Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Agree, nothing to lose and he has shown his worth in QCUP playing against men. Get him in there and give him a shot, he can't be any worse than Carty at the moment. This is the last option Garth has so fingers crossed AJ kills it. I'll back him to have a good one.

- - - Updated - - -

Also while he is likely being groomed as a FB long term (and he probably plays better footy there), a stint at 5/8 won't hurt. He's played there before and it will give him NRL experience ahead of next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    Agree, nothing to lose and he has shown his worth in QCUP playing against men. Get him in there and give him a shot, he can't be any worse than Carty at the moment. This is the last option Garth has so fingers crossed AJ kills it. I'll back him to have a good one.

- - - Updated - - -

Also while he is likely being groomed as a FB long term (and he probably plays better footy there), a stint at 5/8 won't hurt. He's played there before and it will give him NRL experience ahead of next year.
    Yep let’s get him in at 5/8 to start and look at fullback down the track in need.

I know I’ll be the lone wolf on this but I think Brennan should stick with Cartwright to start at 6 and have Brinsom coming off the bench. I know no one what’s to hear it but I think that’s would work best for all involved. Starting the other way around could be a disaster waiting to happen if things don’t go according to plan and if Brinsom finds himself in a storm there is no scope to counteract. At least if Cartwright can’t get himself of the canvass enter Brinsom

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    I know I’ll be the lone wolf on this but I think Brennan should stick with Cartwright to start at 6 and have Brinsom coming off the bench. I know no one what’s to hear it but I think that’s would work best for all involved. Starting the other way around could be a disaster waiting to happen if things don’t go according to plan and if Brinsom finds himself in a storm there is no scope to counteract. At least if Cartwright can’t get himself of the canvass enter Brinsom
    I see what you're saying mate but if we do that I think we'd be better off bringing Elgey back to start and have Brimson on the bench. Keep Bryce on the bench too but as a back rower. Perhaps once Rein gets tired at hooker, move Elgey over there and bring Brimson on? I'm not sure if Elgeys played much dummy half though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobes View Post
    I see what you're saying mate but if we do that I think we'd be better off bringing Elgey back to start and have Brimson on the bench. Keep Bryce on the bench too but as a back rower. Perhaps once Rein gets tired at hooker, move Elgey over there and bring Brimson on? I'm not sure if Elgeys played much dummy half though.
    Fair call though ....

1. Michael Gordon
    2. Anthony Don
    3. Dale Copley (if fit) or Brendan Elliot
    4. Brendan Elliot or Brenko Lee
    5. Phillip Sami
    6. Kane Elgey
    7. Ash Taylor
    8. Jarrod Wallace
    9. Mitch Rein
    10. Ryan James
    11. Will Matthews
    12. Keegan Hipgrave
    13. Jai Arrow

14. Alex Brimson
    15. Bryce Cartwright
    16. Jack Stockwell
    17. Moeaki Fotuaika

Proctor really hasn't impressed me much over the past few weeks and I think it's about time we give Hipgrave a starting spot because he's been ripping in. I know I may sound like a broken record here but Hurrell needs to be dropped. No two ways about it. I know Garth tries to justify it a bit by saying 'well he wears his heart on his sleeve' and 'he's his own harshest critic', but that's not really relevant and if that's the case, then he should know better than everyone that he should drop down to QCUP to fix his game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rj62 View Post
    Fair call though ....
    Cheers mate. I honestly reckon that's the most logical way to go about it, especially against the Storm. We need to try and make it as easy for Brimson as we can.
    Last edited by Dobes; 08-05-18 at 02:37 PM.

Yeah I find it funny that people are wary of throwing AJ in but on the other hand are baying for Ponga to go to origin after a handful of games. They are both young and full of confidence and as it is with Ponga give him a shot and see where it takes him and us.

Totally agree re Hipgrave, I’d like 3 of him to be honest. He really has some fire in him - a welcome sight.

I'd personally be resting Arrow this week. No use flogging the bloke. Give him a week. Let another fringe player make their case for being chosen.

Anyone think Hurrell will honestly be dropped? I mean, I hope he regains his form but not at the expense of the Titans. As someone pointed out in the Canberra thread, teammates are hesitant to pass to him now.

