Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Gulp....

Hey Brennan do us all a favour and make sure you get one-on-one with Taniela Paskeka at some stage over the weekend and tell him how great you can make him at this club. And tell him the home truth about Manly going no where fast whilst the Cherry wanker is at the helm which is basically for ever. LOL!

DCE: Silver lining in Titans contract saga

Author Margie McDonald Senior Reporter Timestamp Fri 6 Apr 2018, 08:01 AM

It is three years since Daly Cherry-Evans reneged on a four-year deal with Gold Coast Titans by recommitting with the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.

A world of pain descended on the then 26-year-old, father of two, throughout those deliberations.

The headlines weren't kind and the name-calling was pretty intense. The media camped outside his home.

On Sunday, Cherry-Evans faces the Titans for the third time since that dramatic turn of events in round five Telstra Premiership action at Marley Brown Oval, in the central Queensland coastal city of Gladstone.

Once again his name is in the headlines – and it relates back to that eight-year, $10 million contract he signed in June 2015. This time the debate is whether the third-party agreements in it were part of salary cap breaches Manly have been fined $750,000 for. The club is appealing the penalties.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg said last week no current players in the Sea Eagles squad had question marks over their contracts. The sanctions relate to up to 15 former players over the past five years.

Cherry-Evans tried to clear the air after the 32-16 win over Canberra last weekend.

"It's certainly not nice when your name is attached to something like that," he said.

"I certainly wasn't surprised that they [media] somehow found a way to put my name in front of it."

Sitting with NRL.com in the stands at Lottoland, Cherry-Evans knows his Titans saga will always be part of his story. But he also knows he changed a piece of rugby league contracting history.

"I thought of this the other day," he said with a wry smile.

"I'd like to think my rugby league success would have a bigger bearing on people's perception of me. But when it's all said and done, I'm not naive to think that I haven't changed the rules.

"I tell you why I don't cringe about it or feel awkward about it. The rule being changed because of what I went through has meant I've helped shape that side of the game.

"The game certainly looks a lot better, a lot cleaner, not as messy anymore, where contracts are concerned."

Cherry-Evans had bought a house at Mermaid Beach so he fully intended going to the Titans. But after he changed his mind, the public outcry of it all prompted the NRL to change the rules.

The NRL scrapped the round 13 deadline, which allowed a player signed for another club for the next season to go back on their word and re-sign with their current club before that mid-year, June 30, date.

The game's governing body replaced it with a 10-day cooling off period for any new contract and it became known as "the Cherry-Evans rule".

That too has now been scrapped under the new collective bargaining agreement signed last December by the NRL and the RLPA so players have no escape route out of a deal.

The move is designed to take some power away from player managers.

Cherry-Evans looks back on that time and knows it made him stronger and wiser.

"No one got hurt; no-one was injured; no one was sick. So the reality is it wasn't too bad a situation," he said.

"But what it did do was take me and my family through the papers for a very long time … a lot longer than anyone anticipated or wanted. So, in hindsight, it was a very tough part of my life and my career.

"But it certainly shaped the person I am today and I have no regrets about what happened. Things could have been done differently but that's certainly not a regret.''

He said he had seen former Titans chairwoman and now part-owner, Rebecca Frizelle, several times since, and the pair had been "pleasant" to each other.

But the experience of 2015 means he does not engage on social media, apart from an Instagram account that has been fairly dormant, although he's contemplating rebooting.

"I'm thinking of using it a bit this year. I post no photos of my family but I would like the fans to see how much fun it is around the boys at training and at games.

"I'm proud to show that side of Manly to a larger audience."

- - - Updated - - -

What an absolute twat. He just doesn't get it this bloke.
    He's got the emotional intelligence of a F$%king Maggot. I hope we get some well overdue payback on this douchebag on Sunday.
    Last edited by RavShamrock; 06-04-18 at 04:13 PM.

I totally enjoyed the way Fletch blew-off DCE’s little story of him and Ben Barba doing a runner from a taxi in Mackay.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Proctor delighted to be back home

KEVIN Proctor says his move to the Gold Coast has had its intended effect as he prepares to run out for his 200th NRL match on Sunday.

Proctor signed with the Titans ahead of last season in a homecoming for the 29-yearold and his partner Leesa.

“I only really moved for my family,” said the former Palm Beach Currumbin High student.

Despite some “bumpy” times, he hailed the move from Melbourne as being positive.

“We are really happy here, with our house we’re renovating, and the kids love it here too,” he said.

“It’s a great lifestyle and I’m sure that my parents and my missus’ parents are really happy that we’re back up here too.”

The Melbourne premiership winner is feeling physically and mentally ready for a big season as his combination with Ash Taylor gradually develops towards the level he achieved alongside Cooper Cronk at the Storm.

