Page 154 of 160 FirstFirst ... 54 104 144 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 2400

Really poor form by them to lay some blame on Ryan James. Exceptional indigenous athlete who does so much for the community.

Fair enough if they had discussed withdrawing sponsorship due to poor performance on the field. Not many could argue with that. I think they are having some internal issues and were looking for an opportunity to back out, but safe to say the public backlash has been strong.

Go to their Facebook page and they are getting smashed in the comments, and not all titans supporters.

What a sh!tty time to play this card. Talk about dogs! To try and throw Ryan under the bus is just low.

This paragraph, I think...is what is truly their issue...

"TFH has stuck by the club through crises including the 2015 drug scandal when star players were caught up in a major cocaine bust, the sacking of coaches Brennan and Neil Henry, the tumultuous Jarryd Hayne era, and the disasters of this season".

I guess they aren't buying into the positive feeling around the club, or the feeling that changes have been made that could induce success. They aren't willing to throw good money after bad!

Well...we can't hold that against them. There are quite a few on here that are of the very same opinion.

I feel an apology to Ryan James for dragging his name through the media mud would be good, TFH!

Then you can GFY's!!!

Exactly, Bods. You couldn't be dark at TFH if they used the player's on field performance as a excuse to reneg on a deal. But for their top dog to use RJ's GF speech as a reason is bloody disgraceful. What's his/her next trick, go pick on the disabled or disadvantaged within our community?
    Last edited by Toads; 16-10-19 at 08:34 AM.

Seems they are just as quickly deleting comments on their Facebook page. There was at least 50 i saw this morning and they will keep coming I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausphin View Post
    Seems they are just as quickly deleting comments on their Facebook page. There was at least 50 i saw this morning and they will keep coming I imagine.
    New posts are appearing all the time. Their Facebook page announces a new Taco Bell store coming and there are heaps of "likes" but 51 of them are "Angry". Not what they would expect against that post.

Inactive User

Would’ve liked to have heard from the Club today on this

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Would’ve liked to have heard from the Club today on this
    Yeah maybe but as the day goes on TFH are taking an absolute hammering about this and silence from the club at the moment is probably a good tactic as they let TFH squirm in their mess.

Radio 4BC/2GB have spoken about this today and had arranged for the TFH boss to be on after 4pm. Well, guess what, they are now having trouble contacting him after arranging this interview earlier in the day. They are still trying. I sent them a text suggesting they ask him about the Cronulla sponsorship and why they have removed many Facebook posts if they were so confident of their decision. Last time I looked another thread on their FB page had attracted over 70 posts.

If you have the league live app on your phone there is comments from mal on there

Titans head of culture Mal Meninga has blasted club sponsor TFH Hire Service for citing Ryan James' grand final speech as cause to terminate its contract with the Gold Coast, describing the move as "ludicrous".

National event hire company TFH made news on Wednesday when News Corp reported that the long-time Titans sponsor had formally sought to pull out on its 2020 commitment to the club.

TFH director Brett Thomas reportedly called out the "embarrassing" and "offensive" performance of James at last week's grand final, when he forgot the conclusion to his Welcome To Country speech, as cause for the termination bid on its six-figure commitment.

As well as James' grand final gaffe, the Titans last-placed finish was cited by Thomas in a letter to the club which also blamed "public comment and discussion surrounding the team’s performance, the performance of the coach and adverse discussions regarding the utilisation and selection of player talent," for TFH's attempted withdrawal.

TFH has sponsored the Gold Coast since 2012 as a jersey sponsor and holds naming rights to its high-performance training centre, but has copped a wave of social media backlash after dragging James into the dispute.

Titans' top five tries of 2019

>
    Titans' top five tries of 2019
    Meninga, who will coach Australia at the World Cup 9s this weekend, was stunned by the move from TFH to mention James' grand final incident.

"I thought it was ludicrous. I couldn't believe what I had read," Meninga said.

"The sponsors have been fantastic sponsors for a long period of time for the Titans but to use that as part of their messaging, as reasons why they want to terminate their contract with us, it's un-Australian.

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga.
    Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga.
    ©Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
    "I don't know the detail, there would be more detail behind the scenes and I imagine it will try to be fixed behind the scenes.

