Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

An aging fan base, a decrepit coach and a mediocre roster have all conspired to make them look very ordinary.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

From Mayor Tom Tate

Not sure why but residents seems to be paying twice for our footy stadiums!

When the Titans were first being mooted in the city (even before the name Titans was settled on!) we needed a rectangle footy stadium to be built to support this new national team to get the license from the NRL. The key was that the then Labor State Government needed to foot the bill. What might not be known nor remembered too well is that Gold Coast ratepayers and local entertainment venue patrons footed the bill - not the State Government!

Let me explain...

The then Council of the day was asked by the State to supply the land for a new stadium but the Council didn't own a suitably large enough block of land so it had to use ratepayer funds of $20m to buy a block at Robina and gift it to the State Government - to Stadiums Queensland specifically. So ratepayers stumped up for the land for the new Robina league Stadium.

Then to build the new stadium the State Government had a gaming levy on hotels, clubs and other pokie venues on the Gold Coast to raise the funds to build the stadium. So it is the patrons of those hotels, clubs and other venues are the ones who paid for the 'build' by the State Government.

So after ratepayers and then entertainment venue patrons have stumped up for the cash to buy the land and build the stadium , footy goers still pay through the nose for tickets to games as well as overpriced meat pies and beers. A lot of the ticket price actually goes to the State Government’s “Stadiums Queensland” for venue hiring, the State Government’s Translink for the ‘free buses’ and to the State Government’s Queensland Police Service ‘Specials’ –police officers usually on overtime for “public safety” at the games.

So we Gold Coasters are effectively paying twice before we even walk through the gates to watch our team play their hardest for the pride of our City.

It’s just immoral to be slugging indirectly the Titans fans (and for that matter the Suns fans) some of the highest venue hiring fees nationally. Some other teams in the NRL down south pay a third of that hiring cost the Titans cop at Robina.

It makes it hard for the Titans to fund the best possible team and game time entertainment onto the field while keeping ticket prices reasonable for families.

On top of all this ratepayers are forced to pay the State Government for the water used by Stadiums Queensland at both our stadiums: the water which is supplied by…drum roll please…the State Government in bulk in the first place!

It costs the ratepayers around $200k a year at each stadium for the bulk water but the City doesn’t get to charge Stadiums Queensland for a single drop of retail water they use. This was all arranged by the ‘Exchange of Letters’ by the previous Mayor in what can only be described as a pretty lousy deal for ratepayers.

It is quite a contrast to the recent AFL deal done in Victoria where the State Government there has agreed to a half billion dollar deal with Etihad Stadium and the AFL that includes upgrades to that stadium as well as funding all sort of upgrades of suburban grounds, changing rooms with junior and female competition expansions.

I really do hope the Titans are not forced to move to another venue in Redlands or anywhere else outside of the City…but these State stadium charges are forcing their hand sadly. I think the problem is similar for the Suns at Carrara Stadium as well. Our City can’t lose our national teams to this Brisbane-centric bureaucracy.

The Titans are the only regular tenants at this venue. Now they are on a 'causal deal' as the charge that Stadiums Queensland want to do for a longer term deal is unsustainable financially for the Titans. There is no incentive for Stadiums Queensland to bring other events or festivals to better utilise this stadium and to share the annual running costs.

You might remember the GC United soccer team limited entry to 5000 fans at one time. The reason was that the stadium hire fee jumped up three times the cost if they let 5001 fans into watch!

The real madness is that if the Titan's go elsewhere, the stadium will stand empty, as testimony to the lunacy of Stadiums Queensland's financial approach to owning such stadiums and expecting Gold Coasters to continue to pay twice for the one seat at the footy.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Inactive User

^^^ brilliant. It must be read and then used to educate the Lemmings

Just read that post on Toms FB page. It’s a real eye opener.

Also when you think about it the Titans have been given the rough end of the pineapple in terms of stadiums here on the GC. Metricon will be full of upgrades from the Games yet Cbus is untouched.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post

Also when you think about it the Titans have been given the rough end of the pineapple in terms of stadiums here on the GC. Metricon will be full of upgrades from the Games yet Cbus is untouched.
    I think the Suns are losing more money in their stadium deal than even we are. They need to step it up too and get more vocal.

