Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I'm with you Meno. I'd add Sami and Don on to the others already named and shamed. It's permeating throughout the whole team and when players like Cartwright and Hurrell continually get away with it then the others just follow along. Hopefully this week they can re-ignite ... lol ... they couldn't spark with 10,000 volts through them at the moment ... but one can always hope. In fact I'm looking forward to this game very much.
    You know what? I'm actually really looking forward to this game as well! It's got that backs to the wall, all or nothing feel to it.

I hope we smash those purple maggots this week!! I'd like to see Fotuaika hit Asofa-Solomona that hard that it jolts a turd as long as a hoe handle out of him!! I'd also like to see AJ run rings around Munster.

Gordon to score a double this week!!

Cartwright to Ennis: Lay off my nephewMAY 07, 2018

FORMER Gold Coast Titans coach and Kangaroos forward John Cartwright has fired back at critics of his nephew, Gold Coast star Bryce — and Michael Ennis is the prime target.

Bryce moved from Penrith to the Gold Coast on a big-money deal earlier this year but the utility has struggled to make any impact, prompting retired Sharks premiership-winner Ennis to claim on Fox Sports this week that he was “taking the piss” out of the Titans.

But John has had enough of the critics.

JOHNS ON PONGA: Witness the berth of a superstar

CRUCIAL: Mansour makes a mountain of sense

John Cartwright has defended criticism of his nephew Bryce. Picture: Brett Costello

“You fight one of us, you fight the lot of us,” said Cartwright, whose brother David is Bryce’s father.

“All these blokes having a dig at Bryce when he’s down – he’s getting kicked left, right and centre. I thought what Ennis said was quite personal.

“Leave the personal **** aside.

“For someone to sit there behind a microphone and say that he’s taking the piss and not trying, basically saying he’s not having a go, I certainly take issue with that.

WATCH ENNIS’ SPRAY BELOW

“He (Ennis) said he’s taking the piss out of the club by accepting money. That’s what he said.”

Cartwright said Ennis should contact Bryce and offer constructive criticism rather than condemn him from a television studio.

“I’ve got a lot of respect for Michael Ennis – he was one of the best competitors I’ve ever seen play the game. But I’m sure there were periods of his career where he felt a bit down and maybe not performing his best,” Cartwright said.

Ennis unloaded on Cartwright. Picture: Brett Costello

“I think he carries enough respect to get Bryce’s number and give him a call and tell him where he thinks Bryce can be better. Ennis would get a lot more accolades from everyone in the game if that’s how he approached it.

“Bryce certainly doesn’t deserve blokes taking personal potshots at him. He is a good kid trying his best and trying to give his best for the Gold Coast, that’s a fact.”

Ennis went hard on Bryce this week when questioned about the form of Gold Coast’s major off-season purchase.

Cartwright has come under fire for his on field performances for the Titans.

“Phil Gould doesn’t let really good players go,” Ennis said. “Now he let him go over the summer for compassionate reasons and (Titans coach) Garth Brennan took Bryce Cartwright on the sheer fact that he delivered for him and he’d had a good relationship with him in the NSW Cup.

“Bryce is letting his coach down. There’s no two ways about it. He’s given him a lifeline and he’s taking the piss up there, Bryce. No two ways about it.

“He needs to show that he wants to be an NRL player, he’s nowhere near NRL standard. Well Bryce Cartwright’s defence is atrocious. I can’t say it in any other manner.”

John agreed Bryce’s form had been modest this season.

“I know he’s not playing well, so does the bloke in the street. But none of these blokes (critics) go down to training and watch him train. He is down on confidence but they don’t know the effort that he’s putting in,” John said.

“He is a 23-year-old kid – he has best years in front of him. He is going to get back to where he was and he has to take the good with the bad. I agree 100 percent about his form – Bryce’s form is down, like the rest of the team.

“But Bryce didn’t have much of an off-season at Penrith, training-wise. He went to the Titans just a week before their first game. In no way am I saying that’s playing out of his skin or anywhere near his best, and I’m sure he’d be the first bloke to admit that.”

Gold Coast halfback Ash Taylor also threw his support behind Cartwright.