The Titans are looking to back up their upset win over Brisbane by defeating a hot and cold Manly side in Gladstone.

“It’s a big game for us to test that we’re not a one-game miracle,” Proctor said.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Brennan no soft touch
    http://www.couriermail.com.au

GARTH Brennan slammed the Titans as “soft” in a savage sledge that has fuelled the Gold Coast’s revival.

The Titans recorded one of the club’s most famous victories when they stunned the Broncos last Sunday in a 26-14 boilover at Suncorp Stadium.

The Gold Coast’s first win against the Broncos in Brisbane in 11 years came a week after the club’s second-biggest ever loss, 54-8 to the Dragons.

In a brutal honesty session, new coach Brennan labelled his team soft and challenged them, particularly the forwards, to respond against the Broncos.

Test backrower Kevin Proctor, who will play his 200th NRL match against Manly in Gladstone on Sunday, said Brennan had set a new standard at the club.

“He was calling us soft, he was calling us that as a group,” he said.

“The boys really took it on board and didn’t want to play soft again. We don’t want to get called that again.

“All the boys really rallied and trained well that week.

“We really stood up. We need to be a consistent footy side and stand up again this week.”

Brennan’s challenge was accepted by the Titans, who were physically stronger and more determined than the Broncos.

They were led superbly in the engine room by captain Ryan James, young lock Jai Arrow and Proctor, who is back to his best after a poor debut season on the Gold Coast last year.

Arrow has exceeded expectations in his first four matches for the Titans and said the team did not want to produce another embarrassing performance again.

“We came out and made a statement and that’s something we want to do every week,” he said.

“We’ve got to take in the same attitude and hopefully get the job done against a side that’s been travelling well in Manly.”

Brennan looks set to field an unchanged side against the Sea Eagles at Marley Brown Oval, with only backrower Will Matthews rested from training yesterday.

The Gladstone clash is a Gold Coast “home” game, but the fourth of six straight away matches for the Titans because of the Commonwealth Games. › THE two Penrith fans who racially abused Greg Inglis have been indefinitely banned from attending NRL games.

The NRL yesterday announced the two spectators would be barred until they had proven they had undergone education and apologised to the South Sydney skipper.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Will Matthews out. Infected cut.

LeagueUnlimited Preview: Titans v Sea Eagles preview - LINK

Brennan: One week won't break Cartwright
    http://www.nrl.com

Garth Brennan insists one minute in one game is not going to break his star recruit Bryce Cartwright, and Gold Coast Titans forward Jai Arrow reckons one great game could make the former Penrith Panther.

Call it the 'Cartwright conundrum' if you like but the Titans are yet to unlock the key to the ball-playing back-rower.

Last week the Titans put in their best display of the season with a 26-14 win over the Brisbane Broncos, a game in which Cartwright played just one minute off the bench.

Brennan told NRL.com Cartwright would play more minutes against the Manly Sea Eagles in Gladstone on Sunday and insisted last week's lack of game time would not dent the 23-year-old's confidence.

"One week is not going to break him," Brennan said.

"He he's had a tough year Bryce, but it wasn’t on purpose that I left him off.

“The boys were defending so well against Brisbane I just didn’t want to break their mojo, but if we were 12 points behind or needed points you would have seen Bryce out there.

"He'll play a lot more minutes against Manly but it is about me not putting him under the pump when he is down on confidence."

Arrow, who like Cartwright joined a new club in the off-season, said his fellow forward had unveiled "freakish" skills at training and just needed to get the self-belief to do it in a game.

“Once he grows in confidence and gets used to the structure he will kill it," Arrow told NRL.com.

“I think Bryce can only go up from here. At training I've seen his ability to see things and ball play, and that pretty freakish flick pass as well that comes off more often than not.

"As Garth says, it will take time for Bryce to play the footy he has in the past."

Bryce’s uncle, John Cartwright, had a remarkable around the corner pass he used to unveil at the line for the Penrith Panthers in his pomp.

Panthers premiership winner Scott Sattler said Bryce had even more skill than his famous uncle.

“John was one of the toughest and most skilful modern day forwards with beautiful, subtle, light hands but I reckon Bryce has more hand-to-hand skill than his uncle," Sattler told NRL.com.

"Bryce can play before the line, through the line and he can play late but he is a different player to John.

"Bryce probably has to watch vision of [former Cronulla captain] Gavin Miller, a guy that could play tough early and then brought finesse into his game.

"He has just got to grit his teeth and play really physical and aggressive early on in the match and see what happens."

Brennan said he was confident the penny would drop soon, but he added he was not concerned if it took a while for Cartwright.