Not to worry, Cowboys will get reamed a royal one once their Stadiums Queensland contract becomes active. Poor buggers are yet to regret what they wished for.

Good on Tom letting a few home truths made known. The whole thing was poorly handled since Bligh got involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    I think the Suns are losing more money in their stadium deal than even we are. They need to step it up too and get more vocal.
    Oh really mate. What makes you say that. I thought the Suns have a pretty sweet deal ??
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Oh really mate. What makes you say that. I thought the Suns have a pretty sweet deal ??
    Graham Annesley strongly debunked that at last year's Members Forum. I was actually surprised. He said something along the lines of, the Suns would kill for the Titans deal.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate’s spray over stadium fees hitting Gold Coast Titans fans

GOLD Coast Mayor Tom Tate has taken aim at the State Government over the ongoing stadium fees saga.
    In a lengthy social media post, Cr Tate said Gold Coasters were paying too much to use Cbus Stadium at Robina and Metricon Stadium at Carrara.

The Titans have warned the club could fold if the high costs continue.

“It’s just immoral to be slugging indirectly the Titans fans (and for that matter the Suns fans) some of the highest venue hiring fees nationally. Some other teams in the NRL down south pay a third of that hiring cost the Titans cop at Robina,” he wrote.

“It makes it hard for the Titans to fund the best possible team and game time entertainment onto the field while keeping ticket prices reasonable for families.

“On top of all this ratepayers are forced to pay the State Government for the water used by Stadiums Queensland at both our stadiums: the water which is supplied by … drum roll please … the State Government in bulk in the first place.”

Cr Tate, a passionate sports fan, said he feared the issue would drive the Gold Coast Titans and Gold Coast Suns away from the city and warned such a move would leave the stadiums empty.

“I really do hope the Titans are not forced to move to another venue in Redlands or anywhere else outside of the City but these State stadium charges are forcing their hand sadly,” he said.

“I think the problem is similar for the Suns at Carrara Stadium as well. Our City can’t lose our national teams to this Brisbane-centric bureaucracy.

“The real madness is that if the Titan’s go elsewhere, the stadium will stand empty, as testimony to the lunacy of Stadiums Queensland’s financial approach to owning such stadiums and expecting Gold Coasters to continue to pay twice for the one seat at the footy.”

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

[QUOTE=DIEHARD;382881You are correct Lee, my government did approve the funding for Cbus Stadium. Ground broken in 2006. Of course I am keen to see the issue resolved ASAP but this is a matter for the Titans and Qld Govt. I am happily long gone from politics. [/QUOTE]

Teflon Pete strikes again. What's the point of him being NRL Chairman if he doesn't want to intervene in something like this.

I always laughed when they came up with that Smart State garbage and don't know why he still has that as his Twitter handle. That was at the time we were having power load shedding (blackouts). Pete reminds me of an old boss I had. Tell everyone how great things are time and time again and then eventually some start to believe it.
    Last edited by Mexican titan; 25-05-18 at 12:25 PM.

Well GCU are back and have lodged an Expression of Interest to be reinstated back into the (soon to be expanding) A-League. Their home ground to be CBus..

I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing regarding running costs for Titans to play there. Someone smarter than me can figure it out..

Inactive User

They manage Carrara themselves in some way and pay the Govt a fee. The problem is they simply can’t put enough events on at Carrara to get anywhere near making a profit to meet the fee they are charged. So they are making a huge loss.
    Plus they just want to run a footy club not waste resources managing a stadium as well.

I think that’s the general gist of it. They hate their predicament.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    They manage Carrara themselves in some way and pay the Govt a fee. The problem is they simply can’t put enough events on at Carrara to get anywhere near making a profit to meet the fee they are charged. So they are making a huge loss.
    Plus they just want to run a footy club not waste resources managing a stadium as well.

I think that’s the general gist of it. They hate their predicament.
    That's how I see it too. That is why they are trying to chase cricket to play there.

**** aye, seems the Suns/AFL have got to cough up $2Mil a year. Different contract like Diehard mentioned where they can host other events. But yeah, their **** fight makes ours seem a little sweeter, if $1.3Mil per year can come across that way.

TBH, in relation to what QS lease stadiums back to teams. They'll never recoup the money initially put into each stadium. It seems a crap deal for everyone all round.