Page 145 of 160 FirstFirst ... 45 95 135 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 155 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 2400

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Annesley destroying our cap and then running away is why I can’t believe he has the hide to now be hinting at wanting to be on the GCCC and get his paws on our rate money.

I reckon Taylor wants to go to the Drongoes for sure, he probably thinks they have magic dust that will transform him into who he should be.
    If we stay strong I believe he will fold and ask for an unconditional release.
    Bods. I think you have made your feelings on GA quite well known and unfounded. Time for you to move on from the character assignation. Yes your also right we will have to disagree on this point as you really have no idea in your attacks on GA and the way he left this club.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    Bods. I think you have made your feelings on GA quite well known and unfounded. Time for you to move on from the character assignation. Yes your also right we will have to disagree on this point as you really have no idea in your attacks on GA and the way he left this club.
    He was the big boss right? Surely you agree our salary cap is a total disaster. That’s all I’m getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    Bods I think you are dreaming if you think Taylor will ask for an unconditional release. Would you if you were on a guaranteed million, and you've got principles. As for Ash.....
    I'm not as critical as Bods re Annesley, particularly in relation to Taylors salary as that was fallout from the DCE backflip. However Annesley quickly didn't last long in State politics, not long here, continues to oversight tragic refereeing (and done nothing about the Sutton appointments by his brother) and now has made noises about leaving the NRL job. I think he is a thoroughly decent man but people that don't stick around in jobs worry me.

Inactive User

^^^ fair enough. I’m just trying to read his head. I think he’s capable of folding.

MT —- Bods —— Fair points.
    Re the time Graham stays in the job however as NSW Sports Minister one of the reasons he left that role was that he was head hunted for the Titans CEO role, David Smith could see the writing on the wall for the Titans so he may have worked with Searle etc to have David Smiths Man In the job being GA. GA was NSW Sports Minister From 3 April 2011 to 28 August 2013 he was the Minister for Sport and Recreation in the O'Farrell Government ( 2 Yrs Approx ). So he served as Titans CEO from approx September 2013 through to the end of last year 2018 ( approx 5 and a quarter years.) With his appointment to the NRL he was again Head Hunted by Greenburg to the Role and not left the Titans Role for any other reason other than being headhunted.

AS per article in The Australian 28 August 2018 “ “Todd approached me a few weeks ago and asked me whether I would be prepared to take the job on. I had to talk to the owners and my wife, and thought about it. I still think I have something to contribute and ultimately thought it was a good challenge.”

He stated that when he left the Titans Role that he and his wife will move back to the Gold Coast. I’m guessing that the Refs situation is far more toxic and a harder beast to change. He did sideways move Tony Archer and with the lack of depth on the refereeing ranks he probably had little choice to do more , however with Archer moved it has bought few more Refs back and we will see Sutton and Co moved on in time.

As for Ash Taylors contract please see FoxSports article dated May 17 2017 and bit below. Tony Mestrov was the one that did the Tayor deal who then left us 4-5 months later.
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...8077559941c085

Speaking on the Market Watch podcast, Titans chief operating officer, Tony Mestrov, said he was conscious of getting the pitch to Taylor right.
    That starts with the price tag and finishes with a close friendship that could act as the club's secret weapon.
    “We’re aware of his market value,” Mestrov said, adding that the Titans were prepared to pay it.
    “There is a bit of potential being paid out there. He probably hasn’t got to his potential yet. We think he will given what has done this year and the upside he’s got in him.”

As per “ big boss right? Surely you agree our salary cap is a total disaster.”

Yep the Cap is not good at the minute however lets look at the signings that are hurting us. Latu is the only signing that Brennan did that at the time of signing didn’t add up. Looking at Peachy he was at the time of signing a NSW Origin player and looked like a guy that will play origin for a few years and was playing pretty well at Penrith so a NSW Origin player who is a back at $600K is not unreasonable ( According to Zero Tackle Chambers is on $700K and 31 years old ) Peachy 26.

Shannon Boyd. Similar story to Peachey $600K and at the time of signing he was an Australian Rep .So once again $600K not unreasonable considering Ryan James is on $700k ??

Cartwright….well he “ Could Be Anything “ Had a good 2016 season and fair 2017 season. According to Zero Tackle he too is on $600K. Given he was 23 and looked like breaking into the NSW squad it could be seen that we were paying for potential so at the time he would have been valued at around that much, we need to note that he was released from the Panthers so he may have come with some sort of payout.

So yes the buck stopped with GA but beside Latu in my opinion the players WHEN SIGNED were worth those amounts give or take a few $$ ( I don’t believe they do now ). I ask the question….. IF we finished top 8 and Boyd, Cartwright and Peachey played a big role in getting us in the 8 would you still say the same thing ??
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Can't agree with Latu being the only signing that didn't make sense.

