Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Possibility that Harris and Luke could be out for the warriors. Gee I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooldog76 View Post
    Possibility that Harris and Luke could be out for the warriors. Gee I hope so.
    Good news, neither of them travelled over to Oz. They're out.

Inactive User

When we played The Drongoes, Easts and Newcastle in recent weeks they all had star players out too and look at how that worked out for us

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Good news, neither of them travelled over to Oz. They're out.
    Good news indeed. Luke is a big out.

Not feeling confident about this game, I never do especially against Warriors (or Broncos). I

will be happy if AJ stays sharp defensively, if Atay doesn't do stupid unecessary things and whinges to the refs, Wallace doesn't give away unnecessary penalties, and Sami brings the ball back straight with speed.

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    Not feeling confident about this game, I never do especially against Warriors (or Broncos). I

will be happy if AJ stays sharp defensively, if Atay doesn't do stupid unecessary things and whinges to the refs, Wallace doesn't give away unnecessary penalties, and Sami brings the ball back straight with speed.
    I think AJ may still have to pass a concussion protocol to line up. Expect Latu to take Matthews spot again. Courtesy of Wacko

Inactive User

Still time for Gold Coast Titans half Ash Taylor to become one of game’s greats

ASH Taylor has vowed to keep working on his game as he comes to terms with the trolls who have attacked his form following a recent slump.

Taylor rejected the idea missing Origin selection had led to a slump but admitted his “personal performance hasn’t been great” as the Titans battle to finish the season with pride after missing the finals.

One of the rising stars of the competition, Taylor was being considered by the Maroons ahead of Origin III before coach Kevin Walters plumped for Daly Cherry Evans, who led Queensland to victory in his representative return.

GET A NEW SET OF HEADPHONES WITH YOUR DIGITAL SUBSCRIPTION

Ash Taylor of the Titans is tackled during the round 18 NRL match between the Gold Coast Titans and the Sydney Roosters at Cbus Super Stadium. Photo: Getty Images
    His performances since then have not been up to his highest standard, with Taylor rating his effort in the 34-0 thrashing by the Broncos “probably the worst game of my career”.

But dealing with the vitriol of fans is something new for the 23-year-old.

“There’s some people that are out there just to hunt you down when you have your bad games,” Taylor said.

“You just wonder where they were when you were playing the great games — what they were thinking then.

“But I try not to get involved with that stuff.

“People have their opinion and that’s fine, that’s the nature of the game. It’s just being one of those guys, you know how it feels now, to string along some poor games and people are judging you on those games and forgetting about the rest of the season or the rest of your career.

“But I need to be better and I’m going to keep training hard.”

While Taylor has stepped up this season, with Gold Coast coach Garth Brennan demanding he run the team, he has just over 60 games to his credit in only his third full season in the NRL.

Ash Taylor is coming to terms with criticism after a recent slump. Photo: Getty Images
    “People take it to heart when I don’t have the best performances and start picking and blaming but I’m only 60 games into my career, so hopefully I’ve got another 10 years in me and I’ll keep working and going on,” Taylor said.

At the same point in their careers, many of the game’s best halfbacks were only just starting to make their mark and Taylor has time up his sleeve.

Cooper Cronk had 148 NRL games under his belt before he made his Maroons debut off the bench with Darren Lockyer and Johnathan Thurston in front of him.

While Thurston made his Origin debut after just 39 games, Daly Cherry Evans — who was preferred to Taylor for Game Three this year — had played 69 times before winning a single Queensland cap in 2013 and was used only sparingly over the following few years until three years in the wilderness between 2015 and 2018.

Cooper Cronk had played almost 150 NRL games before he made his Origin debut in 2010.
    While Mitchell Pearce made his debut after 30 games, he has admitted it was too early and he was not ready.

Taylor is determined not to get stuck in the same rut.

“I just need to get back in the mindframe of being happy playing footy,” he said.

Why is Taylor talking about the fans at all? If you are on a Million Dollars it’s fair enough that fans want leadership and improvement. I continue to be concerned about Taylor. Does he have it mentally to be a champion player??
    Last edited by Mr Bods; 29-07-18 at 09:51 AM.

Ash denies the origin non selection isnt related to his slump, after actually saying it was responsible for his bad game against Brisbane. ok den.

Can he get fit is my question? Carrying too much to be dynamic.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Warriors wary of Titans trip despite dominant record
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/

David Fusitu'a scores a try during the Warriors' win over the Titans in March.

