Default Annesley accepts new role with NRL

TFH Gold Coast Titans Chief Executive Officer, Graham Annesley, today announced he will be leaving the Titans in October to return to the NRL administration as ‘Head of Football/Elite Programs’, overseeing all operational aspects of the Telstra Premiership and other elite programs.

During his time as CEO, Annesley has steered the Titans through both challenging and rewarding times as the club rebuilt under NRL ownership, and more recently during the transition back to private ownership under the Kelly and Frizelle families.

“The last 5 years have been some of the most challenging, yet satisfying times of my professional career,” Annesley said today.

“While the challenges have been well documented, I take a great deal of pride in the current health of the club both on and off the field.

“The club is now well positioned to compete with the very best in the NRL in the years ahead. We have amazingly committed owners, model independent corporate governance, talented and dedicated staff and executive team, first-class high-performance facilities, responsible and sustainable financial management, a roster full of experience and youthful potential, and a Head Coach who has all the required attributes to guide the team to success in 2019 and beyond.

“The opportunity to once again contribute across the entire game as part of the NRL administration arose unexpectedly a few weeks ago. My decision to accept the new role has not been easy as I genuinely believe this club is on the cusp of great success. However, after agonising over the decision with my wife, club owners Darryl Kelly and Rebecca Frizelle, and Executive Chairman Dennis Watt, I ultimately decided the time was right to pass the Titans baton on as the club continues to pursue its enormous potential.

“I want to thank everyone associated with the Titans for the amazing opportunity and privilege afforded to me during my time as CEO. From past and present owners, to the Board, my executive team and staff, players and football personnel, sponsors, corporate partners, members and supporters, I couldn’t have asked for more support and assistance. I am going to miss everyone enormously,” Annesley concluded.

Executive Chairman Dennis Watt, on behalf of club owners Brett and Rebecca Frizelle and Darryl and Joanne Kelly; and the Titans Board said:

“Graham has been a strong and courageous leader in his five years as CEO, helping ensure the survival of the club in the very first instance and then driving the process to lay strong foundations for future sustainable success.

“He leaves us in great shape and with wife Erica will be really missed - both professionally and personally - not just in the club but throughout the Gold Coast community.

Watt said the club was “extraordinarily grateful for Graham’s relentless drive to ensure that the club and the NRL maintained a strong and growing presence in the rugby league heartland of Gold Coast and in northern New South Wales.

“Graham leaves here as one of the most respected figures in the game. His legacy will be the on-going success of this club. We are very confident Graham will continue to serve and advance the game at the highest levels in his new role."

Graham will remain in his role as CEO over the coming weeks to ensure a smooth transition before commencing with the NRL in November.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Surely this will bring Bods out of hiding.

I know he's not popular with a few on here but he's had a bloody tough gig over the past 5 years and I do respect the significant influence he had in keeping our heads above water through constant adversity.

Don't think I can really blame him for taking the role he has at the NRL and I can only hope that we have enough of a foundation set at the top level of our club to ensure that the rebuild is continuous and most of all sustainable. Some will probably see him leaving as a lack of commitment but I find that hard to agree with given what he's stuck around through.

Watch the various media outlets (including probably our own local) take advantage of this and sensationalize Annesley "quitting" and "walking out on the club". Don't bite my friends

I think he’s done a brilliant job under extremely challenging conditions.
    Last edited by rj62; 27-08-18 at 12:46 PM.

I don't think you could accuse him running. That bloke could have left many times over in times that don't even compare to now. Wish him all the best and my thanks.

Didn’t he take over just as the cocaine scandal hit? He’s had a rough time, wonder who the new ceo is going to be.

I agree with the comments as he has had to put up with a lot of negative issues in his time.
    Will be interesting to see who take over.
    Last edited by ozynorts; 27-08-18 at 01:54 PM.

I am so thankful we had him here for the tie we did.

We were a **** show and his steady hand, at the risk of being too slow, was what we needed to ensure stability moving forwards.

i am not 100%, and will do some more research, but i believe he was the one who made the long overdue move on Carty, brokered the amazing facilities we have, steered us through our almost exit into administration with NRL and then our of the other side with private ownership.

Many would have cut and run a lot sooner, and anyone who talks about this as 'quitting' in the sense of giving up is being willfully ignorant.

good on him, hope he gets our name in the boardroom a bit more often down there.

As an aside - im proud this wasn't a circus dragged out like the coaching stuff engulfing the NRL right now. Quick and respectful, with no noise prior.

- - - Updated - - -

and i don't say this facetiously or tongue in cheek, but our own titanic when not engaging in wordplay and banter has quite a lot of the required abilities and experience to do the job if i'm not mistaken? and a good dose of sense to go with it.

He has international business acumen and contacts combined with long history of rugby league player, coach and observer, with a dash of burning desire to get this GCRL thing off the ground once and for all.

its not as silly as it sounds, although he is probably both too modest to say so in this forum, and too intelligent to bother with the mess the NRL is.

you'd have my vote ol' mate.

First Grader

Didn't the NRL take Brian canavan off us also?

Rep Player

Huge respect to Graham. Has lead us through a pretty awful time as a club and has not only stayed with us when many would of left but steered us into the beginnings of a stable club.

Dear god though is the selection of his replacement important. We are just about adequate at the moment but geeze its going to take someone with a plan to not only make us a contender but to mould us into a club that players actually WANT to be apart of. His replacement very well might be the most important signing ever.