Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Junior

Gold Coast Titans v Manly Sea Eagles, 2pm Sunday at Marley Brown Oval

Titans: 1 Michael Gordon, 2 Anthony Don, 3 Dale Copley, 4 Konrad Hurrell, 5 Phillip Sami, 6 Kane Elgey, 7 Ashley Taylor, 8 Jarrod Wallace, 9 Nathan Peats, 10 Ryan James (c), 11 Kevin Proctor, 12 Will Matthews 13 Jai Arrow

Interchange: 14 Mitch Rein, 15 Max King, 16 Bryce Cartwright, 18 Morgan Boyle

Reserves: 18 Leilani Latu, 19 Jack Stockwell, 20 Keegan Hipgrave, 21 Tyronne Roberts-Davis

The Titans are unchanged after their re-jigged forward pack helped produce a stunning form reversal against Brisbane last week.

Had to check the Sea Eagles website for confirmation because Kelepi Tanginoa has been named on the NRL.com website at 17 but then mention Jack Gosiewski in the 17. So Tanginoa is out (ACL) Gosiewski in at 17.

Inactive User

Last time we played Manly we got pumped at home 30-10 and Manly didn’t have Tom T that day either. Coach Brennan needs to have our men equally as focused and probably playing better than Sunday for us to be any chance of getting the points in what to me is a “must win”.

Manly are right on their game this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    I come at it from a different way to you Bodsie.

Although I also am disgusted with the 'ethics' Manly displayed cheating to entice Cherry Evans to reneg, we should send them flowers and a card as its the BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED.

If Cherry Evans never agreed to take money outside the cap and cheat the game, then we never would have signed Ashley Taylor.

the best thing that ever happened i tells ya
    best thing thats happened to Manly aswell cause DCE is levels above any other half in the game and will probably stay that way for the next 5 yrs
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    best thing thats happened to Manly aswell cause DCE is levels above any other half in the game and will probably stay that way for the next 5 yrs
    The only way he is levels ahead of any other half is because he has the neck of a giraffe. If you're talking skills then I hope your workplace doesn't drug test.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post

Well he should be a shoo in for rep honours then?
    I would hope not.

- - - Updated - - -

Just looking at the benches for our game (which I'm considering as a yard stick this year) I think we have them covered.
    Last edited by RavShamrock; 03-04-18 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Last time we played Manly we got pumped at home 30-10 and Manly didn’t have Tom T that day either. Coach Brennan needs to have our men equally as focused and probably playing better than Sunday for us to be any chance of getting the points in what to me is a “must win”.

Manly are right on their game this year.
    Wouldn't say that Manly are right on their game Bodsie. Only 10 days ago Souths murdered us and Manly were flat, which hopefully was due to playing in 40 deg heat the week before.
    The Titans never have a better chance to beat Manly with Tommy T and Sironen out who have been going well. You are correct that the Titans have to improve on the Broncos effort. I watched that game again today and while I was over the moon on Sunday that the Titans won, the Broncs were just terrible. Probably the worst I've seen them play for a long while. We also saw the Titans have a great win over the Storm last year and we saw just how it all unravelled after that game.
    As for me I don't really enjoy these games anymore but a win to the Titans would do a lot to get the season going and might get the club some respect. So c'mon Titans.

Inactive User

^^^ MT you are doing the transition slowly and thankfully you are headed in the right direction. Having done it myself though I do recommend just ripping the band aid off and just fully embracing the Titans. It’s surprisingly easy and feels good.

Bodsy you are such a gentleman.

Taylor to face Hannant?
    Author QRL Media Timestamp Tue 3 Apr 2018, 07:48 PM

Former Test forwards Dave Taylor and Ben Hannant could give fans another reason to arrive early for Sunday’s momentous NRL clash in Gladstone.

Previous teammates at club, state and national level, the two big boppers are a potential Intrust Super Cup match-up when the CQ Capras take on the Burleigh Bears at Marley Brown Oval.

The game is being held in Gladstone as a curtain-raiser to the Gold Coast Titans v Manly Sea Eagles NRL fixture.

Taylor has been named to suit up in jersey 12 for the Capras, while Hannant has not been officially listed by Burleigh, despite speculation he is ready to return from hamstring injury.

However, if Hannant’s debut in round two is anything to go by, we know Burleigh is reluctant to throw the star signing under the spotlight and he could well be a last-minute inclusion when team sheets are handed to match day officials.

Interestingly, Hannant was in the same team as Taylor when he made his debuts for the Broncos, Queensland and Australia.

The last time they played on opposite sides at NRL level was September 5, 2015 when Hannant’s North Queensland Cowboys defeated Taylor’s Gold Coast Titans 42-12.

Around the Intrust Super Cup, it’s the names that are missing that are creating as much consternation as those that have been announced.

Young Tonumaipe’a will be missing from the Easts Tigers line-up in their clash with the Redcliffe Dolphins, having been named for call-up to the Melbourne Storm.

Tonumaipe’a scored three tries in a rout of the Sunshine Coast Falcons last week.