The Warriors have done a pretty good job of ignoring head-to-head records this season and they will have to do so for a different reason on Sunday.

Winning 14 of their last 15 meetings, including the last seven on the Gold Coast, there is no other team the Warriors have enjoyed more success against than the Titans.

It's a staggering figure, even taking into account that the Titans have spent almost as long out of the finals as the Warriors since 2012. The one year they did finish in the top eight, in 2016, the Warriors still won both games the teams played.

With the Warriors having so much to play for and the 12th-placed Titans out of the finals contention, this is a match the visitors are expected to win.

But it also shapes as a potential danger game if they turn up in "holiday mode", as captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck put it this week, or if they have one eye on next week's game against the Dragons.

Not that coach Stephen Kearney believes that will be an issue.

"We've done a pretty good job of that all year," Kearney said.

"From our point of view, what's happened in the past means nothing if you don't turn up on Sunday at two o'clock with the right attitude.

"They're a good footy team that probably hasn't had a great deal of luck.

"I think the last five games they averaged 20 points for and 21 against.

"They always put themselves in the contest. They've got some real football about them."

The Titans are rebuilding under first year coach Garth Brennan but their roster is much stronger than their 6-12 record suggests.

They have a particularly rugged forward pack, including Kiwis international Kevin Proctor, Queensland duo Jarrod Wallace and Jai Arrow and fringe NSW prop Ryan James. If they can produce enough front-foot ball, talented young halfback Ash Taylor is more than capable of putting on a show.

The loss of Issac Luke to a calf injury is also a big blow to the Warriors, who have struggled in his absence at times this season without his impact around the ruck. They are also missing senior forwards Tohu Harris (knee) and Adam Blair (suspension).

Jazz Tevaga has replaced Luke in the starting side and is expected to share the dummy-half role with Karl Lawton, who has been brought onto the bench.

On the plus side, the Auckland outfit is relishing the chance to return to Queensland for the second time in three weeks, with the temperature at kick-off forecast for 24 degrees.

They have produced some of their best performances in dry and fast conditions, including the recent win over the Broncos, which favours their expansive style.

But remaining patient in attack has been a major theme this week and halfback Shaun Johnson says it's important that they find the right balance with the football.

"When we've got good weather and good dry footy obviously we can promote the ball a bit more and play some second-phase footy," Johnson said. "I know other teams don't like it when we get in that mood so hopefully we get over there and earn the right first through hard running and then start playing some Warrior ball."

Meanwhile, three-game rookie Joseph Vuna is set to make the first start of his NRL career after Harris' return from a knee injury was put on hold.

Vuna has been called into the back-row with Leivaha Pulu, who has recently recovered from 14 weeks out with a broken foot, taking his place on the interchange.

Peta Hiku and Mason Lino are the two players left on the extended bench with Kearney to finalise his line-up one hour before kick-off.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Warriors focus on developing teenage second-rower Isaiah Papali'i
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/

A new focus on the Warriors' left-side attack has allowed teenage second-rower Isaiah Papali'i to prove there is much more to his game than just tackles and hit-ups.

The Warriors red-hot start to the season saw them direct much of their play down the star studded right edge featuring Shaun Johnson, Tohu Harris and try-scoring machine David Fusitu'a.

Ahead of today's clash against the Gold Coast Titans at Cbus Super Stadium, coach Stephen Kearney explained a recent change in emphasis has seen the left edge fed more ball to allow Papali'i's game to flourish in just his second season of first grade.

The 19-year-old has quickly earned a reputation as a tireless worker in defence and a strong ball-runner, but recent games against the Sharks and Broncos have showcased his ability to offload and spread the ball to create tries for his centre partner Solomone Kata.

"We looked at our attacking structure and the right-edge was getting a bit of air time and we weren't going to the left as often, so we needed to balance that out," said Kearney.

"In the last few weeks we've looked to do that and it's been a conscious work-on for us and Isaiah has got the capabilities.

"We've just got to keep reminding ourselves that he's still only 19 and we're trying to push stuff on him pretty quickly but it's all a really good part of his learning and development."

The Warriors have injury concerns with hooker Issac Luke (calf) and Harris (knee) both sidelined but Papali'i feels he is hitting his straps physically after overcoming a knee injury suffered in the round two win over the Titans.

The eighth-placed Warriors yesterday plugged the gaps with bench utility Jazz Tevaga promoted into the No 9 role and three-game rookie Joseph Vuna into the second-row, as they look to bounce back from last week's loss to Melbourne.

