Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/17/...ystem-rethink/

Here's the article we all knew would come. An apology from Sutton. It also explains the Elliot situation toward the end of the article.

Just on James, I think he stays out there for 80 because of our defensive issues we were having at the start of the year when we went to the bench. Since then he's just been left out there to tighten it all up.

Inactive User

DB-How about a rotation of Wallace/Boyd/Mo/King with Proctor/James being the 2nd row, Arrow lock and one of Latu/Hipgrave/Boyle/Stockwell being the third forward on the bench? Won’t go into the utility spot as there are too many factors at play there.
    Injuries will come into play to ruin it of course.

Gee we need to get rid of CartWrong and use his money to get another good back or two.

First Grader

Lee defensive deficiencies was all too evident last week. He might ok in attack but can be a turnstile in defence far too often

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    DB-How about a rotation of Wallace/Boyd/Mo/King with Proctor/James being the 2nd row, Arrow lock and one of Latu/Hipgrave/Boyle/Stockwell being the third forward on the bench? Won’t go into the utility spot as there are too many factors at play there.
    Injuries will come into play to ruin it of course.

Gee we need to get rid of CartWrong and use his money to get another good back or two.
    I don't hate James on the edge, but he plays best in the middle in my opinion. would need to see a few games of him playing pure left edge before i could be sure as its been a while.

I feel like Henry only played him wider that year to build his motor up before moving him back.

I do think Hipgrave brings something different if he can keep focused and reign it in just a little bit. Asides from Maybe James and Arrow, Hipgrave looks in terrific shape and fiercely fit. Can bounce around all game making good hit ups and taking shots at blokes. With our penchant for metre eaters like James, Wallace, Arrow, and Proctor a hole runner basically, Hipgrave can be the x factor out there for us.... as long as he can stay on the field
    Last edited by DavidBouveng; 17-07-18 at 07:29 PM.

I’d include King in that DB ... he maybe injured but we miss his work off the bench. 80 minutes of James in the middle is worth far more than him languishing on an edge.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Knights v Titans: Rossdog replaces Sione; Arrow bolsters Titans
    https://www.nrl.com/

Given how Newcastle performed before Mitchell Pearce got injured, it probably shouldn't have come as a surprise that the Knights won in his first game back, halting a three-game losing slide with a courageous come-from-behind victory over wooden spoon favourites Parramatta.

Okay it was only the Eels, but after falling behind 10-0 in 10 minutes a Pearce-driven Knights clawed their way back to claim their seventh win of the season and keep their ever-so-slim finals hopes alive.

Poor old Nathan Brown. The scenarios that must run through his head if Pearce and now Kalyn Ponga (hamstring injury) had been on board for every game. If the Knights don't win on Saturday they can definitely forget about the playoffs.

The Titans dropped to 6-11 with last week's home loss to an under-strength Roosters side and have welcomed back Origin duo Jai Arrow and Jarrod Wallace.

Key match-up: Jai Arrow will be looking forward to his first game back at club level now that the Origin series is wrapped up. Arrow played a key role in the Maroons' game three victory and will be looking to wreak havoc on the Knights forwards. Daniel Saifiti should take it as a personal challenge to keep Arrow as quiet as possible.

For the Knights to win: It's stating the bleeding obvious but Pearce will have to cast a long shadow for Newcastle to be successful. Brown got good contributions from other sources but with Ponga still a week away from returning, Pearce needs to be on his game from start to finish.

For the Titans to win: Wins over Canterbury and the Wests Tigers in rounds 15 and 16 had some pundits thinking the Titans could make a run at the top eight. But then came a harsh reality check in the form of a 34-0 loss to the Broncos in round 17, which was followed by last week's loss to the Roosters. Garth Brennan has to get his team clicking on all cylinders like they did against the Bulldogs and Eels and Ash Taylor needs to run the ball more.

Knights Stat Attack: It's no surprise that the Knights have relied heavily on the impact of Pearce this season – last week's win ended a six-game losing streak at home, while Newcastle have won five of eight games with Pearce in the side. Pearce has only lost twice in seven games at McDonald Jones Stadium.

Titans Stat Attack: The Gold Coast have had the wood on Newcastle in recent times, winning four of their past five against the Knights with Konrad Hurrell scoring doubles in both games against Newcastle last season.

And another thing: It's no top-of-the-table blockbuster but this is a crucial game for the 11th and 12-placed teams on the ladder and they will no doubt view each other as very beatable. Defence has been a problem for both teams all year, with the Knights conceding 444 points and the Titans 427. No other team has given up 400 yet.

