Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Arrow > Josh Macguire. Kevvie wont upset a winning team this year, but its a matter of time till he owns that 13 for them.

Happy overall, happy seeing a team that looks well coached and this is very early days, imagine once we are closer to the final product that Brennan is aiming for.

The players walking around on field talking after the game looked so content and satisfied and close as a team.

If we score on that play instead of DCE going the length we would have really gone on with it, but he took the momentum back and it was a wrestle form then on. proud we stuck it out.

There is room for MacGuire and Arrow in the Maroons Id say
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Titans too good for Sea Eagles in Gladstone
    https://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au

NRL: A party atmosphere engulfed Marley Brown Oval yesterday as Gladstone turned out in force to celebrate a centenary of rugby league.

Fans queued long before the gates opened to secure a place on the hill or in the grandstand, packing out all corners of our hallowed ground.

The sell-out crowd of 5135 were treated to an enthralling contest between the Gold Coast Titans and Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles with the Titans prevailing 32-20 in the Round 5 match.

There was a huge cheer as the Titans kicked off, but it was short lived as the home side conceded a penalty in the first set which led to the opening try to Manly winger Jonathan Wright.

The Titans struck back in the seventh minute when an Ash Taylor cross-field kick was batted back by captain Ryan James into the path of prop Jarrod Wallace, who crashed over the line.

Michael Gordon added the extras to square the match at 6-6, although Manly soon responded through a Daly Cherry-Evans penalty goal in the 11th minute.

The game began to settle into a rhythm despite a strong south-easterly breeze making life difficult for both sides.

The Titans found the chalk again in the 27th minute when Jai Arrow crossed for the first of two tries to hand Gold Coast a 12-8 lead.

Manly conceded a cheap penalty in front of the posts in the 36th minute and the Titans had no hesitation in taking the extra two points to open up a six-point lead.

Titans interchange Morgan Boyle scored right on the stroke of half-time to hand Gold Coast a 20-8 lead at the break.

Both sides went at each other to begin the second half but it was the Sea Eagles who made the brighter start, albeit against the run of play as an 85-metre intercept try to skipper Daly Cherry-Evans breathed life back into the contest at 22-14 after 55 minutes.

Manly struck back again only minutes later when hooker Api Koroisau made a bust with centre Brian Kelly backing up to plant the ball down next to the posts to bring the visitors within two points.

The Titans lost Dale Copley to concussion which forced a backline reshuffle, resulting in back-rower Bryce Cartwright shifting to the centres.

The tensions began to build heading into the final 10 minutes as an engaged Gladstone crowd cheered on every hit with a cacophony of noise.

A wayward kick out on the full by Ash Taylor had Manly back on the attack, but they couldn't capitalise as Joel Thompson had a try disallowed due to a forward pass in the lead-up by Koroisau.

The Titans were doing just enough to hold on and seemingly sealed the contest with a try to winger Anthony Don in the 74th minute.

Gordon couldn't convert from the sideline which gave Manly a sniff at 26-20 as the clock continued to tick down.

Taylor attempted a field goal with two minutes left, which was touched by a Manly player, resulting in a line drop-out.

The Titans sealed the victory, its third of the season, when Arrow scored his second try in the dying seconds.

Titans forward Kevin Proctor took the conversion in his 200th game and made no mistake from right in front.

Despite a few nervous moments midway through the second half, Titans coach Garth Brennan thought his side deserved the two competition points.

"I thought it would've been really disappointing if the boys didn't get the result today," he said.

"They worked really hard but made it hard for themselves at times in the second half.

"There were some gutsy performances there, especially after losing Dale Copley.

"The boys were determined to put on a good performance today and I'm really proud of their effort."
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Gave them a start, clawed our way back into it, nearly surrendered a good lead and finished full of running ... plenty to like about this group.

