Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

So Radley is out through suspension. Napa wasn't named and it's looking like Tedesco may be rested.

Cronk could also be a withdrawal due to the impending birth of his first child

planets aligning nicely

Latrell Mitchell should have been suspended for the shoulder charge on Slater in the early minutes of Origin 3 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gcboyz View Post
    Latrell Mitchell should have been suspended for the shoulder charge on Slater in the early minutes of Origin 3 as well.
    That was really blatant and highlighted on the commentary ... one rule for NSW and another for the rest.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Blues No.1 Tedesco set to be rested for Roosters
    https://www.nrl.com/

NSW fullback James Tedesco has indicated he may be rested for the Sydney Roosters in Sunday afternoon's clash with the Gold Coast Titans after a gruelling State of Origin campaign.

Tedesco flew home from Brisbane with Blues teammates on Thursday following their six-point loss to the Maroons in Origin III to be greeted by fans at The Star in Sydney in a hero's reception.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson had already ruled out Blues skipper Boyd Cordner for the clash while Maroons prop Dylan Napa is still sidelined with the ankle injury which kept him out of Origin III.

The Tricolours have also lost Victor Radley through suspension and Tedesco added he could also miss the tussle with the Titans.

"I think so, I don't know, I might be having a bit of a rest," Tedesco said.

"My body is sweet, just more I haven't really had a rest for the year so far.

"If it's sweet I'll play but will speak to Robbo tomorrow and see what happens."

Many experts tipped Tedesco as a strong contender for the player of the series honours on Wednesday after a consistent Origin campaign, but the Blues fullback was overlooked for opposite number Billy Slater, who took out the Wally Lewis Medal.

Tedesco said he congratulated Slater on a decorated representative career after the game, and saw the lighter side to missing out on the accolade.

"I think that intercept probably hurt me a bit, to be honest," Tedesco grinned in reference to his errant pass which led to a Valentine Holmes try.

"Jimmy [James Maloney] came up to me straight away and said don't worry about it mate, just keep playing footy. I think that's the big thing, if you dwell on it too much the game will get away from you.

"I felt like I reacted well and come up with a few good plays after that. I'm happy with how I went in the series, to play good footy at this level is really confidence boosting."

After a slow start at the Roosters, the form of Tedesco in the Origin series under coach Brad Fittler has him primed for a threatening end to the regular season at his new club.

With Slater's vacant Australian fullback role up for grabs, the 25-year-old made no secret he wanted to nab the position.

"If I can finish the year well for the Roosters and get a call up to the Australian side, that's a goal for me," Tedesco said.

"[But] I don't want to think about it too much, the goal for me now is to play some semi-finals footy with the Roosters, which I'm pretty excited about.

"I haven't played semi-finals before. With the team we have there we're starting to find some combinations. You never know what could happen.

"It's always hard moving to a new club, it was a new thing for me. Coming in here and the confidence Freddie gave me and the rest of the boys is something I'll take back to club land."
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Being a glutton for punishment, I'm headed back to the Titans on Sunday and I just used the 50% code to bring some friends. It is GCTSYD by the way.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Video: Flash Gordon ready to face former club
    CLICK HERE TO WATCH

Gold Coast Titans fullback Michael Gordon ready to move on from their disappointing loss against Brisbane Broncos

Horror record: True extent of Titans’ post-Origin woes
    https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

The Titans will attempt to banish their traditional post-Origin slump as they chase an unlikely finals spot with an upset against the Roosters on Sunday.

In numbers that would scare the most optimistic Gold Coast fan, the club have endured a horror record after the showpiece series.

The Titans have finished with a positive win-loss record just once in their history after the Origin period.

That 7-4 run came in 2010, the year they reached the preliminary finals. Outside of that, their 5-5 effort in 2009 and 4-1-4 finish in 2016 are the only other seasons not in the negative.

The 2-8 finish of 2008, as well as the 2-7 marks of 2007 and 2014, are the club’s worst ends to a season.