“He is not a dummy, Bryce, he knows what he needs to work on," Brenann said.

“He is a work in progress. We are in no rush to get him where we need him to be."

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    [B]

- - - Updated - - -

What an absolute twat. He just doesn't get it this bloke.
    He's got the emotional intelligence of a F$%king Maggot. I hope we get some well overdue payback on this douchebag on Sunday.
    It'd be kind of like the first person caught shagging a farm animal coming out in ye olde days saying because of what I did they made a law against it! It's my legacy.

LOL! Yes JB

The story behind how we lured the Titans to Gladstone
    https://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au

TWO mates sitting on a couch watching footy together was all it took for the Gladstone NRL idea to be conceived.

Gladstone Region mayor Matt Burnett and Ocean Tyres owner Lance Backer sat beer in hand with their feet up before Lance made a remark that would kick start our NRL adventure.

"Lance and I were watching footy, a Titans game, and he said 'you know they've got to move next year and won't be able to play at Cbus (Stadium)? - they have to move because the Commonwealth Games are on',” Cr Burnett said.

"I said 'really? where are they going?' and he said 'well I don't think they even know yet, they could come to Gladstone - so that's where it began.

"He asked whether we can do it and I said of course, we can we just need to start the conversation.

"If they're getting booted out then the state government will have to compensate them for moving.

"What we did then was, I met with some officials at the Titans and asked what we'd have to do to get the Titans to come to Gladstone next year when they get kicked out for the Commonwealth Games.

"They said we were actually the first people to come to them - the conversations from there went backwards and forwards and then I had a conversation with Titans CEO Graham Annesley and went down and met with him and asked him what we had to do.

"He said they'd come up and check us out and from there the rest is history.”

Lance's version of events is similar to those of the Mayor.

"I suggested to Matt they'll have some away games because of the (Commonwealth) Games and said I'd to take him down to a game and introduce him to the Titans management,” he said.

"We set up a meeting with Titans management and Matt did the rest.

"Because I'm a foundation member I suggested it to him, he came down for a couple of games as a guest and I introduced him to Graham Annesley and the major players and he ran with it.

"He did all the hard work after that - it's a credit to Matt in my opinion - he bided against Rockhampton, Sunshine Coast and Mackay.

"There was a fair bit involved apparently and very tenaciously, like a fox terrier, he pulled it off and here we are.”

A Balmain Tigers supporter as a kid, Lance became a Titans' supporter and foundation member in 2007.

"There were 100 foundation members invited to buy in to the Titans,” he said.

"There's actually only 17 paid-up foundation members left from the original 100 and this is our 12th season.

"With my business, I like to give my customers an opportunity to take them away for a game and when the Gold Coast Titans became a club I applied to get involved. There were two tickets left and I got the last two seats.

"So I was fortunate and every year since their inception we go down to the home games and if I can't make it, our staff or customers go during the year.”

Despite Backer's unwavering support, there were times when he considered giving up his foundation membership.

A Wooden Spoon in 2011, salary cap breaches, financial problems leading to the resignation of inaugural CEO Michael Searle and a cocaine scandal involving a number of high-profile players had Backer ready to rip up his tickets.

"Over the 12 years I've been very frustrated with the issues and adverse publicity, I was very close to pulling out a few times because I didn't want to be associated with all the stuff that happened,” he said.

"But I've stuck with them mainly because of one man and that's (Titans sales manager) Tony 'Knackers' McDonald.

"Him and I have a very good relationship and it's because of Knackers that myself and Ocean Tyres are still with the Titans.

"He's a funny bugger, he's passionate and it's because of him that we're still there. I've built up a really good relationship with him and his wife Danielle.”

Despite playing the role of matchmaker with the Titans and Cr Burnett, Lance was quick to acknowledge the hard work conducted by the mayor behind the scenes.

"I'm really thankful to Matt for his persistence, for his support. It's really great for Gladstone and the community.

"I just hope now we can get a purpose-built stadium in the future with a 10,000 minimum capacity to bring the boys back again.”

Titans skipper keen for Gladstone clash
    https://www.cqnews.com.au/

RUGBY LEAGUE: The 2018 season may have started in bright fashion for the Gold Coast Titans but captain Ryan James knows his side can't afford to rest on its laurels after an impressive 26-14 victory against Brisbane Broncos last Sunday.

The Titans' fast start against the Broncos, where they led 10-0 after five minutes, will need to be replicated against Manly Sea Eagles at Marley Brown Oval tomorrow afternoon.

Manly is more than capable of blowing sides away early on in a contest, with its 54-0 Round 2 demolition of Parramatta testament to that.

"They've been pretty good the whole year,” James said.

"They had that hiccup against Souths (in Round 3) but they always try to come out and start really fast and strong.

