Page 158 of 160 FirstFirst ... 58 108 148 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 LastLast
Results 2,356 to 2,370 of 2400
    QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    You can’t coach speed and we are by far the slowest team in both the forwards and backs in the NRL and until we start getting some speed across the board instead of a team of plodders we will always struggle to get out of the bottom 8.
    Couldn't agree more. With speed and ability comes excitement. With excitement there is more bums on seats at games. Our starting back three this year was predominately Gordon, Copley and Don (until Sami got another crack once Copley broke down). Neither of those three listed possess any speed whatsoever and the chances of them busting the line open was non existent. For whatever reason we have invested far too much in our middle forwards and neglected the backs and we've payed for it in more ways than one.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    The Bulletin looks at five Intrust Super Cup stars who could make an impact at the Titans
    Brent O’Neill, Gold Coast Bulletin
    October 22, 2019 12:00am
    Subscriber only
    WITH a handful of spots left on the Titans’ 30-man roster for 2020, the Bulletin looks at five Intrust Super Cup stars who could make an impact at the battling NRL club.

JAMAL FOGARTY (HALFBACK - BURLEIGH)

This one is a no-brainer. The 25-year-old is a two-time ISC premiership player, has previous experience in an NRL system with the Titans and is the newly-crowned Petero Civoniceva Medal winner.

TOM GILBERT (PROP - TOWNSVILLE)

Contracted to North Queensland, the 19-year-old enjoyed a breakout year with the Blackhawks, averaging 139 running metres across 24 games en route to ISC Rookie of the Year honours.

HARRY GRANT (HOOKER - SUNSHINE COAST)

Earmarked to take over from Cameron Smith as Melbourne’s no.9, Grant was a driving force behind the Falcons’ record-breaking season to finish third in the Player of the Year standings.

TALOR WALTERS (UTILITY BACK - TWEED)

Awarded the Seagulls’ Players’ Player gong this season, Walters underlined his utility value with 14 tries on the wing and at fullback as his side reached the finals for the first time since 2014.

KEENAN PALASIA (SECOND ROW – WYNNUM MANLY)

The 22-year-old was a standout for the Seagulls throughout 2019, averaging 107m and 20 tackles a game to earn two NRL appearances for the Broncos.
    Gilbert upgraded to Cowboys top 30. Will see NRL in 2020.
    Grant a required player at the Storm post C.Smith retiring.
    Palasia working his way into his career at the Broncos.

Brent O'Neill could have listed a few others instead.

As of late there have been rumblings that certain 2019 Super League winning stars of the St.Helens Saints could be following departing coach Justin Holbrook to the Gold Coast Titans.

The two main players being rumoured are outside back Regan Grace and Harry Sunderland trophy winning forward Luke Thompson.

Grace has been heavily rumoured to the point where the Gold Coast Titans official Facebook page has reported on the rumour.

When asked by News Corp which NRL club he’d like to play for Grace had this to say:

“The Gold Coast, so I can go see my old coach Justin Holbrook,

I have a best mate who lives up on the Gold Coast as well, so it would be good to catch up with him.”

Speculation about Luke Thompson began when Justin Holbrook himself stated that Thompson was the best prop in the world.

Thompson was already rumoured to be heading to the NRL, however the recent comments by Holbrook suggest that the team he will likely head to is the Gold Coast Titans.

Interesting turn of events regarding the Jai Arrow situation. The Winemaker on Triple M reckons that he'll end up staying here with us, because none of the Sydney clubs are willing to pay the $900,000 he's asking for

Junior

NRL player market: refuse to be fleeced as stars hit free agency

Mal Meninga has claimed the Titans won’t be bullied into paying overs to keep rising duo Jai Arrow and AJ Brimson on the Gold Coast.

Arrow and Brimson have informed the Titans they will test their value on the open market from Friday when they officially become free agents for the 2021 NRL season.

The emerging stars are expected to attract plenty of interest from other clubs.

Arrow, 24, is already a Queensland State of Origin representative, having played four matches over the past two years, while Brimson has been earmarked for representative honours.

