Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    Being reported Ryan James is on plane to Sydney
    Scrap that now reported he was in 20 man nsw squad but next minute he has been axed got to love the origin circus

I thought it was a bit odd last night when it was mentioned about Ryan's call up for Origin, because he hasn't had the season so far like he has had in the past couple of years.

Anyone else immediately think of the 1990s movie a Night at the Roxbury when they saw the Blues in their black shirt and blue blazers?

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Sorry James missed out but luckily will avoid a pizzling.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Sorry James missed out but luckily will avoid a pizzling.
    I can't understand how James was even in the mix given his form this year. He has not been in the same league as Klemmer or Campbell-Gillard nor the bench players. Not even close.

NRL Stats crunches the numbers on the new-look playmaking spines to see which state has an advantage heading into #Origin I

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Inglis says new-look Maroons can emulate 2006 team
    https://www.nrl.com

Greg Inglis insists his new-look Queensland Maroons can emulate the 2006 side and stay together for years to come as a State of Origin force.

The new Maroons captain was one of seven debutants in 2006 with the likes of Nate Myles, Sam Thaiday, Matt Scott and Dallas Johnson, who became mainstays of the Queensland dynasty.

Cameron Smith and Johnathan Thurston were already on deck and Cooper Cronk came onto the scene a few years later, but the key to the Maroons' success over the past 12 years has been the continuity of the team selections and stability in key positions.

On Wednesday night Jai Arrow, Felise Kaufusi and Andrew McCullough will make their Origin debuts and key men Dylan Napa, Jarrod Wallace, Dane Gagai and Valentine Holmes are all in the formative stages of their Origin careers.

Inglis said this group of Maroons would not be one-hit wonders despite losing 102 games of Origin experience through the retirements of Thurston, Cronk and Smith.

"I see this side here being together for the next five or six years and doing what I did when I made my debut in 2006 and continuing on as a group," Inglis told NRL.com.

"We have lost much experience, but that had to happen some day. I see this side as growing and full of potential.

"We are bringing guys through that have a few games under their belts and we have three debutants, but everyone in this squad here has what it takes to be an Origin player and represent Queensland.

"Since day one they have come in and asked questions and sat down with [coach] Kevvie [Walters] to find about how they need to play.

"Billy [Slater] and I are giving them guidance about what Origin is all about. It is not an NRL game. This is Origin, and Origin is a beast.

"You can be one per cent off in NRL and probably get away with it. If you are one per cent off in Origin you will get found out very quickly."

Inglis said he had no qualms about the capacity of the three new members of the spine to do the job long-term.

"They are all tough and brainy footballers. They are smart people," he said.

"Everyone always questions the seven and six. People questioned the seven and six with JT and Locky early on but look what JT and Locky have done for Queensland.

"With Ben Hunt, when he is on his game he is really on, and Cam Munster showed in game three last year what he's all about when he was pretty much man of the match.

"Andrew McCullough is experienced in the NRL. He's a 200-plus gamer."

Inglis said it had been a privilege for him to watch his side embrace "the Queensland way" while in camp already at Sanctuary Cove.

"We talk about team being first, but we also talk about family, being really good mates and having genuine care for each other away from the footy field," Inglis said.

"The great Cam Smith and JT did that so well. Hopefully that is what this new generation of Maroons can create for the next few years."

Inglis’ words have been embraced by rough and tumble forward Jarrod Wallace who said the new breed was ready to answer their captain's call and prove to NSW they could perform without their legends on deck.

"There's no panic," he said.

"At the end of the day, Smithy, Coops and JT had to start somewhere. They did it for years and were the best. It's a new era now, a new time and I'm stoked I get to be a part of it.

"Last year they said we don't have JT and look what happened. I hope they are sitting back thinking it will be an easy win without Cam Smith and our older players, but I can tell you right now we are up for the challenge. The new boys coming in are ready to rip in and ready to go."

Arrow and McCullough have already impressed Wallace with their approach.

"I have this feeling Jai Arrow is going to come out and kill it. He has been training the house down," Wallace said.

