Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Rugby League World Cup 2021

Thread for the 2021 World Cup
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Rugby League World Cup 2021: Bristol to bid to host matches

Bristol wants to host matches in the 2021 Rugby League World Cup at Ashton Gate, BBC Radio Bristol reports.

England was chosen to host the tournament in 2016, ahead of a rival bid from the United States and Canada.

Bristol City Council want to submit a bid to the Rugby Football League by July, with the RFL set to reveal their chosen cities later this year.

"We want to attract more world-class events to the city," a Bristol City Council statement said.

"With the cycling grand prix happening later this year and the announcement of the Cricket World Cup coming to the city the year after, there is plenty to get excited about over the next two years."

No professional rugby league teams play in Bristol, but that could change after 2019, with the Gloucestershire All Golds and Oxford planning to merge.

The two League One clubs' proposal to form a new team has been accepted by the RFL, but they still need further financial backing.

The city of Bristol hosted a match during the 2013 Rugby League World Cup, with Bristol Rovers FC's Memorial Stadium selling out for the USA's 32-20 win over the Cook Islands.

This time, it is Ashton Gate - the joint home of Championship football club Bristol City and the city's Premiership-bound rugby union side - which is being put forward.

Phil Cole, chairman of the Bristol Sonics, the city's only current senior rugby league team, said: "It's fantastic news. We're delighted to see Bristol bidding again.

"We're hopefully going to be involved with the legacy side of things. There'll be a campaign over the next few years to increase participation and get more women involved in rugby league too.

"It was a great success in 2013, when it was a wonderful evening at the Memorial Stadium. We've got a great bid, but it's just a case of whether they'll go for more games in the north."

BBC Radio Bristol understands that the City Council and Ashton Gate Limited - who are working on the bid collaboratively - are hoping to secure a package that includes a quarter-final.

The RFL received £25m from central government to support its bid to stage the tournament, and plans to host 80% of games in Lancashire and Yorkshire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

2021 Rugby League World Cup: Venues to be named live on the BBC
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league

The 16 teams in the 2021 finals equals the largest field in the tournament's 65-year history
    Rugby League World Cup 2021

Dates: 23 October-27 November 2021 in England

The venues for the 2021 Rugby League World Cup, which is being hosted in England, will be announced at 09:00 GMT on Tuesday, 29 January.

The announcement will be streamed on the BBC Sport website, app and on Connected TV and will be presented by Helen Skelton and Kevin Sinfield.

Traditional rugby league strongholds such as Leeds, Greater Manchester, York and Sheffield are among the bidders.

London, Liverpool, Newcastle and Preston are also under consideration.

Participating teams
    England (hosts), Australia (holders), Fiji, France, Jamaica, Lebanon, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga, Wales, plus four other European teams (from Greece, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Norway, Russia and Scotland) and one other qualifier from Cook Islands, South Africa and USA.

World Cup draw at Buckingham Palace in a few hours.

World Cup organisers step up hunt for Australian broadcast deal
    http://www.nrl.com

World Cup organisers believe the entry of streaming services like Stan and Amazon Prime into the sports market could benefit the international game as they prepare to open negotiations for the Australian and New Zealand broadcast rights.

With the BBC having committed to televise all 61 matches of the men’s, women’s and wheelchair World Cups in Britain, RLWC2021 officials are now focused on securing broadcast partners in Australia and New Zealand for the end-of-year tournament.

RLWC2021 broadcast lead Russell Scott travelled to Australia early last year for preliminary talks about the World Cup broadcast rights, which were previously held by IMG and on-sold to Channel 7 for the 2013 and 2017 tournaments.

Since Scott’s trip, which coincided with the 2020 Australian Open tennis grand slam in Melbourne, Stan – owned by Nine – and Amazon Prime have begun buying Australian and New Zealand sporting content.

Nine, the NRL’s free-to-air broadcaster, launched Stan Sports in November after negotiating a three-year deal with Rugby Australia, while Amazon Prime purchased the rights to stream all New Zealand cricket matches into India until 2025, beginning with the recent series against Pakistan.

While there are concerns about the viability of the World Cup, officials are optimistic the COVID-19 vaccine roll-out, coupled with the fact the opening match isn’t until October 23, will enable the tournament to be played and are stepping up negotiations with broadcasters.

"We have appointed an agency that is going to work with us now to sell the rights into Australia and New Zealand first [before other countries], and that will happen fairly quickly," Dutton said.

"We are going to go to market in the next month but we have received an awful lot of interest already.

"Obviously there are some new players in the market and it’s very interesting to see what Amazon Prime are currently doing, particularly in cricket, so we are very optimistic about broadcast rights in Australia and New Zealand."

