Default THE AXE IS BACK! Gillmeister rejoins Titans’ coaching staff to fix defence

THE AXE IS BACK!

Trevor Gillmeister rejoins Titans’ coaching staff to fix defence

THE “Axe” is back at the Gold Coast, and is determined to transform Bryce Cartwright into a feared defender.

A year after knocking back Wayne Bennett’s approach to link with the Broncos, Maroons legend Trevor Gillmeister has joined Garth Brennan’s coaching staff to bring a tougher edge to the Gold Coast’s defence.

Gillmeister, nicknamed “The Axe” for cutting players in half with his bone-rattling tackling, made his first appearance of the season in a consultancy role at Titans training today (pictured).

Gillmeister, 54, spent eight years as an assistant to John Cartwright at the Titans before being sacked by Neil Henry when he took over as head coach in late 2014.

The former Maroons and Kangaroos forward will work closely with halves Ash Taylor and Kane Elgey as well as the supremely talented Cartwright, whose defence has been a concern throughout his 75-game NRL career.

“It’s amazing when you talk to some blokes — they haven’t been taught as a kid,” Gillmeister said.

“A lot of islander boys were never taught how to tackle properly because when they were kids they’d just run through them and manhandle them.

“A bloke like Bryce, being a big kid, he’s been able to grab them and pull them down.

“When you get in with the big boys, that doesn’t work. You’ve got to have a good technique.

“I like seeing blokes get their defence right because I get a kick out of it, especially when you see little blokes knock big blokes on their ****.”

Despite a solid start, the Titans have conceded the most points (171) in the NRL this season and Brennan is looking to stiffen up their defence.

Gillmeister is an assistant coach for the Maroons and Kangaroos and was one of the game’s most feared defenders in an 11-year first grade career.

Gillmeister is reluctant to take on a fulltime NRL position, but said he would make appearances at Titans sessions throughout the season.

“I’m giving them a bit of a different point of view,” he said.

“It’s just a different way of saying things. I’m not reinventing the wheel.

“Mainly with the halves and Bryce as well. It’s about getting them more confident in their defence.

“Garth and I are very similar in the way we think about defence. It’s good when you’re both on the same page.

“I was here eight years. It makes you think back to the early days when we were at Runaway Bay and how basic things were. I’m loving it. I’m having a great time.”

Titans forward Will Matthews said Gillmeister could add plenty to the Gold Coast’s defence.

“It was good to see him again, he was an assistant coach when I was here a few years ago,” he said.

“He is a very good defensive coach. He was one of the best defenders when he was playing.

“He’s teaching us good technique. We’ve got to improve on that.

“It’s really only been two games that we’ve leaked too many points. Under fatigue we went away from defending right and it snowballed.

“If we can get on top of that it will go a long way to winning more games.”

The ninth-placed Titans can move back into the top eight by beating the Cowboys at 1300SMILES Stadium on Saturday.

http://www.couriermail.com.au
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 18-04-18 at 07:31 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER