Brimson 5/8
    4 forwards on the bench
    James back to prop

So many talking points
    You missed missed Peats into reserves

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    You missed missed Peats into reserves
    I only take note of 1-17. 18-21 is meaningless.

Titans: 1 Michael Gordon, 2 Anthony Don, 3 Dale Copley, 4 Brenko Lee, 5 Phillip Sami, 6 AJ Brimson, 7 Ashley Taylor, 8 Max King, 9 Mitch Rein, 10 Ryan James (c), 11 Kevin Proctor, 12 Will Matthews, 13 Jarrod Wallace

Interchange: 14 Bryce Cartwright, 15 Keegan Hipgrave, 16 Jack Stockwell, 17 Moeaki Fotuaika

Reserves: 18 Leilani Latu, 19 Konrad Hurrell, 20 Nathan Peats, 21 Kane Elgey

Coach Garth Brennan has wielded the axe. Bryce Cartwright has been dropped to the bench with AJ Brimson to debut at five-eighth. Centres Konrad Hurrell and Brendan Elliott are both out, replaced by Dale Copley (hamstring) and Brenko Lee. Jai Arrow (ribs) misses out. Jarrod Wallace moves to lock, Ryan James moves to prop and Will Matthews (concussion) returns in the back row. Ryan Simpkins (neck) drops off the bench. Nathan Peats (ribs) is a chance of returning after being named on the extended bench.

So Brennan has taken the axe to Hurrell, about time, and Cartwright is back to the bench. That is a good start.
    Last edited by ozynorts; 08-05-18 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    I'm hoping it gives him the time to recover actually. Maybe wishful thinking but here's hoping.

I tell ya what Brennan isn't going to die wondering he is having a fair dinkum crack!

Inactive User

Does anyone know which QCup team Hurrell is aligned to?

Ah how good is it to have a coach that takes action, knows he stuffed up with Cartwright and he obviously didn't ignore Hurrell's poor form. Keen to see Brimson and Lee debut this weekend, put in fellas.

I’m pretty happy with this lineup. Having a crack at changing things up. Dropping a fan favourite like Hurrell is a big call, but his form warranted it. Can’t wait to see Brimson have a crack.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Agreed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    Ah how good is it to have a coach that takes action, knows he stuffed up with Cartwright and he obviously didn't ignore Hurrell's poor form. Keen to see Brimson and Lee debut this weekend, put in fellas.
    It’s bloody brilliant

Like I said, we won't die wondering with Brennan at the helm. Huge changes. Bit perplexed by elliot being dropped but I'm guessing he went with speed to cover the Melbourne backline.

Will Matthews is back but he's going to have to be careful with the amount of concussions he's had this year. Reminds me of Greenwood in his first year (concussions not ability).

Hopefully the dropped players find form in the lower grades and not injuries.

Think Lee will add a lot of spark to that right side, he was great attacking wise with the Bulldogs and at one stage I think he was almost leading try assists for centres. Don't know how he will go in defence but fingers crossed he aims up. We will miss Arrow but hopefully the already hard working forwards can step it up another notch. Melbourne will be testing us through the middle, like last year, with inside balls to Slater and Addo-Carr slicing through the middle. And this is a massive ask for Brimson to debut against the Storm, there isn't a more difficult team to face in your first ever top grade game. But I reckon he will handle it, looking forward to seeing his speed and agility against tiring forwards and out on the edge. Hope he kills it.

I think our attack will definitely be improved this game and we certainly have more strike there, however I am still very concerned about our defence especially against Melbourne. Just want to see some improvement and some bloody heart shown by the WHOLE TEAM and not just guys like King, Gordon, Hipgrave and Wallace. Hoping this game isn't a bloodbath.

Garth has made some really welcoming changes to the team. Really happy with it. Only thing i'd probably do now is keep a bit of an eye on Sami because he seems to have been missing a bit since the Broncos game imo. I think if he underperforms this week, put Brendan Elliot on that wing next week.

Also, assuming Peats is cleared to return this week (which I doubt), who makes way for him? I think you've got to drop Cartwright. Those other players are in really good form at the moment and always put in 110% every time they step out.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Dobes View Post
    Garth has made some really welcoming changes to the team. Really happy with it. Only thing i'd probably do now is keep a bit of an eye on Sami because he seems to have been missing a bit since the Broncos game imo. I think if he underperforms this week, put Brendan Elliot on that wing next week.

