Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

I'm really excited about the Dolphins getting in. I think they are the best bid. And I agree with Mr Bods, it's best for us. Gives us some breathing space. I guess the NRL believes that the Broncos will try and build a presence in the South West corridor.

Having Bennett as the coach sets the stage for a intense and riveting derby. He will be out for revenge and he helped build the Broncos from the ground up. Of course with a lot of help from people such as Cyril Connell.

Another Queensland legend is Dick Tosser Turner. He was Dolphins man. I remember reading that he put his own house on the line to help the South Queensland Crushers survive. They may be gone now. But I feel that today the universe righted a wrong and Dick would be smiling.

And when we face them, we are going to have some bad blood too. Remember the Gold Coast Dolphins?

Bring it on!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Just noticed that the Broncos have returned to their original Broncos workmark that they originally had. Something I liked and was very disappointed when they replaced it with a cheap copy of the Denver BRONCOS in 2001.

Perhaps this is a sign of the Broncos trying to reconnect with the glory of the 90s. I will also be interested to see if they try to move into the south/west corridor and into Ipswich.

Delighted the Titans have a partnership with Marsden BTW.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Also interesting to see what corporate partners they line up and what 3rd party deals they make. I saw Bundy already posting about them.

‘They will not be leaving’: Bellamy puts foot down in blunt warning to Dolphins
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/

Wayne Bennett and the Dolphins, you have been warned.

While a host of Storm stars may be on the hit list, Craig Bellamy has promised to block any contracted Melbourne players from leaving early for the new franchise.

Bennett, who is expected to sign a three-year deal with the Redcliffe-based club shortly, has spoken publicly about his desire to build a team with a “Queensland look”.

Storm five-eighth Cameron Munster would be one target along with fellow Origin stars Christian Welch, Felise Kaufusi and Harry Grant.

Brandon Smith has also been linked to the new franchise as he looks to make a big call on his future.

Welch, Kaufusi and Smith are both off-contract at the end of 2022 while Grant has a mutual option for 2023.

Munster is still contracted for the 2023 season and the Dolphins may have a tough time securing his signature if Bellamy’s warning is anything to go by.

“If they want someone still on contract, they will not be leaving unless we get something for them,” Bellamy told the Sydney Morning Herald.

“I’m not even sure what they can give us because they don’t have any players.

“We’re not just going to give a player away who fits into our system. And everyone at the Storm is on board with that opinion.”

Whether Munster fits that system remains to be seen, with the five-eighth axed from the leadership group and almost sacked over the ‘white substance’ drama.

Bellamy knows that Munster has spoken previously about the chance to return home to Queensland but pointed out the Dolphins are “not meant to be approaching our players until November 1”.

“If they’re not doing it publicly, they’re probably doing it privately.”

Regardless, Bellamy said he can take confidence in Melbourne’s systems and on-field success as giving the club a chance to compete with any potential offers.

“They [the Dolphins] will have a lot of money,” he said.

“If players are tempted by money, they will be a good chance of getting them. But there are other things besides money for some people.”

Bennett confirmed earlier in the week he would “certainly look” at Munster as a target for the new franchise should he be “available or keen to come home”.

“Cameron is someone I have great admiration for,” he told News Corp.

“Predominantly, the Dolphins will want a Queensland look, but you always have to sign the best players and Cameron ticks both those boxes.”

Munster himself told News Corp in August he was open to playing in the expansion side under Bennett.

“For sure I will consider it,” Munster said at the time.

“I know Wayne would be very keen to coach a second Brisbane team. He told me in Origin camp (last November) he is keen on a second Brisbane team, so it would be a very competitive side if Wayne was in charge.

“It’s a big decision for me.

“The Storm are a great club and they gave me my first opportunity to play NRL.

“I am a pretty loyal bloke and I will definitely give them an opportunity to keep me, but with the new Brisbane team coming along, it will be a tough conversation to have.”

