Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

So then the debate is whether governments should invest in community infrastructure or turn a profit ... then you can argue that a professional sports club is a business and not a non-profit community project. Interesting to see how it rolls out ... the argument of parity with southern models seems a bit lame considering the different socio-economic demographics.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

If the GCCC in conjunction with State government grants can put a few street lights in the middle of the highway that do nothing and nobody can tell they spell Gold Coast then surely they can cop a loss on stadiums.

Some more game playing.

Gold Coast mayor Tom Tate backs plan to build a boutique stadium for NRL, AFL and A-League
    https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au

MAYOR Tom Tate has backed a radical plan to build a boutique stadium closer to the coastline to free the Titans from the shackles of Stadium Queensland.

The Titans are exploring a long-term strategy to dump Cbus Stadium in favour of a smaller capacity arena located closer to the city’s coastline public transport and amenities.

It is understood the boutique stadium would include a grandstand with corporate suites and seating for up to 8000 spectators and a hill section covering the rest of the arena that would accommodate a further 7000.

Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate has thrown his support behind the idea, calling the current lease costs for Cbus Stadium “ridiculous.”

“The Titans owners are applying a commercial mind to their problem. That’s what smart business people do,” Cr Tate said.

“I’d be more than willing to discuss with councillors the possibility of a boutique stadium rising from the ground, somewhere else in our city.

“It would need to be on a public transport route and would need the support of the people but we can make it happen.

“The ridiculous $1.3 million per annum lease costs for Cbus Stadium could be directed into paying interest on a $20 million loan to build the infrastructure needed to make this boutique stadium work.”

He said he would even go as far as turning off the water to Cbus if a deal wasn’t reached and the Titans moved on.

“Stadiums Queensland would then be left with no anchor tenant for Cbus, and they can spend their weeks mowing it and keeping it spic and span, until the cow’s come home.

“I will also turn the water off to Cbus as we currently gift the water to that stadium, free of charge.”

The idea of a smaller stadium has gathered momentum as talks over the dud Cbus deal have dragged on.

Stadiums Queensland is charging the Titans $110,000 per game, including GST, which is up to four times the price their Sydney club rivals pay their landlords.

The success of Titans matches in Toowoomba and Gladstone has convinced the club that a cut-down stadium model could be the best option for them to thrive on the Gold Coast.

It would also be an ideal home for any future A-League franchise and would deliver the city a more attractive venue for mid-size concerts of up 20,000 fans.

The Titans are hopeful of striking a fairer deal with Stadium Queensland after meeting with senior officials this week.

Titans CEO Graham Annesley the club was hopeful of signing a deal to stay at Cbus that would be financially viable — but he hasn’t ruled out pursuing a smaller stadium.

“Our objective all along has been to enter into a long-term agreement at Cbus Stadium,” Mr Annesley said. “It’s our home ground, the stadium was built for the Titans over a decade ago and our discussions with the Government are making progress and our objective is to enter into a multi-year agreement there.

“Those sort of projects (building a new stadium) obviously always take a number of years to bring into fruition and who knows what our situation will be in a few years time.

“A city like the Gold Coast requires a range of different-size facilities to cater for all sorts of events, whether it be rugby league, rugby union, soccer, concerts, to have another quality facility for a range of events in a smaller venue, would be a fantastic addition to the Gold Coast.

“Our objective is to be filling Cbus Stadium most times we play there, which is 27,500 people. We would love to be in a position where we are doing that, but smaller venues to cater for smaller events, there will always be a place for that.”

Mr Annesley thanked the Mayor for his support during the negotiations process.

“The Mayor has been a fantastic supporter of the club and campaigned for us to get a better deal at Cbus and we’re extremely grateful for the support he has given us publicly, which has helped our cause.”
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

This is what Dolphin Stadium looks like, in a 3d tour. https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=MDeLDfWgh6q
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Interesting to note that CBUS Super Stadium has added the rest of our home games for 2018 so fingers crossed that an announcement isn't far off.