Cartwright needs to be playing off the bench and on the right edge, not the left ... that's where I feel he did his best work at Penrith. Taylor needs to be told that Proctor gets one flat short ball each half and no more. Elgey should reclaim his spot. Hurrell needs to get a haircut and have a run in QCup. Brimson on the bench with Copley, Elliott and/or Lee filling out the backline. Sami can feel lucky for one more week.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

QLD Cup

He does favour that right hand flick Titanic which you would think would better suit the right edge.

I'd personally like to see Brimson come off the bench in the second half because I don't think this week will be pretty. Also if Elgey is going alright (assuming he's playing - which is a big assumption with Garth's stupidity he's shown so far), then he could have a run at fullback for 20 min and Gordon could shift to a wing which would ease him into first grade a lot better than throwing him in the deep end at 6. By all reports he's much more suited to fullback anyway (which includes his current coach).

On a different note, can anyone on here tell me what exactly Don does to warrant his selection every week? Every carry he does he goes sideways and never looks like breaking the line at all. Yes, Sami is very similar in that regard but at least he keeps pumping his legs and gets a couple of extra metres. He also goes looking for a lot more work but seems to cop all the criticism aimed at our outside backs

Inactive User

I wonder if we might see
    Brimson FB
    Gordon wing
    LG 5/8
    CartWrong middle forward reserve

I’d like to have a crack at naming a 17 but it’s hard to figure who’s available there are question marks over Arrow, Wallace, Simpkins, Hipgrave, Boyle, Peats, Copley to name a few.
    Last edited by Mr Bods; 08-05-18 at 02:54 PM.

Getting close now. I can’t wait to see what Brennan does. Hopefully carty to the bench, and lee in the centers.

Junior

Melbourne Storm v Gold Coast Titans, Saturday 5.30pm at Suncorp Stadium

Titans: 1 Michael Gordon, 2 Anthony Don, 3 Dale Copley, 4 Brenko Lee, 5 Phillip Sami, 6 AJ Brimson, 7 Ashley Taylor, 8 Max King, 9 Mitch Rein, 10 Ryan James (c), 11 Kevin Proctor, 12 Will Matthews, 13 Jarrod Wallace

Interchange: 14 Bryce Cartwright, 15 Keegan Hipgrave, 16 Jack Stockwell, 17 Moeaki Fotuaika

Reserves: 18 Leilani Latu, 19 Konrad Hurrell, 20 Nathan Peats, 21 Kane Elgey

Coach Garth Brennan has lost patience with last week's underperforming team and rung a host of changes. Bryce Cartwright has been dropped from five-eighth to the bench with AJ Brimson coming in for a debut. Centres Konrad Hurrell and Brendan Elliott are both out, replaced by Dale Copley (coming back from a hamstring injury) and Brenko Lee. Jai Arrow (ribs) is out with Jarrod Wallace moving to lock, Ryan James shifting back to the front row and Will Matthews (concussion) returning in the second row. Ryan Simpkins (neck) drops off the bench. Nathan Peats (ribs) features in the reserves list as he edges towards a return.

Storm: 1 Billy Slater, 2 Suliasi Vunivalu, 3 Will Chambers, 4 Curtis Scott, 5 Josh Addo-Carr, 6 Cameron Munster, 7 Ryley Jacks, 8 Christian Welch, 9 Cameron Smith (c), 10 Nelson Asofa-Solomona, 11 Felise Kaufusi, 12 Ryan Hoffman, 13 Dale Finucane

Interchange: 14 Brandon Smith, 15 Kenny Bromwich, 16 Joe Stimson, 17 Sam Kasiano

Reserves: 18 Brodie Croft, 19 Tui Kamikamica, 20 Patrick Kaufusi, 21 Justin Olam

Centre Curtis Scott (ankle) has been named to return in place of last week's debutant Justin Olam. Dale Finucane starts at lock with Kenny Bromwich reverting to the bench.

Inactive User

Hurrell dropped!
    Elliot dropped
    Arrow rested
    Copley Back
    Brimson 5/8
    4 forwards on the bench
    James back to prop

So many talking points

Brimson and Lee in

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post