Page 4 of 160 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 ... LastLast

the good thing is we have a bunch of guys, some with some defensive things to work on, but essentially a nunch of guys who can fill th spot and there will be strong competition for it.

I can't remember us EVER being that strong in the centres. We have killed many centres careers at the titans. let enjoy the jostling and trust that the end result will be worth it.

On the Matty Johns interview - i have said for a year or 2 that Ash needs to go to his farm for 2 weeks and just leech his brain. What 90% of the RL public just learnt from a 10 minute interview is frightening, and any half who HASNt been to the farm is thnat far behind already. imagine hownuch he would instill in Ash about leadership, game management, stress and anxiety and how to play smart.... incredible. If ash goes now... he can be the guy who is the keeper of that knowledge and pass it on to our young half's and coaches as they come through.

one final thought on this, and speaks to why we had more success in our earlier years - but Johns spoke of the spread after you've dented the line - and we did that so well, if you can dent the line on the 3rd defender in and get a decent play the ball, two long quick passes like Prince and Presto used to do just murders the opposition on the far side. Defense is still retreating and they may have made it onside, but they aren't able to shuffle laterally properly and man up on their player / in their channel and likely wont have any line speed, while you are hunting them at pace. We did it well with good skill execution and fitness. then we evolved and did exactly what Johns said not to do - we would dent a side, then 'settle' again with Myles / Harro taking one to the post negating any advantage and we just played mud ball for about 4 years after that. I could never work out why we changed like that. Was it the Bird influence of 'we need to be tough and prove we are tough and bash people and run over them forever'? i don't know but it was a huge shame.

On Leo, we all speak of his pace, bit his effort and will is comparable to AJ. He pushes for EVERYTHING and gets to balls, or tackles guys in goal he has no right to.

I hope he gets a crack in new year - he has been given one of the trial spots i think for top squad in pre season. im 99% sure that's what i was told.
    Last edited by DavidBouveng; 06-09-18 at 12:25 PM.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    the good thing is we have a bunch of guys, some with some defensive things to work on, but essentially a nunch of guys who can fill th spot and there will be strong competition for it.

I can remember us EVER being that strong in the centres. We have killed many centres careers at the titans. let enjoy the jostling and trust that the end result will be worth it.

On the Matty Johns interview - i have said for a year or 2 that Ash needs to go to his farm for 2 weeks and just leech his brain. What 90% of the RL public just learnt from a 10 minute interview is frightening, and any half who HASNt been to the farm is thnat far behind already. imagine hownuch he would instill in Ash about leadership, game management, stress and anxiety and how to play smart.... incredible. If ash goes now... he can be the guy who is the keeper of that knowledge and pass it on to our young half's and coaches as they come through.

On Leo, we all speak of his pace, bit his effort and will is comparable to AJ. He pushes for EVERYTHING and gets to balls, or tackles guys in goal he has no right to.

I hope he gets a crack in new year - he has been given one of the trial spots i think for top squad in pre season. im 99% sure thats what i was told.
    No question, Ash must head down and work with Matty. Garth needs to make this happen.
    Geez I hope you're right about Leo being given a train and trial option, I havent seen as much of him as some of guys but what i have seen has impressed me. Just having someone with his game changing pace on the edge would be so good. How would you compare his speed to Kevin Gordon at his peak??

Quote Originally Posted by Re-engage19 View Post
    No question, Ash must head down and work with Matty. Garth needs to make this happen.
    Geez I hope you're right about Leo being given a train and trial option, I havent seen as much of him as some of guys but what i have seen has impressed me. Just having someone with his game changing pace on the edge would be so good. How would you compare his speed to Kevin Gordon at his peak??
    Leo has him covered. he is proper pace - French and Ado Carr style

Just watched the Matty Johns segment on NRL 360. Sounds like we need to sort out who are halfs are for next year and send them both down there so they are both on the same page. Great segment.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Just watched the Matty Johns segment on NRL 360. Sounds like we need to sort out who are halfs are for next year and send them both down there so they are both on the same page. Great segment.
    Yep...thats the million dollar question isnt it, who will be the 6??? You're right tho, they both need to go, whoever it is.

I would just send Ash and AJ, let them bond and work it out and learn as its their team from here on out. Even if AJ doesn't play 5/8 - if he and Ash understand the principles and systems then that's enough and they run the shop and guide the team

Ryan Matterson from the Roosters is being shopped around apparently. We'd be crazy not to try and go for him. Can fill that other second row spot and he can also play 6 if we're that desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobes View Post
    Ryan Matterson from the Roosters is being shopped around apparently. We'd be crazy not to try and go for him. Can fill that other second row spot and he can also play 6 if we're that desperate.
    I think he was confirmed as being signed to tigers yesterday, who beat bunnies to him.

Big loss for the Roosters, and here I was thinking they had no salary cap. Wish we got him.

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    Big loss for the Roosters, and here I was thinking they had no salary cap. Wish we got him.
    I think they will be ok between Boyd Cordner, Angus Crighton and Victor Radley.

Crighton > Matterson
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausphin View Post
    I think they will be ok between Boyd Cordner, Angus Crighton and Victor Radley.
    SBW Tapau etc etc lol
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

I'd still take Matterson over Derpgrave or Matthews.

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    I'd still take Matterson over Derpgrave or Matthews.
    I think the cost difference may come into play on that one. But if they were willing to take the same dollars then yes. Matterson would probably command 5x the wage of Matthews and 3.5x the wage of Hipgrave so not really apples for apples.

Whilst I know we still appeared undecided on a 6, I still think our biggest need is a quality edge backrower.

Personally I am hoping for Ryley Jacks in the halves. Whilst no superstar he is very good defensively and possesses a good kicking game (left footed too) which will take some pressure off Ash.

But watching this weekends games the thing that jumped out to me is the edge forwards and the impact they can have. Felise Kaufusi, Angus Crighton, Boyd Cordner, Viliame Kikau, Isaiah Yeo, Wade Graham, David Fafita, Tyson Frizzell and Tariq Sims. What I wouldn't give for a player like that out wide.

I think Hipgrave (remembering this was his first season) tried hard and will improve, but I think he might be better in the middle. Unfortunately we have plenty of stock there. Cartwright from a potential basis could be ideal, but based on what we saw this year he would need a massive attitude adjustment and his defence would need to improve out of sight.

Also was impressed by Zac Lomax in the centres today for Dragons. Impressive young kid. Hopefully Peachey sticks to his word as he would definitely be one centre. Am still keen for Sami to get an opportunity there and see how he goes.
    Last edited by Ausphin; 09-09-18 at 08:03 PM.