Page 143 of 160 FirstFirst ... 43 93 133 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 153 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 2400

Mal Meninga open to swapping Ash Taylor with NRL rival.

Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
    September 28, 2019 5:35pm
    Subscriber only

Gold Coast culture chief Mal Meninga is determined to get the best out of Ash Taylor but has revealed he will broker a straight swap with another NRL club if the troubled playmaker wants out of the Titans.

Meninga made it clear his priority is for Taylor to see out his $3 million deal at the Titans, with the Gold Coast continuing to provide professional counselling in the hope of restoring the confidence of their most important playmaker.

However, Meninga says he is open to the prospect of rubber-stamping a release for Taylor if the Titans or the halfback himself decides his best opportunity of a career resurrection rests with an NRL rival.

The Sunday Mail can reveal the Broncos are prepared to issue a lifeline for Taylor to return to Red Hill next season.

But Brisbane would not offer the former Broncos under-20s young gun more than a basic $150,000 contract, beefed-up by a major subsidy from the Titans on his existing $1 million-a-season deal.

That scenario is implausible for the Titans, who see no point jettisoning Taylor if they have to write off more than $700,000 on their salary cap in 2020 as part of an early transfer.

But the possibility of a straight swap is a consideration for Meninga, who says he will entertain other playmaking options under a trade deal if Taylor feels he needs a fresh start to kickstart his teetering NRL career.

“At the end of the day, the ball is in Ash’s court,” Meninga said.

“Personally, I would love to see Ash succeed at the Titans and we’re doing everything possible to get him back to where he needs to be.

“But if it’s not working for Ash or for us then I would consider something like a straight swap if another club was interested and it worked out well for all parties.

“As everyone knows, Ash takes up a large portion of our salary cap so it’s in our best interests to ensure he performs accordingly. There’s no point in us just letting Ash go and having a fair amount of money sitting on our salary cap.”

On the verge of a Queensland Origin debut last year, Taylor’s career sensationally careered off the rails this season.

The 24-year-old was granted compassionate leave by the club in June after his confidence hit such a low he refused to take a pressure, match-levelling penalty goal in the Titans’ 6-4 loss to the Cowboys.

Source: Courier-Mail

Inactive User

He should ask for a compassionate unconditional release from his contract

Junior

I would swap him for Chad Townsend with Tanah Boyd at 5/8. Can goal kick, premiership winner, hard trainer and good family man off the field

No way would I agree to top up his contract from a base of $150k. I would cop 4-500k but not anything more. Any more and he can rot in QCup or lower as far as I'm concerned.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    No way would I agree to top up his contract from a base of $150k. I would cop 4-500k but not anything more. Any more and he can rot in QCup or lower as far as I'm concerned.
    What he did in QCup for Tweed was nothing exceptional

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    What he did in QCup for Tweed was nothing exceptional
    That wasn't my point. My point was he can play anywhere if we had to top up his payments at another club to the extent that the article above implies.
    It's interesting that Meninga has floated the idea - it must have legs. I hope it does, but only if we get a fair deal for him.

First Grader

Saw token suggest swap gillette and glenn for him. Thats not a bad idea imo

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    Saw token suggest swap gillette and glenn for him. Thats not a bad idea imo
    Glenn is off contract so Broncos have no need to swap him.

I see this as a sabotage piece from Badel. Taylors worth on the open market is $150K. Be warned other clubs. Don't let the Titans sell him to you for $500k.

Anyone see Max King's performance for Melbourne tonight?

Melbourne had all the momentum then he drops the ball. He was hooked soon after. Melbourne have been on the back foot since.

We lost nothing. He can brag and carry on all he wants about being a part of a winning culture, the fact is he won't see the light of day at that club if he continues to play like he is.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 28-09-19 at 08:46 PM.

Inactive User

^^^^^ it totally changed the second half that error. Well spotted.

Swapping Atay for Turpin & Fifita I would be a happy man. Then buy a middle of the road half (Sezer, Townsend, Josh Reynolds) I o beef up our playmaking stock

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    Anyone see Max King's performance for Melbourne tonight?

Melbourne had all the momentum then he drops the ball. He was hooked soon after. Melbourne have been on the back foot since.

We lost nothing. He can brag and carry on all he wants about being a part of a winning culture, the fact is he won't see the light of day at that club if he continues to play like he is.
    I think that’s quite a stretch from a single dropped ball.

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    I think that’s quite a stretch from a single dropped ball.
    I don't. He made 0 impact from the time he went on then dropped the ball. Hooked after 11 minutes.

Not that I would be a fan of this, but the fact an Ash Taylor potential swap is rumoured and Meninga has been quoted on it, I wonder if there has been talk of swapping Taylor for Milford who is supposedly out of favour with the Broncos?

Supposedly on similar amount of coin.

With Taylor I had some hope, with Milford I’d have none.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.