Page 51 of 160 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 101 151 ... LastLast

Titans halfback Ash Taylor has lost six kilos in the off-season in his quest to win a Queensland jersey after identifying excess weight and a lack of peak fitness was preventing him reaching his potential.
    The streamlined 23-year-old Titan spoke to NRL.com in camp with the Emerging Maroons squad on the Sunshine Coast on Saturday where the results of three months of hard yakka were plain to see.
    "This is the best I have been since playing in the NRL. I am down to 87 kilos after I was playing at 93 last year. I set myself a target to play lighter this year and to be stronger and fitter so that is what I have been working on over the off-season," Taylor said.
    "Last year I wasn’t in the entire game and there was a 10-minute period that really let me down. The biggest thing is to make sure I am fit and healthy enough to ensure I am playing for that full 80 minutes and not fading out of games.

"To make this Queensland team you have to sacrifice some things off the field to make sure you are in the best
    Taylor’s progress has come on the back of a change in mentality, a revamped diet and extra training sessions under the guidance of new Titans head of performance Dan
    "It is about really wanting to do it. I think last year I didn’t think as much about my body as I am now,” Taylor sai"It started with my diet and cutting down the unnecessary carbs. Dan Ferris has had a massive impact on me this year. We’ve done a lot of extra sessions before training at six o’clock every morning with off-feet cardio work on the bike, rower or skier.

"You get a few injuries and you think ‘it will be alright’ but this year I am looking after all my bumps and bruises and preparing like I am getting ready for a game each time I go to training."
    Taylor had a season of two halves in 2018. After his first 14 games he had 16 try assists to his credit but added just one more in the final 10 rounds.

He can pinpoint where and why it all went south. Taylor was close to being given his Maroons debut in game three of last year’s Holden State of Origin series but coach Kevin Walters ultimately went with Daly Cherry-Evans.

The Gold Coast playmaker wanted that jersey dearly and conceded missing out affected the way he played from then on. He has learned a valuable lesson from the experience.

"Garth [Brennan] and Kevvie didn’t really tell me I was in the mix until after the team was named. They both pulled me aside and told me to keep my head up after Cherry was given the opportunity," Taylor said.

"I was really disappointed about not making the team and I started playing not consistent footy for the Titans. The biggest thing I learned is not to let it get into your mind, but being young you can’t help it because growing up that is your dream, to pull on that Queensland jumper.

"In saying that I need to just worry about my footy and my team and make sure I am playing good footy at the Titans so that if that opportunity does arise I can make sure I take it. To prove I belong in that Origin arena I need to be better, and to play consistent footy all the time."
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Thanks for that, Titanic! I hope Ash kills it this year. Our fitness levels were rubbish last year and the slop gut efforts at times were sad. At other times we were firing and looked really good. Hopefully we get consistency this year.

Good onya, Ash! And a big shout out to Dan Ferris and his crew as well!!!

We may lose a few during origin this year....but then we'll get to see how good the depth is.

2019 is going to be a beauty!
    Last edited by Menoitios; 20-01-19 at 01:44 PM.

I reckon Peachey wakes up every morning, looks out the window and says to himself “Gus who?” And every evening when he gets home from training he asks his missus “have you sold that crapbox back in Penriff yet?”
    Last edited by Titanic; 20-01-19 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I reckon Peachey wakes up every morning, looks out the window and says to himself “Gus who?” And every evening when he gets home from training he asks his missus “have you sold that crapbox back in Penriff yet?”
    I hope so!

I ran into Ash at a service station about a month ago and he looked in good nick for sure.

This preseason has everything pointing in the right direction.

Almost surreal to be honest.

The Gold Coast Titans have secured another recruitment coup with Maroons legend Trevor Gillmeister joining the coaching staff in an official capacity as a defensive consultant.

Gillmeister attended sessions last year to assist coach Garth Brennan on an ad-hoc basis but is now going to be on board each week in 2019.

The Titans leaked 582 points in 2018, the fourth worst in the NRL. They lost seven games by eight points or less as defensive errors often proved decisive.

Gillmeister will be on board two days a week in pre-season and one day a week once the Telstra Premiership begins.

He worked as an assistant and defensive coach at the Titans from 2007 until 2014 and is highly regarded for his defensive nous and for capacity to get that knowledge across to the players.

"Gilly is an icon of the game and has done it all in the game himself. He is renowned for his contact in defence and that is what he is on board with us for," Brennan told NRL.com.