Speaking of tough conversations, Rabbitohs CEO Blake Solly said earlier in the week he is hoping there will be no need for any with Bennett amid fears of a poaching raid.

Cody Walker has been floated as a potential target for the franchise but Solly told News Corp he was confident he had an understanding with Bennett.

“I think over the three years with Wayne it’s never been about agreements, it’s always been about the relationships between Wayne and the club,” he told News Corp.

“We would never want to rely on that agreement and we think Wayne would feel the same way.”

While the Dolphins may have a fight on their hands to secure any contracted Storm or Rabbitohs players, it looks like Eels star Reagan Campbell-Gillard could be heading north.

His management confirmed earlier in the week they will not be taking up his option in 2023 and instead will go to the open market, with the Dolphins “in the equation”.

Don't worry, the Storm can always fall back on their stock of Victorian juniors.

Dolphins swamped by corporate offers in stunning surge 18 months out from first game
    https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/

It’s not just big-name players who are knocking on the Dolphins’ door as they prepare to enter the NRL. The new boys have been ‘bowled over’ by an unexpected deluge of sponsor interest.

The big sponsorship offers are already rolling in for the Dolphins who have been swamped by corporate support for their NRL entry.

The Dolphins are just days away from naming their major sponsor for their 2023 entry to the NRL in a deal clinched before they were announced as the competition’s 17th team last week.

But club officials have also been taken aback by the unexpected deluge of corporate interest which has followed their highly-publicised entrance to the big league.

“We have been bowled over by the corporate side,’’ Dolphins general manager Terry Reader told News Corp.

“We already had a number of agreements in place with our submission, but we have been amazed by the interest we have had from a number of big companies who want to be part of the club.’’

Buoyed by the imminent signing of coach Wayne Bennett, the Dolphins stand to benefit from the “unlocking’’ of the Brisbane NRL sponsorship market which had previously been dominated by the Broncos.

Where the Broncos would often sign exclusive sponsorships with one company in a particular sector, there is now greater scope for rival firms to gain an entry to the local NRL market.

When the South Queensland Crushers emerged in 1995, they intentionally courted and signed rivals to Broncos brands – Fourex Gold to the Broncos’ Power Brewing and Qantas Airlines to the Broncos’ Ansett.

“We have a number of backers who are not involved in rugby league already and that will mean we are helping to grow the game and will not cannibalise the current sides,’’ Reader said.

Reader made no apologies for the club’s decision to eliminate Redcliffe from its name and simply settle for The Dolphins.

He said the Redcliffe Dolphins will always exist in the second tier Queensland Cup but the Dolphins had a “massive opportunity to have broader appeal.’’

“We will honour or past but this is about the future. When players run out at Moreton Daily Stadium they see a sign saying “always a Dolphin’ and we will always be the Dolphins.’’

“People talk about the Bulldogs, the Raiders and the Roosters and they don’t usually mention the geographic region. That is how they are often referenced today.’’

The Dolphins are keen to honour Redcliffe’s most famous former player, Arthur Beetson, in a club launching first round match with the Roosters which would be played for the Beetson Cup.

They have already spoken to the Roosters about the concept, though there is also a feeling that the new club could be launched with a local derby against the Broncos.

Beetson had an iconic presence with the Dolphins as the player of the year in the club’s first premiership year in 1965 and returning to lead them to a heartbreaking grand final loss in 1981.

CLASSIC SPORTSWEAR PARTNER WITH THE DOLPHINS ON THEIR NRL JOURNEY
    https://www.classicsports.com.au/cla...cYQAlVda2ATcDs

Classic Sportswear are proud to announce an exciting new partnership with the Queensland-based Dolphins until the end of the 2026 NRL season, after last week being declared as the successful bidder to join the National Rugby League as the 17th team in 2023.

The partnership, which commences immediately, will see Classic Sportswear exclusively produce a range of Dolphins merchandise to be available online and in store for Christmas 2021, and then actively support the Dolphins during their first four seasons in the NRL, beginning in 2023.

