Page 99 of 160 FirstFirst ... 49 89 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 109 149 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 2400
    Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    My point being that SOME of our juniors are led to believe, or believe that the grass is greener.
    Yeah I’m with you. I want our locals to be pushing our locals to be proud of being GC and want to be part of putting us on the sporting map.

All we can do to convince juniors and managers that we can further their career is to have a couple of years of success. Easier said then done but it's the only way. No one wants to play for their local club if they are losing year after year

I would much prefer the club to save some salary cap and release most of these big money guys and just sign some experienced blokes on the cheap to build a culture and with our exciting youth with brimson, arrow, Boyd, Kelly, Ash, hipgrave and others give this team 2-3 years we really could be something and reward the young guys that are performing and use the money to upgrade them instead. Just my thoughts on what I think the club should do like if we seriously don’t spend any big money on guys from other clubs we could finally see some finals! Also I’d make Arrow captain!

Good call Blade, the one big thing we are missing is experience and leadership. A major reason why we did well in 2016 was because we have guys like Friendy, Shillo, Taia etc in the team adding some professionalism and hard work. We are desperately missing some old heads

the funny thing is the names on the list for that money would be worth it if they play to their ability, so i believe it all comes back to coaching still and getting players to play at their level

Latu is the exception - not sure what silent bidding war got his price to 500k

someone also mentioned we will lose arrow like always or something to the effect that we always lose players, but aside form some juniors / fringe first graders i cant recall many players we lost that we wanted to keep recently.

I'll put my hand up DB for the Arrow comment. I don't agree with your assessment regarding who we lose. DCE is the most famous, GL, Brian Kelly, Paasi, even Burr over some of the overpaid wankers we have here at the moment, Peachey is another one (or about to be). Jeez if we kept Sezer we wouldn't be in this mess with Taylor now. If our club checked signatures on contracts we'd still have some speed in our backs.

It also comes down to who we get (and how much we paid)and how they leave the club. No one wants our marquee players after we are done or even before that. So it's fair to say we don't lose players. They get long contracts and aren't really wanted to any great degree at the end.

Just had a dealing today with someone in the membership department and it's really pissed me off, so, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I sure as hell won't be sticking my neck out anymore with anyone in my circle to defend this club. I get asked 10 times a day, "whos gonna be the new coach?" My answer, the coach is the least of our problems.

I’ll agree with Kelly, we should never have lost him. However GL has gone on to do nothing, Paasi desperately wanted to return to NZ, Burr I don’t rate (half a good season doesn’t mean much) and who could have predicted what happened with DCE (which is why we lost Sezer)

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    I’ll agree with Kelly, we should never have lost him. However GL has gone on to do nothing, Paasi desperately wanted to return to NZ, Burr I don’t rate (half a good season doesn’t mean much) and who could have predicted what happened with DCE (which is why we lost Sezer)
    Agree totally. Burr is just plodding along with the Warriors doing nothing special and I never rated Paasi highly. I'd forgotten about GL until I saw him in a team list last weekend. As for Kelly he has come back a much better player that he was when he left. I could say you should be grateful what Manly have made him but to me it is more of a worry that he needed to leave to improve.

Junior

Josh Reynolds free to negotiate with other clubs. Thoughts??

I'll put my hand up DB for the Arrow comment. I don't agree with your assessment regarding who we lose. DCE is the most famous, GL, Brian Kelly, Paasi, even Burr over some of the overpaid wankers we have here at the moment, Peachey is another one (or about to be). Jeez if we kept Sezer we wouldn't be in this mess with Taylor now. If our club checked signatures on contracts we'd still have some speed in our backs.

It also comes down to who we get (and how much we paid)and how they leave the club. No one wants our marquee players after we are done or even before that. So it's fair to say we don't lose players. They get long contracts and aren't really wanted to any great degree at the end.

Just had a dealing today with someone in the membership department and it's really pissed me off, so, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I sure as hell won't be sticking my neck out anymore with anyone in my circle to defend this club. I get asked 10 times a day, "whos gonna be the new coach?" My answer, the coach is the least of our problems.
    Id love to hear more about what happened with the membership dept if you are able to elaborate. sounds like a crap day for yuo mate.

the other topic - those players you mentioned are sorta my point, DCE and James Roberts debacles aside. The others we were happy to let go as they weren't part of our plans. Sezer is a good example - we had DCE ( we thought so at least ) and had resigned Elgey and thought we were sweet, and Sezer himself was not loved on the forum, his early potential had waned and hasn't been amazing in Canberra either. In hindsight though, even an average Sezer would have turned out better than LG or Ash it seems.

