Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Round 18: TITANS v ROOSTERS

TITANS v Roosters
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

We are no chance of making finals, why not give Kane a chance to earn a contract, AJ lacks the playmaking abilities needed when ash fades out of games, and is being groomed as a FB so why not either put him there now and move Gordon to centre or wing, or have him come of the bench like Qld did with ponga and maybe abit of hooker let him develop as a FB in q cup

LG is worth 500K plus in the Superleague, Id say there is no chance of him being around next season so no need to play him in the top squad anymore
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Hurrell's NRL chance after Copley injury
    https://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/

The door has been left ajar for exiled Gold Coast centre Konrad Hurrell after Dale Copley's season-ending hamstring injury.

Sunday's clash with the Sydney Roosters will be Hurrell's first as a starting centre since he was dropped ahead of round 10, two months ago.

The likeable Tongan representative endured an error-riddled start to the season but, still contracted for another year at the club, now has a chance to finish the campaign where he started.

The Titans have named Queensland forwards Jarrod Wallace and Jai Arrow for the clash, while Alexander Brimson is set to play three games inside a week as he prepares to represent the Queensland under-20s on Wednesday night.

Kane Elgey, off-contract and linked to a move to the Europe next season, is waiting in the wings if Brimson is unable to back up.

Brennan said the Titans were yet to table a new offer to Elgey, with the big-money five-eighth out of favour and restricted to just seven NRL games this season.

"Kane's more than capable of slotting in there if AJ is a bit fatigued or sustains an injury, I'm sure Kane will grab his opportunity," Brennan said.

Copley's hamstring rupture rubbed salt into the Titans' wounds after a horrid 34-0 defeat to Brisbane on Sunday.

"It's not good for Dale; he's been playing some good football too and battled injury in the past so it's important we get it right," Brennan said.

"The first thing he said to me was 'how can I help out the team'.

"He's a very smart footballer, Dale, and to have him helping out the players with preparation before games and doing homework on opposition is going to help us out as well."

The loss to Brisbane all but ended the Titans finals hopes, with the side now four wins outside the top eight with eight games remaining.

"They're down on the performance, they're embarrassed about it and it's important we go out and put on a better performance against another powerhouse in the Roosters," Brennan said.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Being a glutton for punishment, I'm headed back to the Titans on Sunday and I just used the 50% code to bring some friends. It is GCTSYD by the way.

Video: Flash Gordon ready to face former club
    CLICK HERE TO WATCH

Gold Coast Titans fullback Michael Gordon ready to move on from their disappointing loss against Brisbane Broncos

Horror record: True extent of Titans’ post-Origin woes
    https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

The Titans will attempt to banish their traditional post-Origin slump as they chase an unlikely finals spot with an upset against the Roosters on Sunday.

In numbers that would scare the most optimistic Gold Coast fan, the club have endured a horror record after the showpiece series.

The Titans have finished with a positive win-loss record just once in their history after the Origin period.

That 7-4 run came in 2010, the year they reached the preliminary finals. Outside of that, their 5-5 effort in 2009 and 4-1-4 finish in 2016 are the only other seasons not in the negative.

The 2-8 finish of 2008, as well as the 2-7 marks of 2007 and 2014, are the club’s worst ends to a season.

Overall, the Titans’ record sinks to 35 wins, one draw and 65 losses after Origin – well down on their overall win percentage of 42.6.

The Titans’ 34-0 loss to Brisbane last start all but torpedoed their finals chances, although they have a mathematical chance if they can win out.

Maroons Origin duo Jai Arrow and Jarrod Wallace have vowed to turn out just days after a bruising final Origin clash at Suncorp Stadium.

“I’ve got a little cork but I should be ready to go,” Arrow said.

“I’m someone that doesn’t like to let my teammates down so I’ll be out there ready to rip and tear with the boys.”

Arrow said the Titans had “shot ourselves in the foot” chasing a finals campaign.

“There were some Games I think we should have won,” Arrow said.

“But it is mathematically possible and I guess we’ve just got do go back and enjoy ourselves and enjoy the game and being in each other’s company.

“Hopefully we string a few games together and we’re chasing the finals.”

Queensland coach Kevin Walters said Wallace had redeemed himself in Game Three and the front-rower is determined to carry his representative form back to the Titans.

“Last week hurt, I was there with the boys and they were very disappointed,” Wallace said of the loss to the Broncos.

“But I know Garth would have had them back into training, they will have had a good week and we’ll be back there (for captain’s run) on Saturday and I’m looking forward to ripping into the Roosters on Sunday.”

Arrow too wants to transfer the Origin buzz to club level and continue the exponential improvement in his game that led to him being singled out by Walters as one of the positives for Queensland this series.

“Certainly I think the performance of Jai Arrow and Josh Papalii to start the game (was outstanding),” Walters said.

“It does set up a bright future for us.”

The youngest starting front-rower in Queensland history, Arrow was thrilled to have played his first game at Suncorp Stadium and wants to remain a part of the Origin set-up for the future.

“I loved every minute of it and it’s definitely something I’m going to strive for again,” he said.

“Now that I’ve played this Origin series, it definitely makes me want to play more.

“It’s such a great feeling putting on this Maroon jersey and I never thought I’d get the chance to do it and now that I’ve had the opportunity to play, I definitely want more.

“Queensland have shown over the past decade they’ve had such a tight bunch of blokes and I guess it’s a new era for Queensland.

“If we can stay together and play good footy for our clubs and come into Origin in form, then we’ll definitely put our best foot forward to go on and play good footy and hopefully win.”

Titans vs Roosters preview on League Unlimited http://leagueunlimited.com/news/3216...sters-preview/

Three men and a baby: Roosters could be without $4 million of talent
    https://www.smh.com.au/

Three men and a baby could hold the key to the Roosters chances against the Gold Coast as the Sydney club faces the prospect of having $4 million worth of talent sidelined on Sunday.

Captain Boyd Cordner won’t play against the Titans and coach Trent Robinson is also likely to rest fellow Blues James Tedesco and Latrell Mitchell from the Cbus Super Stadium encounter. The Roosters are already without the suspended Victor Radley and the injured Dylan Napa, while Cooper Cronk could miss the match to be at the birth of his first child.

Cronk’s wife, Tara Rushton, is expecting this weekend and young gun Sean O’Sullivan is on standby to make his NRL debut.

O’Sullivan was set to be the Blues pivot for the under-20s State of Origin game on Wednesday, but the Roosters pulled him out in case he is required on Sunday. The teenager, the son of former tri-colours recruitment boss Peter O’Sullivan, made his way through the grades at Penrith, but was released after getting stuck behind young halves Nathan Cleary, Tyrone May and Jerome Luai.

O’Sullivan was one of the stars for NSW Residents in their 36-20 win over Queensland Residents last month. Combining brilliantly with Cronulla’s Kyle Flanagan in the halves, O’Sullivan scored a try to set up a commanding 30-0 halftime lead. It wasn’t the first time he left NSW Residents coach Shane Millard impressed.

“I first ran into Sully when he played for Penrith in an SG Ball grand final against us when I was coaching the Steelers,” Millard said.

“After they beat us, they shook hands and did the presentation. Then Sully, who was just 17 years old, walked into our dressing sheds, shook mine and Shaun Timmins’ hand and ‘said thanks very much, bad luck’.

“He then shook all the players’ hands again and thanked them for a great game.

“For a young bloke to do that, that just doesn’t happen any more. It was pretty impressive and I’ve always watched him from afar since.”

O’Sullivan was called into the Residents team at the last minute after Bulldog Lachlan Lewis pulled out to be on standby for NRL duty.

“I’ve found Sully to be a terrific young bloke, he knows his footy inside out,” Millard said.

“I put Sully in and he was outstanding. He and Flanno were impressive in all our meetings and Sully ran the team perfectly.

“He helped put the game plan together and then his execution of it was second to none.

“He’s just a great young bloke to have around, I really enjoy his company.”

The Roosters face a Gold Coast outfit coming off an embarrassing 34-0 home loss to Brisbane last weekend. Cordner was never going to back up after a calf injury almost prevented him from taking part in Origin III, while Tedesco and Mitchell have also endured heavy workloads due to the interstate series.

The Titans clash will be a good test of the Roosters’ depth if most of their big guns aren’t available.

The Roosters sit in sixth spot and need to win to remain within touching distance of the top four.

Millard is confident O’Sullivan will take his chance at NRL level when it comes.

“The football side of it, in terms of the game plan and getting the side around the field, that will be no problem,” he said.

“He’s a real student of the game. It will be interesting to see how he handles the pressure from the inside, the line speed and the lack of time you get with the ball at NRL level compared to reserve grade.