Overall, the Titans’ record sinks to 35 wins, one draw and 65 losses after Origin – well down on their overall win percentage of 42.6.

The Titans’ 34-0 loss to Brisbane last start all but torpedoed their finals chances, although they have a mathematical chance if they can win out.

Maroons Origin duo Jai Arrow and Jarrod Wallace have vowed to turn out just days after a bruising final Origin clash at Suncorp Stadium.

“I’ve got a little cork but I should be ready to go,” Arrow said.

“I’m someone that doesn’t like to let my teammates down so I’ll be out there ready to rip and tear with the boys.”

Arrow said the Titans had “shot ourselves in the foot” chasing a finals campaign.

“There were some Games I think we should have won,” Arrow said.

“But it is mathematically possible and I guess we’ve just got do go back and enjoy ourselves and enjoy the game and being in each other’s company.

“Hopefully we string a few games together and we’re chasing the finals.”

Queensland coach Kevin Walters said Wallace had redeemed himself in Game Three and the front-rower is determined to carry his representative form back to the Titans.

“Last week hurt, I was there with the boys and they were very disappointed,” Wallace said of the loss to the Broncos.

“But I know Garth would have had them back into training, they will have had a good week and we’ll be back there (for captain’s run) on Saturday and I’m looking forward to ripping into the Roosters on Sunday.”

Arrow too wants to transfer the Origin buzz to club level and continue the exponential improvement in his game that led to him being singled out by Walters as one of the positives for Queensland this series.

“Certainly I think the performance of Jai Arrow and Josh Papalii to start the game (was outstanding),” Walters said.

“It does set up a bright future for us.”

The youngest starting front-rower in Queensland history, Arrow was thrilled to have played his first game at Suncorp Stadium and wants to remain a part of the Origin set-up for the future.

“I loved every minute of it and it’s definitely something I’m going to strive for again,” he said.

“Now that I’ve played this Origin series, it definitely makes me want to play more.

“It’s such a great feeling putting on this Maroon jersey and I never thought I’d get the chance to do it and now that I’ve had the opportunity to play, I definitely want more.

“Queensland have shown over the past decade they’ve had such a tight bunch of blokes and I guess it’s a new era for Queensland.

“If we can stay together and play good footy for our clubs and come into Origin in form, then we’ll definitely put our best foot forward to go on and play good footy and hopefully win.”

Titans vs Roosters preview on League Unlimited http://leagueunlimited.com/news/3216...sters-preview/

Three men and a baby: Roosters could be without $4 million of talent
    https://www.smh.com.au/

Three men and a baby could hold the key to the Roosters chances against the Gold Coast as the Sydney club faces the prospect of having $4 million worth of talent sidelined on Sunday.

Captain Boyd Cordner won’t play against the Titans and coach Trent Robinson is also likely to rest fellow Blues James Tedesco and Latrell Mitchell from the Cbus Super Stadium encounter. The Roosters are already without the suspended Victor Radley and the injured Dylan Napa, while Cooper Cronk could miss the match to be at the birth of his first child.

Cronk’s wife, Tara Rushton, is expecting this weekend and young gun Sean O’Sullivan is on standby to make his NRL debut.

O’Sullivan was set to be the Blues pivot for the under-20s State of Origin game on Wednesday, but the Roosters pulled him out in case he is required on Sunday. The teenager, the son of former tri-colours recruitment boss Peter O’Sullivan, made his way through the grades at Penrith, but was released after getting stuck behind young halves Nathan Cleary, Tyrone May and Jerome Luai.

O’Sullivan was one of the stars for NSW Residents in their 36-20 win over Queensland Residents last month. Combining brilliantly with Cronulla’s Kyle Flanagan in the halves, O’Sullivan scored a try to set up a commanding 30-0 halftime lead. It wasn’t the first time he left NSW Residents coach Shane Millard impressed.

“I first ran into Sully when he played for Penrith in an SG Ball grand final against us when I was coaching the Steelers,” Millard said.