With Brazil in the eight-team women's tournament and Jamaica and Greece having qualified for the men's World Cup for the first time, officials are aiming to reach the biggest global audience in the game's history.

"The BBC will cover every minute of all 61 games, which if you compare that to anything that has gone before in rugby league, is definitely transformative," Dutton said.

"Now if we can get the right exposure in Australia and New Zealand – and then the rest of the world – this then becomes a really interesting commercial proposition that can hopefully be monetised in the future by the IRL.

"Australia and New Zealand are obviously incredibly important, that is our primary focus and that will happen fairly quickly.

"Then we have an ability to look to the rest of the world and with the new nations that are playing, like Brazil and Jamaica, all of a sudden the global offering becomes more interesting and more important."

The Kangaroos are scheduled to play their first match against Fiji at Hull on October 23 - just hours after England host Samoa in the World Cup opener at St James' Park in Newcastle.

The other teams in Australia's pool are Scotland and Italy, while the Kiwis have been drawn to play Lebanon, Jamaica and Ireland before the quarter-finals.

The Jillaroos play their first match against the Cook Islands in York on November 10, with France and New Zealand also in their pool.

The men's and women's tournaments finals will conclude with a double-header at Manchester's Old Trafford on November 27, with the final of the wheelchair tournament - featuring Australia - to be held on November 26 in Liverpool.

“The Board of International Rugby League (IRL) met on Thursday (25 February) and unanimously reiterated that the priority focus is the successful delivery of RLWC2021 in October and November 2021 in England.

The Board and RLWC2021 recognise the challenges ahead, but are encouraged by the recent update from the UK Government and the credibility and detailed planning already undertaken by the RLWC2021 team.

The Board will continue to support RLWC2021’s substantial work with all participating nations to ensure that every possible action is taken to deliver the biggest and best ever RLWC on schedule.”

Not unexpected, but still devastating. Australia and New Zealand withdraw.

STATEMENT FROM INTERNATIONAL RUGBY LEAGUE CHAIR TROY GRANT REGARDING RLWC2021
    https://www.intrl.sport/news/stateme...ding-rlwc2021/

“Late this afternoon I received a call from Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) Chairman Peter V’landys AM informing me that the commission had met and voted not to sign the participation agreements for Rugby League World Cup 2021 and would not be supplying Australian players for the three competitions. I appreciate Peter calling me to explain the rationale behind the ARLC’s decision and, whilst I can appreciate the ARLC’s intent to ensure player safety and welfare, I find it difficult to find the words that adequately describe my disappointment with that decision.

“Every sporting organisation, every industry, government and family globally have been impacted by this pandemic. RLWC2021 and IRL only recently stated that we fully appreciated the challenges facing us to run a successful Rugby League World Cup with player and officials’ safety our priority and we have met every request regarding this issue made of us by ARLC, New Zealand Rugby League (NZRL) and the Rugby League Players Association (RLPA). All designed to mitigate potential risks and satisfy the demands of ARLC and NZRL.

“I have been in regular communication with the RLPA and a number of international players and coaches who have been satisfied with the world cup’s biosecurity arrangements and expressed a clear determination to travel to England and proudly represent their nations. They have expressed to me that they feel their own personal choice to participate or not in the world cup has been taken from them. The RLPA have again committed to continue to work with IRL and the Local Organising Committee towards a 2021 tournament including Australian and New Zealand players who have dual eligibility and who are now keen to play for other nations.

“The withdrawal of the Australian teams has also seen the New Zealand teams withdraw and this may significantly compromise the tournament. I have spoken to RLWC2021 chief executive Jon Dutton regarding the news and the obvious impact these decisions have on the tournament, and we will be reconvening to consider our options and next steps once the RLWC2021 Board and UK government have had time to consider and absorb the news themselves.

“My job from here is to understand the LOC’s and UK government’s attitude towards continuing with the RLWC without Australia and New Zealand, if that is a viable option, or consider other options available to us. The next week will be critical but despite whatever happens my job as IRL Chair is to pick up the pieces of international rugby league’s tarnished reputation as a result of these decisions when quite clearly other sports have demonstrated their ability to run events during the pandemic, both in England and in other countries with equal challenges from the pandemic, including Australian and New Zealand representation.

“The obvious question being asked of us is why rugby league players are not able to make the same sacrifices as players from other sports? Sadly, players are telling me they haven’t had the opportunity to make that decision for themselves.”

Players union blasts Australia and New Zealand's World Cup call
    https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/

Players union blasts Australia and New Zealand's World Cup call
    The Rugby League Players Association has blasted the decision by governing bodies in Australia and New Zealand to withdraw from a potential 2021 World Cup.