Maybe we should have wanted to keep some and that's a different problem altogether, but when James, Peats, Wallace, Ash as the most recent high profile big money signings were available they all stayed. It may not feel like it now when we are rock bottom and in despair, but from memory when each of these players came up for renewal it was exactly the same as this Arrow situation - everyone from outside saying James, Ash and Wallace all going back to Brisbane, meeting with Bennett etc. We were stressing out on forum and stoked when they stayed with us as much for the vote of confidence in our club as their ability.

Like you said, its because we mostly offered silly money, but i just cant think of many people i'm pissed about losing.

BK was maybe the only one i was disappointed about, but GL and Burr weren't doing anything for us, and I'm sure Paasi was on our **** list of players who weren't aiming up after a great Auckland 9's and a handful of good games afterwards got him an upgraded deal that we didn't want to stump up again.

I think we are sort of on the same side of a few things here and mostly agree- we pay too much to keep players, who then go down in value due to a variety of issues, and lost some fringe players here and there, we just differ in opinion on the recruitment strategy to keep them or let them leave.

Arrow will be an important one as his signature is a credibility test for us from an outside perspective.

love your contribution JB, hate that we are going through this crap time as a club and as fans together on the forum, so our chats i hope are just in depth opinions and sharing of perspectives. Hope in 2 years we are talking about much happier times

Same page DB, I'm just at a glass half empty stage.

As for the membership department issue....first world problems.
    Last edited by JunctionBlock; 17-07-19 at 07:02 PM.

Same page DB, I'm just at a glass half empty stage.
    yeah i hear ya mate. im doing my best. found some encouraging reading just on a player we all love to hate this year

Jarrod Wallace - would love to get some opinions form forum folk on what we think of him.

I think he is doing better than he gets credit for - his lazy penalties piss me right off, and he has the occasional amble to the line, but i have said a few weeks ago he has had some great games and probably more really good games than Arrow this year, prior to Arrows injury. I was pissed when i thought we over paid for him at 650-700k, but if the fox numbers of 500k are correct i think that's good value for a fringe origin player.

So i ran some numbers on his year and checked it out and i think our perception of him doesn't align.

Wallace has 6th most run metres out of forwards for the season behind Lolo, Klemmer, TKO, Jesse Brom and Tapau. He is ahead of Vaughn, Tamou, Jake Turbo, Fonua Blake among others, and his average metres per game of 154 is ahead of Arrows 145. he makes 16.3 runs per game to Jai's 15.8.

He is 7th in post contact metres amongst forwards with average of 52 per game, compared to Arrows 54, right up there behind the best forwards in game.

He leads the comp in charge downs, which don't do a lot but is a great indicator of effort i believe. Think of your Steve Prices and Matt Gillett's over the years making those efforts time and again.

now for the negative, which again might surprise. Wallace averages 1 error per game ( 14 errors from 14 games ) and is outside the top 50 in this stat.

he also has 12 penalties from 14 games for a 0.9 penalty per game average which sees him around 25th in the comp. I swear it feels like he gives away plenty more but it must be when he does it cos it bothers me every time.

So overall we have a prop who runs for 150+ metres per game from 16+ runs, doesn't make many errors, and gives away less than one penalty per match, who also shows up in effort category of charge down and leads or is equal in major stats to our saviour and lord Jai Arrow.

Wallace didn't have the best Origin game perhaps ( not many did ), and has had a couple of lower games this year, but on the whole he should be well down the rung of players we are giving negative attention to and is probably one of the guys keeping us in a lot of games.

for 500k i think he is actually very good value - the guys above him and below him on those lists are the elite players and on big monies - he just needs a better publicist and to top the lazy penalty that's get on our nerves

Wow superb post DB. Wasn't aware of a lot of those stats and reading through that it seems we are far too critical. If he could further reduce the dumb penalties in crucial times he is an absolute steal for that price. You definitely can't doubt his effort with, as you said, his charge downs and the way he has been forced to lift another level to cover for James.

Also has set up a couple of tries with that hit short and turn to pass play they like to do with Wall. He's one of the few trying for the full 80 especially in a tight game.

Titans set to offer $4 million deal to keep Jai Arrow at Gold Coast

The Gold Coast Titans are preparing a staggering deal to keep Origin star Jai Arrow at Robina, as at least eight other clubs circle. See the full details of the offer here.

Peter Badel, EXCLUSIVE, The Courier-Mail
    Subscriber only
    |
    an hour ago

Jai Arrow says his preference is to stay at the Titans as culture chief Mal Meninga prepares to table a club record $4 million deal to keep the Queensland Origin ironman on the Gold Coast.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the Titans are putting together the biggest contract package in the club’s 12-year history to stave off a poaching threat for one of the NRL’s most inspirational young forwards.

And Arrow last night uttered the words every Gold Coast fan wanted to hear, insisting he will not walk out on the Titans if the club can table a competitive deal.

“My preference is to stay,” Arrow said.

“To be honest, I love the Titans as a club and on paper our team can be anything.