Also, assuming Peats is cleared to return this week (which I doubt), who makes way for him? I think you've got to drop Cartwright. Those other players are in really good form at the moment and always put in 110% every time they step out.
    If Peats comes in then Cartwright plays QCup at Lock and attempts to implement the game Brennan wants from him in that position.
    Thing is only Tweed Heads has a game this week not Burleigh and I don’t know who Cartwright and Hurrell are aligned with.

I think King is better suited to lock then Wallace
    Well I hope the million dollar baby get off his backside and start to show us what we are paying for
    I havent seen anyone say much about his efforts I havent seen him own the team yet
    But like all here Hurrell does need to get his x factor back so being dropped might just do it
    I hope Lee does a good job then maybe put Don on notice as well
    Feel a little bit sorry for Elliot as he did have to defend outside Cartwright but should of took his chance
    Sami still the best winger on our side but need to step it up again
    feel a little sorry for Brimson to have his first game against the Storm I would of had Elgey starting and bring him on for 10 or 15 min before half time and see how he handled it
    Moeaki Fotuaika I would put in Mathews spot for the first 20min then bring in Mathews Moeaki seems to have a bit of pace and can bust the line could cause some trouble out a little wider
    But thats just me go TITANS give us some pride back

My only complaint is Cartwright still on the bench. Shouldn't be anywhere near first grade imo, if anything I'd rather Hurrell come off the bench and add some attacking spark.

Brennan drops Hurrell, Cartwright, hands Brimson a debut
    Author Neil Cadigan Timestamp Tue 8 May 2018, 04:01 PM

Four successive losses have prompted Garth Brennan to make his first team shake-up in his young Telstra Premiership coaching career, dropping his "favourite player" Konrad Hurrell and blooding 19-year-old five-eighth Alexander Brimson.

It is a big call for Brennan to throw Brimson into Saturday's double-header clash with Melbourne at Suncorp Stadium where he will oppose Storm star Cameron Munster. He becomes Ash Taylor's third halves partner this season behind Kane Elgey and Bryce Cartwright.

Brimson joins another teenager, 18-year-old prop Moeaki Fotuaika, who made a surprise debut in the front row off the bench against Canberra's monster pack last Saturday, in the top 17.

When asked whether pitching Brimson, who has been playing fullback for feeder team Tweed Heads Seagulls, into the cauldron of a double-header in Brisbane against a ruthless Storm side desperate to strike back after a 20-point loss to the Dragons, Brennan confessed: "In the NRL there is no easy week."

The reality is he had to act to end his team's slide. Cartwright, who has been named on the interchange bench against the Storm, has been hesitant in defence and lacking commitment to take the line on with the ball.

Brennan, who has been defending Cartwright's form and effort, admitted he had to lift his game when asked to respond to criticism from Fox Sports commentator Michael Ennis, who claimed Cartwright's defence was sub-standard and he was not taking on the line enough.

"I don't think it is unfair [Ennis' criticism]," said Brennan. "Mick is a great judge of a game and players and I don't think he is too far wrong.

"Bryce needs to step up, but I haven't helped him by playing him out of position. He did that [played five-eighth] for the team more so than his own personal goals and aspirations."

Hurrell again made crucial errors against the Raiders and with Dale Copley returning from injury and Brenko Lee match-fit after returning from a knee injury suffered in the trials, the hard call had to be made.

NSW hooker Nathan Peats has been chosen in the 21-man squad and will play if he can prove he is ready to return from a rib injury. Queensland Origin hopeful Jai Arrow has been rested because of a rib injury.

Brimson has been preferred to Elgey who played strongly when sent back to Tweed in the Intrust Super Cup but has had only one match with the Seagulls having a bye last weekend.

"It's a case that he gives me what I'm looking for," Brennan said of teenager Brimson. "He's a strong defender, quite solid in his build. And he's a runner, there's no doubt about that.

"It's not ideal. It's our third halves combination this year. I knew this year was a bit of trial to see what the best way for us was going forward.

"It's exciting. He's one of our local juniors and I've held him back but I thought it was time for him to go in there and see what he can do. He's excited and when I asked him if he thought he was ready he virtually said 'what took you so long'."

Brennan made the call to give the in-form Arrow a break after the middle forward left the field distress in Canberra and was taken to hospital for tests.

Lee has had three matches for Burleigh Bears since recovering from his knee injury. He becomes the 11th player to debut for the Titans in the first nine rounds behind Arrow, Cartwright, Brimson, Fotuaika, Michael Gordon, Mitch Rein, Will Matthews, Leilani Latu, Jack Stockwell and Brendan Elliot.
    ————————————————————————————————

Some interesting comments in there.
    I'm thinking Peats will play which would be a huge advantage to Brimson on debut.