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    Interesting to note that CBUS Super Stadium has added the rest of our home games for 2018 so fingers crossed that an announcement isn't far off.
    There was an article in the Sunday Mail (a few pages in) that a deal was expected to be announced in the next few days. I would hope that means that all 4 sides of the stadium will be open but I doubt it. There are really no other options despite the brinkmanship that has been displayed. Regardless, the State Govt should hang their heads in shame over the way this has been played out. It is clear that the State Sport Minister is way out of his depth and Stadiums Qld executive should be sacked.

I wonder about all 4 sides being open as well, but while we aren't filling it it doesn't bother me too much if it saves our club 100k or whatever it is, and dispersing some crowd over there will make the eastern side look even more sp**** on tv

Found it MT, fingers crossed a deal is made soon and a multi year contract is announced.

Gold Coast Titans poised to sign new deal to stay on Glitter Strip
    MAY 27, 2018
    THE Gold Coast stadium stoush could be over, with the Titans poised to ink a new long-term deal to remain on the Glitter Strip.

The Titans and AFL’s Suns have been crying foul over “extortionate” hiring fees to play at their State Government-controlled stadiums.

The Titans have looked at taking games to Redcliffe and the Suns to Southport in a bid to avoid financial ruin.

However, The Sunday Mail understands the Titans have agreed to terms with Stadiums Queensland to continue playing out of Cbus Stadium at Robina in a deal which will save the NRL club hundreds of thousands of dollars a year compared to their current hiring arrangement of more than $100,000 a game.

The agreement is being approved by lawyers with an official announcement expected within days.

The deal also paves the way for the Gold Coast Suns to follow suit with a new deal of their own at Carrara’s Metricon Stadium.

Both the Suns and Titans have conceded they cannot survive the astronomical venue operating costs, which are the worst in the country, and government levies that are gouging their fans.

The Titans have looked at taking games to Redcliffe and the Suns to Southport in a desperate bid to avoid financial ruin.

An independent economic impact audit commissioned by the AFL and obtained by The Sunday Mail — the Street Ryan Report — shows the Suns are the code’s leading drawcard for sporting tourism.

Last year 22,207 footy fans visited the Gold Coast to watch Suns games.

The report estimated AFL tourists pumped $27.9 million into the Gold Coast economy each year.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    I wonder about all 4 sides being open as well, but while we aren't filling it it doesn't bother me too much if it saves our club 100k or whatever it is, and dispersing some crowd over there will make the eastern side look even more sp**** on tv
    Funny how spell check chops out your use of the word Spar5e because of the last four letters! It's a pain in the ****.
    I am sort of used to the southern side being closed and when the game is on I don't give it a thought but it looks bad on tv and yet another sign to southerners of the nanny state government crap we cop up here. If ANZ can leave the entire bottom tier open for less than 10k then surely CBus can be fully open. The thing that annoys me is even when we hit 20k plus they drip feed the opening of bays on the south side which looks very amateurish. I guess the main thing first though is get the agreement signed.

Received the email this morning about the deal being done with the Govt to remain at CBus. This paragraph puzzles me though:

"The club today confirmed a five-year agreement 'inclusive of options' that will see the club play a minimum of 10 home games at Cbus Super Stadium each year through until the end of 2022."

What does 'inclusive of options' mean. Does that mean, that we are committed for a lesser period than 5 years and options exist. Like a few players contracts where we were mislead into believing they were for a number of years but that ended up including options that may or may not be taken up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Received the email this morning about the deal being done with the Govt to remain at CBus. This paragraph puzzles me though:

"The club today confirmed a five-year agreement 'inclusive of options' that will see the club play a minimum of 10 home games at Cbus Super Stadium each year through until the end of 2022."

What does 'inclusive of options' mean. Does that mean, that we are committed for a lesser period than 5 years and options exist. Like a few players contracts where we were mislead into believing they were for a number of years but that ended up including options that may or may not be taken up.
    That’s the way I read it. We may get a follow up email to clear it up maybe.

Also maybe if the options are in the clubs favour it could be that the “ Boutique Stadium “ maybe something that is going to be built and the club may want to look at that option down the track.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

New owners
    New coach
    Evolving roster
    Confirmed home ground

#thrunthru

Congrats to the Club ... awesome news.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

We Win....Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    We Win....Well done.
    Did we? Haven’t seen what the agreed costs are yet. I suspect we still lose as there wasn’t really a viable alternative.