Classic Sportswear, current apparel sponsors to the Redcliffe Dolphins at Intrust Super Cup level, will now extend this partnership to become the Official Apparel Partner of the Dolphins at all levels of their football operation, producing all apparel for the Dolphins NRL squad, the Intrust Super Cup team and development academies that support men’s and women’s player pathways.

Synonymous with Rugby League, Classic Sportswear was established in 1934 and has been delivering high-performance sportswear for 87 years. Classic Sportswear is 100% Australian owned and is recognised throughout the sporting industry for exceptionally high-quality products for elite athletes and fans.

Michael McDonald, General Manager at Classic Sportswear, said he was excited at the opportunity to partner with the Dolphins and support their NRL journey to the 2023 competition.

“As an incumbent partner of the Redcliffe Dolphins in the Intrust Super Cup we are well aware of the strength of the Dolphins brand and their wonderful history and heritage. When the opportunity arose to extend our partnership with the Dolphins in support of their bid to join the NRL we didn’t hesitate and were very impressed with their vision for the future” said McDonald.

“The Classic Sportswear brand has been part of the fabric of Rugby League for much of its existence, and we are very proud of our history of producing elite sports apparel since 1934.

“This partnership is unique in many respects; it sees the oldest apparel company in Australia team up with the newest professional sporting franchise in the country. We see great synergies between our two brands, particularly the way the Dolphins and Classic harness our history while continuing to evolve and contemporise.

“There has been plenty of work going on behind the scenes prior to the NRL’s announcement so that Dolphins merchandise can be available to supporters before Christmas this year. And we are really looking forward to being front and centre with the Dolphins when they make their NRL debut in early 2023” said McDonald.

Dolphins Bid Director Terry Reader is excited about the partnership with Classic Sportswear and thanked them for their show of support for the new NRL franchise.

“Classic Sportswear are one the leading high performance sportswear brands in Australia with a rich Rugby League heritage, and you only have to look at the NRL clubs and whole of game programs that they currently partner with to see their strength and coverage across our game” said Reader.

“The fact that they were prepared to make a commitment to investing into our NRL ambitions before a licence had even been confirmed was a great show of confidence and faith in the Dolphins brand and our vision for the future.

“Classic’s partnership commitment to the Dolphins across all of our football programs until 2026 formed a key element of our bid submission to the NRL, so we are excited to now be able to bring this partnership to life following last week’s announcement.

“It’s been great working with the team at Classic Sportswear and to have official Dolphins NRL product on the shelves before Christmas will be a great outcome for our supporters. We look forward to working with the team at Classic as we head towards our inaugural NRL season” said Reader.

An initial range of official Dolphins NRL merchandise will be available in store and online prior to Christmas 2021. To receive regular updates and exclusive access to pre-sale items register today at www.dolphinsnrl.com.au

Rep Player

Being a Gold Coast lad, my heart will always be with the Titans, but I'm going to follow the Dolphins as my second team. I have no connection to the area other than it being part of Queensland, but it will be a good reason to watch more footy. Also will give me nostalgia for the early years of the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    I have no connection to the area other than it being part of Queensland, but it will be a good reason to watch more footy. Also will give me nostalgia for the early years of the Titans.
    Great. I'll have someone else to chat with about the Dolphins. I'm a TITAN 100% but out of the other three QLD teams is definitely Dolphins that interest me. We should see some knock on effects with the other clubs too. Things will be heating.

I'm actually a proud north Brisbane boy. Grew up maybe 15mins from Redcliffe. Also a long while ago, I worked at the Dolphins. So I have a pretty intimate knowledge of the place and personalities. I have a lot of time for Chairman Bob Jones. A real rugby league man who always valued my work/support of Valleys Diehards and former players.

Wayne Bennett named inaugural coach of The Dolphins ahead of franchise's NRL 2023 debut
    http:///www.abc.ent.au

Wayne Bennett has officially been confirmed as The Dolphins head coach and will lead the Redcliffe-based team into their inaugural NRL season in 2023 after signing a four-year deal.

