Titans cult hero to play 100th NRL game against Bulldogs
https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au

IT’S something Anthony Don never thought he’d be discussing.

The Titans cult hero will line up in his 100th NRL game tomorrow, a mark he never thought he’d achieve.

The Grafton product, who didn’t believe he would even be good enough to play in the state league for Burleigh, was amazed to have made his NRL debut, let alone be on the cusp of celebrating 100 games for the one club.

Don’s is a story of perseverance as much as talent.

It’s about hard work and dedication and enjoying the ride along the way.

And it’s a reminder in an era in which schoolboys are contracted to clubs in their teens and have never had a job or life experience outside of football, that rugby league is only a game — and that playing in the NRL is a privilege and treasure to be enjoyed.

“I guess that’s just part of my personality — I don’t really rate myself that much, at footy or anything,” Don said.

Asked if he ever thought he’d be talking about playing 100 NRL games, Don was almost embarrassed.

“Of course not. I didn’t think I was good enough for Burleigh,” he said.

“Obviously it’s an honour and something I’ll look back on when I’m finished as a great achievement.

“I’m happy to play 100 for the Titans, it’s a great milestone that I’m proud of.”

It came about fortuitously really.

Don’s breakout 2010 season for the Grafton Ghosts attracted the attention of Queensland Cup clubs as he scored a record 40 tries in the Northern Rivers Regional Rugby League competition, along with 71 goals in a 302-point season haul.

“There were a couple of Queensland Cup teams that were making some contact through coaching staff at Grafton and friends of friends but they were teams like Redcliffe and Norths Brisbane and I didn’t really want to move to Redcliffe,” Don said.

“I thought the easiest option would be to go to the Gold Coast.

“My brother was living here and I had a lot of friends here from Grafton, so I contacted Burleigh and I had a meeting with the coach Paul Bradley and the CEO Damien Driscoll and had a conversation with them.

“And I think my mum may have sent some newspaper clippings behind my back.”

Others may have believed in Don but his own conviction took a bit longer.

“I remember my train of thought was: ‘There’s only two teams on the Gold Coast, I can’t be in the best two teams’ worth of players on the Coast’,” he said.

“But I thought I had to give it a crack because that was the next progression.”

A strong season with Burleigh led to Don being given a train-and-trial deal with the Titans and while he arrived at just 89kg, he grabbed his chance and hasn’t looked back since making his debut against Parramatta in Round 6, 2013.

The grandson of former Kangaroos tourist and coaching great Ron Willey, Don feels privileged to be making a living doing something he loves.

“I’d be playing regardless. If I wasn’t playing footy, I’d probably be playing AFL or I’d just be playing any sport really,” he said.

“But footy’s the sport I grew up playing and I’ve got family tradition in the sport, so it was always going to be my No. 1 pick and I’m lucky to have done what I’ve done so far.”

Don will turn 31 at the end of the season but hopes his late start in the NRL could extend his shelf life, hopefully with the Titans, with whom he has opened negotiations for next year.

“My body’s fresh at the moment and I could definitely see myself playing for the next two or three years, no doubt,” he said.

“It just depends what happens with injuries and form and things like that.”