Page 141 of 160 FirstFirst ... 41 91 131 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 151 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,115 of 2400

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    If we get Matto then it's goodbye Arrow, just imo.
    (I like the cut of your jib!)

First up, hello. I'd rather sign Matto...and keep Arrow...can this be done though...considering the salo? LOL!

Is Matterson's only reason to get out of his contract based on wanting more cash...or is there more to it? Is he not happy at the tigers for other reasons? I guess we may never know...

On another note...are we chasing Tom Flegler?? I have a mate that is a bronco supporter that told me yesterday we are looking him.

Rep Player

Why would we be chasing yet another middle forward? We're stacked with Arrow (for now), James, Wallace, MoFo, Whitbread, Hipgrave and we still have Boyd and Latu on the books. I agree Flegler looks good but I don't think we should be considering any more middles until Boyd and Latu are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Why would we be chasing yet another middle forward? We're stacked with Arrow (for now), James, Wallace, MoFo, Whitbread, Hipgrave and we still have Boyd and Latu on the books. I agree Flegler looks good but I don't think we should be considering any more middles until Boyd and Latu are gone.
    I agree...and it was a question to any that might have inside knowledge...not a statement of fact. I guess we don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but perhaps some deals have already been done in the import/export department. I can't wait for November 1.

I actually prefer Arrow in the 13 to be honest. Hipgrave would be better used off the bench as a wide running back rower as well. But that's just my opinion. I'll go with whatever Holly reckons!

I'm told that like Arrow...Flegler can play prop or lock well. The club might just be using some much needed foresight in feeling him out. (???)
    Last edited by Menoitios; 26-09-19 at 08:41 AM.

Rep Player

Yeah Arrow is a big minute lock for sure. I would really like us to go after Sezer. I think he fills a huge gap in our roster and would be our goalkicker with Gordon retired. I've always rated Sezer -- dunno why he cops so much flack. Even Joey rates him.

Yeah Arrow is a big minute lock for sure. I would really like us to go after Sezer. I think he fills a huge gap in our roster and would be our goalkicker with Gordon retired. I've always rated Sezer -- dunno why he cops so much flack. Even Joey rates him.
    I don't mind Sezer either. He's a gutsy player with that all important will to win.

I'm actually hoping the raiders take it all the way this year. Out of the 4 remaining...they sh1t me the least!

QLD Cup

If we could get rid of Roberts then I'd take Sezer but it looks like we are stuck with Roberts at the moment. I also echo your sentiments on Flegler, he's a vast improvement on Boyd and Latu (and probably Whitbread) but once again we are stuck with them.

I'd have Hipgrave running wide off the bench as well Meno. He brings a lot of energy and aggression.

For the record, I'm still confident that Arrow will stay. Matterson also didn't like the way that Maguire trained those blokes so hard. He's a good player but he's not worth more than 400k and he's already on 3-350ish, it wouldn't be worth moving for that. Funny how the Tigers have also said that they would consider a swap for AJ. He is literally only one of of two backs that we have that I'd consider being guaranteed a spot next season in our backline. Out of all of the players off contract or murmured to be wanting out of their club the only one we should really be making a play at is Tysone Frizell.

Rep Player

Yeah man I have a soft spot for the Raiders. Probably my second team -- I just like the way they play.

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    If we could get rid of Roberts then I'd take Sezer but it looks like we are stuck with Roberts at the moment. I also echo your sentiments on Flegler, he's a vast improvement on Boyd and Latu (and probably Whitbread) but once again we are stuck with them.

I'd have Hipgrave running wide off the bench as well Meno. He brings a lot of energy and aggression.

For the record, I'm still confident that Arrow will stay. Matterson also didn't like the way that Maguire trained those blokes so hard. He's a good player but he's not worth more than 400k and he's already on 3-350ish, it wouldn't be worth moving for that. Funny how the Tigers have also said that they would consider a swap for AJ. He is literally only one of of two backs that we have that I'd consider being guaranteed a spot next season in our backline. Out of all of the players off contract or murmured to be wanting out of their club the only one we should really be making a play at is Tysone Frizell.
    Not sure if anyone saw or read this article. I think they used to call it commi chatter but you mention Matto moving for a $50k difference. According to this article it's worth millions.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...02c82a8650cbf0

Don't shoot the messenger.

Can read unless u have subscribed

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny86 View Post
    Can read unless u have subscribed
    Sorry, didn't see that.

Remember don't shoot the messenger

Broncos lauded as NRL’s most efficient salary cap club
    Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
    September 6, 2019 8:45pm
    Subscriber only
    BRISBANE have been hailed as the NRL’s most efficient club under the salary cap following revelations Origin star David Fifita heads into the finals on a cut-price salary of $250,000 this season.