Brandon Smith has also been named for another week with the Storm, while the impressive Patrick Kaufusi is on the extended bench in number 19.

Redcliffe has not named Jonus Pearson, but he could well be available after the Brisbane Broncos selected State of Origin winger Corey Oates ahead of him.

Corey Jensen was initially named for the Townsville Blackhawks to play the Tweed Heads Seagulls, but has since been called up to the NRL and replaced by Rod Griffin, with Ross Bella coming on to the bench.

Meanwhile Shaun Nona, a premiership player for both the Northern Pride and Illawarra Cutters and former QRL Representative Player of the Year, has been omitted from the Wynnum Manly team to tackle Souths Logan.

Nona, who is contracted to the Broncos, was also overlooked for selection in Wynnum’s breakthrough win against the previously undefeated Norths Devils last week.

One player who has been named to take his place again this week is Mackay Cutters fullback Lachlan Coote, with the former NRL premiership winner still working his way back from hamstring injuries.

They get better curtain raisers than us

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    They get better curtain raisers than us
    My thoughts precisely ... surely it’s a no-brainer to have QCup before a home fixture.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

For those of us at the game (I'll be there for sure) keep an eye on the Capras number 9, Billy Gilbert. He's a fair dinkum champion with a heart as big as Phar Lap! Some are already calling him leagues answer to the honey badger. lol

I've always wondered what you'd get if you put the heart of one of these little blokes into a Dave Taylor or Tony Williams. An unstoppable monster I'd reckon. Here's an article about him...

Outback Bill: Incredible story of rugby league’s new cult hero.

IN an era of beep tests, Yo-Yos and BMIs, Billy Gilbert is a throwback to a time when men became match fit simply by doing manly things.

Gilbert's name will be unfamiliar to all except those in the southwest of NSW and the most staunch of Sharks supporters but his on-field exploits for the CQ Capras in the Intrust Super Cup and his extraordinary pre-season regimen is winning him plenty of admirers in Rockhampton.

The Capras will form part of a major footy festival in Gladstone this Sunday as the Titans take their home game against the Sea Eagles to Marley Brown Oval where Gilbert is likely to feature prominently against Burleigh.

His 67th minute try sparked the Capras' come-from-behind win over Ipswich last Thursday but it was the 21-year-old's stat line the week before that underlined his skill and high workrate.

Although the Capras went down narrowly to the Mackay Cutters 18-16 in Round 3, Gilbert walked from the field with a stats line of 47 tackles, 149 metres run, six tackle breaks, one try, one line break, two offloads, a try assist and a line break assist, his incredible workrate the by-product of 55 days spent in the outback completing backbreaking work in order to provide food for a crocodile farm.

"At the end of last footy season I went to the Northern Territory, shooting feral buffalo and horses for use in crocodile farms," Gilbert told the QRL website.

"You'd do seven animals in the morning, have lunch, then do another seven in the arvo.

"You shoot them, drag them up, spin them on their side, skin them, bone them, roll it over and do the other side.

"I tell ya, the humidity was off the Richter scale. She was a decent workout."

But that wasn't his only outback experience of the summer, Gilbert also travelled 1300 kilometres from the Northern Territory town of Katherine to help cull 40 wild camels.

"I told me old man that I wanted to work real hard, just kill myself with work, and leave no stone unturned," said Gilbert, who hails from Darlington Point 33 kilometres south of Griffith, population just 1,016.

"I'm in Rockhampton, living 1800km from home, I've got no family here, nothing in general, nothing to lose.

"I might as well give this everything I've got.

"Going to the desert, the middle of nowhere, and hunting animals while I knew everyone else was on off-season was something I wanted to do from a mental aspect."

They're the type of qualities all coaches would kill to have in all of their players but Capras coach Kim Williams conceded they have to rein in 'Outback Bill' for fear of setting unreasonable expectations.

"He's a character from the past; one of the sort of blokes the game probably misses a bit these days," Williams said.

"You could say he's a bit unique, but we don't ever want him to change.

"He's got a great attitude, is a sponge for information and is highly motivated to be the best he can.

"That absolute enthusiasm and drive to succeed is a fantastic strength, but we also have to temper it because he sets pretty high standards of himself.

"He needs reminding just to live in the moment sometimes."

In addition to his efforts on the field Gilbert's laid-back bush persona is also winning him plenty of fans, the 85kg No.9 taking his dog along when asked to do some local media.

"You could say he has the same outlook on life as most folks from this region," Williams explained.

"We call him 'The Man of The People' because you can't help but warm to him."

https://www.northernstar.com.au/news...ason-/3377260/

Great article ... I’ve coached all over the joint and could write books about players like this guy ... it’s what makes me puke thinking of Hayne and Myles.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Great article ... I’ve coached all over the joint and could write books about players like this guy ... it’s what makes me puke thinking of Hayne and Myles.
    Yeah mate, I know what you mean. I'm great mates with Jason Hetherington. When he was coaching the Capras here, he was always on the lookout for raw boned country lads. They're just naturally tough and willing to have a dig! They don't sook either!