Page 55 of 160 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 105 155 ... LastLast
    Junior

Why Titans are the club with a great heart
    MARCH 15, 2019
    NINE players taking to the field in the Titans opening match of the NRL season this weekend sum up what the Gold Coast side has become — “a club with great heart”.

And it’s that sense of community that has positioned the Gold Coast Titans to become a club driven to give local footy stars a crack at the NRL big time.

In their round one clash tomorrow against the Canberra Raiders, the Titans have named a squad that includes nine players who grew up less than an hour’s drive from their home field at Robina.

Coast locals playing for the Gold Coast Titans. BACK ROW (L to R): Jai Arrow — Burleigh Bears — lock forward; Moeaki Fotuaika — Keebra Park High — prop forward; Jarrod Wallace — Runaway Bay Seagulls — prop forward; Ryan James — Bilambil Jets — second row; Kevin Proctor — Currumbin Eagles — second row FRONT ROW (L to R): Tyrone Roberts — Ballina Seagulls — five-eighth; Brian Kelly — Ballina Seagulls — centre; Michael Gordon — Tweed Coast Raiders — fullback; AJ Brimson — Runaway Bay Seagulls — half/fullback
    Jai Arrow, Moeaki Fotuaika, Jarrod Wallace, Ryan James, Kevin Proctor, Tyrone Roberts, Brian Kelly, Michael Gordon and AJ Brimson comprise that nine among the game day team of 17 players — 13 on the field and four on the bench.

OTHER NEWS:

Restaurant busted underpaying staff $50k

‘I always had inklings’ about collapsed company

Property group targets Coast developer in takeover bid

But the Coast connection to the Titans squad also includes a number of fringe first grade players who are likely to get a run throughout the season as well.

Titans executive chairman Dennis Watt said this weekend’s line-up was a great message for juniors wanting to make it into the NRL.

Jai Arrow of the Titans is tackled during the round 24 NRL match between the Gold Coast Titans and the Melbourne Storm at Cbus Super Stadium on August 25, 2018. (Photo by Chris Hyde/Getty Images)
    “You can make it from here, you can stay home on the Gold Coast and Northern Rivers area and fulfil your dreams to become an NRL player, without having to go to Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne,” Mr Watt said.

“To (Titans coach) Garth Brennan’s credit, it’s been a real focus since he’s taken on the coaching role and it has been reinforced even further under the new ownership.

“We’ve got a pretty extraordinary concentration of local players. It’s a tremendous message to send out to local juniors.”

Mr Watt said the money that had been saved in a new stadium deal with the State

Government was being funnelled directly into junior development.

Ryan James comes from the Bilambil Jets. (Photo by Chris Hyde/Getty Images)
    “We brokered that new deal with the State Government and Stadiums Queensland for the hire of Cbus Stadium, so we immediately took those savings and added considerable extra investment and placed it in the development of our junior pathways,’’ he said.

“Those pathways are really strong there and we’ve seen a pretty quick turnaround in terms of creating opportunities for young talent here in the Gold Coast and Northern Rivers area.

“Whether it’s boys or girls … part of the ethos of the club is to help develop rugby league throughout the entire region.”

He said local fans had the opportunity to watch kids they had followed in junior footy playing

Michael Gordon of the Titans. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
    on the big stage.

“I think there is a real joy in watching young talent come through the system,’’ he said.

“Fans can feel like part of the journey, the history of the club. It’s just great to see, quite frankly.

“It’s a club with great heart and I think the community can see that.”

Titans captain Ryan James grew up in the Northern Rivers and played his junior footy with the Bilambil Jets.

He said it showed the character and the culture of the Titans club that so many locals were in the team.

“It’s great the club is at the stage where we can produce local talent and try to retain them, rather than losing them here, there and everywhere,” James said.

“We’ve got enough talent here on the Gold Coast to have a good team.

“It’s good that players are seeing a future here on the Coast. With all the changes that have happened over the last two to three years, it’s really exciting for the club because we haven’t really had the program to really develop these local juniors.

“There’s a process in place where they can come in and train, use the facilities, like Parkwood, where kids can come in and train with the first grade squad and it’s really good to keep them a part of the club.”