Ahead of Brisbane’s final-round clash with the Bulldogs tonight in Sydney, The Courier-Mail has undertaken an unprecedented study of the salary cap landscape at the Broncos and the pay packets of their full-time squad in 2019.

For decades, there has been speculation around the salary cap activities of the code’s marquee clubs, headlined by the Broncos, the Roosters and the Storm.

Concerns about the salary cap have buffeted the Broncos since the early 1990s following the birth of the Thoroughbreds, a coterie of cashed-up businessmen who claimed to be offering life mentoring to Brisbane players.

Such suspicions were further fuelled in 2014 when Brisbane chief executive Paul White self-reported salary cap irregularities after $298,000 went missing from the Leagues Club books, allegedly to top-up the contracts of Broncos players.

The Broncos were ultimately cleared of any wrongdoing by the NRL.

And while they have never been found to have breached the salary cap, Brisbane’s ability to consistently retain elite talent, often at reduced rates, has triggered speculation about the prospect of creative accounting practices.

But a probe by The Courier-Mail shows the Broncos are cap compliant this season, with the club having outlaid an estimated $9.43 million this season. The 2019 NRL salary cap is $9.6 million.

That leaves a buffer of around $170,000, a financial insulation adopted by many NRL teams to fund contract bonuses or allow for an eleventh-hour player purchase.

There are three key factors that give the Broncos a distinct advantage over Sydney-based NRL teams in the salary cap space. They are:

● The cost of living in Brisbane compared to the expensive rat race in Sydney;

● Brisbane’s corporate sector with the Broncos’ monopoly in southeast Queensland enabling their best players to leverage third-party sponsorships; and

● An unwritten rule where a 20 per cent reduction is applied to player salaries during contract negotiations, giving the Broncos a huge leg-up.

The latter factor is a compelling trump card for the Broncos.

It works like this – an off-contract player at Brisbane is on a contract of $400,000. To consider moving him to a Sydney club, agents will apply a 20 per cent loading to factor in the cost of living in Australia’s biggest city.

It means Sydney clubs have to, in theory, pay more under the salary cap than Brisbane to be a realistic chance of poaching a Broncos player.

A classic case is Ben Hunt, who left the Broncos at the end of 2017 after receiving a massive offer from the Dragons worth $1 million a season.

“For example, if a Sydney club offers a Broncos player $500,000, many agents will view the Broncos offer of $400,000 as the same amount,” said a leading player manager.

“It means the Broncos can effectively offer 20 per cent less and still be on an even playing field to the Sydney clubs. It’s a huge advantage.”

The Broncos’ gravitas in Queensland makes it easier for players and agents to broker third-party agreements (TPAs) which are salary-cap exempt.

Last year, the NRL for the first time released TPA values.

Melbourne topped the league with more than $1 million in ancillary sponsorships. The Broncos were second with almost $800,000, more than triple the league’s TPA average of $264,000.

“The Brisbane commercial market is a powerful force,” said one agent.

“Unlike Sydney, where there are so many teams and players, there are probably only 10 players at the Broncos who are really marketable in the corporate space in Brisbane.

“So the big names at the Broncos can build a virtual microbusiness around their careers.

“The third-party opportunities for marquee players in Brisbane, such as a Darren Lockyer in the past, means there is rivers of gold outside the salary cap for the big names.

“The NRL salary cap is like the Tax Act. You have a number of rules for deductions and if you have a savvy accountant or tax agent, they are able to exploit it to optimise the way the rules are crafted.

“There’s a difference between rorting and optimising the salary cap ... and the Broncos do it better than anyone.”

Broncos football operations chief Peter Nolan and Brisbane company secretary Louise Lanigan can navigate the complex salary cap like a Formula One driver at Monaco.

By taking advantage of one such rule, the Broncos have legally received a $153,000 benefit this season.

Under salary cap rules, clubs who pay players $3000 in match fees in their rookie season have those payments declared cap exempt for 12 months only.

This year, Brisbane have blooded eight rookies, led by Tom Flegler (21 games) and Pat Carrigan (17).

Collectively, the slew of debutants have played 51 matches at $3000 a game – a $153,000 bonanza for the Broncos that is not counted by the NRL salary cap auditor.

That has enabled the Broncos space to retain the likes of Matt Lodge, Tevita Pangai Jr and Jake Turpin, who rejected more lucrative offers in the past two months to sign new deals at Red Hill.

“All of us could have got bigger money elsewhere but money isn’t everything,” Lodge said.

Fifita is evidence of Brisbane’s salary cap mentality. The Queensland Origin star is the value commodity of the season at $250,000.

In the coming months, the 19-year-old will look to sign an upgraded deal with Brisbane worth $700,000 annually, $300,000 shy of what he could elsewhere.

“You generally take less to be at the Broncos,” fellow teenage forward Payne Haas said. “That’s the way it is if you want to be successful as a group.”