Key points:
    • Wayne Bennett and the Dolphins can begin negotiations with players from November 1
    • The Dolphins were announced as the NRL's 17th club earlier this month and will formally enter the competition in 2023
    • Dolphins chairman Bob Jones says the annnouncement of Bennett's signing is a "monumental day" for the club
    • Bennett has won seven NRL premierships during his time with the Brisbane Broncos and St George Illawarra, and is coming off a losing grand final with South Sydney in 2021.

He was the inaugural coach at the Broncos in 1988, a role he will now reprise up the road in Redcliffe.

"I feel very privileged actually," Bennett said.

"At the start of the season, I had no idea this would happen, none at all, whatsoever.

"It's been quite a journey and I'm pleased to be back in Brisbane, I'm pleased to be here.

"I recognise that it's my job to come in here and work within this framework. When we started in 1988 at the Broncos ... we had no club, we had no ground, we had virtually nothing.

"But it's a wonderful, wonderful facility here. Extremely well run, very successful. So it's a different context.

"The job's still the same but a different context."

The Dolphins — whose full name is yet to be determined — were announced as the NRL's 17th club earlier this month and will formally enter the competition in 2023.

'Monumental day'
    "It's a monumental day in the Dolphins history," Dolphins chairman Bob Jones said.

"We have a proud history and we've had some wonderful coaches over a very long time and we're here today to announce that we've signed arguably the best coach of all time.

"We're really excited about it and we're excited about Wayne's plans for the future — we couldn't be more delighted."

No player talk
    Bennett is yet to finalise his coaching team and his first role at the club will be identifying key recruitment targets to build a competitive squad.

The Dolphins can begin negotiations with players from November 1, with Queensland State of Origin stars Tino Fa'asuamaleui, Cameron Munster and Christian Welch among those who will be on the radar.

Bennett refused to discuss specific players but said securing top talent would be the priority.

"You've got a $9.5 million salary cap," he said. "You know you've got to get some marquee players, so that'll be our priority, to get those and build the other players around them.

"One of the differences here in this situation: In '88 there was a lot of State of Origin players that were playing in Brisbane club football, and a number from this club, that came to the Broncos to start that.

"We don't have that luxury this time.

"They're all playing in the NRL now ,at [other] clubs, so we've got to work through that and come up with the best roster we possibly can."

Dolphins boss fires back at $10m ‘bulls***’ as Bennett presser hijacked by name controversy
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...1af810fd752a20

Looking forward to seeing them bring home some Maroons fro. down south. I'd really like to hope that we won't be affected too much, Bennett may be a draw but so is Holbrook by all accounts.

Rumoured to be a leaked design of the Dolphins jersey.

Get to know the Dolphins
    Get to know what drives the NRL's newest team, the Dolphins, ahead of their inclusion into the Telstra Premiership in 2023
    https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/10/20/...-the-dolphins/

Hands off: Manly shoot down hopes of Dolphins attempting to lure DCE home
    https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/

Manly owner Scott Penn has moved to end any hopes The Dolphins might have of luring Queensland State of Origin skipper Daly Cherry-Evans back to his home town.

Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett spoke this week about “culture” needing to be the priority and Cherry-Evans would be the perfect candidate to help drive the supercoach’s standards.

Cherry-Evans played with Redcliffe as a kid, as did his father Troy, and loved his time playing under Bennett during the successful Origin series last year.

Apart from being a winner on the field, the 32-year-old is a role model off the field and a doting family man, which makes him an attractive proposition for a new club trying to attract sponsors.

However, Penn does not even want Cherry-Evans being in the conversation to join the Dolphins, and vowed to make the sure the No.7 finishes a “Sea Eagle for life”.

Melbourne issued a similar “hands-off” edict to Redcliffe about Harry Grant and Cameron Munster.

With his eight-year, $10 million mega deal to expire at the end of 2023 – the year Redcliffe enter the competition – Cherry-Evans and Manly have already commenced preliminary discussions that will see him stay another year, but more likely two seasons.

