Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

NSW v Queensland: State of Origin II preview
    https://www.nrl.com/

After blowing last year's series, the Blues are in the same situation again heading into Sunday's game two, although this time there's no Cameron Smith or Johnathan Thurston to bring the Maroons back from the brink.

It's no point theorising if they learned a lesson or not because most of NSW's 2017 players weren't chosen for this series. Let's just say the selectors must've learned a lesson.

This Blues team hopes to do what Queensland did for the previous decade or so by starting their own multi-year dynasty, eventually leaving indelible footprints as one of the all-time great NSW sides.

But if they get ahead of themselves for a moment the Maroons will make them pay – as they often have over the years, even before Smith and Thurston broke into the Origin scene.

Queensland coach Kevin Walters has made a couple of much-needed team changes from game one and is hoping it has the desired effect. Can't wait to see when 20-year-old superstar in the making Kalyn Ponga comes off the bench for his first taste of Origin footy. Bring on Sunday night!

Key match-up: Experience versus X-factor. When the result is on the line, few players seal games better than the king of crunch time James Maloney. The Panthers pivot has the uncanny knack of making each team he's part of a winning one. His duel with Melbourne playmaker Cameron Munster will go a long way toward determining the outcome of the all-important game two.

For the Blues to win: Good as it must feel to be up 1-0 in the best of three series, NSW might be better off with the approach that it's still 0-0. That might be the only way to stamp out any cockiness lingering from their 22-12 game one victory. James Tedesco might not reach his Man of the Match heights from game one, meaning other players will have to be ready to step up. When the Blues briefly fell behind in game one there was no panic and they better be armed with exactly the same poise and belief on Sunday.

For the Maroons to win: There's nothing like the fear of failure to bring out the best in elite athletes. The Queenslanders know the series hinges on this game and will be desperate to avoid heading home to Brisbane for a dead rubber in game three. Inglis has to lead from the front like he did so stoically in game one, but he needs help from every one of his teammates if Queensland are to keep the series alive. They can't afford to let Tedesco get his confidence up like he did in the first game and the forwards have to stand up and be counted.

NSW Stat Attack: The Blues have only secured a series win at ANZ Stadium three times, in 2003, 2004 and 2014. Brad Fittler meanwhile is looking to become the sixth NSW coach to claim victory in his first Origin series, after Terry Fearnley (1985), Ron Willey (1986), Phil Gould (1992), Tom Raudonikis (1997) and Ricky Stuart (2005).

Queensland Stat Attack: Billy Slater will play his 30th State of Origin match, the 10th Maroons player to do so and the 11th overall. Meanwhile Kalyn Ponga is set to become the youngest Queensland Origin debutant since Israel Folau in 2008.

And another thing: The largest crowd to watch a State of Origin match was 91,513 in 2015 at the MCG, while the smallest was 16,559 at Lang Park in 1984. NSW hold the record for most points scored in a single game when they beat the Maroons 56-16 in game three in 2000. That was also the game when Ryan Girdler racked up an Origin-high 32 points in one game – an individual record that will almost certainly never be broken. Cameron Smith holds the record for most games played (42), while Greg Inglis has scored the most Origin tries (17). Petero Civoniceva was the oldest Origin player at 36 in 2012 and Ben Ikin was the youngest at 18 in 1995.

New South Wales Blues: 1 James Tedesco, 2 Tom Trbojevic, 3 Latrell Mitchell, 4 James Roberts, 5 Josh Addo-Carr, 6 James Maloney, 7 Nathan Cleary, 8 David Klemmer, 9 Damien Cook, 10 Matt Prior, 11 Boyd Cordner (c), 12 Tyson Frizell, 13 Jack De Belin. Interchange: 14 Paul Vaughan, 15 Jake Trbojevic, 16 Angus Crichton, 17 Tyrone Peachey. Reserves: 18 Tariq Sims, 19 Luke Keary, 20 Ryan James.

Queensland Maroons: 1 Billy Slater, 2 Valentine Holmes, 3 Greg Inglis (c), 4 Will Chambers, 5 Dane Gagai, 6 Cameron Munster, 7 Ben Hunt, 8 Dylan Napa, 9 Andrew McCullough, 10 Jarrod Wallace, 11 Gavin Cooper, 12 Felise Kaufusi, 13 Josh McGuire. Interchange: 14 Kalyn Ponga, 15 Josh Papalii, 16 Coen Hess, 17 Jai Arrow. Reserves: Tim Glasby, 19 Christian Welch.