“Robbo’s obviously has got a lot of faith in him and I don’t disagree with Robbo.”

Titans’ depth further tested with loss of vigorous forward
    http://www.couriermail.com.au

THE Titans have been dealt another setback ahead of today’s clash with the Roosters, with enforcer Keegan Hipgrave ruled out of the showdown.

The Gold Coast will be without their first-choice forward pack yet again, after aggressive workhorse Hipgrave failed to pass a concussion test.

The former Broncos under-20s gun suffered a head knock last week against his former club and has failed to recover in time for the Titans’ must-win match at Cbus Super Stadium today.

Will Matthews is expected to move into the starting side to replace Hipgrave, while Morgan Boyle or Leilani Latu will come on to the bench.

After last week losing Jarrod Wallace and Jai Arrow to Origin duties, it’s another test for the club’s forward depth against the Roosters.

But Arrow said despite the continual setbacks, the Gold Coast had not given up on their finals hopes.

The side’s disappointing 34-0 loss to the Broncos saw the Titans slip eight points outside the top eight, and they now need a miracle to play in this year’s finals series given how competitive the race to September has become.

Arrow is confident the club have that ability, even if they must turn around their fortunes immediately.

“That’s what this entire group has been about this year,” he said of the belief in the club.

“When (coach) Garth (Brennan) came to the club he told us we’re the Titans of new, not the Titans of old. He wanted us to be a team that never gave up and a team that always believed. I think we are.

“We’re starting to build combinations there that I think can go on for the future. We just need to go back, enjoy our footy and hopefully that rolls on to the field and we are chasing the finals.”

The Titans have a tough run over the next eight weeks, starting with today’s clash with the Roosters.

They will also play the Warriors, Panthers and Storm, who are all sitting in the top eight, and will finish their season against the Cowboys, who will be pushing to send retiring playmaker Johnathan Thurston out on a high note

TITANS’ FIVE BEST
    http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

JARROD WALLACE

Backed up superbly from Origin despite looking gassed early, almost sealing the win after scoring a try and having another denied. Ran for almost 100m, made 30 tackles and was tireless.

MOEAKI FOTUAIKA

Emerging as one of the Titans great success stories this season and scored his maiden NRL try last night. Made 107m and 33 tackles and again earnt praise from coach Garth Brennan for his efforts.

AJ BRIMSON

In his third game in seven days was outstanding, standing up to take pressure off Ash Taylor, who had another game to forget. With three tackle breaks, two offloads and one linebreak assist, showed he has plenty of strings to his bow. But his best asset may be his defence.

RYAN JAMES

The captain had yet another dependable game, making 123m and 35 tackles in an effort that has become as regular as clockwork. The effort by James after what would have been an emotional week in camp with the NSW Blues as 18th man was outstanding.

JAI WHITBREAD

May not have had the best stats or the flashiest plays but was solid in his NRL debut, just days after turning out for NSW in the under-20 Origin clash. Along with Fotuaika, Brimson and Phillip Sami, Whitbread is seen as the future of the club.

Being a glutton for punishment I'll probably go down the M1 again. Hope our Origin boys come through ok. Won't be an easy game. Don't really know what the answer is. Just hope the right team shows up with the right attitude. Agree with comments that we should begin to experiment for the remainder of 2018.

AJ should be warming into his game now after 6-8 games or whatever, but instead his initial physicality in Defence is waning, and his limitations in attack are showing.

And if we are thinking he is a fullback...im worried about that now as well. He has average pace as far as i can tell for a back, nothing electric and not a lot of lateral movement or stepping ability. he'll just run it back hard with his robust little frame.

LG is likely not the answer, despite my affection for him so we are up for a 5/8th AND a FB in the next 2-3 years

Inactive User

If LG isn’t selected and given a chance for a contract this week then that will probably be it for me with Brennan and Annesley. To not find a spot shows me he’s a poor judge and I don’t want a poor judge that doesn’t support local talent as Coach.

Can't have a team full of locals and the position he fills is filled by local juniors. If you haven't caught on yet, LG won't be here next year.

Hopefully with a classy forward pack next year we can lay a platform for our halfs to play good football. Obviously Copley is out (maybe for the season), Hurrell gets his spot back by default. I'd give Sami a rest and see what our other outside backs do with that opportunity. Does anyone want to grab the opportunity with both hands and shine or are they all in holiday mode on the Gold Coast?