Brennan was used by Gould as a patsy for taking all their deadwood and he fell for it. Boyd, a bench player with hamstring issues. The only reason we supposedly went to market to get him was because Wallace was shopping himself to the Broncos (who didn't want him) and we fell for it. Signed Wallace and somehow didn't withdraw our offer to Boyd, even Ricky Stuart publicly mocked us on that one. Cartwright wasn't a reserve grade player and Brennan thought he could get the best out of him, well another failure. Only decent signing out of their should have been Peachey, then he wanted more money, then he wanted out. Brennan is more to blame than GA for our cap mess and yet we still haven't been able to move players on, so who does that fall on now? Head of Football? Does anyone manage our cap or are they all on constant holidays like the majority of our faceless club employees.

What I don’t get in this why not offload the friggin lot of deadwood to ESL for half freight? And then invest in a bunch of kids?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Brian Kelly a nominee for centre of the year, if he can fix his defence he could be anything, don't know how he wasn't included in the PM's 13 side

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    What I don’t get in this why not offload the friggin lot of deadwood to ESL for half freight? And then invest in a bunch of kids?
    Hopefully it's happening behind the scenes because if it isn't then our club has no idea.

Maybe the answer lies in what Holbrook can do with these blokes. I think we stagnated under Brennan. Our players didn't improve much (Mo and Arrow are machines that don't need much fine tuning...but the rest could have upped their game) and some went backwards. Way backwards...

I've been trying to put my finger on the timeline of when Ash Taylor went off his game. I reckon it was around origin time last year when all the talk was about how he might be picked...but Qld went with DCE. He seemed to take that as a real kick in the guts.

A good coach would have turned that disappointment into fuel for the fire in his game...but he went into a real slack time instead, and hasn't emerged from it yet. Before that, wasn't he always right up there with try assists? Somehow he lost his hunger at the precise time he should have been starving. I put that down to ineffective coaching.

The majority of the team have been treading water for the last couple of years now too. Merely going through the motions. No consistent energy as a team. No hungry aggression as a team. No seeming will, as a team, to win at all costs.

There have been standout individual glimpses. Sami's efforts at times were great. Wallace was a warrior and Mo and Arrow need no talk up. AJ will benefit from having the number 1 jersey fulltime next year and should become a regular standout. There were times in different games this year when individuals stood up and shone. That gives me hope that the future may be bright if we can consistently get the best out of our roster.

Holbrook might be the man to do that. Brennan and Co had very little to offer and delivered just that. JMO.
    Last edited by Menoitios; 02-10-19 at 08:55 AM.

First Grader

The funny thing is if all our players play to their ability they have previously played at, they are worth the money theyre on (maybe not latu) and we become a top 8, maybe even top 4 side. Lets hope holbrook can get this team into gear.

Halves start to peak at 27, if holbrook can get ashs mind right his best years could well and truly be ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    The funny thing is if all our players play to their ability they have previously played at, they are worth the money theyre on and we become a top 8, maybe even top 4 side. Lets hope holbrook and get this team into gear.

Halves start to peak at 27, if holbrook can get ashs mind right his best years could well and truly be ahead of him.
    That's how I view it as well. If he can manage Ash back into form, and bring Tanah Boyd's game along...they could be a very good halves pairing.

I hope he can improve...or maybe I should say...get our roster (the "dead wood") back to where they were, and then add a little polish to their game...who knows how good we could be. Sprinkle the entire outfit with some decent coaching and the results may surprise even the most staunch naysayers.

Time will tell.

Love the optimism, I think this season has really shown how important good coaching is, with Des and Ricky getting their teams far above everyones expectations, and the master coach’s Bellamy and Robinson keeping their teams at the highest level. And then on the other hand you look at our team, and the Dragons who we’re extremely disappointing due to their hopeless coach. Holbrook looks like a good one so lets hope he can really help the team improve.

How’s everyone feeling about Jai staying at the moment? There hasn’t been any news on him in a long time which I take as a good thing, I’d rather that than hear about him meeting with other teams.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by hangingon View Post
    Love the optimism, I think this season has really shown how important good coaching is, with Des and Ricky getting their teams far above everyones expectations, and the master coach’s Bellamy and Robinson keeping their teams at the highest level. And then on the other hand you look at our team, and the Dragons who we’re extremely disappointing due to their hopeless coach. Holbrook looks like a good one so lets hope he can really help the team improve.

How’s everyone feeling about Jai staying at the moment? There hasn’t been any news on him in a long time which I take as a good thing, I’d rather that than hear about him meeting with other teams.
    I think with Arrow it comes down to money, which is dependent on whether we can offload Taylor. 150k won’t cut it and I think the Broncos will go with Croft anyway. So at this point I think he’s gone unless we pull off a miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    I think with Arrow it comes down to money, which is dependent on whether we can offload Taylor. 150k won’t cut it and I think the Broncos will go with Croft anyway. So at this point I think he’s gone unless we pull off a miracle.
    Haven’t we offered him 750k though? And this is for 2020 when we have 14 players off contract we can offer him as much as he wants. I thought if he left it would be because he wants a more successful club, not money.