Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Brennan's challenge for Titans NRL skipper

By AAP

Gold Coast coach Garth Brennan has asked for more from his captain Ryan James as the Titans aim to avoid a fourth successive NRL loss.
    The hard-edged forward has managed 696 run metres in seven games this season, compared to in-form teammate Jai Arrow's 1,224 run metres in eight games.
    James had just nine carries for 58 metres in Saturday's 10-9 loss to Cronulla, while first-year Titans lock Jai Arrow pressed his Origin claims with 18 runs for 188 metres.
    James did make 42 tackles in the loss, second only to tireless rake Mitch Rein (47) in the game.
    But Brennan has challenged his leader to show more against Canberra as the 12th-placed side aims to improve its 3-5 record.

"Ryan probably does need to step up and lead that team and be that forward leader," Brennan said before Saturday's clash with the Raiders.
    "Look at Jai Arrow and Jarrod Wallace; they're consistent every week and Ryan needs to take responsibility being our captain and leader.
    "He can play well in patches this year, but hasn't put a whole good 80 minutes together in back-to-back weeks."

Rookie coach Brennan has been forced to tinker with his line-up and tactics in the first two months of his reign, with James moving between the front and back row and more recently Bryce Cartwright joining Ash Taylor in the halves.
    He said it wasn't ideal for him or the team but that he expected it given he was inheriting a squad mostly assembled by former coach Neil Henry.
    "There's guys I'm making decisions on as the year progresses and guys off contract ... that I'm assessing," Brennan said.
    "Would I like to be more settled? Absolutely but sometimes it is a bit of chopping and changing to see what the best fit for the club is."

Junior

Canberra Raiders v Gold Coast Titans, 3pm Saturday at GIO Stadium

Titans: 1 Michael Gordon, 2 Anthony Don, 3 Brendan Elliot, 4 Konrad Hurrell, 5 Phillip Sami, 6 Bryce Cartwright, 7 Ashley Taylor, 8 Jarrod Wallace, 9 Mitch Rein, 10 Ryan James (c), 11 Kevin Proctor, 12 Will Matthews, 13 Jai Arrow

Interchange: 14 Max King, 15 Jack Stockwell, 16 Keegan Hipgrave, 17 Ryan Simpkins

Reserves: 18 Leilani Latu, 19 Moeaki Fotuaika, 20 Brenko Lee, 21 Kane Elgey

Ryan Simpkins replaces Morgan Boyle on the bench in the only change from last week's narrow loss to Cronulla

Raiders: 1 Jack Wighton, 2 Nick Cotric, 3 Jarrod Croker (c), 4 Joseph Leilua, 5 Jordan Rapana, 6 Blake Austin, 7 Aidan Sezer, 8 Iosia Soliola, 9 Siliva Havili, 10 Junior Paulo, 11 Joseph Tapine, 12 Elliott Whitehead, 13 Josh Papalii

Interchange: 14 Ata Hingano, 15 Shannon Boyd, 16 Luke Bateman, 17 Dunamis Lui

Reserves: 18 Liam Knight, 19 Michael Oldfield, 20 Brad Abbey, 21 Jack Murchie

The Raiders are unchanged from last week's win over the Cowboys.

Inactive User

Why isn’t Morgan Boyle in the 21??

First Grader

Not sure maybe simpkins can fill in at hooker to give rein a rest? Rein coming off the bench against tired forwards would be very effective, maybe start simpkins? Otherwise not sure why else Ryan would be in the side?
    Last edited by Upthetits; 01-05-18 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Why isn’t Morgan Boyle in the 21??
    injured

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    Not sure maybe simpkins can fill in at hooker to give rein a rest? Rein coming off the bench against tired forwards would be very effective, maybe start simpkins? Otherwise not sure why else Ryan would be in the side?
    I’m wondering why Morgan isn’t in the 21 at all. He didn’t look at all injured to me when he came off and I thought his 20min stint in the 2nd half was pretty good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    injured
    Any more info on the nature and length of the injury ?

Inactive User

I can answer my own question the website says Morgan Boyle-shoulder-2 weeks minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    I can answer my own question the website says Morgan Boyle-shoulder-2 weeks minimum.
    He actually did his shoulder in the first few minutes of him getting on. He just battled through it.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    He actually did his shoulder in the first few minutes of him getting on. He just battled through it.
    Goes to show his character
    I thought he did a good contribution

Fingers and toes crossed he doesn’t require surgery immediately
    Last edited by Mr Bods; 01-05-18 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    Thanks for the video JB here's how I see each play in the video.