"Hopefully the travel wears them down a bit and we start like we did against the Broncos - that was probably the best start we've had all year.

"We just need to back up what we did last week because one good win doesn't justify what you've done all year.”

Both sides sit at two wins and two losses this season, making tomorrow's result even more crucial as teams battle to climb the NRL ladder.

The Titans skipper feels his side is better positioned player-wise this season, especially in the forwards with off-season recruits Bryce Cartwright, Jai Arrow, Will Matthews and Leilani Latu adding some much-needed starch to their forwards, who are led by 26-year-old James.

Having new coach Garth Brennan at the helm has also spurred the squad to aim even higher.

"Obviously with a new coach you're trying to impress and we know every spot is up for grabs and everyone is just trying to play their best footy,” James said.

"We have pretty good depth as well - we've got a couple boys coming back from injury who could probably push for a first-grade spot.

"It's good to have depth this year whereas last year we were lacking in the forwards but this year we've got a lot of good, young forwards who can come step into a spot if someone gets injured.”

The Titans kicked off its season by edging the Raiders 30-28 on the Gold Coast but have been on the road since with games in Auckland, Toowoomba and Brisbane.

The 193cm, 106kg back-rower, who can also play at prop, has felt the excess travel has helped galvanise the squad while on the road.

"It's always good just to get away and be around the boys. You start bonding more as well and once you get closer you start playing better footy,” he said.

As far as playing in Gladstone is concerned, the New South Wales Origin hopeful is calling on the Marley Brown Oval crowd to cheer on his side.

"It would be great to get as many Titans' fans out there as possible... If it can feel like a home game it would be great to run out there in front of some supporters,” James said.

"Our Legion follows us everywhere and if we can get the community behind us as well that would be great.”

First Grader

Boom Manly Sea Eagles fullback Tom Trbojevic is a strong chance to make an early return from injury in tomorrow's NRL clash against Gold Coast Titans at Gladstone's Marley Brown Oval.

Trbojevic injured his right ankle late in the Sea Eagles' 32-16 victory against Canberra last weekend and was expected to miss two weeks.

The 21-year-old travelled with the squad to Gladstone and has been named among the reserves for the Round 5 clash.

The dynamic runner trained strongly away from the main group at Manly's Captain's Run on Saturday morning with a final call on due to be made on his fitness come match day.

Manly coach Trent Barrett hasn't ruled Trbojevic out at this stage.

"Yeah he's a chance. He'll train again this morning and we'll make a decision on that tomorrow," he said.

"He's still got plenty of time but he's running really well and we expect him to play."

The Sea Eagles will also welcome back representative centre Dylan Walker, who plays his first match of the season after breaking his leg playing for the Prime Minister's XIII against Papua New Guinea last September.

"We all know how good a player Dylan Walker is," Barrett said.

"He brings a lot of enthusiasm and a bit of x-factor, but we're certainly not expecting miracles from Dylan in his first game for a long time."

Barrett expects his side to confront a Titans squad with an extra spring in its step after an impressive win against the Broncos last Sunday.

"They were really good last week, I thought their energy was good and they played really physical," he said.

"They've got some pretty handy players in there and (Ash) Taylor is a real threat and Konrad Hurrell has been playing really well as well.

"We know who we have to contain but it's about us doing our job properly and getting a result."

Manly held its Captain's Run at Marley Brown Oval and Barrett said he liked the Gladstone facility, but doesn't expect too much support from the stands come 2pm Sunday.

"We'll expect a pro-Titans crowd being up here in Queensland but that certainly doesn't worry us," he said.

"We've just got to do our job but the town has been really good. It's really friendly place and they've done a really good job of the oval so I'm looking forward to it."

Bryce Cartwright set to start in second-row after Will Matthews ruled out

GOLD Coast have been forced to make a change from the team that stunned the Broncos.

Will Matthews has been ruled out of the Round 5 clash with Manly in Gladstone tomorrow, with coach Garth Brennan revealing it had stemmed from the win at Suncorp Stadium.

“He cut his leg last week in the game and it got a little bit infected,” Brennan said.

Max King has been named in the starting side at second-row but the 20-year-old usually plays prop or lock.

Bryce Cartwright was spotted training on the left edge during the week and is a more likely candidate to directly replace Matthews.

Keegan Hipgrave has been promoted to the bench.

The other man excluded from the 19-man squad was prop Leilani Latu, who played for Tweed Heads today in Townsville.

Tyronne Roberts-Davis and Jack Stockwell are on the extended bench and will line up for Burleigh in the Marley Brown Oval curtain-raiser against Central Queensland if not required by Brennan.

The Bears will kick-off at 11:45am, with the Titans to start at 2pm.

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au