Default Get rid of Golden Pont

I have never been a fan of golden point. OK to have it in finals footy but not in the regular season. There are 7 teams sitting on 10 points. I am aware it is early in the year and things will change but this season moreso (grammarly incorrect Titanic, I know) then ever, games are tighter than previous years (for most clubs)

This is how the table stands now.

played points wins

Dragons 9 16 8
    Warriors 9 14 7
    Panthers 9 12 6
    Storm 9 10 5
    Rabbitohs 9 10 5
    Roosters 9 10 5
    Wests Tigers 9 10 5
    Sharks 9 10 5
    Broncos 9 10 5
    Knights 9 10 5

This is the table without golden point.

played points wins drawn

Dragons 9 16 8
    Warriors 9 14 7
    Panthers 9 12 6
    Wests Tigers 9 11 5 1
    Storm 9 10 5
    Rabbitohs 9 10 5
    Roosters 9 10 5
    Sharks 9 10 5
    Broncos 9 9 4 1
    Knights 9 9 4 1

This puts Wests at outright 4th and Broncos* outside the 8. (My job is done.) My point being is that I expect several teams to finish equal 8th come season end. Take away golden point and you lower the chances.

*Broncos for/against is -32 at the moment. That may improve going further into the season (hopefully not with the way their 6 & 7 are going) but take away that golden point win and put them back to 9 points and things are a little tougher for them.

There are others reasons as well. Such as a cracker of a game where both teams deserve something from it but one team goes on to win in extra time. Then one of the teams (moreso the losing team) have a 5 day turnaround and haven't mentally or physically recovered.

I am writing this in a hurry coz I gotta go to work but if any one agrees than comment. If anyone disagrees then don't comment as I am never wrong.

P.S. I also want to get rid of the second ref.

Edit: Well the above table is a shambles, but I gotta go so no time to clean it up.

Agree on both points, shamus. Even go as far bringing back scrums and shoulder chargers (below head/neck region) Nothing wrong with a good one if it's done right. Plus the game isn't what it used to be, too much intervention from the refs stops the game from flowing.

But yes, start with the couple of things you mentioned first though.

Inactive User

Yeah Shamus....I’m with you, for normal regular season games just share the points. A draw is part of Sports and it does impact on the ladder.
    For a team to play over 80mins and walk away with nothing is wrong.

For anyone interested (probably only me) but had there been no golden point for 2018 I have Sharks as Minor premiers and a home final against Souths (instead of away to Roosters), Storm (3rd) with an away game (instead of home) against Roosters (2nd) Penrith drop to 7th but still play Warriors but it is a home game for Warriors and Broncos finish 8th. Still play Dragons but an away game for Broncos. Not that it matters much with Dragons form but a home game helps.

Oh...Titans finish 12th with a better for/against than Newcastle....Yep, I had nothing better to do.