"I'm back to 100 per cent," said Papali'i.

"I don't take notice of it anymore which is definitely a good sign. It's been coming along really well and the rest of the body is holding up well.

"[I didn't come back injured] but wasn't 100 per cent. But all of that was part of the healing process so to feel back to 100 per cent is good."

Papali'i goes about his business with little fuss or fanfare and is yet to win the type of praise that Australian commentators like to direct towards his Titans opposite and fellow second-year rookie Keegan Hipgrave.

Kearney prefers his players go under the radar but says Papali'i's break-out season hasn't gone unnoticed by rival coaches, including Storm mentor Craig Bellamy.

"I do like it that way. But I was talking to [Bellamy] on the weekend and he mentioned Isaiah so he's not going under the radar for some.

"I made the point that we've got some young kids here and he said 'well there are some good ones' and Isaiah was the name that he mentioned.

"That's what I like about Ice, he just goes about his business and does it well.

"He's a good learner and I enjoy working with him. He's got a bright future with the club."

Inactive User

Headed off now for the first time ever to a game where my coach has already offered up an excuse for losing when at his last presser he said “we are still a young team”.
    Give a playing group an excuse and they will take it with both arms.
    If we somehow win it will be as sweet as it gets because of their rude disgraceful fans. I’ll never forget the disrespect to David Mead and his Dad as long as I live.
    New Zealanders are fantastic people, I love going there but this crew that support NZ and live in SE QLD-massive thumbs down.

See u on the flip side brothers and sisters of the Beautiful Little City

Sorry to hear about this incident you speak about. Meady was always one of my favourite Titans.

But for me I find Warriors fans to be good but that always helps when they have the wood on us. The true test is how fans conduct themselves after a loss. (Gee many Broncos fans were poor winners a few weeks ago)

Pulu set to answer SOS call from Warriors
    https://www.nrl.com/

Leivaha Pulu can't wait to return to lock horns with his former Titans team-mates as he answers an urgent call of duty from the New Zealand Warriors following 14 weeks on the sidelines that he says was both a blessing and "torture".

The 28-year-old back-rower was initially named on the Warriors' extended bench for the round 20 clash at Cbus Stadium but with Adam Blair suspended and Tohu Harris (knee) ruled out along with hooker Issac Luke (calf), the visitors are suddenly short of go-forward muscle.

Those notable absences should open the door for Pulu on the interchange bench, with Bunty Afoa set to start in Harris's absence.

Last week Pulu made his comeback from a serious foot injury with a 60-minute effort in the Warriors' Intrust Super Premiership loss to Wyong, another of the Tongan international's former sides.

Showing glimpses of the tearaway form that helped the Warriors start the 2018 season with five straight wins, he had 10 runs for 76 metres and made 26 tackles without a miss.

Pulu said it was tough to sit on the sidelines for 12 rounds.

"Just when the brothers go to war, not being part of it," he said.

"It's easy being part of the good times but, say we had a loss, you want to help out in every possible way. And plus learning to walk again. I was in the cast for about two to three weeks and yeah, it was torture."

Fortunately, Pulu had his faith to keep in strong.

"I've been blessed," he said.

"Through my faith and through my walk, you know everyone goes through their seasons and I believe my season [the recovery from injury] that I went through was ploughing season and that was the time where I had to work the hardest, and I believe I've put myself in a good situation right now, being in the pecking order of the 17.

"I had time away with my family, my body was well rested and [now] it's the later part of the season, I believe it's time to really step it up and do my bit for the team.

"I give all my glory to the man above just for the stability in my walk and just to be amongst the boys. I love it, I love being here, I love being around the boys, it's a good bunch of boys, it's just awesome."

Pulu made his NRL debut for the Titans against the Newcastle Knights in round one of the 2016 premiership and went on to make 45 of a possible 49 appearances for the Gold Coast before joining the Warriors this season.

He started for the Warriors where he left off for the Titans, appearing in each of the Auckland-based club's five straight wins to start the season and scoring a try in a 30-6 thrashing of the Roosters in round four.

Warriors coach Stephen Kearney loves Pulu's aggressive edge but the player himself knows he has to keep an even keel.

"At the end of the day I think I've just got to come in and do my part," he said.

"I don't want to be too aggressive and leave a big hole in the defence line. So if I can come on and bring energy wherever I can, even if it means in a recovery session or warm-up or whatever, just to get the boys buzzing.

"The boys have done really well. They've played some really amazing footy but it's upwards and onwards from here."