Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

Quote Originally Posted by Dooldog76 View Post
    I honestly believe that Taylor really needs an experienced half with him. Elgey, while not super experienced just takes the pressure off him. While AJ is amazing, I can’t help not think if we had brought Elgey back a bit earlier, results would’ve been different. I know a lot of people in here have had the same argument. When Taylor is playing with confidence, he is one of the best halves going around. He may have missed a lot of tackles, but some of that was his inside Man as well. I’m starting to think that Roberts at half might not be too bad, but then I think of how they held Henry to ransom and can’t really decide.
    I agree with this, I am one of the rare few which actually thinks Tyrone Roberts will be good for the club. He has enough experience to know when to slow or speed up the game, can pop up on both sides of the field, and we know he lifts Atays game.

I think having never give up players like Peachey could be the difference for a lot of our close games. I can't wait to see him and AJ working off each other with their speed and support play, especially if Rein continues his form.

It will be interesting to see what the team looks like at the start of 2019 and at the end of 2019. So many spots up for grabs with multiple players able to cover numerous positions, we def have points in us next season, I just want to see a hard edge to our defense with some good shots on.

I am aware of our abysmal defence in the first half but Manly’s 3rd try came after DCE put a kick through that deflected off a Manly players legs (Jackson)...so had to be offside, AJ knocked on cleaning up so scrum and Manly score. 4th try came from the boys simultaneously taking a Manly player over the sideline as ref called held. Penalty and try to Manly. Still terrible defence but thought I would highlight that.

- - - Updated - - -

Mind you I am watching the reply now and I am cringing at our efforts in the 1st half.

When watching live and we were down 22-6 I went and swapped my PJ’s out for some Titans gear. My actions changed the result of the game. You can thank me later for helping avoid the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    I am aware of our abysmal defence in the first half but Manly’s 3rd try came after DCE put a kick through that deflected off a Manly players legs (Jackson)...so had to be offside, AJ knocked on cleaning up so scrum and Manly score. 4th try came from the boys simultaneously taking a Manly player over the sideline as ref called held. Penalty and try to Manly. Still terrible defence but thought I would highlight that.

- - - Updated - - -

Mind you I am watching the reply now and I am cringing at our efforts in the 1st half.

When watching live and we were down 22-6 I went and swapped my PJ’s out for some Titans gear. My actions changed the result of the game. You can thank me later for helping avoid the spoon.
    Thank you Shamus. My lucky underwear were in the wash so I'm glad someone broke the jinx.

in all seriousness - it must be one of the most effective sprays ive ever seen. maybe its because it is coming from a guy who doesn't use it often, but i was watching and sat right up from lying down and was getting pumped. Telling the wife this is the Garth i want to see - who is demanding more and expects more, and i left her with the question, ' i wonder if it will be effective?'

Man alive

You can't let the cart lead the horse ... player-power is just millennial claptrap ... treating these generally well-paid employees like princesses will only get you one thing ... respect, trust and honesty will get you everything ... even if you have to bruise a few egos along the way.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Gold Coast Titans captain says playing group deserved spray from coach
    Emma Greenwood, emma.greenwood@news.com.au, Gold Coast Bulletin
    August 20, 2018 3:00am
    Subscriber only
    TITANS captain Ryan James said his team needed the paint-peeling berating they received from coach Garth Brennan after an insipid first-half effort against Manly on Friday night.

Former policeman Brennan is not afraid to call a spade a spade but has been generally encouraging of his young Titans side as they struggle to find the consistency that can propel them into the top eight next season.

But the affable Brennan reached his breaking point on Friday night after the Titans’ woeful showing in the opening 40 minutes, with James saying the dressing down was just what the team needed.

“It was colourful to say the least,” James said of Brennan’s halftime address that helped turn around his team’s attitude and spur their 42-34 win against Manly.

“We needed it.”

After their capitulation to the Panthers a week earlier, the Titans were determined to start strongly and while they scored first against Manly, the following half-hour was woeful.

“Off the back of what we did last week it was disappointing to start the game like that and the second half showed what we can do as a club and a team,” James said.

“But we can’t keep dishing up something like that in the first half.”

Brennan might be a patient nurturer of talent but he has standards and was ropeable after his side’s opening half.

“The first half wasn’t acceptable defensively, there’s no doubt about that,” Brennan said.

“And it was disappointing.”

Repeated sprays are becoming a relic of the coaching past but a well-timed bollocking — especially from a coach that is usually restrained and encouraging — can be particularly effective and Brennan’s disappointment in his side was palpable.

“It needed a response and I believe in the guys and they weren’t dishing up what I knew they were capable of doing,” he said.

Gold Coast Titans coach and former policeman Garth Brennan delivered a paint-peeling spray to his players at halftime of their clash against Manly. Photo: AAP
    “Our attack was never a concern for me, it was just our attitude in defence and our attitude just wasn’t there.

“We conceded 22 points but the way we conceded them was just unacceptable at an NRL level and I believe they’re better than that which is why I challenged them.”

The Titans round out their season with clashes against Melbourne and North Queensland, who will both be determined to perform to their best as they farewell legends of the game.

And the Gold Coast are determined not to earn the fury of their coach again.