"If there's still a yearning to move on and cut ties with the club I think the club will obviously work with that. And we move on and find another sponsor."

TFH remains a sponsor of both Manly and Cronulla, and last extended its Titans deal in 2017 in what was touted by the club as "one of the most valuable partnerships in the NRL."

ADVERTISEMENTSCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT
    Meninga did find a silver lining to the bizarre saga, with James receiving plenty of support over what he described as "the biggest stuff-up of all time" to NRL.com last week.

"The reaction to it has been really positive," Meninga said.

"It's not even an error. He just forgot. It could happen to anyone.

"When you put it on the scale of the worst things that can happen to anyone in the world, it's right down there. It would hardly resonate with anybody.

"The amount of support that's come out for Ryan has been fantastic and I think it's deserved.

"But to use that as an excuse [to terminate a sponsorship], well you probably deserve what you get from the repercussions of that particular statement."

A Titans spokesman declined to comment further on the matter on Wednesday, while TFH was also contacted for comment.

Titans star Jai Arrow encouraged by Justin Holbrook's success as contract still hangs in the balance
    WRITTEN BY
    ED CHISHOLM
    @ChisholmEd
    Jai Arrow
    LEAGUE
    GOLD COAST TITANS
    LEAGUE
    Jai Arrow says a successful Gold Coast Titans will be hard for him to leave behind, and is confident new coach Justin Holbrook will be able to deliver that.
    Having not yet signed a deal beyond 2020, the 24-year-old representative star's future with the Titans still hangs in the balance, with an extension still on the table.
    The Titans granted Arrow permission to test his market value prior to becoming a free-agent on November 1, with a handful of cashed-up Sydney clubs desperate to secure the hard-working forward's services.
    As a Gold Coast local, the star lock has been open about his preference to remain a Titan, with on-field success for the club his main motive.
    "I would love to stay on the Gold Coast, that's my preference. That's where myself and my partner are from," Arrow said ahead of his appearance in this weekend's World Cup Nines.
    "I'm a Gold Coast local and grew up there my whole life. I definitely want to be a part of a successful team on the Gold Coast because we haven't had that for a while.
    "I'm sure there's a lot of fans on the Gold Coast that want to see a sporting team do well and hopefully, we can be that team.
    "I want to see the Gold Coast do well, so I think that'll definitely come into play, and obviously my partner comes into play as well.
    "I'll sit down with her and have a chat and do what's best for us a team.
    "I'm sure I'll make the right decision."
    Since their inaugural season in 2007, the Titans franchise has never tasted consistent success.
    And with only a year remaining on his current deal, 2020 looms as a crucial season for the battling club is they're to retain their superstar backrower.
    But with new coach Justin Holbrook, fresh off a grand final win with St. Helens in the Super League, coming on board, Arrow believes there's a genuine sense of success brewing on the glitter strip.
    "Hopefully, Justin can bring in some stuff from the Super League. Hopefully, we can learn off him and start playing some good footy in the 2020 season,"
    "I think it'll be a good thing for us, knowing that he's had some success over there.
    "The coach can only bring so much, us as players have to drive those standards that the coach brings and make sure we're all jumping on board and doing the right things and hopefully gelling as a team.
    "Obviously it's hard to win a comp anywhere, so for him to do that over there and only a couple of years over there, it's exciting for us."
    For now however, Arrow's mind remains firmly fixed on the new World Cup Nines tournament this weekend at Bankwest Stadium.
    After a year disrupted by a syndesmosis injury, the Queensland youngster is determined to end his year on a high.
    "It's good to see that there's the best talent from each country out playing," Arrow said.
    "I definitely know Mal said yesterday we're taking this competition seriously. We're here to win and we're here to put on a showcase, and enjoy ourselves while we're doing it.
    "Everyone's looking forward to getting out there and showing what we can do."

https://twitter.com/sportingnewsau/s...377128448?s=21
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Jarrod Wallace predicts inbound coach Justin Holbrook to bring English stars with him to the NRL
    Tom Boswell, @TomBoswellGCB, Gold Coast Bulletin
    October 17, 2019 12:00am
    Subscriber only
    JARROD Wallace says the Titans players are on notice, predicting inbound Super League champion coach Justin Holbrook to mirror the Canberra Raiders and bring a posse of English talent into the fold.