The tournament is set to be held in the UK between October 23 and November 27. The Australian Rugby League Commission and New Zealand Rugby League came to a joint decision yesterday to request the tournament would be postponed until next year due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus pandemic.

Top brass in the UK immediately got on the front foot, with chair of the Rugby Football League calling the move "selfish, parochial and cowardly," and British minister for Tourism, Sport and Commonwealth Games, Nigel Huddleston, saying it was "an extremely surprising and disappointing decision from the ARLC and NZRL."

The RLPA confirmed that the move had been made without their consultation, with the vast majority of players expressing their desire to play in the tournament this year.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson and Tigers coach Michael Maguire, who work with the French and New Zealand national team setups respectively, have both publicly called for the tournament to go ahead, and Origin stars Christian Welch, Damien Cook, and James Tedesco have all said they would play.

"The news overnight that Australia and New Zealand will not compete in the 2021 World Cup is no doubt disappointing for players who were hoping to represent their Nations in the tournament," RLPA CEO Clint Newton said.

"We have had feedback from a number of players eligible for these Nations stating their intentions to compete in the tournament, pending more information becoming available in the coming weeks."

Newton said that governing bodies had not taken the views of the players on board before making a "premature" decision to call for a postponement.

He also said that the union was working closely with World Cup staff regarding health and safety protocols.

"We have an obligation to advocate on behalf of all players to secure the best possible terms and conditions for the tournament, and this remains ongoing," he said.

"For players representing remaining participating Nations, our priority will be to help ensure appropriate health and safety measures are in place, and also provide them with the relevant information to make an informed decision about participation.

"We had anticipated that players from Australia and New Zealand would have that same opportunity, which has unfortunately been taken away from them with last night's decision."

TO'O JOINS PANTHERS TEAM-MATES IN COMMITTING TO SAMOA FOR WORLD CUP
    https://www.intrl.sport/

Penrith Panthers star Brian To’o has given a massive boost to Toa Samoa ahead of the opening World Cup clash with England after declaring he would turn down a Kangaroos jersey to represent the Pacific nation.

To’o is one of up to eight members of last year’s NRL premiership winning team who are set to line up for Samoa, including fellow NSW State of Origin backs Jarome Luai and Stephen Crichton.

There were four Panthers players – Charlie Staines, Taylen May, Izack Tago and Spencer Leniu - in the Samoa team which beat Cook Islands 42-12 in the June 25 Pacific Test at Campbelltown Sports Stadium but To’o, Luai and Crichton were playing for the Blues in Perth.

May’s brother Tyrone, who this season joined Catalans from Penrith, is also likely to be in contention for a place in Samoa’s World Cup squad.

Luai and Crichton had previously indicated that they were likely to play for Samoa at the World Cup, but there was uncertainty about which nation To’o would commit to if he had to make a choice.

The 23-year-old - who led the NRL for run metres last season, averaging 245.9m per game - played for Samoa in 2019 but would now be an almost certain selection for the Kangaroos.

However, he has committed to playing for Samoa at the World Cup.

“Most definitely I will be playing in the World Cup and I am going to be putting on the red and blue jersey of Samoa. I am committed to Samoa,” To’o told former England captain James Graham on Sydney’s Triple M radio.

Asked what he would do if approached by Australian coach Mal Meninga about a place in the Kangaroos squad, To’o said he wanted to represent his heritage.

“Obviously it would mean the world to me to put on the [Australian] jersey,” he said. “It is a massive opportunity to play for Australia, but my heart is everything to me and my people and my family mean more, so I will definitely play for my family.”

Samoa play England in the opening match of the rescheduled tournament at St James Park on October 15 and are in the same pool as France and Greece.

May, who has scored 14 tries in 15 matches since making his NRL debut at the start of the season, said the opportunity to play with so many Penrith team-mates for Samoa would be a dream come true.

“It is a big thing for us, we do talk about and I really hope the boys all come back and play for us,” he said.

“I am still starstruck about that sort of stuff. I have only just started playing NRL and now to get to play for Samoa, I am very grateful and honoured.

“Watching Tyrone play and just seeing how the fans get around it, especially with the culture, it is something I have dreamed about. My mum is Samoan and it was pretty big for our family, especially when my mum’s dad was alive.

“I just think growing up in the [Penrith] area, there are a lot of Pacific Islanders. I knew Rome [Luai] and that before I was playing NRL. To know that they are Samoan too is amazing.”

Kangaroos dealt big World Cup blow in battle for Origin star
    https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/

Blues Origin star Brian To’o has confirmed he will represent Samoa over Australia at the Rugby League World Cup.

Appearing on Triple M’s Deadset Legends, To’o said he will be “playing for my family” at the tournament in October.