I am gradually starting to believe in Brennan's structure. I don't have anything really to say about the game or the team except I hope Copley recovers quickly. We won and the Eags got what they deserved. The youth and vigour of this squad is encouraging.
    Last edited by Titanic; 09-04-18 at 08:16 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

It's Marley Brown Oval like you've never seen it before
    https://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au

A CROWD of 5135 rugby league fans watched Daly Cherry-Evans produce a spectacular 85-metre try at Marley Brown Oval

But the home side - Gold Coast Titans - made history to record a 32-20 win in Gladstone's first ever NRL match for premiership points.

Titans' 200-game milestone man Kevin Proctor hopes to be back in the port city in 2019.

"It was good, especially for a country town and there were heaps of supporters there, which was good and the atmosphere was awesome," he said just before the team did a recovery session at the Gladstone Gladiators swimming pool.

Victorious Titans' captain Ryan James said the team rode on the emotion from the Marley Brown Oval crowd at a time when Sea Eagles threatened to win.

"It was great to come up here and everybody was behind us," he said.

"It felt like a home game and and it was electric out there and I'd love to come back and hope they have us again."

Gold Coast Titans' previous outing to a regional centre was in Toowoomba and coach Garth Brennan said this time it was a great response to give the fans what they wanted.

"The people of Gladstone have been so good and we've been so welcomed since we been here," he said.

"The crowd was great and I think it's fantastic for the game, to be able to bring these games out to these people out in the bush.

"They don't get a lot of footy and I mean they're diehard rugby league fans and it's important that we give back to them.

"I'm really pleased we put on a performance for the crowd and we can send them away with a smile on their face."

James added that the club has embraced its relationship with the country folk.

"We came up here a couple days earlier to get to know the community," he said.

"We did some work up here a couple of weeks ago and Brenton Lawrence did some community work and he planted the seed.

"Hopefully in the future if we ever come up here, everyone still is on our side."

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Gold Coast secure back to back upset wins with a 32-20 victory over Manly
    Peter Badel

CAN you believe it? Yes, it’s true ... the Titans are currently Queensland’s No. 1 team.

The Titans club that has endured more low points than a deep-sea diver has rocketed into the top eight after two-try workhorse Jai Arrow inspired a gutsy 32-20 defeat of Manly in Gladstone yesterday.

Playing in the town that spawned Queensland Origin great Gary Larson, it was fitting that the Titans’ triumph was built on the very qualities that made him a Maroons ironman — courage and granitelike defence.

The Titans defended like Larson in his pomp to bolt to a 20-8 halftime lead, then summoned true grit to repel a fierce Manly fightback that whittled the deficit to 22-20 entering the final quarter.

Under siege, the Titans prevailed, halfback Ashley Taylor just edging out Daly Cherry-Evans in an epic playmaking duel with a hand in two match-sealing tries in the final five minutes.

The classy Taylor ignited a 74th-minute short-side rush for Anthony Don to cross and when he slipped a short ball for a flying Arrow 90 seconds from time, the Sea Eagles were shot.

Fittingly, Kiwi Test back-rower Kevin Proctor delivered the coup de grace, slotting the final conversion to ice the celebrations of his 200th NRL game.

“The Titans in the past may have got beaten, but we stuck tight and that was the pleasing thing,” coach Garth Brennan said.

“They are believing in themselves. The pleasing thing is the resolve this team is showing.

“I would have been disappointed if we didn’t get the result. We were the better team. Manly really gave it to us, but we’re a tight-knit team.”

For too long, the Titans have resided in the shadow of the mighty Cowboys and Broncos, but they have now won three games this season — as many as Queensland’s Big Two combined.

The metamorphosis has been as emphatic as it is swift. A fortnight ago, the Titans were the NRL’s laughing stock after conceding 54 points against the Dragons on a horrible afternoon in Toowoomba.

Now the Titans are playing with a harder edge. The poster boy is Arrow. The industrious lock is the superglue of their pack.

The 22-year-old former Bronco channelled Larson as he amassed 20 tackles and 143 metres from 17 runs. Oh, and Arrow also produced four tackle busts, two offloads and two line-breaks. Superb.

“Jai was the best on field,” Titans skipper Ryan James said. “He came from the Broncos to play longer minutes. He has been our best for five rounds.”

Arrow’s commitment was infectious. Even troubled recruit Bryce Cartwright lifted, setting up Arrow’s first try in the 26th minute with a clever flick pass. When Dale Copley left the field with concussion, Cartwright answered an SOS at centre.

“Bryce took a real step forward,” Brennan said. “I don’t think he’s ever played centre before, so he stepped in and did a great job.”

GOLD COAST 32 (J Arrow 2 M Boyle A Don J Wallace tries M Gordon 5 K Proctor goals) bt MANLY 20 (D Cherry-Evans B Kelly J Wright tries D Cherry-Evans 4 goals) at Marley Brown Oval. Referee: Ashley Klein, Tim Roby. Crowd: 5,136

http://www.couriermail.com.au

Rep Player

Living in CQ it was fantastic to see such strong support for the titans especially since this is normally donkeys and cowboys territory. A performance like that will also win you a lot of new fans! Well done boys! On a lighter note ran into Henry at a pub in Rocky friday night and I think ever second person came up to him and said "i would of chosen you over Hayne"....poor bastard hahaha

NRL should forget a 2nd Brisbane team and look at CQ

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Sorry to disagree but Gordon is a better fullback than Mead was ever going to be and has been for a while. I'm pleased that Meady is going well in the Super League but that comp is far behind what we have here.

I thought the Titans win over the Broncos had a question mark as the Broncos (pleasingly) are playing terribly, but I thought Manly turned up to play and todays win had a lot more merit. It was great the Titans came through their patches of poor play and were back to finishing stronger by the end. Arrow and Gordon superb, and not too many bad performances at all other than those already mentioned.
    I have to agree with that 100%. Gordon’s game yesterday was brilliant. He looks like he’s enjoying his football and being part of this evolving club, no doubt he is a leader amongst them.
    The commentators (Voss the Toss) have got to stop focusing on his age. I couldn’t care less. The way he’s playing and his goal kicking ability is something we’ve never really enjoyed before.
    The value he brings compared to last year is incredible. Throw in Arrow who continues to improve and the entire forward pack and things are looking good.

Great to see the lack of injuries. Is that better personnel or have we just avoided the plague we experienced in past years ? Either way, it’s bloody great to be able to put a full strength side of the park each week.

The way this team is playing , is the way I’ve always hoped we would compete. We may not win every week , but we won’t die wondering if we keep this up.

Have to again say a massive thank you to Messrs Frizelle and Kelly for having faith in our club. Without them , who knows where we would be.

On to next week very tough game against the Panthers which will be another great test of this side.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooldog76 View Post
    Agree with this. Mead was a beast but he was never really given a run at fullback consistently. If the coaches had shown faith in him then I probably wouldn’t have made the comment.
    Your statement still stands. Gordon is the best Fullback we've had. Meady was a winger for the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Sorry to disagree but Gordon is a better fullback than Mead was ever going to be and has been for a while. I'm pleased that Meady is going well in the Super League but that comp is far behind what we have here.
    Not a shock, we pretty much dont agree on anything.

From World cup fullback team of the tournament til now Meads form has been better, he's in a garbage team, Gordon is not. Nothing to do with the quality of competition. His impact in defence and ball in hand has been better
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Take it to another thread. This is about Manly getting outclassed on the weekend.

Where are those insane ppl asking for Elgeys sacking now?

Form is temporary class is permanent.

He's going to be a wanted man next contract and I reckon Manly will pounce on him
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post

He's going to be a wanted man next contract and I reckon Manly will pounce on him
    I was one who voiced my concerns, and I am not frighten to admit it. He just needs to stay consistent throughout the year 2 games doesn't make a player all of a sudden a star but I am happy to be proven wrong

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post

With what money?