“We have some individual superstars and while we aren’t clicking as a team at the moment, I’m confident we can build something special in the future and I hope to be a part of that.”

With the Titans in desperate need of a feel-good story following the sacking of coach Garth Brennan, Meninga is moving proactively to retain the Queensland Origin star on a long-term deal.

Titans powerbrokers have started talks on a mega five-year extension to keep Arrow on the glitter strip until the end of 2025.

Arrow is already contracted until the end of 2020, but Meninga wants the 24-year-old to remain a Titan for life with a view to the Maroons tackling machine one day becoming a Gold Coast captain.

It is understood the Titans are willing to pay at least $800,000 a season.

A five-year package worth $4 million officially trumps the three-year, $3 million arrangement handed to halfback Ash Taylor in 2017.

Eight NRL rivals have expressed interest in Arrow including the Eels, Tigers, Bulldogs, Sharks and Dragons, but it will take a $1 million-plus offer for Sydney clubs to have any hope of luring the Origin ace away from Queensland.

Potential suitors can begin formal talks with Arrow from November 1 this year. By then, the Titans plan to have Arrow locked in and off the open market.

“The fact is I’m happy at the club and I’m happy on the Gold Coast,” Arrow said.

“My manager has called me and told me we’ve started talks with the Titans.

“I’m trying not to get caught up in all the contract stuff. I have a manager and that’s why I pay him – to sort out my future and negotiate the best deal possible.”

Arrow, who has played 57 NRL games, has not forgotten the Titans’ role in turning him into an Origin player.

The Junior Kangaroo was a fringe first-grader at the Broncos, playing 24 games in two seasons before his move to the Gold Coast last year to clinch a regular starting spot.

In a further boost for the Titans, Arrow is hoping to return from ankle surgery in the next fortnight, possibly in time for the Gold Coast’s clash against the Broncos on Saturday week.

“My rehab has come along really well,” he said.

“My season isn’t over. I’m looking at around round 19 (for a comeback), so I’ll get the next five or six games in which I am happy with.

“Initially, I thought I would be done for the season but I’d love to get a good month of footy and build some confidence leading in the 2020 season.”

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    yeah i hear ya mate. im doing my best. found some encouraging reading just on a player we all love to hate this year

Jarrod Wallace - would love to get some opinions form forum folk on what we think of him.

I think he is doing better than he gets credit for - his lazy penalties piss me right off, and he has the occasional amble to the line, but i have said a few weeks ago he has had some great games and probably more really good games than Arrow this year, prior to Arrows injury. I was pissed when i thought we over paid for him at 650-700k, but if the fox numbers of 500k are correct i think that's good value for a fringe origin player.

So i ran some numbers on his year and checked it out and i think our perception of him doesn't align.

Wallace has 6th most run metres out of forwards for the season behind Lolo, Klemmer, TKO, Jesse Brom and Tapau. He is ahead of Vaughn, Tamou, Jake Turbo, Fonua Blake among others, and his average metres per game of 154 is ahead of Arrows 145. he makes 16.3 runs per game to Jai's 15.8.

He is 7th in post contact metres amongst forwards with average of 52 per game, compared to Arrows 54, right up there behind the best forwards in game.

He leads the comp in charge downs, which don't do a lot but is a great indicator of effort i believe. Think of your Steve Prices and Matt Gillett's over the years making those efforts time and again.

now for the negative, which again might surprise. Wallace averages 1 error per game ( 14 errors from 14 games ) and is outside the top 50 in this stat.

he also has 12 penalties from 14 games for a 0.9 penalty per game average which sees him around 25th in the comp. I swear it feels like he gives away plenty more but it must be when he does it cos it bothers me every time.

So overall we have a prop who runs for 150+ metres per game from 16+ runs, doesn't make many errors, and gives away less than one penalty per match, who also shows up in effort category of charge down and leads or is equal in major stats to our saviour and lord Jai Arrow.

Wallace didn't have the best Origin game perhaps ( not many did ), and has had a couple of lower games this year, but on the whole he should be well down the rung of players we are giving negative attention to and is probably one of the guys keeping us in a lot of games.

for 500k i think he is actually very good value - the guys above him and below him on those lists are the elite players and on big monies - he just needs a better publicist and to top the lazy penalty that's get on our nerves
    I agree with you about Wallace DB in that I also think he has gone better than people perceive, however I know you are a big stats man and I am more of "what I see I believe" type. The run metres stat is a perfect example - no one could possibly say that his form is at the level of Vaughan, Jake Turbo, and Fonua-Blake and not by a long way. That is why I often treat stats with a bit of indifference. It's a bit like the old completion rate stat - I've seen teams recently that had completed 17 from 17 but hadn't scored a try because, although they had a high completion rate it was low threat to any defence.
    Good research mate, and I'm not trying to pick holes for the sake of it.