Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Match report.
    http://www.titans.com.au

If the Gold Coast Titans go places this season they may well look back on the day in Gladstone where star recruit Bryce Cartwright got his mojo back as a defining turning point.

After playing just one minute the previous week in the win over the Brisbane Broncos after a lacklustre start to his Titans career, Cartwright was a menacing presence on the edge in the Gold Coast’s 32-20 win over the Sea Eagles in front of 5135 fans in central Queensland.

While confidence comes and goes, class is permanent, and Cartwright flick pass in the 26th minute for Jai Arrow to score oozed skill and guile. It gave the Titans a crucial edge against a brave and injury-ravaged Sea Eagles.

The Titans gave their coach Garth Brennan some nervous moments and it took until the 79th minute to put Manly away, when Arrow scored his second.

Halves Kane Elgey and Ash Taylor backed up their superb performance against the Broncos while lock Arrow took another step towards a Maroons jersey in front of coach Kevin Walters.

The Sea Eagles had already lost Curtis Sironen and Kelepi Tanginoa for the season with ACL injuries before the match.

Fullback Tom Trbojevic failed a late fitness test, while winger Brad Parker complained of stomach cramps in the warm-up and was replaced by Jonathan Wright.

He became the Sea Eagles No.603 and the club’s second debutant on the day with bench forward Jack Gosiewski also playing his first NRL game for Manly, after six for South Sydney.

The Sea Eagles were celebrating inside the opening two minutes with a try to debutant Wright on the left.

The kicking wizardry of Taylor saw Jarrod Wallace score on the back of a kick and the scores level at 6-6.

Before the game Arrow told NRL.com about his appreciation for the Cartwright flick pass and that it wouldn’t be long before it was unveiled in a game to maximum impact.

With the Titans leading 8-6 in the first half, Cartwright unfurled with his signature play on the fifth tackle near the line and Arrow was the recipient.

Titans bench forward Morgan Boyle scored his first career try when Akuila Uate got smashed by Michael Gordon and coughed up possession with the Titans taking a 20-8 lead into the break.

Daly Cherry-Evans almost came back to bite the Gold Coast Titans on the backside again, this time with a length of the field intercept in the 55th minute when the Titans seemed certain to score.

Minutes later Brian Kelly had bridged the gap to just two points (22-20) after a dart up the middle from dummy half by Api Koroisau.

That set up a grand stand finish with Manly refusing to lay down.

Dylan Walker returned to the field for the Sea Eagles for the first time since the Prime Minister’s XIII clash in September last year after having surgery on a broken ankle and his shoulder.

Walker was tentative out in the centres but will only be better for the run.

The Titans, wooden spoon favourites with some pundits before the season kicked off, are now in the top eight and the best placed of the three Queensland sides.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Inactive User

Consecutive Wins over Brisbane and Manly. These are days to be savoured.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Consecutive Wins over Brisbane and Manly. These are days to be savoured.
    With these Coronas !! Great stuff

Inactive User

Massive shout out to the Gladstone Community who unlike the Toowoomba Community got right behind us.

Great win, but we still need a defibrillator in our merch pack. Jai Arrow is the buy of the season in my opinion. He’s so good in the middle. I said it in an earlier post, but Gordon is the best fullback we’ve had since Campbell and that has been a few years. We are starting to really look like a quality team and for me it feels weird getting two wins in a row. Here’s hoping for a third.
    The last time I saw a ball played the wrong way was Martin Bella in a state of origin game.

Good win. Have to think Arrow will go close to origin based on form this year. Definitely playing better than Papalii, Thaiday, Napa, Cooper.

Although we were awful against the Dragons, our 2 losses were against the 2 teams at the top of the table undefeated after 5 rounds. Also, despite the Dragons putting 50 on us, we still have a better for and against than the Broncos.

Thought Boyle looked better today. Made some impact in defence. Koni still a concern. If LG keeps up his form I wonder if Peachey plays in the centres next year. Some difficult decisions ahead with LG and Copley off contract at year's end. Personally I prefer Copley over Koni.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooldog76 View Post
    The last time I saw a ball played the wrong way was Martin Bella in a state of origin game.
    We had a huge laugh at that. Many comments were made as he allegedly passed a HIA test in the first half.

Good win by the Titans.

Two Wrights in the Eagles team equals a big Wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dooldog76 View Post
    Gordon is the best fullback we’ve had since Campbell and that has been a few years. We are starting to really look like a quality team and for me it feels weird getting two wins in a row. Here’s hoping for a third.
    If Mead was in this Titans setup he'd be providing as much if not more than what Gordon is, he's currently tearing up the Superleague and doing what he does best returning 100m tries
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

First Grader

Glad to come away with the win. Was curious as to why ash Taylor didn't try for any repeat sets when we were on their line, he has one of the best short kicking games around.

Arrow and Gordon WOW.
    Proctor tackled his **** off also.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Good win by the Titans.

Two Wrights in the Eagles team equals a big Wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

If Mead was in this Titans setup he'd be providing as much if not more than what Gordon is, he's currently tearing up the Superleague and doing what he does best returning 100m tries
    Agree with this. Mead was a beast but he was never really given a run at fullback consistently. If the coaches had shown faith in him then I probably wouldn’t have made the comment.

I see Barrett calling for Cherry wanker's return to Origin for QLD.
    Yep, these New South Welshman will try anything to win.

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    I see Barrett calling for Cherry wanker's return to Origin for QLD.
    Yep, these New South Welshman will try anything to win.
    There will be a time when the Maroons will be begging for him to play and I hope he Jamie Lyons their ass and refuses.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    Glad to come away with the win. Was curious as to why ash Taylor didn't try for any repeat sets when we were on their line, he has one of the best short kicking games around.
    Risk Vs Reward. I'm seeing this more often lately. Play out the set and if you don't score then they are playing from the 10 rather than 7 tackles from the quarter line. Trust the defence. I like it.

There will be a time when the Maroons will be begging for him to play and I hope he Jamie Lyons their ass and refuses.
    Dido on that Teke.

Actually in all honesty I think if the Cherry wanker ever plays for QLD again that would signal the decline of the QLD spirit and their dominance.
    Last edited by RavShamrock; 08-04-18 at 07:56 PM.

Sorry to disagree but Gordon is a better fullback than Mead was ever going to be and has been for a while. I'm pleased that Meady is going well in the Super League but that comp is far behind what we have here.

I thought the Titans win over the Broncos had a question mark as the Broncos (pleasingly) are playing terribly, but I thought Manly turned up to play and todays win had a lot more merit. It was great the Titans came through their patches of poor play and were back to finishing stronger by the end. Arrow and Gordon superb, and not too many bad performances at all other than those already mentioned.
    Last edited by Mexican titan; 08-04-18 at 08:49 PM.