Asked about Cartwright’s criticism, Taylor told Fox Sports’ NRL Tonight: “It doesn’t bother him at all. He just wants to get on with the job.

“He probably knows himself that it’s not been up to standard and Bryce is his harshest critic. I am sure he has been working hard at training this week and will continue to work hard to make sure his form is where it needs to be.”

LIVE stream every game of every round of the 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership on FOX SPORTS. Get your free two-week Foxtel Now trial and start watching in minutes. SIGN UP NOW >

Originally published as

" style="color: rgb(68, 68, 67); font-family: "Adobe Garamond Pro", Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", "Droid Sans", "Helvetica Neue", "PingFang SC", "Hiragino Sans GB", "Droid Sans Fallback", "Microsoft YaHei", sans-serif, sans-serif; font-size: 22px; font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: common-ligatures; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color: initial;">

FORMER Gold Coast Titans coach and Kangaroos forward John Cartwright has fired back at critics of his nephew, Gold Coast star Bryce — and Michael Ennis is the prime target.

Bryce moved from Penrith to the Gold Coast on a big-money deal earlier this year but the utility has struggled to make any impact, prompting retired Sharks premiership-winner Ennis to claim on Fox Sports this week that he was “taking the piss” out of the Titans.

But John has had enough of the critics.

JOHNS ON PONGA:*Witness the berth of a superstar

CRUCIAL:*Mansour makes a mountain of sense

John Cartwright has defended criticism of his nephew Bryce. Picture: Brett Costello

“You fight one of us, you fight the lot of us,” said Cartwright, whose brother David is Bryce’s father.

“All these blokes having a dig at Bryce when he’s down – he’s getting kicked left, right and centre. I thought what Ennis said was quite personal.

“Leave the personal **** aside.

“For someone to sit there behind a microphone and say that he’s taking the piss and not trying, basically saying he’s not having a go, I certainly take issue with that.

WATCH ENNIS’ SPRAY BELOW

“He (Ennis) said he’s taking the piss out of the club by accepting money. That’s what he said.”

Cartwright said Ennis should contact Bryce and offer constructive criticism rather than condemn him from a television studio.

“I’ve got a lot of respect for Michael Ennis – he was one of the best competitors I’ve ever seen play the game. But I’m sure there were periods of his career where he felt a bit down and maybe not performing his best,” Cartwright said.

Ennis unloaded on Cartwright. Picture: Brett Costello

“I think he carries enough respect to get Bryce’s number and give him a call and tell him where he thinks Bryce can be better. Ennis would get a lot more accolades from everyone in the game if that’s how he approached it.

“Bryce certainly doesn’t deserve blokes taking personal potshots at him. He is a good kid trying his best and trying to give his best for the Gold Coast, that’s a fact.”

Ennis went hard on Bryce this week when questioned about the form of Gold Coast’s major off-season purchase.

Cartwright has come under fire for his on field performances for the Titans.

“Phil Gould doesn’t let really good players go,” Ennis said. “Now he let him go over the summer for compassionate reasons and (Titans coach) Garth Brennan took Bryce Cartwright on the sheer fact that he delivered for him and he’d had a good relationship with him in the NSW Cup.

“Bryce is letting his coach down. There’s no two ways about it. He’s given him a lifeline and he’s taking the piss up there, Bryce. No two ways about it.

“He needs to show that he wants to be an NRL player, he’s nowhere near NRL standard. Well Bryce Cartwright’s defence is atrocious. I can’t say it in any other manner.”

John agreed Bryce’s form had been modest this season.

“I know he’s not playing well, so does the bloke in the street. But none of these blokes (critics) go down to training and watch him train. He is down on confidence but they don’t know the effort that he’s putting in,” John said.

“He is a 23-year-old kid – he has best years in front of him. He is going to get back to where he was and he has to take the good with the bad. I agree 100 percent about his form – Bryce’s form is down, like the rest of the team.

“But Bryce didn’t have much of an off-season at Penrith, training-wise. He went to the Titans just a week before their first game. In no way am I saying that’s playing out of his skin or anywhere near his best, and I’m sure he’d be the first bloke to admit that.”

Gold Coast halfback Ash Taylor also threw his support behind Cartwright.

Asked about Cartwright’s criticism, Taylor told Fox Sports’ NRL Tonight: “It doesn’t bother him at all. He just wants to get on with the job.

