Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Titans break drought with late win over Knights

The Gold Coast Titans kept their cool in crunch time to claim a pulsating 33-26 victory over the Newcastle Knights on Saturday at Cbus Super Stadium.

In one of the most topsy-turvy games of the season, the Titans came from behind twice in the second half to notch their fourth win of the 2018 Telstra Premiership.

Scores were locked at 26-26 when Titans five-eighth AJ Brimson dived over in the corner for a match-winning try with just under five minutes remaining.

Ash Taylor, who assumed the goal-kicking duties from an ailing Michael Gordon in the second half, steered the sideline conversion over before sealing the win with a 78th-minute field goal.

The Knights will be kicking themselves after leading by eight with 20 minutes to play. Newcastle have lost three in a row and slipped to 5-6 for the season.

The Titans opened their account first with winger Phil Sami scoring the first of two tries. Gordon's sideline conversion gave the home side a 6-0 lead after nine minutes.

A Gordon penalty goal stretched the lead to 8-0 after 23 minutes before the Knights got on the board with Sione Matautia's try. Brock Lamb's conversion trimmed the gap to two and he locked it up at 8-8 with a penalty goal three minutes later.

Gold Coast went to the half-time break on a positive note, with centre Dale Copley scoring out wide for a 12-8 lead. Gordon was off target with the conversion attempt.

The Titans hit a hurdle in the first two minutes of the second half Moeaki Fotuaika sin-binned for a professional foul. Newcastle took advantage of the extra man in attack with prop Herman Ese'ese charging over for a try. Lamb made no mistake with the kick and the visitors had their first lead.

But it didn't last long, as Sami scored his second try. Taylor took over the goal-kicking duties and duly converted for an 18-14 lead with 33 minutes remaining.

Winger Ken Sio put the Knights back in front with a try in the corner, with Lamb drilling the sideline conversion over the black dot.

Kalyn Ponga then put his stamp on the game with a breathtaking 90-metre try, which Lamb converted for a 26-18 lead.

The Titans hit back again with winger Anthony Don's converted try, cutting the deficit to two with 16 minutes to play. Taylor then locked it up at 26-26 with a 68th-minute penalty goal, setting the stage for a thrilling climax.

Taylor missed a chance to put his side ahead when he sliced a relatively easy penalty goal, but the Titans made the most of their next opportunity, with Brimson crossing out wide.

https://www.nrl.com/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    It's all tongue in cheek.
    Oh, I see.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    im here to put u in line
    Mission failed.

- - - Updated - - -

Jai arrow, dam boi.....remember back in the day when i told u fellas about a this dude doing ok in Qcup.
    I have been laughing at all the broncos fans up here all year. I saw him play 1 game for the broncs and he was impressive. I can't believe Wayne let him go, You could almost field a team with the talent the broncs have let go over the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    Oh, I see.

- - - Updated - - -

Mission failed.
    u've just popped up on my radar so we will see
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    By setup you mean contract negotiations in parking lots featuring plenty of brown paper bags don't you?
    LOL! Winner!!!

- - - Updated - - -

u've just popped up on my radar so we will see
    Easy, turbo! LOL!! Is manly your preferred team to follow? What is your moniker on silvertails.net?
    Last edited by Menoitios; 19-05-18 at 05:47 PM.

I'm still pumped. Definitely a team that is building to finals footy in the next couple of years.

QLD Cup

Wow! A lot of positives from this game. Forward pack was awesome and definitely had the better of a pretty good Knights pack. Outside backs had their best game of the year (and this is coming from a firm believer that "is don is not good"). And Cartwright also looked like the player who we thought we were signing.

But.. Without trying to bring down the mood.. Rein doesn't suit our style of play at all and we would be much better with Peats for 80min. We have Ash who wants to be a dominant half and who when is on fire like tonight can win us games. Reins delivery at times is terrible and his defence is weak, we would be best to let him go I feel. AJ looks amazing but can anyone honestly say that they think he is a long term 6? At times he looked like a mirrored image of Ponga running around out there! He's pure excitement. I'm happy with him there for now but I'd love to see him at the back before the seasons done. I'm also not completely sold on Benko either. His hand off was great but his defence for most of the match was pretty bad and his hands weren't much better than Koni's.

All and all it was great to get a win!

On another note can someone on here with a bit of say please write to Classic telling them just how awful those jerseys look. I'd rather we played out the season in our heritage strip

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    Oh, I see.

- - - Updated - - -

Mission failed.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been laughing at all the broncos fans up here all year. I saw him play 1 game for the broncs and he was impressive. I can't believe Wayne let him go, You could almost field a team with the talent the broncs have let go over the last few years.
    yeah but he was literally last in their pecking order. Noway no how u would think about letting TPJ or whatnot go.

They have to let some of the players they steal go
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    I'm still pumped. Definitely a team that is building to finals footy in the next couple of years.
    Agree 100%!!!

- - - Updated - - -

yeah but he was literally last in their pecking order. Noway no how u would think about letting TPJ or whatnot go.

They have to let some of the players they steal go
    If Wayne couldn't see a spot for Arrow in his side this year (even a bench spot), he has lost his touch!

Inactive User

So friggin stoked
    I have nothing insightful to say
    Other than enjoy the win in the Beautiful City Brothers and Sisters
    Woo Hoo!!

Just got home from the game - voice **** but happy as a pig in poo.

Best freaking result .

AJ and Ash - look out people , these guys are going to be huge.

So bloody happy

#thrunthru

Still needed the heart meds, but a great win!! The gravedigger was awesome today. Fast becoming my favourite. Love the mongrel in him. And I agree with everyone here, we need to clone arrow.

- - - Updated - - -

And AJ is quality. Writing is on the wall for Elgey.

Inactive User

All those in love with AJ
    He’s going to be a superstar FB not 5/8.
    Those who have watched him closely at under 20 and QCup level in both positions I’m sure will agree.

I’m probably the only one on the Coast that thinks this but I’m still holding out for the dream of
    Brimson FB
    LG 5/8
    Taylor 1/2

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    All those in love with AJ
    He’s going to be a superstar FB not 5/8.
    Those who have watched him closely at under 20 and QCup level in both positions I’m sure will agree.

I’m probably the only one on the Coast that thinks this but I’m still holding out for the dream of
    Brimson FB
    LG 5/8
    Taylor 1/2

Your not the only one, I still love elgey and hope he can get back to his 2015 form. I just worry that ash and Kane are like Brooks and Moses and can't combine together. Brimson has been playing like a ball playing fullback anyway at 6, similar to ponga and Moylan and Coote at their best

Just don't know how Elgey finds his way back into the side this year to prove his worth. AJ isn't losing that 5/8 jersey this year unless him or Gordon go down injured.

I was actually at the game so take it easy if I'm wrong, but I thought Cartwright actually did alright today. Had a fair crack at it for what I could see.