Who do you think is the best player in the NRL younger than you?

AJ Brimson is my age (20) and had a good year last year and Payne Haas ... it’s insane how good he is given his age. He is big, powerful and pretty impressive.

This is from a recent kalyn ponga interview in the courier Mail, good about of for AJ from ponga

Quote Originally Posted by GCTTSD View Post

AJ Brimson it’s insane how good he is given his age. He is big, powerful and pretty impressive.

This is from a recent kalyn ponga interview in the courier Mail
    Big?? AJ is 89kgs.

Inactive User

AJ Brimson is my age (20) and had a good year last year and Payne Haas ... it’s insane how good he is given his age. He is big, powerful and pretty impressive.

This is from a recent kalyn ponga interview in the courier Mail, good about of for AJ from ponga
    Both Gold Coast Juniors

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Big?? AJ is 89kgs.
    I'd say he's talking about Payne Haas in that bit

I'd say he's talking about Payne Haas in that bit
    Yep,my bad. I should read things a bit more carefully!

Gold Coast Titans front-rower Morgan Boyle in mid-season switch to Manly Sea Eagles
    https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

RISING Gold Coast behemoth Morgan Boyle has departed the NRL club effective immediately to sign with Manly.

The front-rower will begin his journey at Brookvale on Monday.

Boyle had been tipped for big things after a breakout 2017 rookie season in which he played 15 NRL matches, including a barnstorming effort in running 177m to underpin a memorable 38-36 Titans win over Melbourne at Suncorp Stadium.

Standing at 194cm and 111kg, Boyle offers size and a powerful running game through the middle third of the field.

However, his second year in the top grade was crippled by a pre-season training collision with Jarrod Wallace in February 2018 that left him carrying a shoulder injury.

Boyle struggled through seven NRL games but never really found his feet again before going under the knife for season-ending surgery.

The 22-year-old had seemingly fallen down the pecking order and started the new season on the bench for Burleigh in the Intrust Super Cup, playing just 68 minutes across two games.

He had been set to play in the ISC derby between Burleigh and Tweed on Sunday at Pizzey Park but was withdrawn from the fixture to instead travel to Manly.

Boyle told the Bulletin last month that he was starting 2019 behind the eight-ball after missing a chunk of the pre-season but he felt “100 per cent” and was working overtime on improving defensive shortcomings in his game.

Titans officials have confirmed his departure, which now leaves the club with two vacancies on their top 30 roster.

Gold Coast are expected to act quickly to fill at least one of those spots.

Boyle joins 2018 Titans players Kane Elgey and Brendan Elliot on the Sea Eagles list.

His departure could threaten the forwards depth in Garth Brennan’s squad beyond the top 17 that played in their 20-6 loss to Cronulla on Saturday, given that Jack Stockwell and Will Matthews remain sidelined with injuries.

Keegan Hipgrave, Leilani Latu, Jai Whitbread and uncapped youngster Darius Farmer are the only other forwards in the Gold Coast ranks that are currently fit.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 24-03-19 at 03:31 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I would have Boyle in front of both Stockwell and Matthews.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

That must be to make way for someone already lined up or we are amateurs at list management
    This decision sucks as I had big wraps on Morgan
    Yet we keep Mathews on the list
    Unbelievable

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    That must be to make way for someone already lined up or we are amateurs at list management
    This decision sucks as I had big wraps on Morgan
    Yet we keep Mathews on the list
    Unbelievable
    He was pretty poor for Burleigh tbh, not too fussed. I think they’d happily move Matthews on if someone would take him lol

Rhys Martin would be nice, get it done somehow Titans

Oooooohhhh Rhyse Martin on that left edge and goal kicking would solve two selection problems.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    Rhys Martin would be nice, get it done somehow Titans
    Can he defend at an above average level?

Rhyse Martin gooo Rhyse Martin.

He is looking around.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    He was pretty poor for Burleigh tbh, not too fussed. I think they’d happily move Matthews on if someone would take him lol
    I agree he hasn’t come on at all. I do remember though there was a time when he was going to be our Lock long term.