>

Five key matchups of the Titans' 2019 draw
    "I want him to really work on our first-up contact, which is Gilly's area of expertise. It is true that our defence last year suffered at times.

"A couple of one-on-one misses in defence was probably the difference between playing semi-final football and not because it cost us games at times.

"Gilly is another voice in the club and a well-respected guy who has a bit of clout in the game so he is someone I think the players can learn a lot from.

Gilly ticks two boxes. He loves the Gold Coast Titans and he is a passionate Queenslander
    Garth Brennan on Trevor Gillmeister
    "The other side of things is that he will do some one-on-one stuff with the guys who need to work on their tackle technique."

Gillmeister attended Titans training a fortnight ago, after which he told NRL.com that he had been approached by Brennan to do more with the club this season.

"It is not just a fly-in and fly-out arrangement like it was last year. We've got him on deck for the whole season and he is now part of our staff," Brennan said.

"He is not full-time but he is part of our coaching roster. He will also be working with all the coaches as far as defence goes. He won't be organising defensive structures. It will be all about the contact side of things because he is one of the best the game has ever seen."

Gillmeister won premierships with the Brisbane Broncos but told NRL.com recently that the Titans remained dear to his heart ever since he became foundation member of the coaching staff. His desire to ensure the Titans succeed has also impressed Brennan.

"Gilly ticks two boxes. He loves the Gold Coast Titans and he is a passionate Queenslander and that can only benefit us," Brennan said.

Not completely over the moon about gillmeister joining the coaching staff again. Seems like a gravy train job to me.

Inactive User

Yeah I agree Dools. He’s a remnant of the Cartwright era where the defence under his coordination was pretty crappy.

Yeh bods. I remember when they sacked him and he stated he was surprised that they hadn't sacked him sooner. If he didn't do a good job then, I can't see it improving.

Ok lads, I did what I promised and went down to training this morning and saw a lot of interesting things.

Firstly regarding the squad: they looked up for it and well motivated. The talk as they arrived at training was very animated and there weren't any standout loners amongst the group. They got stuck into warm-ups and such quickly and they responded to instructions well ... even though it was pretty warm.

Secondly the rehab group. Stockwell was doing groin maintenance while Copley, Hipgrave and somebody I couldn't recognise, possibly Boyle, were on the bikes, etc.

Thirdly, the team did contact work and I was pleasantly surprised by the effort of Boyd (who has earned the nickname "Darius") who looks big and fit. I can honestly say they do look really fit ... yes, I know, you all want to know about Taylor. He wasn't there ... just kidding, yes he was but it wasn't the Taylor of 2018, let me tell you. The media are not wrong and I really didn't recognise him until he got on the field. He's much much fitter, lost the baby fat and whippet quick ... what more can I say.

Fourth, the first team structure. Brennan started with: 1. Gordon, 2. Lee (left wing), 3. Peachey (left centre), 4. Kelly, 5. Don, 6. Brimson, 7. Taylor, 8. Wallace, 9. Peats, 10. Boyd, 11. James (left edge), 12. Proctor, 13. Arrow ... MoFo was subbing into that team. Half way through Don was replaced by Lee who moved to the right wing and Sami took his spot on the left.

Fifth, the rest of the squad. They generally matched the other squad around the edges but got done in the middle. However, Cartwright looked really sharp, as did the Roberts/Jacks combo while none of the kids looked out of place.

Sixth, handing errors are still in the DNA but it was freakin' hot (did I say that already?).

Just wanted to add that there is some serious mentoring going on between the seniors players and the others. Gordon/Brimson and Wallace/MoFo.

Exhausted from watching them now so will sign off but I can honestly say that I enjoyed that a lot. I wasn't lonely either there was a growing number of interested bystanders and media as well ... recommend you all to get down there and show your support.
    Last edited by Titanic; 22-01-19 at 04:05 PM.

thanks titanic appreciate the info

Good positive stuff Titanic! cheers

First Grader

Good read, thanks mate

Legend mate, thanks for that.

Well, Taylor has fired the first shot stating that he wants Roberts in 6 and Brimson in 1.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Well, Taylor has fired the first shot stating that he wants Roberts in 6 and Brimson in 1.
    More info please
    Actually I found it

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/22/...in-the-halves/

This is exactly why I was against the recycling of The Termite.
    100% agree AJ is a better FB and more dynamic but Brennan gets to decide who’s the 5-8. And so it begins.
    To not learn from history.....
    Last edited by Mr Bods; 22-01-19 at 08:33 PM.