Default Preston Campbell honoured / Preston Campbell Stand

Deserves its own thread.

TRIBUTE TO STAND THE TEST OF TIME

PRESTON Campbell’s contribution to the Titans will live on in perpetuity after the Gold Coast named a stand at Cbus Super Stadium after their foundation signing.

Campbell’s reaction to the honour says everything about why it was so fitting.

The unveiling of the stand

– which will bear the moniker the Preston Campbell Stand only when the Titans play at Robina – was a surprise to the great man, who had just finished playing an All Star clash against the Broncos All Stars in a match to raise awareness of indigenous health issues through Deadly Choices.

Campbell was pleasantly shocked at the on-ground announcement and unveiling of a banner on the eastern grandstand.

“I’m speechless, he said. “Rugby league’s already done so much for me, so many people influenced my career and supported me along the way.

“It’s not something that you expect.

“I played for 14 years and I had a great time and this just tops it all off.

“Rugby league gave me so much and I’ll spend the rest of my life trying to repay the faith it had in me.”

Titans chief executive Graham Annesley said Campbell embodied everything the Titans were about.

“As a foundation player and the fact that he is so revered in the indigenous community and the general Gold Coast community, the fact that he’s still a supporter of our club and gets involved with our club whenever he gets the opportunity,” Annesley said when asked why Campbell was chosen.

“We just think it’s a wonderful honour for him and for the club that we can utilise his name in honouring him.”

Most would argue the game owes Campbell – at least on the Gold Coast.

The former Dally M medallist was the first signing made by the Titans – as much for his integrity and connections to fans and the community as for his ability as a player. The architect of the Indigenous All Stars concept, Campbell continues to give back to the community through the Preston Campbell Foundation which mentors young people. But he remains eternally humble. “I know there’s that relationship,” he said. “Rugby league helped me grow as a person and I just want to show what rugby league did for me.”

Campbell said he was thrilled to be able to have a lasting connection to the Titans and the Gold Coast through the stand.

“That’s what is most important to me – people knowing I started on the Gold Coast,” said Campbell, who started his NRL career with the Chargers in 1998.

“I may have gone away but I came back to the Gold Coast and I just love the club

– the fact that it gave me my first chance and that I was able to finish up here and be successful.

“This is just a great honour – and that stand’s going to be here forever now, so for me to be associated with the Gold Coast and the Titans, I’m very honoured.”
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Was so pleased to see Preston honoured. He is an excellent role model and custodian of the game. And as I said recently, he has that direct connection to the Chargers era which I enjoyed.

On the other hand, it is another great step forward in building club culture and it will be just tremendous to see that banner wave each game day. In fact, perhaps the banner is better than a sign, as it'll get much more attention.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Couldn't agree more. Has there ever been a more humble or personable rugby league identity than PC?

When he played his courage won him as many fans as his silky skills and since retirement his undying faith in what he does for the community is a lesson in commitment for us all.

I am very proud for my family to be Titans' members based on his example.
    Last edited by Titanic; 10-07-18 at 08:55 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Absolutely fantastic for Preston to get this recognition and well done to the titans for doing this also