"He has a real aggression but a calm aggression. He is smart. If you need him to, he will chop someone in half, but if you need him to do the hard work, he will do the hard work.

"He is built for this game and we will see what he can do.

"Macca learnt the role off Smithy a bit and watched what Smithy does. He is the perfect fit. It's like he has been here for 10 years. I know he will do a great job and get through his tackles."

Why Titans teammates Wallace and Arrow are made for Origin
    Neil Cadigan http://www.nrl.com

This is a State of Origin story. Yet it's more a story about mateship, about family … and about toughness. The toughness you need to succeed at this level.

It involves Titans duo Jarrod Wallace and Jai Arrow who left the Gold Coast as teenagers to the Broncos, returned home a year apart looking to ignite their careers and within months were chosen to play Queensland.

Next week they do it together for the first time.

Arrow's childhood hero Gorden Tallis, who held that mantle because Arrow liked how tough and aggressive he was, says Arrow has the makings of becoming the Maroons' Trevor Gillmeister or Gary Larson figure. In other words, hard as nails, reliable, low key and consistent.

Wallace's boyhood hero was his dad, Craig, a NSW bush footy legend who played until two years ago when he was 45.

He says his old man is the toughest bloke he knows.

But Arrow is starting to move towards being a close second.

Jarrod recalls playing A-grade at Sawtell near Coffs Harbour, and later on the Gold Coast when they moved there nine years ago. Younger brothers Logan and Cooper did the same before their old man hung up his boots.

Jarrod can rattle off anecdote after anecdote about Craig's toughness but his favourite is the day a Coffs Harbour representative side played a trial against Melbourne Storm. One of the big Storm forwards crashed right through the locals' defence and scored from long range.

From the kick-off, he charged onto the ball to do the same again.

"You could see this bloke winding up to do the same thing and our guys retreat a bit – with the exception of Dad," Wallace said in a Players Voice interview.

"He came flying out of the line and hit the guy that hard it backflipped him.

"The crowd lost it. I was jumping around losing my **** in the grandstand with Mum shouting 'sit down, sit down' the whole time.

"He ran hard, hit hard and played hard all the time. If a tougher player has ever taken the field, I have yet to meet him."

In the Titans' round nine clash with the Raiders, Wallace saw an example of toughness that he'll also talk about for a long while.

Arrow spiraled back after copping an accidental elbow as he tried to stop a ferocious run by Canberra giant Junior Paulo. He was in a terrible state, unable to breathe properly and in a pit of pain.

"His rib cage was moved so badly that it pushed on his spleen and kidney," said Wallace as he prepares for his third Origin game for the Maroons.

"He wanted to stay on there, that shows how tough he is. He literally couldn't walk.

"For a 24-year-old at 100kg to do that; he's built for this game [Origin] and I can't wait to watch him."

Arrow also grew up in NSW for a while too, at Greystanes in Sydney's west until his family moved to the Gold Coast when he was six.

His father Ray was a tough lock or sometimes five-eighth for Greystanes in the Parramatta A-grade competition. When Jai started to play, he was a supportive father but a tough critic, sp**** with his praise because – in a team sport – he didn't want his son thinking he was above the others.

Yet he could not hold back his pride when he learned that Jai had fulfilled his State of Origin dream.

"My old man was pretty emotional on the phone to be honest; I think he was going to break out in tears," Arrow said.

"But he's not one to give me anything; growing up as a kid he was pretty harsh on me and never really compliment me but I can't thank them enough.

"My mum and dad have been a massive influence on me and it's pretty surreal at the moment."

Wallace is close to his parents too. With a bond of trust and mutual resilience between him and Craig.

"I had a chat to him before my debut last year and he asked how I was feeling and as he was telling me to be calm about it. But you could tell in his voice he was nervous and excited, just how I was feeling," Wallace said.

"At times it's like we have this twin connection; when I'm feeling something, he is feeling that too.

"Of course when you go into big games you think of the things he taught me and what I learned from just watching him.

"Origin is made on mentally tough moments, it's not just about who's got all the talent in the world.