“He probably knows himself that it’s not been up to standard and Bryce is his harshest critic. I am sure he has been working hard at training this week and will continue to work hard to make sure his form is where it needs to be.”

Onya JC, lets all just toe the pc line and nothing is anybody’s fault. Ennis is refreshingly painful in his commentary.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Unlike John Cartwright to ignore poor form. Yes, Ennis could have contacted and offered advice but JC, you are a former Australian second rower. Grab the damn kid and talk some damn sense into him. At the moment he is all ability and no brain.

Phew, here's me thinking blunders like 7th tackle tries are not acceptable. Thanks for straightening me up with that one. Menotios.

Carry on Refs, you can do no wrong..

- - - Updated - - -

JC still living in his bubble, I see. It's bloody Round 10, John. You can't use the excuse that he didn't have much of a pre-season any longer.

First Grader

I'd be more offended about the coal train comparison personally.

Inactive User

Just watching the Footy tonight, maybe Wests will lose but it doesn’t matter....if our blokes would just apply themselves with the passion that the Wests players did then we would be going along just fine. Their effort and intensity is everything a fan can ask for....and then we have the slop that our blokes put up.

Quote Originally Posted by Boonarga View Post
    Unlike John Cartwright to ignore poor form. Yes, Ennis could have contacted and offered advice but JC, you are a former Australian second rower. Grab the damn kid and talk some damn sense into him. At the moment he is all ability and no brain.
    One of the reasons I watch Fox is that they have a few blokes that say it as it is. I'm sick of ex-players covering for their mates and not giving the opinions that they are paid to give. Channnel 9's cricket is even worse. Ennis was spot on. What a stupid suggestion from Cartwright that Ennis should have called Bryce. Is Bryce meant to take a call from every ex footballer that thinks he is playing sh1t at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Just watching the Footy tonight, maybe Wests will lose but it doesn’t matter....if our blokes would just apply themselves with the passion that the Wests players did then we would be going along just fine. Their effort and intensity is everything a fan can ask for....and then we have the slop that our blokes put up.
    About half way through the second half I said exactly the same thing to the missus. Wests were doing everything with energy and passion and great to watch. Compare that to our slow motion plodders. The crowd at Cbus could also learn a few lessons from the Leichhardt mob as well about being loud and hammering the refs.

How about Mahe Fonua? His energy is exactly we need out of our wingers. It's like they're doing the bare minimum in our games to get by at the moment. They need a lot more conviction.
    Last edited by Dobes; 10-05-18 at 09:06 PM.

Garth needs to show Koni a picture of Mahe Fonua and remind him that's his job for us.

THought the same. I also thought, where are all the "stars" in this team? No articles about offering big money to attrack certain players etc.

Look at the form of their defense. Everyone knows their role and never looked like a deer in the head lights. Yes their attack wasn't brilliant and they made some dumb errors but overall this is a team that we should aspire to be

We need to go back to the working class, no big egos team attitude that we showed in 2016. Wests are displaying that now and are getting results with a team that definitely isn't stacked. At times this year it seems like the experienced guys in particular are slacking off in parts of the game when the going gets tough. Hopefully an injection of youth and new selections will change that this week.

Ash Taylor exclusive column: Our Titans jersey explained, and my pride for Indigenous Round
    by ASH TAYLOR
    http://www.foxsports.com.au

THIS is one of my favourite weeks of the NRL season.

It’s the week I get to celebrate and showcase my culture, and the culture of Australia’s indigenous people to the rugby league world.

Indigenous round is such an important week for Aboriginal and indigenous people, and I’m glad the NRL dedicates an entire week of the season to it.

When I was a kid growing up one of my idols was Johnathan Thurston.

Not just for what he does on the footy field, but also the work he does off it, including with the indigenous communities.

Aboriginal players have such a big role in rugby league and it’s important we recognise and celebrate that.

It will be pretty special to run onto Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night wearing our indigenous round jersey.

The great man Preston Campbell designed our Gold Coast strip and he did a fantastic job.

It’s all about representing — representing our people, representing our families and where we come from, and representing the Titans.

On the front of the jersey Preston has drawn a meeting place, which symbolises all of us coming together.