Raiders coach Ricky had English quartet Stuart John Bateman, Ryan Sutton, Josh Hodgson and Elliott Whitehead on the books this year and it was a successful move with Canberra making the 2019 NRL grand final.

Wallace said he expected Holbrook to recruit Super League talent given his relationship with the best in the competition while at the helm of St Helens.

“It’s obviously working for (Canberra) so why not,” The Titans prop said.

“That will be up to Justin there is plenty of talent on the Coast who haven’t been scouted yet. “He has had four or five years over there and obviously seen some talented players in the Super League and won competitions with them.

“There is probably no doubt a couple will come with him along the way, it’s just when and who it will be.

“He will probably want to come over and see what mix of boys we have here, see what part of our team needs to be tweaked and add a few players. I’m sure he will do that.”

Holbrook won the Super League grand final with St Helens last weekend and will now be shifting to the side who won the NRL’s wooden spoon.

Wallace is in the middle of preparing for his boxing debut that will come on November 30 as part of the undercard of the Anthony Mundine and John Wayne Parr bout at Cbus Super Stadium.

The 28-year-old stepped into the ring against Fletcher Holmes in his first official sparring session on Monday, throwing on the helmet and putting in the mouthguard for timed rounds.

Mundine took the time out of his own training to give Wallace some tips earlier this week as the NRL player steps outside of his comfort zone.

“It’s completely different,” Wallace said.

“It’s different from just hitting pads when you are in there fighting someone else, trying to dodge, trying to move your feet around and throw punches. I am loving it.

“It takes a lot of energy out of you quickly so if you’re not smart and (you’re) wasting punches, throwing out extra energy, you do waste it. I feel like I’m getting a lot better as time goes on but it’s a different beast.”

Reading between the lines Jarrod needed to to promote his fight so made up some stuff about the job that allows him to do dumb **** in the off season.

‘I Want To Play For The Titans’ Says St Helens Premiership Star

Justin Holbrook does not arrive on the Gold Coast until the end of the month, but the incoming Titans coach is already notching the victories – with the Super League champion coach acting as a magnet for the world’s best players.

St Helens premiership winger Regan Grace – currently in Australia with the Wales World Nines squad in Sydney – could not have been more direct about his NRL ambitions yesterday, declaring outright that he wants to be a Titan.

“The Gold Coast, so I can go see my old coach Justin Holbrook,” Grace told News Corp papers when asked which NRL team he aspired to play for.

“I have a best mate who lives up on the Gold Coast as well, so it would be good to catch up with him.

“I’d love to be able to get to that standard and test myself out here.”

There is no doubt that love would be reciprocated by Titans fans should the 22-year-old make the leap to the Gold Coast when his contract with St Helens expires at the end of 2021.

Grace scored 22 tries in 33 games for St Helens this year, and clocked a top speed of 36.7km/h in a game against Hull KR, which would have put him second on the list of NRL speedsters in 2019 behind Josh Addo-Carr’s 38.5km/h and ahead of Roosters centre Latrell Mitchell.

Grace in top gear would have also eclipsed Titans winger Phil Sami’s epic chase of Addo-Carr against the Storm in Round 23, when the Gold Coaster hit a top speed of 35.9lm/h to reel “The Fox” in before the tryline.

Holbrook’s incredible success with St Helens and his outstanding rapport with his players will make the Gold Coast a popular choice for English players looking to try their hand in the NRL.

Already, the Titans have been linked in media circles with St Helens prop Luke Thompson, who won the Harry Sunderland Trophy as player of the match in the Super League grand final, as well as his premiership front-row partner Alex Walmsley.

Rep Player

Would love Thompson and Walmsley but not sure about Grace. When was the last time an English back succeeded in the NRL?

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Would love Thompson and Walmsley but not sure about Grace. When was the last time an English back succeeded in the NRL?
    I'm not too sure mate but honestly, a bloke like that couldn't hurt. Very quick by the sounds of it, and he can't be any worse than what we have here currently imo

We really lack speed in our outside backs so he could potentially be a good signing