Page 101 of 160 FirstFirst ... 51 91 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 111 151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2400

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Taylor is going to play for Seagulls this weekend
    I don't see him name on their team sheet and he isn't included in the list of ins for them either. Where did you hear that? Hope its true.

That is a great interview from Gordon. The players are definitely talking positive and training sounds like it is much more intense. But let's hope they walk the walk and show it on the field this week. We have to beat this understrength Storm team.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    I don't see him name on their team sheet and he isn't included in the list of ins for them either. Where did you hear that? Hope its true.
    Yeah it’s all over the news now

Titans on notice: Brennan won't be last to go

Titans players have been put on notice that they will follow deposed coach Garth Brennan out the door if they don't raise their standards.

Following a dressing-down by head of performance and culture Mal Meninga on Monday, the intensity at training on Thursday was noticeably higher in a team that has already been given a major shake-up.

Prop forward Jarrod Wallace copped a smack to the mouth as players showed an immediate response to Meninga, the coaching staff of Craig Hodges, Luke Burt, Ezra Howe and Burleigh Bears coach Jim Lenihan demanding an effort-based approach.

Experienced heads Dale Copley and Michael Gordon both spoke of the "line in the sand" drawn by Meninga and club hierarchy that has left the playing group under no illusions about what is expected now and in the future.

"Garth's obviously had his contract terminated and we're still under review," Copley explained.

"He's the first but I dare say he won't be the last.

"We're all under review now. He's the first one to lose his job out of this but if the season finished today we're getting the wooden spoon.

"As a playing group we've got eight weeks, that's all we know."

Gordon resumes this week after being cleared of a potentially life-threatening blood disorder and is likely in the final year of his NRL career before linking next year with the Tweed Coast Raiders in the Northern Rivers Rugby League.

He said that the playing group were left with a very clear understanding of what club officials now expect of those who pull on a Titans jersey.

"We had a meeting the other day and the club made it clear that you're either on board of where they want to go or you'll be moved on," said the 35-year-old ahead of his 255th appearance.

"You've got to either buy into what they're trying to do here or you'll be pissed off.

"The line's been drawn in the sand. We've been under-performing, there's no way to sugar-coat it. The club financially and off the field is in a good position and now it's up to the players.

"They only want people at the club that want to be part of the club and want to be a part of it being successful. If you're going to sit around kick stones and be selfish then you'll be moved on."

Having spent time at both the Broncos and Roosters, Copley admitted that he thought the training intensity under Brennan had been in some cases short of what should be expected of an NRL team.

"There's been a distinct change in attitude and you all probably noticed a change in training intensity out there,” Copley said.

"I felt like sometimes we could have done things more intense with less breaks in our training sessions," he said.

"The crux of it was that what we were doing wasn't working so we had to change things.

"There were no ifs, buts or maybes about that. The club was really honest with that and as players, we have to jump on board and buy into what's happening to take the club forward and the vision that they have."

Rep Player

Love what I'm hearing from the players.

First Grader

Interesting that jim lenihan has been at training, is that a regular thing?

I would offer that too many water breaks etc are the decision of support staff rather than the coach. The players seem like a bunch of petulant, puerile, precocious pr1cks.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    Interesting that jim lenihan has been at training, is that a regular thing?
    Not sure mate. I had to ask a Titans Staff member who the angry sounding coach was. He was ripping into them all.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    Not sure mate. I had to ask a Titans Staff member who the angry sounding coach was. He was ripping into them all.
    Yeah I was loving the guy’s work and just thought he must be a staff member who’s been elevated. It wasn’t till I read the Webeck article that I did a Homer Simpson “doh” to myself.

Immortal

Very very confident Jai Arrow will sign a long term deal with the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    Sounds like you have heard something mdrew so hope you are right mate. I’d be very surprised if he did leave though, as long as our offer is competitive he said he would stay.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    Fingers toes and whatever else I can cross that this becomes true

Jimmy L at training and Jai Arrow extensions make me a happy chappy.

now lets blood some youngins and clear out the deadwood.

Junior

TITANS
    Mal Meninga’s heartfelt message to Gold Coast Titans fans
    MAL MENINGA, The Courier-Mail
    July 18, 2019 6:00am
    Subscriber only
    I can understand if Titans fans are feeling tired and frustrated about the sheer amount of noise that has engulfed the club over the past few days.

I am feeling the same way.

But I wanted to use my column to tell Titans fans this simple truth: All of this noise is external.

None of the noise is coming from, or affecting, the club in any way.

The events of the past couple of days have placed the Titans in the eye of a media cyclone.

While the world around us might be swirling with hysteria and opinion from everyone under the sun having their say on what they think the club should or shouldn’t do, inside the club, things are calm and collected.

We get it. It’s rugby league. It is unfortunately the nature of the beast.

The State of Origin storm has blown over and moved on. Now the Titans, having parted ways with our coach in the middle of a disappointing season, have become Ground Zero for rugby league’s hysteria machine.

And like Queenslanders in a cyclone, the Titans are not wasting any time listening to or worrying about the howling outside our four walls. We’re inside, just getting on with what we need to do.

The majority of people mean well, and everyone is entitled to an opinion, of course.

None of that concerns us as a club. My only worry was that Titans fans might be finding themselves swept along in the chaos of people outside of the club telling us what we should and shouldn’t be doing.

People telling us who our next coach should be, who is the logical choice, the sensible choice, the left-field choice, the high-risk choice and the only choice.

People telling us the mistakes this club has made in the past, and the decisions we must make now to avoid disaster in the future.

Reporters acting as messengers for managers, breathlessly revealing every day about another name that has “put their name in the ring”, ruled themselves out of contention, been secretly contacted by the club, or who are being pursued by another club.

How many times in the past few days have you heard someone talking about the Titans begin a sentence with phrases like “I’m hearing”, or “sources close to the club” before declaring as “a certainty” any one of the 12 names linked to the Titans in the past four days?

Honestly, it is terrific that people are interested. But none of this has any effect at all on what the club is doing, and the process that we are going through.

So I wanted to use this column to tell Titans fans exactly what is going from the club’s point of view.

Firstly, the club is in good hands. We are under control, and we understand what we are doing.

The decisions that will be made about the Titans and the club’s future will be made in the interests of the club, and nothing else.
    We have the right people here to choose a coach on merit, and who is the best fit for the club, not because someone was highly recommended by someone outside the club with their own agenda to run.

We are rebuilding a club here, and the changes that we are making are across the whole of the organisation and everyone within it holding themselves accountable to higher standards.

The players met as a group on Monday to discuss the road ahead. They are positive, holding themselves accountable, responding well to new direction and some honest truths.

As a club we are focused on finishing the season on a positive note, showing what we are capable of to our supporters, and to build a base for us to build on over the off-season and into next year.

As an organisation we have made significant ground in a number of areas this year, with league-leading work in areas like community, Physical Disabilities Rugby League, women’s rugby league and inclusion.

We are embracing our history, forging our identity, and are clear in the values, vision and mission that drive us every day.

The club is in good health, and getting stronger.

We still have work to do, of course. But this is work that will be done behind closed doors.

The decisions that we make will not be done as an exhibition or a sideshow, no matter how much certain people would like them to be.

This is not a popularity contest, or reality TV. We are building a club for the Gold Coast and the NRL to be proud of.

We will get it done.

We believe in what we are doing, we have a strategic direction we are committed to and we know where we are going.

We are the Titans. We’ve got this.