That’s the first thing I see when I look at the jersey and I think that’s the message the design sends to people.

Every member of our team — the indigenous players and the players from other backgrounds — will be proud to wear that jersey on Saturday.

Injured Panthers young gun Nathan Cleary discusses his club’s health crisis. The Market Watch team also talk about Cleary’s Origin claims, the how the Bulldogs are in dire straits.

It’s guys like JT and Preston who have done so much good work in the game showcasing their culture, and I aspire to carry on their legacy.

It’s hard to get much time away from our club duties during the season, which is why it’s important to have weeks such as this.

The All Stars game was also an important concept to strengthen the relationship between rugby league and indigenous communities.

I’d love to see it return to the calendar one day, and I’d love to take the field representing the indigenous All Stars.

MY CONNECTION TO AJ BRIMSON

Young AJ Brimson comes into our side this week and will be my third halves partner for the season.

Titans fans should be pretty excited to see what this kid can do on Saturday night.

I’ve known AJ for a long time. I used to play touch football with his older brothers, and we go back a long way.

It’s good to see another local kid get a crack at the NRL, and now it’s up to AJ to take hold of that position and make it his own.

I can’t reveal too much, but I will say he will certainly bring a lot to the team.

He’s not a big guy but he’s super tough. He’s a left footer and has a nice kick, so no doubt we’ll be seeing a bit of that on Saturday.

Having that left boot on him also adds a dimension to our team.

Melbourne is a tough side to make your NRL debut against, but there’s no better opposition to test yourself against.

I made my debut against the Storm.

Some people will remember that night ... it did not end well for me. But that’s just footy.

I’m backing AJ to have a much more successful debut.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

YOUNG GUN TO STEP UP
    http://www.goldcoast.com.au

THE TITANS WILL FAST-FORWARD TO THE FUTURE TONIGHT AGAINST THE STORM, WITH BOOM ROOKIE AJ BRIMSON THROWN INTO THE NO.6 JUMPER. TRAVIS MEYN EXAMINES THE RISE OF THE PLAYMAKER.

ONE thing highly touted Titans debutant Alexander “AJ” Brimson doesn’t lack is confidence.

“I sat down with him and had a talk to him about whether he thought he was ready and he said, ‘what took you so long?’” Titans coach Garth Brennan said.

“I’ve seen how he’s reacted at training and how he is around the boys. It’s given me even more confidence that he’s ready to go. I think the time is right for him to have a crack.”

Brimson will make his NRL debut at Suncorp Stadium tonight when the Titans face Melbourne in the first match of the double header blockbuster.

The 19-year-old has been pitched into the Gold Coast’s No.6 jersey for a showdown with Queensland Origin fiveeighth Cameron Munster.

First grade baptisms do not get much tougher but Brimson is ready to tackle whatever is thrown at him. Born in Brisbane, the speedy playmaker travelled through a host of junior clubs before being picked up by the Titans while starring for league nursery Keebra Park High School.

He has committed to the Gold Coast until 2020 and now wants to lock up a permanent spot at five-eighth.

“I went to a few different schools in Brisbane and moved around a bit. I played for a few different Brisbane clubs,” Brimson said. “I played a bit in Brisbane at Graceville and Centenary. My parents split up and my mum met her partner down the Coast and I moved here when I was 12.

“I went to school at Tallebudgera, Benowa then finished up at Keebra for the last three years. I came down here and played at Currumbin when I lived at Tallebudgera. I went to Southport Tigers and played there for a year.

“Then I went to Runaway Bay and played there for a couple of years. I played a bit of under-20s for Tweed, too.

“I’ve been at the Titans (for my whole professional career) and I don’t really want to go anywhere else.

“I really like it here. It’s home.”

Brimson’s travels saw him develop into an elusive playmaker who is a more than handy fullback.

At 181cm and 89kg he is incredibly quick and strong on his feet, prompting Brennan to take a punt on the teenager as he attempts to snap a fourgame losing streak.

“He will bring some energy and enthusiasm,’’ Brennan said.

Brennan has failed to find the right foil for halfback Ash Taylor, with Kane Elgey and Bryce Cartwright struggling to put their stamp on the No.6 jersey.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"