“It’s definitely our plan to make sure Daly finishes a one-club player,” Penn told The Sun-Herald. “He’s our club captain and we want him to win another comp for us and help bring the young guys through.

“Of course there is that [history with Redcliffe], but he’s been with us since he was 17 or 18, his family is well entrenched on the northern beaches and it would be a big move.

“We have unfinished business, and that will be at the front of his mind. We won a comp 10 years ago, but it’s been a dry argument since. I’m sure he’s keen to prove a point and make sure he goes out on top.

“We want him to stay. It’s only a matter of time before we work through the details.”

Bennett will look to finalise his coaching staff and then turn his sights to his playing roster. He needs a marquee man to help pave the way for other players to follow suit.

Munster and Brandon Smith have both been touted, as has Parramatta’s Reed Mahoney, while Cherry-Evans’ name has been mentioned by a few respected figures up north.

Cherry-Evans told the Herald earlier this year he had fond memories of Redcliffe as he prepared to play an NRL game with the Sea Eagles in his old backyard.

“My best memory was playing there at half-time during a Queensland Cup game,” he said. “I can still remember scoring a try as a kid. It gave me the biggest buzz. They had decent crowds at those games. I would have been a seven or eight years old.”

Redcliffe will this week reveal their front-of-jersey sponsor, while the Central Queensland Capras – the Rockhampton-based club where Munster grew up – have been added as a feeder club alongside the Redcliffe Dolphins.

Dolphins officials have already spoken about the fact Sydney-based players got the chance to experience a Queensland winter because of the competition being shifted north due to COVID-19 will help with their sales pitch.

Penn, whose family have ploughed millions of dollars into the Sea Eagles, welcomed the addition of a 17th club, provided “we’re growing the game and driving additional revenues for the game”.

The Sea Eagles bombed out in the preliminary finals and Penn knows the young players who were given their first taste of September football will only benefit the club in the years ahead.

Meanwhile, Manly players are expected to move into the club’s new $33 million centre of excellent at the end of February, in time for the new campaign, after COVID-19 disrupted construction.

Why Dolphins must sign Kalyn Ponga instead of Cameron Munster
    https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/

The Dolphins should forget about Cameron Munster and target these five players, headed by Maroons star Kalyn Ponga, to launch their inaugural NRL season, writes TRAVIS MEYN.

Wayne Bennett should snub Melbourne wild child Cameron Munster and build the foundation of the Dolphins for long-term NRL success by making Kalyn Ponga the face of the club.

Bennett has started eyeing potential recruits for the Dolphins’ NRL launch in 2023 after this week securing a four-year contract as the club’s foundation coach.

While assembling a support staff and off-field structures will be crucial to the team’s fortunes, the Dolphins’ inaugural squad will be critical to generating immediate support.

Kayo is your ticket to the best local and international sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Start Your Free Trial >

The Dolphins must focus on creating as big a fan base as possible for their debut season in the NRL and then look to consolidate and build on it in years to come.

To do that, they must nail the mix of youth, experience and star power to create the culture Bennett says is most critical to a club’s long-term success.

“Culture, every time. The talent will come,” Bennett said when asked what is the most important factor in building a club.

“We’ll train the talent, we’ll find the talent but it’s who we are and what we stand for that’s important I think.

“We’ve got a $9.5 million salary cap and you know you’ve got to get some marquee players so that will be our priority to get those and build those players around them.”

Despite his on-field talents and State of Origin stardom, Munster isn’t the right player to make the face of the Dolphins.

Putting aside his recent off-field dramas, which included entering rehab following the Storm’s white powder trio scandal, Munster is contracted at Melbourne until the end of 2023.

That means little in the NRL and he could seek a release from the Storm to launch the Dolphins, albeit at a price given Melbourne’s attitude towards letting contracted players go.

It’s hard to see Storm coach Craig Bellamy wanting to do his great rival Bennett too many favours.