“After they beat us, they shook hands and did the presentation. Then Sully, who was just 17 years old, walked into our dressing sheds, shook mine and Shaun Timmins’ hand and ‘said thanks very much, bad luck’.

“He then shook all the players’ hands again and thanked them for a great game.

“For a young bloke to do that, that just doesn’t happen any more. It was pretty impressive and I’ve always watched him from afar since.”

O’Sullivan was called into the Residents team at the last minute after Bulldog Lachlan Lewis pulled out to be on standby for NRL duty.

“I’ve found Sully to be a terrific young bloke, he knows his footy inside out,” Millard said.

“I put Sully in and he was outstanding. He and Flanno were impressive in all our meetings and Sully ran the team perfectly.

“He helped put the game plan together and then his execution of it was second to none.

“He’s just a great young bloke to have around, I really enjoy his company.”

The Roosters face a Gold Coast outfit coming off an embarrassing 34-0 home loss to Brisbane last weekend. Cordner was never going to back up after a calf injury almost prevented him from taking part in Origin III, while Tedesco and Mitchell have also endured heavy workloads due to the interstate series.

The Titans clash will be a good test of the Roosters’ depth if most of their big guns aren’t available.

The Roosters sit in sixth spot and need to win to remain within touching distance of the top four.

Millard is confident O’Sullivan will take his chance at NRL level when it comes.

“The football side of it, in terms of the game plan and getting the side around the field, that will be no problem,” he said.

“He’s a real student of the game. It will be interesting to see how he handles the pressure from the inside, the line speed and the lack of time you get with the ball at NRL level compared to reserve grade.

“Robbo’s obviously has got a lot of faith in him and I don’t disagree with Robbo.”

Perfect opportunity for Roosters' lesser lights to shine
    https://www.nrl.com/

Jake Friend backs the Sydney Roosters' young guns to step up in the absence of their captain Boyd Cordner and hard-hitting prop Dylan Napa.

Napa is out after suffering a knee injury in round 16 against the Storm, while coach Trent Robinson is resting his skipper after Wednesday night's Origin duties in Brisbane.

Filling Cordner's big shoes against the Titans on Sunday will be 20-year-old Nat Butcher, while Lindsay Collins is likely to step in for Napa.

Friend told NRL.com he expects the talented duo to make the most of the opportunity and is eager to see what they have to offer.

"Boyd and Napa are obviously two big parts of our team," Friend said.

"Especially with our go-forward, they're pretty prominent in that. But we've got some young boys coming through and it's awesome to see them getting opportunities and I'm excited to see what they can do on the weekend."

Now in his third season of first grade, Butcher is starting to come into his own as a valuable member of Robinson's main squad.

Friend said he hasn't shied away from taking on a vocal role with the Roosters - a strong trait of Cordner's game.

"Whilst it's tough to fill Boyd's shoes, Nat's an awesome player and I'm sure he'll come in and do a great job," Friend said.

"Boyd is very vocal and you know when he wants the ball and I think Butch is similar in that way. He played there last week and was yelling out from that left side and you knew when he wanted to take a hit up - it's great to have a guy so young and keen to get his hands on the ball."

The Roosters are fifth on the Telstra Premiership ladder and will be confident of taking the two points home from Cbus Super Stadium on Sunday.

Vice-captain Jared Waerea-Hargreaves said defence would be the key against the Titans.

"When we played them on the Central Coast [in round 12] they threw a lot of footy at us," Waerea-Hargreaves said.

"With the style of footy they play they ask a lot of questions so defensively you have to be on. We obviously know we can attack so for us it's about worrying about our defence."

After an ordinary showing through the first half of the season, the fifth-placed Roosters are well placed for a top four finish.

Waerea-Hargreaves said his team is confident with how they are tracking with eight rounds remaining but there was still work to be done.

"We're at that crucial time in the season where you want to start or already be playing some good footy," he said.

"There are certain parts of our footy which are really good so our confidence is high but at the same time we know we still have a lot of improvement in us.

Roosters updated list. No teddy, no Latrell but Matterson is back

We have a snif here.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.