Steve Turner's prediction: The Blues will be full of confidence, following an impressive win in the opening game of the Origin series. James Tedesco and Damien Cook were outstanding and the key for the blues will be to not be complacent and go to another level. They were in the same position as last year and unfortunately couldn't get the job done. Queensland need to improve out of sight. They need more from their forward pack and they need more from their spine to take control of the game. Without Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and Johnathan Thurston, the Maroons need to find the next leaders and this responsibility falls on the shoulders of Ben Hunt and Cameron Munster. There is no greater opportunity for the blues than to take the series on home soil this weekend. TIP: Blues by 8
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

QLD didn't deserve it if we couldn't score against a 12 man Blues for 10mins...
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Inactive User

Bad luck QLD fans
    Jolly good fight put up in both games
    Would really like to go back to just concentrating on the Titans
    I obviously watched purely from a Blues viewpoint being a dirty dog Tweed boy

How do you feel Wallace and Arrow went from a Maroons point of view tonight?

Arrow was good, Wallace was more involved, particularly in defence.

Ben Hunt pretty much cost us that game. He is trash when put under pressure. NSW lose a man, ball goes to Hunt on the 3rd. What does he do? Kicks it dead. Fool.

Wallace did absolutely nothing. If we didn't have a choice he wouldn't have a jersey.

Arrow on the other hand is built for origin. Shame he had limited time.

At least Wallace wil be fresh for us. 4 runs for 40 metres? Say goodbye to the maroon jersey

Arrow will be there for a long time and agree, needs more time.

Inactive User

Wallace only got one stint. 4 runs for 40m and no missed tackles or errors suggests he completed the task that he was given.
    Seems to me that Hunt and Wallace have become the Drongoes/Maroons/Courier Mail Whipping Boys and maybe Titans Fans might want to rally around Jarrod rather than get sucked into their agenda.

I drew my conclusions from watching the game thanks Bods. Compared to the way Napa ripped in, Wallace offered little in comparison at the start of the game. If we had any prop forwards eligible for QLD he wouldn't be there.

Inactive User

It wasn’t about you, it’s about what I’ve seen post game in the wider media and social media and our young man JWall is getting savages and there’s clearly an agenda at play by the Drongoes/CM and we need to get around him.

The other one is Hunt but that’s up to St Merge to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    I drew my conclusions from watching the game thanks Bods. Compared to the way Napa ripped in, Wallace offered little in comparison at the start of the game. If we had any prop forwards eligible for QLD he wouldn't be there.
    It looked like he tried to hide every time we needed a forward to cart the ball up, just like like in Game 1. I did see him dig in a bit more defensively though, but I agree, not Origin standard. Couldn't believe the interview where he said he thought he went well in Game 1 - huh? And Brennan claiming those of us who criticized his performance were just "Supercoach Players". Hahaha, turn it up. You don't have to be a SC player to see how poor his stats were in that game.

Arrow > Wallace in every way possible right now. Big metre eater with an offload, and a tackling machine. He is a guy this club really needs to lock up for the future.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 25-06-18 at 04:48 PM.

Inactive User

JWall did a lot of ball playing too where he’d stop short of the line and then give it to Hunt or Munster to set up
    A backline move, they were top quality touches too.
    QLD were the dominant team during his first and only stint on the field.
    I’ll be getting around him.

Couldn’t agree more.

You can mask it or deflect it anyway you want, but fact is he didn’t aim up despite all the assurances he would.

Don’t ge me wrong, I’m glad he is a Titan but very disappointed in his origin performances .

Inactive User

I’d like to point out one other thing re JWall
    When he was replaced at the 28min mark QLD were leading 10-6.
    QLD then lost the remaining 52mins without him 12-4.
    Sounds like a Drongoe Media led lynch mob to me.

I'm not saying Wallace lost QLD (us) the game. I'm just saying, he made little impact when he was on. I read the article you are referring to and I see why you are upset. That was absolute dribble as usual. All I'm saying is that if QLD had depth and choice in that area he wouldn't be getting a call up based on what he has shown the last two games.

Obviously QLD game plan was to keep it out of the forwards and play the defensive liabilities in addo-carr and Roberts. But compared to Napa, Wallace didn't show much on the field.

I'm not saying Wallace lost QLD (us) the game. I'm just saying, he made little impact when he was on. I read the article you are referring to and I see why you are upset. That was absolute dribble as usual. All I'm saying is that if QLD had depth and choice in that area he wouldn't be getting a call up based on what he has shown the last two games.

Obviously QLD game plan was to keep it out of the forwards and play the defensive liabilities in addo-carr and Roberts. But compared to Napa, Wallace didn't show much on the field.
    I was actually very thankful Napa ripped in as he did.