Newcastle Knights v Gold Coast Titans, Saturday 3pm at McDonald Jones Stadium

Knights: 1 Nick Meaney, 2 Ken Sio, 3 Cory Denniss, 4 Shaun Kenny-Dowall, 5 Nathan Ross, 6 Connor Watson, 7 Mitchell Pearce (c), 8 Josh King, 9 Danny Levi, 10 Daniel Saifiti, 11 Aidan Guerra, 12 Mitch Barnett, 13 Herman Ese'ese

Interchange: 14 Jamie Buhrer (c), 15 Chris Heighington, 16 Lachlan Fitzgibbon, 17 Jacob Lillyman

Reserves: 18 Brent Naden, 19 Sam Stone, 20 Jack Cogger, 21 JJ Felise

Sione Mata'utia (concussion) is out, with Nathan Ross joining the backline and Lachlan Fitzgibbon returning from suspension on the bench.

Titans: 1 Michael Gordon, 2 Anthony Don, 3 Konrad Hurrell, 4 Brenko Lee, 5 Phillip Sami, 6 AJ Brimson, 7 Ashley Taylor, 8 Jarrod Wallace, 9 Nathan Peats, 10 Ryan James (c), 11 Kevin Proctor, 12 Keegan Hipgrave, 13 Jai Arrow

Interchange: 14 Mitch Rein, 15 Moeaki Fotuaika,16 Jack Stockwell, 17 Will Matthews

Reserves: 18 Leilani Latu, 19 Brendan Elliot, 20 Jai Whitbread, 21 Morgan Boyle

Jai Arrow and Keegan Hipgrave return, pushing Jarrod Wallace to prop, Moeaki Fotuaika and Will Matthews to the bench and Leilani Latu and Jai Whitbread to the reserves.

Head-to-head: Played 19; Knights 10 wins, Titans 9 wins
    Previous result: Titans won 33-26 at Cbus Super Stadium in round 11
    Points per game: Knights 17.6; Titans 18.1
    Points conceded per game: Knights 26.1; Titans 24.8
    Televised: Live on Fox League

Petero Civoniceva's prediction: The Knights will have taken plenty of confidence out of last week's win and playing at home is a big advantage. The return of Mitchell Pearce was massive and he brought composure in the tight moments. The Titans have had an up and down season and played without luck last Sunday but I favour the Knights at home.

TIP: Knights by 6
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post

Here's the article we all knew would come. An apology from Sutton. It also explains the Elliot situation toward the end of the article.
    Yep, we all know it was a no try and social media went overboard regarding this but again I will mention that this guy was 100% going to score until an offside Wallace stripped the ball. So if ref or bunker state no try then this is a professional foul and puts Wallace in the bin next to Mathews. So down to 11 players albeit Mathews only had a few minutes of bin time left. Still time for Roosters to do more damage with us only having 11 players for maybe 2-3 minutes and 12 players for a further 7-8. I am uncertain of the rules here but possibly the ref could have awarded a penalty try? Someone else can enlighten me on that. Me thinks we got the right end of the stick on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post

Just on James, I think he stays out there for 80 because of our defensive issues we were having at the start of the year when we went to the bench. Since then he's just been left out there to tighten it all up.
    I wish the 2 refs and the ref in charge of the bunker were made to front the media to answer questions on the games like the coaches and captains do after each outing. That might make them start officiating with more common sense, knowing they'll be quizzed after the match.

It comes down to our own performance though I guess. We need to improve our attack and defence. Like they say in the UFC/MMA...don't leave the result in the hands of the officials!

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Yep, we all know it was a no try and social media went overboard regarding this but again I will mention that this guy was 100% going to score until an offside Wallace stripped the ball. So if ref or bunker state no try then this is a professional foul and puts Wallace in the bin next to Mathews. So down to 11 players albeit Mathews only had a few minutes of bin time left. Still time for Roosters to do more damage with us only having 11 players for maybe 2-3 minutes and 12 players for a further 7-8. I am uncertain of the rules here but possibly the ref could have awarded a penalty try? Someone else can enlighten me on that. Me thinks we got the right end of the stick on this one.
    I just watched a partial replay......Mathews had closer to 3 minutes than 2 still in the bin.

Its funny shamus, if the refs went that way, i don't think anyone could argue.

they made their life so much tougher than it needed to be by going the controversial route when they had an easy out right in front of their noses!

Having Matthews off was arguably an advantage
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I’d include King in that DB ... he maybe injured but we miss his work off the bench. 80 minutes of James in the middle is worth far more than him languishing on an edge.
    Oh come on Titanic, being a 2nd rower isn’t exactly being on the wing. You are the 4th person in from the sideline. It would give him James a chance too to really wind up when he does have a run. Plus if it’s LG of The Termite at 5/8 next year that player will need a defensive bodyguard as both as we all know have deficiencies.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    Its funny shamus, if the refs went that way, i don't think anyone could argue.

they made their life so much tougher than it needed to be by going the controversial route when they had an easy out right in front of their noses!
    Exactly. What I don't comprehend is why no football callers or media have mentioned this at all.

Sorry......Just realised that we have stolen the Newcastle game thread.

He may not have been sent off. We also had a player interfered with inside the ten when we had a quick tap and we didn't even get a penalty. So who knows what the refs would have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Having Matthews off was arguably an advantage
    Started the year on fire & now I think he’s another Simpkins & should be in Q Cup
    #itaintweaktospeak