Thumbs down Badel: Forget Coast, NRL gold is in Brisbane

Forget Coast, NRL gold is in Brisbane
    http://www.couriermail.com.au

LICENCED TO KILL: The Gold Coast’s struggles on and offfield should result in a NRL licence move to Brisbane.

WHEN he stepped into the furnace that is life as the ARL Commission chairman, Peter Beattie made a compelling statement about the NRL’s need to expand or die.

The ARLC would be prudent to consider another option – relocation.

Specifically, the code’s decision-makers should consider shifting the Gold Coast licence to establish a second NRL team in Brisbane.

This is not a knee-jerk reaction to the Titans’ 54-8 loss to the Dragons last week in Toowoomba. Most teams cop a hammering at some point.

The Titans will bounce back on the field, but whether they can truly flourish off it is the million-dollar question.

If the governing body is serious about maximising the potential of the NRL, it needs to consider the geographical challenges of the Gold Coast and the more prosperous opportunities in Brisbane.

As it stands, the Titans are a financial basket case.

And in a region littered with carcasses from a coterie of toplevel sports, no one can table a bulletproof argument that the area is commercially fertile enough to sustain an NRL team.

I truly hope the new owners, Rebecca Frizelle and Darryl Kelly, prove me wrong because they, along with CEO Graham Annesley and chairman Dennis Watt, are clever operators with a desire to succeed on the Gold Coast.

But if the Titans can’t turn a profit before the next TV deal in 2023, the NRL should close the doors and shift the licence to Brisbane.

Cold, hard figures underscore the struggle ahead.

Last year, the Titans lost $3.17 million. Since 2014, they have haemorraghed $12.62m.

This season, they will post another deficit, albeit significantly smaller given the generous $12.3 million grant from the NRL to each of the 16 clubs.

Where the red ink stops is anyone’s guess, but the one certainty is this: Brisbane is a bigger, more populated and more commercially robust market than the Gold Coast.

Surely someone on the Commission can see the absurdity in the NRL possessing just one team – the Brisbane Broncos – in Queensland’s most populous city.

Brisbane is home to 2.2 million people. The Gold Coast has a population of 577,000, many of whom are transient types more concerned with the bright lights and sights of Cavill Avenue.

The Broncos last year posted record revenue of $42 million, suggesting there are untapped millions and a slew of sponsorship opportunities for a second Brisbane team compared to the corporate battle the Titans wage every year.

If the NRL is concerned about losing a turf war with the AFL on the Gold Coast, they need not worry.

The Suns have the bark and bite of a French poodle, relying on ludicrous handouts from the AFL ($25 million last year) just to maintain some semblance of a heartbeat.

The Suns’ threat is minimal, and harnessed anyway by their existence in a smaller market.

Two NRL clubs in Brisbane would ostensibly crush the AFL’s Lions in the more critical southeast Queensland sector.

Of course, winning is a vital currency, and the Titans have lost their mojo. Since making the 2010 preliminary final, they have won just 64 of 172 games. Only Newcastle have won fewer games (62) over the same period.

The time is now for the Titans to put their stamp on the Gold Coast.

Otherwise, the NRL should walk away forever and give the Broncos a true competitor.

If the Titans can’t turn a profit before the next TV deal in 2023, the NRL should close the doors and shift the licence to Brisbane
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

One thing is for sure, we are running out of patience and not talking about Badel but I have noticed a distinct shift in attitude of NRL fans, if we don't make it work this time, there won't be much mercy and charity for us. So we need as many members as we can get. And it is alarming that considering this, we are struggling with just 7,364

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    One thing is for sure, we are running out of patience and not talking about Badel but I have noticed a distinct shift in attitude of NRL fans, if we don't make it work this time, there won't be much mercy and charity for us. So we need as many members as we can get. And it is alarming that considering this, we are struggling with just 7,364
    How many of those are "supporters" status members which is only the cost of and includes a ticket to a game?
    Until they show they can compete and win games the membership won't increase.

Inactive User

I wrote to the club last night about Badel’s Ongoing Coverage of us in the CM and the reply I got told me that Our Club In No Uncertain Terms Have Had a Gutful of Badel Too.

This from Mike Colman.

I reckon calls for the Gold Coast Titans to be relocated to Brisbane are off the mark. Brisbane might be able to maintain another NRL club but I don’t think packing up the Titans and sending them up the highway is the answer. The Gold Coast is a rugby league town, there is no question about that, and the NRL should do everything it can to continue to have a strong presence on the Glitter Strip. The problem with running a team on the Coast is just that – it’s on the Coast. The weather, the beaches and the lifestyle make it hard to attract fans away from the other natural attractions of one of Australia’s favourite holiday locations. Which is not to say that rugby league should walk away and leave the market open to the big-spending AFL. The game must remain on the Coast in some form or another, but I am not a big believer in relocation. Rugby league is a tribal game. Fans give their allegiance to a club that represents their town, region, or patch of dirt. Flying in a club from somewhere else and simply saying, “we are now yours, support us” never works in my opinion. I reckon another club could be representing Brisbane before too long, but it will be a brand-new entity, not an old one transplanted from somewhere else. What do YOU reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic Believer View Post
    How many of those are "supporters" status members which is only the cost of and includes a ticket to a game?
    Until they show they can compete and win games the membership won't increase.
    Quite a lot I would say.