Stream every game of every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

“Definitely, I’ll be playing in the world cup and I am going to be putting on the red and blue jersey of Samoa,” he said. “I’ve committed to Samoa.”

“Obviously it will mean the world for me to put on the jersey and its a massive opportunity to be play for Australia but my people and my family mean more.”

It’s a major coup for Samoa with To’o among the leading wingers in the game and likely to have figured in Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga’s plans.

The 23-year-old had previously hinted it would be Australia who would win out in the battle of allegiance for the try-scoring sensation. This was despite attempts from Panthers teammate Jarome Luai to convince him to turn out for Samoa.

“I would love to represent Samoa in the World Cup, and it will be my first one if I end up making the team,” To’o told the Herald in February.

“But my parents want me to tick off the box playing for Australia and that’s something I’ve got to take into consideration. I’ll most likely play for Australia if I get chosen.

“The way they see it, making it for Australia is hard and to see their son play in one of the most elite teams ... is something really special.

“My parents want me to do that. It will do them proud to have my last name being selected for Australia.”

To’o has played one international for Samoa in 2019.

World Cup semi-finalists Tonga to meet France in Halifax RLWC2021 warm-up game
    By Steve Mascord
    https://www.rlwc2021.com/article/407...1-warm-up-game

ENGLISH fans will get their first look at men’s World Cup hotshots Tonga and 2025 hosts France when they collide at Halifax on October 8, it can now be revealed.

The Mate Ma’a and Les Chanticleers will play a warm-up match at the New Shay a week before the tournament-proper kicks off, with talks underway to add a women’s game to the programme.

Kristian Woolf’s Tonga are ranked alongside the tournament favourites while under Laurent Frayssinous, France will have a new resolve following a training camp at home.

“It’s our privilege to bring the second-ranked team in the IRL to Halifax where they will meet the hosts of the next World Cup,” said former NRL and Super League player Jimmy Smith, project CeO for event promoter NovoSports.

“We know that the rugby league fans of the north will be thrilled by the power of Jason Taumalolo, the brute strength of Katoni Staggs and the blistering speed of Toluta'u Koula.

“At the same time it’s a new dawn for the French game with lots of familiar faces such as Theo ***es and the best of two Super League teams taking Les Bleus into this World Cup and - most significantly - one at home.”

On October 7, England and Fiji men will face off at AJ Bell Stadium while another game on October 8 pits Wales against Lebanon at Heywood Road in Sale.

Tonga will play Cook Islands, Wales and Papua New Guinea in the group stages of RLWC2021, with France playing England, Samoa and Greece. Tickets are available at rlwc2021.com/tickets

Joseph Suaalii declares for Samoa at 2022 Rugby League World Cup
    https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/

Australia's World Cup bid has taken yet another hit, with Joseph Suaalii electing to represent Samoa, rather than his nation of birth.

The 19-year-old is the latest in a series of players eligible for both nations, who have opted for a blue jersey rather than the green and gold.

Brian To'o announced he would play for Samoa back in July, while props Junior Paulo and Josh Papalii each made the same call a couple of weeks' later.

With multiple other outside backs declaring for other nations as well, Suaalii was thought by many to be a walk-up start for the Kangaroos. 

"For family reasons, I have decided to pledge my allegiance to Samoa for the upcoming World Cup," Suaalii told News Corp.

"This has been one of the most difficult decisions of my career."

Instead, it's almost getting to the stage of wondering who will play for Australia, rather than rattling off the players who won't. 

Joseph Suaalii is set to represent Samoa, and not Australia, in the World Cup. (Getty)
    Canberra backrower Hudson Young was the latest player named to the national team's train-on squad, after a stellar 2022 season. 

Stream the NRL premiership 2022 live and free on 9Now

He joins a host of other NRL stars from eliminated teams in that evolving group, but interestingly, that squad did include Suaalii, who has now opted to play for Samoa instead, as well as the likes of Tino Fa'asuamaleaui and David Fifita, both of whom are eligible for Samoa and Tonga, respectively.

Tonga coach Kristian Woolf named Fifita, as well as other Origin representatives Daniel Tupou and Siosifa Talakai in a 38-man squad last week.

Only one, that's right just one, NZ Warrior in the whole NZ squad ... a strong team for sure but it's a sad state of affairs that the Warriors don't truly represent the NZ rugby league community. Yes, you could argue that Covid has had a major influence on their recruitment but I'm surprised that this opportunity hasn't been offered to a couple of development players. I add that even Australia has included players like Nanai and Cotter over more established players.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Only one, that's right just one, NZ Warrior in the whole NZ squad ...
    Struth. That is devastating. Warriors really need to dig themselves out of this. A Kiwis win would help.