Both featured for the Kangaroos in the recent inaugural World Cup Nines in Sydney, having been selected by Australia coach Meninga.

Meninga, the Gold Coast’s head of performance and culture, has been entrusted with helping shape the Titans’ roster alongside incoming coach Justin Holbrook.

Arrow and Brimson, both off-contract at the end of the 2020 season, are viewed as integral parts of the Gold Coast’s future after the club collected its second wooden spoon this year.

However the Titans are desperate to ensure they are not milked dry trying to keep them on the Gold Coast.

A series of poor recruitment and retention decisions over the past few years has left the Titans in a salary cap pickle with a roster featuring several overpaid and underperforming players.

The likes of Shannon Boyd, Nathan Peats and Jarrod Wallace are on contracts worth more than $600,000-a-season, while Penrith recruits Bryce Cartwright, Leilani Latu and Tyrone Peachey have flopped on deals worth more than $450,000 annually.

The Titans have earnt a reputation for signing lemons on overinflated deals, something Meninga is desperate to turn around.

“That’s the balance — we’ve got to be careful with what we do,” he said.

“We need to keep the right people for the right reasons and make sure they’re the right deals for us.

“We don’t want to get ourselves in a pickle like we have in recent times.”

Arrow is expected to field offers in excess of $800,000 a season while a sticking point in negotiations with Brimson could revolve around his preferred playing position.

The 21-year-old came into the NRL at five-eighth but seems best suited to fullback, a position he was expected to step into following the retirement of Michael “Flash’’ Gordon this year.

Meninga has hinted Brimson’s best value could come as an interchange utility, however players are reluctant to settle for bench spots.

Meninga said the Titans would do all they could to retain Arrow and Brimson.
    “Jai and AJ (are a priority), absolutely,” he said. “We’re constantly talking to their managers, but we’re giving them some downtime as well.

“They have already indicated they want to go to market.

“We’re in no rush, they’re still with us next year, but we’ll do everything we possibly can to keep them.

“I’ve promised them that.’’
    Last edited by SCoast Titan; 27-10-19 at 08:58 PM.

Oh boy. Frustrating that it seems to be our way to give overs to so many players who aren't worth that on the market. Our history is littered with them. But I hope these two, amazing talents stay with us. To see them poached would be heartbreaking.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Inactive User

Things are dire. Thanks again Garth.

Looks like there may be an opportunity to offload a hooker to Manly.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...de26718f495f93

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Looks like there may be an opportunity to offload a hooker to Manly.
    you’re right, there are quite a few around Surfers and after the Bundy situation they would suit the Manly clique perfectly.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

There is also a bit of talk about Cody WALKER coming back after next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Things are dire. Thanks again Garth.
    Gotta hand it to him. Filled the joint full of Panthers players that didn't want to be here, then gets them to turn on him to the point that see's himself sacked. Unique gift..

Theres been a bit of talk today about Bunnies chasing Jai to replace Burgess. Jeez I hope they'd prefer an actual edge forward, cause I could seem them being very tempting to him. They're an actual premiership threat, which he said would be the main reason he would consider leaving us.

Quote Originally Posted by hangingon View Post
    Theres been a bit of talk today about Bunnies chasing Jai to replace Burgess. Jeez I hope they'd prefer an actual edge forward, cause I could seem them being very tempting to him. They're an actual premiership threat, which he said would be the main reason he would consider leaving us.
    But are they going to be able to afford him? Burgess still had a few years left on his contract so how much of that is going to taken up by the salary cap or is it at all?

When I heard that Burgess was retiring my first though was that they would go after Jai. Souths Ticks the boxes finals contender and in Sydney for his girlfriend. The NRL are expected to make a decision if to grant salary cap exemption to South under the medical retirement rules around Christmas. So this will Jai Arrow a few months preseason to see how it goes and attitudes of the others to make a decision. However I question why Jai would be targeted as Cam Murray is that style of player as Jai is. Souths need a big body impact forward.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

I read that they were chasing Tyson Frizell.