Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Game 1: NSW vs QLD (2018)

NSW vs QLD
    WEDNESDAY 6TH JUNE
    MCG, Victoria
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Why Greg Inglis must be Queensland’s new captain following Cameron Smith’s rep retirement
    DARREN LOCKYER, The Courier-Mail

FOR so long, we have been in awe of Greg Inglis’ natural talent and his physical stature. But it will be his presence in other ways that will be critical for Queensland as they confront what I believe is their greatest Origin challenge in 15 years.

Paul Vautin’s ‘Neville Nobodies’ of 1995 will always be celebrated for their backs-to-the-wall series win and Kevin Walters’ class of 2018 can learn some valuable lessons from the biggest upset in Origin history.

That series was the embodiment of what it takes to succeed at Origin level. The arena is the ultimate test of mental strength. It forces individuals to look within, which is why Inglis shapes as Queensland’s X-factor this year.

Inglis has been a fixture in the Queensland side since 2006.

Cameron Smith’s decision to retire from representative football on Tuesday was a bombshell few of us, including Queensland powerbrokers, saw coming.

As a selector, I wasn’t aware of Cam’s sentiments until three hours before his press conference.

I received a phone call from Kevie to inform me Smith would not be wearing Maroon this year. Like so many, I just took it as a given that he would be suiting up as Queensland’s skipper and No. 9 this season.

Suddenly, the leadership succession plan Queensland were able to take for granted for so long must be expedited to ensure the record Maroons dynasty does not fall apart.

There are two routes to take. Does Queensland opt for someone who can lead the team for a short term with a view to giving a younger guy, such as Michael Morgan, time to develop into a leader?

Or does Queensland take a punt now on a younger guy who could hold the position for seven or eight years?

The decision on Smith’s captaincy successor will ultimately be formalised by Walters and the Queensland Rugby League, but whether Inglis is appointed skipper or not, he has a vital role to play.

There are some players whose aura permeates, and inspires, their team. As one of just nine players to have played 30 Origin games for Queensland, in turn qualifying for the iconic Statesman’s Club, Inglis is that man for the Maroons.

I was captain of Queensland when Greg came into the team in 2006. From the moment he arrived, his impact was unspoken but powerful. He was a big, raw-boned talent who blew his teammates away with his presence and natural ability.

Shy by nature, Inglis has really grown as a person at South Sydney. I recall Mal Meninga captaining Queensland and Australia from the centres with such authority and there is definitely parallels for me between Greg and Mal.

As for Smith’s legacy, I will always appreciate the calmness and confidence he brought to the pressurised environment of State of Origin.

He gave other players belief because of his awareness and intellect in match situations. As a teammate, you knew if you followed Smith and trusted him on the field, Queensland would invariably win.

Origin comes down to clutch moments and Queensland have lost a lot of experienced guys who knew what to do in those clutch moments. The Maroons will need someone to believe they can get the job done.

That’s where Inglis enters the equation.

Even if he isn’t installed as captain this year, Inglis, like Mal, can be the spiritual leader of a new era for Queensland.

Inglis turned 31 in January and he has undergone the same process of maturity that Justin Hodges embarked on at the Broncos. I saw ‘Hodgo’ cultivate a genuine respect at Brisbane and everyone in the Queensland team admires Greg.

I know when Inglis runs out there in Origin I, his peers will all follow him into battle, displaying the trust they had in Cameron Smith.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Heading down for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Heading down for this one.
    Me toooo....

Hopefully the Blues fans get their hopes up now we have no Cronk, Thursto and Smith. And we still smash them.

Well done to all the fans travelling down. I've never been to an Origin in VIC or even NSW.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Hopefully the Blues fans get their hopes up now we have no Cronk, Thursto and Smith. And we still smash them.

Well done to all the fans travelling down. I've never been to an Origin in VIC or even NSW.
    Me neither. Kids are getting older (late teens) might be my last chance.

Me neither. Kids are getting older (late teens) might be my last chance.
    Considering going to Origin in Brisbane this year. But I always balk at the prices, it's basically a season membership for one game.

But my mate always wanted to go, so I might take him this year. Probably is he is a Blues fan and it might be the end of our friendship.

Considering going to Origin in Brisbane this year. But I always balk at the prices, it's basically a season membership for one game.

But my mate always wanted to go, so I might take him this year. Probably is he is a Blues fan and it might be the end of our friendship.
    It's not much more to go to Melbourne. Plus it's my daughters formal this year so dress shopping etc. Two birds one stone. Also, it's the MCG.

It's not much more to go to Melbourne. Plus it's my daughters formal this year so dress shopping etc. Two birds one stone. Also, it's the MCG.
    Yea I've never been to the MCG either. Just Docklands, old Olympic Park and of course AAMI Park.

Is anybody else in the forum a Blues supporter?

Quote Originally Posted by Dobes View Post
    Is anybody else in the forum a Blues supporter?
    Unfortunately, there is a stack of them.

Unfortunately, there is a stack of them.
    Good to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Dobes View Post
    Good to hear
    Yea it's actually a terrifying amount.

QLD Cup

I am wondering what the mindset of the Qld selectors is. NSW will have a vastly different look this year. Qld has to pick a team to win but I hope they emphasise youth. Unfortunately, with Cam not playing there isn't a ready made young replacement. McCullock seems the most reliable in such a key position, Granville has punch but he doesn't play 80 minutes. Qld wingers will need to be big and fast to contain Ferguson and Addo Carr.
    NSW has always had the talent to win but they didn't have the smarts. There was always someone to shot themselves in the foot eg. Hayne last year, or penalties from Gallen in the past. This year I don't think Qld has the smarts to make up the difference.......we will go in to the series as absolute underdogs.....that's our strength ha ha!

Being reported Ryan James is on plane to Sydney