If Munster did launch the Dolphins in 2023, he will be 28 and expect at least a $1 million-a-season salary to make the move north. On the back of his recent behaviour, and average on-field performances in 2021, it is a risky investment.

Bennett will back himself to get Munster’s career back on track, but he is a risk the Dolphins should not be investing in.

The big money should be going to Ponga.

Ponga will turn 25 in 2023 and has more wide-reaching appeal across demographics than Munster. Kids love him and he is yet to realise his true potential due to Newcastle’s struggles with consistency. He would thrive under Bennett and a strong structure at the Dolphins.

Ponga will be hitting the sweet spot in his career when the Dolphins launch and is a genuine NRL superstar that is starting to mature.

Bennett could complement Ponga’s brilliance with the experience and tenacity of South Sydney five-eighth Cody Walker.

Walker, 31, will be nearing the end of his career but could provide the leadership needed in the spine to nurture the club’s young talent.

After coaching Souths for the past three years, Bennett has told the Rabbitohs they have nothing to worry about when it comes to him poaching players. But this is professional sport.

Parramatta hooker Reed Mahoney will also turn 25 in 2023 and is a highly-rated by Immortal-in-waiting Cameron Smith.

Smith lauded Mahoney’s competitive nature and he hails from the Sunshine Coast region the Dolphins are trying to infiltrate. He could be a 10-year player for the club.

The Dolphins then need experience, leadership and an enforcer up front.

Melbourne prop Christian Welch has had issues with concussion but is a cleanskin, smart player from Brisbane with tremendous leadership qualities.

The Dolphins must also make a play for Gold Coast forward Tino Fa’asuamaleaui.

Fa’asuamaleaui, 21, is another long-term option who hails from Gympie and has been touted as a future Queensland Origin captain by Gorden Tallis.

With this fab five in place, the Dolphins will have the bedrock to attract immediate interest and set themselves up for long-term success with a strong junior base.

“I want the good players to come here and want to feel comfortable here but there’s just more than me being here that will bring them here,” Bennett said.

“The thing I want to establish here is a trust and the players can feel this is a place they’re going to be comfortable and welcomed at and build a relationship with staff and players.

“My dream is to have players come in as six-year-olds and play NRL, I really mean that. I can’t think of anything more exciting for a young player to know they can play for the Redcliffe Dolphins, come through the system and play first grade.”

FIVE PLAYERS THE DOLPHINS MUST TARGET

KALYN PONGA

The Queensland Origin fullback is technically off-contract for the 2023 season and would be the ideal candidate to be the face of the Dolphins. Ponga, 23, has untapped potential and could be the best player in the game in the right system. He has age on his side, is adored by fans and would thrive under a coach like Wayne Bennett. He is a better choice than Cameron Munster to be the Dolphins’ marquee signing.

TINO FA’ASUAMALEAUI

The Gold Coast Titans enforcer has all the ingredients to be a terrific acquisition for the Titans. At 21, Fa’asuamaleaui is only in the infancy of his career but is already a State of Origin regular for Queensland and was the Titans’ best player this year. Fa’asuamaleaui hails from the Gympie region which would help the Dolphins’ reach on the north coast and could become the club’s on-field enforcer.

REED MAHONEY

The Parramatta hooker has been given a ringing endorsement by Queensland legend Cameron Smith, who is a huge fan of his competitiveness and tenacity. Mahoney, 23, is a long-term option for the Dolphins. He was on the cusp of playing State of Origin this year and is on the rise. The Dolphins need to land some key spine players and Mahoney looks like the best dummy-half option on the market along with Melbourne’s Brandon Smith.

CODY WALKER

Walker is 31 and will be nearing the end of his career, but he is exactly the type of playmaker the Dolphins need. The South Sydney star has a strong relationship with Wayne Bennett and could provide the experience and leadership needed in a key position. Walker would be signing his final NRL contract from 2023 and he could make a real difference at the Dolphins.