1. Was meant to hit Matthews (Tick **** pass)

2. Penalty. Chad Townsend offside thats how he gets there so quick

3. Yes **** kick (Tick)

4. Had a little scoot out of dummy half and gets tacked?

5. Juggles the ball and unloads to James

6 .Unloads to Wallace at the Line

7. Kicks into Sharks player and regathers unlucky not to get 6 again

8. Marginal forward to James (probably gets away with it next week)

9. After Ash’s bomb where Sami is on Cartwright’s outside and Chad Townsend and Valentine Holmes are squaring up in defence and Jesse Ramein coming across in cover at a hundred miles an hour. Chad only has eyes for Sami and Cartwright is trying to get Chad’s interest as Cartwright throws the dummy to Sami and gets Chad and Jesse to commit to Sami and as Holmes proceeds to tackle Cartwright only 5 metres out he throws an awesome flick inside to an unprepared James who had Elliot in support with only Dugan in defence. James catches it and Try! Try! Try! We win and Cartwright is a hero.

10. Last 30 second play where Cartwright attempts a charge down and I tell ya what he wasn’t to far off getting a favourable ricochet. No time left for any other play when the Sharks were obviously kicking for the line to kill the game.
    Chad was a little germ and was offside ALL NIGHT, especially on the line and from scrums when we were feeding.

Justin Hodges calls for Alexander Brimson to make his NRL debut...

MEET the 20-year-old who could prove the secret ingredient to reviving the Gold Coast attack and drawing the best out of star half Ashley Taylor.

His name is Alexander Brimson and while he’s yet to play NRL, he’s quickly earning a reputation for himself as a rookie on the rise.

A star of the Queensland 20s Origin side last year and the Titans’ NYC player of the year, the talented half has spent 2018 playing fullback in the Queensland Cup after earning a Top 30 contract with the Titans.

With Garth Brennan struggling to settle on a solution at five-eighth, Maroons under 20s coach, Justin Hodges, has backed the versatile playmaker to not only be the man to ignite the Titans’ season but prove the perfect foil for Taylor.

“Ash Taylor’s the No.7, there’s no doubt about that, but there’s a young kid called AJ Brimson,” Hodges said on Queenslanders Only.

“Myself and Lote Tuqiri had a bit to do with him in the Queensland 20s, he was our five-eighth.

“He’s a wonderful player, just what he does on and off the ball, he’s got so much energy.

“He’s big, he’s put on about five or six kilos since we had him last year.

“He’s a left foot kicker as well ... his vision and his timing, how he passes, how he plays.

“Whenever you give him a game plan, he’ll execute it to the tee.

“He’s just one of those young kids who’s got the world at his feet and I think given the opportunity to play outside Ash Taylor, I think he could blossom into a wonderful player.”

Bryce Cartwright lines up in the No.6 again this week with Kane Elgey in reserve grade after failing to fire in 2018.

After being punted from the NRL side last week, he finds himself off-contract and on the outer.

On a $600,000 a season deal, Elgey is in desperate need of rediscovering form.

According to Hodges, a stint with Tweed Heads could allow Elgey to hit the refresh button before returning to the top grade later in the year.

“He had the start of the season to impress the coach,” Hodges said.

“I think at the moments he’s lacking a bit of form and that’s hard because when you lack form you lack confidence and you can’t steer your side around.

“When you’re a half you touch the ball more than anyone apart from the hooker on the field.

“I think the coach has done a wonderful thing putting him back to Queensland Cup to find form and confidence but I would like to see AJ, I think he’s a wonderful player.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...2eca5763d28a9f

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    Chad was a little germ and was offside ALL NIGHT, especially on the line and from scrums when we were feeding.
    As was Moylan. Through my refs ears I heard Ryan James get a warning that next infringement someone is going to the bin. Down the other end Moylan was penalised 3 times for offside (on his own not the entire team) but I didn't hear any such warning.

Yes Meno I would have liked to see Brimson on the bench this weekend as Rein doesn't handle 80m at all well so Simkins got the nod by default.
    There's a few guys on here that have big wraps on Brimson, so any chance Brimson could punch out some minutes at dummy half?

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    Yes Meno I would have liked to see Brimson on the bench this weekend as Rein doesn't handle 80m at all well so Simkins got the nod by default.
    There's a few guys on here that have big wraps on Brimson, so any chance Brimson could punch out some minutes at dummy half?
    Have to agree . It’s time Brimson got a look in at least. If Cartwright or Taylor don’t perform this week, surely they can park him on the bench.

What about the coconut in the room? ... I’m finding it hard to believe that Hurrell hasn’t at the very least been called out by the coach. He needs a serious kick up the derrière.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.