Default Cairns/PNG NRL bid

Cairns/PNG NRL bid gains momentum after meeting with Peter Beattie and Todd Greenberg
    http://www.couriermail.com.au

THE man leading an ambitious push for a combined Cairns and Papua New Guinea bid to enter the NRL has left his first meeting with the game’s powerbrokers feeling optimistic.

Cairns Regional Mayor Bob Manning flew to Sydney to meet with the NRL’s chief executive Todd Greenberg and chairman Peter Beattie on Wednesday as he forges ahead with the hopes of securing an NRL licence.

With Beattie pushing the expansion line since replacing John Grant — declaring it needs to “expand or die” — Manning is confident that an extra Queensland team could form part of a revamped NRL.

The success of the PNG Hunters has helped the bid for an NRL team.

Manning left the meeting with high hopes that his dream could become a reality.

“It was a very constructive meeting,” Manning said. “We will talk again but we need to keep the discussions with ourselves at this stage.

“There is no time line as best as I can assess.

“Our plan is to continue to talk with the NRL and to continue talk with our partner which is the PNG Rugby League.

A meeting with Todd Greenberg and Peter Beattie is said to have bin optimistic for the bid.

“We had our first meeting and we left that feeling pretty good.”

The bid is still in its infancy but they would split home games between Cairns and Port Moresby — which is a 90-minute flight.

There is a craving for a top-flight side in the PNG following the success of World Cup matches played there. The PNG Hunters feature in the Queensland Cup.

PNG and Cairns have joined forces in their NRL bid.

“We haven’t got anywhere close to (finalising) details,” Manning said. “We need to speak more with the NRL to get a clear idea of what their picture is. We left our first meeting with them feeling the discussions had been constructive and respectful.”

The trio have pledged to meet again within the coming months.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I can't really see this as a go. Splitting a supporter base is never a good formula.

I believe the Cowboys should be doing more and playing games in Cairns. The fact that they don't actually blows my southern Queensland mind.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

It's just another angle Badel & Co will get mileage out of and offer us up as the sacrificial club to make it happen for the Cairns/PNG bid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I can't really see this as a go. Splitting a supporter base is never a good formula.

I believe the Cowboys should be doing more and playing games in Cairns. The fact that they don't actually blows my southern Queensland mind.
    There's always been a bit of rivalry between the two Cities. Fairly similar to what's been going on between Brisvegas and the Coast for years.

This is a total red herring ... Perth and anywhere else before these guys ... DH is correct that the Cows don't do enough for Cairns but whatever they do will never be enough. As far as PNG is concerned, they probably could host a points fixture once a year but as logical as it may sound to some, their case is not as compelling as others.

The PNG case should be the vanguard of South Pacific Rugby League internationals and not the NRL.

Peter Beattie is a tool of the first degree.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    The PNG case should be the vanguard of South Pacific Rugby League internationals and not the NRL.
    Agree.

Cowboys are the North QLD side not Townsville. But when I hear about Cairns it's because of Souths or the Gold Coast Suns. QCUP excluded of course.

I take your point Toad on the inter city rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post

Agreed. PNG is a lawless rabble and you could never have confidence in any long term arrangement up there. Besides it's too bloody hot. I think a game for competition points occasionally should be played there due to their passion for the game.
    The Cows should play more games in Cairns but up until they got the go ahead for the new stadium in Townsville it may not have been a good strategy to play less games in Townsville. From what I have seen from the games played in Cairns the ground they play at doesn't look ideal for spectators.

Good idea about playing relocated NRL matches. I think we just graduated to NRL trials through the Broncos this year. Whoever does it should forge lasting bonds with PNG.