"There are guys like GI (Greg Inglis) who are freaks that who are also mentally tough and that's why he's our skipper and deserves to be.

"But at the end of the day Origin is built on mentally tough players. Growing up around footy and playing with dad, he taught me that and hopefully I can take that into my Origin game next week.

"In Origin they hit harder; they run harder. Everything is more physical, bigger and tougher.

"If you go in with a weak mind, you get found out pretty quickly. So I'm going in there as tough as I can to do the job I want to do, and know I can do, for Queensland."

He has no doubt Arrow will carry the same attitude.

And neither does Arrow's hero Tallis.

"He ticks the box when it comes to toughness alright," Gordie said. "He's not the biggest guy on the field but he's just tough and resilient.

"To be honest I think he is Queensland's answer; our next Trevor Gillmeister or Gary Larson.

"Watching him play, watching him stand in front of Junior Paulo and when his rib cage moved … he's that tough, he gets belted and just shakes it off.

"Origin is about going through the pain barrier. I've watched him do that regularly at club level.

"But Origin is about going to a new level where no one knows if they're good enough.

"I have my fingers crossed and am pretty confident he will be."

Really looking forward to watching this game with the HKRL crew in Wan Chai.

Maroons Statement: Billy Slater
    http://www.qrl.com.au

Billy Slater has today confirmed he will not play in the opening match of the Holden State of Origin series at the Melbourne Cricket Ground due to a hamstring injury.

"I didn't pull up as well as I would have liked after our training run on Sunday, and because I'm not 100 per cent, it's in my best interests as well as the team's to withdraw from Wednesday's game," Slater said.

Maroons coach Kevin Walters will consult with selectors and senior players before deciding on the final make-up of the side closer to kick off.

He confirmed Anthony Milford and Kalyn Ponga will join the Maroons squad in Melbourne tonight.

"We knew we had some concerns with Billy, but he's a champion player and we needed to give him every chance to play," Walters said.

"We've had plans in place to cover Billy if he didn't come up right, and we've actioned that today with Anthony and Kalyn coming in."

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Maroons Statement: Billy Slater
    http://www.qrl.com.au

Billy Slater has today confirmed he will not play in the opening match of the Holden State of Origin series at the Melbourne Cricket Ground due to a hamstring injury.

"I didn't pull up as well as I would have liked after our training run on Sunday, and because I'm not 100 per cent, it's in my best interests as well as the team's to withdraw from Wednesday's game," Slater said.

Maroons coach Kevin Walters will consult with selectors and senior players before deciding on the final make-up of the side closer to kick off.

He confirmed Anthony Milford and Kalyn Ponga will join the Maroons squad in Melbourne tonight.

"We knew we had some concerns with Billy, but he's a champion player and we needed to give him every chance to play," Walters said.

"We've had plans in place to cover Billy if he didn't come up right, and we've actioned that today with Anthony and Kalyn coming in."
    No doubt now Qld are the underdogs. They have some very capable and willing players but they seem to be "headless" unlike NSW who have two great halves that can control a game, and kick goals.

Any squad that has Milford anywhere near it is in real trouble ... I would take the unholy traitor before that vermin. This team will be akin to when Ikin managed to brown-nose his way in.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Great result, somehow expecting a Queensland win though in the second. Knowing our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Any squad that has Milford anywhere near it is in real trouble ... I would take the unholy traitor before that vermin. This team will be akin to when Ikin managed to brown-nose his way in.
    Who is the unholy traito?, DCE?

DCE should def be Munsters partner, those 2 would get the team singing.

Ponga should also be in there, chuck him straight onto the bench. Morgan was good but...
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Who is the unholy traito?, DCE?

DCE should def be Munsters partner, those 2 would get the team singing.

Ponga should also be in there, chuck him straight onto the bench. Morgan was good but...
    It was an unsurprising result. Qld put in a massive effort as NSW looked on the edge of busting it open with half breaks. In the end it was a comprehensive loss. Qld rarely looked like getting a line break. Full marks to Inglis he played a great captains knock. DCE, Ponga, Slater back, could give them some penetration.