While Brisbane possess a $1 million player on their books in Anthony Milford, most of their squad are on basic deals.

Of the 30-man full-time group, 17 earn less than $200,000 a season, including 2019 discovery Turpin, who plays halfback tonight on a meagre $90,000 deal.

Broncos coach Anthony Seibold admits there will be headaches in the coming years, when the likes of Kotoni Staggs, Fifita and Flegler warrant major upgrades.

“There will be some challenges with regards to other teams being interested in those young players,” he said.

“There is no doubt that there is interest in our players. One thing I believe the club does well is that there is a really strong retention committee that organises the salary cap very effectively.

“I am confident we will keep the players we want to keep but I also know there will be other clubs that will come in and want to take away some of the young talent that we have.”

Anthony Milford ––– $1,000,000

Jack Bird ––– $800,000

Darius Boyd ––– $700,000

Matt Gillett ––– $650,000

Andrew McCullough ––– $600,000

Matt Lodge ––– $500,000

Corey Oates ––– $500,000

Tevita Pangai Jr ––– $470,000

Alex Glenn ––– $400,000

Joe Ofahengaue ––– $360,000

Payne Haas ––– $310,000

Jamayne Isaako ––– $280,000

David Fifita ––– $250,000

Kotoni Staggs ––– $180,000

Tom Flegler ––– $160,000

George Fai ––– $150,000

Patrick Mago ––– $140,000

Gehamat Shibasaki ––– $140,000

Tom Dearden ––– $130,000

Sean O’Sullivan ––– $120,000

Pat Carrigan ––– $115,000

Shaun Fensom ––– $100,000

Izaia Perese ––– $100,000

Sam Tagataese ––– $100,000

Jake Turpin ––– $90,000

Cory Paix ––– $85,000

Troy Dargan ––– $80,000

Herbie Farnworth ––– $80,000

Richie Kennar ––– $72,500

James Segeyaro ––– $72,500

TOTAL ––– $8,735,000

RELEASED PLAYERS THIS SEASON: James Roberts, Jaydn Su’A, Jordan Kahu, Josh McGuire and Kodi Nikorima.

COMBINED PRO-RATA SALARY IN CAP: $698,000*

(*Note: NRL players are paid monthly starting November 1 each year)

DEVELOPMENT PLAYERS: Ethan Bullemor, Xavier Coates (left), Rhys Kennedy, Keenan Palasia, Ilikena Vudogo. (Receive $60,000 each, salary cap exempt payments for all clubs)

GRAND TOTAL $9,433,000

2019 SALARY CAP: $9,600,000**

^^^^ Good read..... With Dennis Watt at the club you will slowly see the salary cap turn out like that.....
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

QLD Cup

There's no doubt that the cost of living, housing etc is beneficial for players outside of Sydney. I think by memory this was heavily discussed when Don fielded offers from Sydney that were paying 30-40k more than us when he renewed. In Mattersons case, his life is in Sydney at the moment. He's probably got a house there or is renting so there would be costs involved when leaving that. He will also have friends/familly there that he will have to leave behind as well. Is all that worth 50k to leave? I dunno. Every player will be different. I wonder if they could offload Packer and/or Matalino whether they would be interested in Boyd.

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    There's no doubt that the cost of living, housing etc is beneficial for players outside of Sydney. I think by memory this was heavily discussed when Don fielded offers from Sydney that were paying 30-40k more than us when he renewed. In Mattersons case, his life is in Sydney at the moment. He's probably got a house there or is renting so there would be costs involved when leaving that. He will also have friends/familly there that he will have to leave behind as well. Is all that worth 50k to leave? I dunno. Every player will be different. I wonder if they could offload Packer and/or Matalino whether they would be interested in Boyd.
    I'd be happy to subsidise S Boyds wage to retire him. But it's not my money, so easily said. You might find someone that would take him at half rate. From memory he wants to retire back down on property in Canberra so he can start moving south from next month if he wants.

Probably chasing another middle forward because the blokes we have haven't done the job. Wallace was patchy, James has under performed for a while and lately I see him as a plodder like Boyd (much better but that isn't hard). Hipgrave is a goose, Whitbread is promising but needs time, and I agree that Latu and Boyd should be packed off. I'm not sure that Matterson is among the answers but the current roster needs a huge clean out, and I mean huge. In all of that we don't know what Arrow is doing, other than playing games.
    I agree with your later post about Sezer. I heard something about Frizelle on the radio yesterday but only caught the end of it (it was that maniac woman Sue that rings Talkin Sport and she was muttering about Frizelle leaving) but he'd be a massive get. He's too smart to kill his career off by coming here but we can only dream.

Alex Corvo, strength and conditioning coach for the Qld origin team is looking for a new job. Spent the last 2 years at the warriors and before that the Storm. Sounds like a good signing to me.