NRL dropped ball on Bombers’ bid
http://www.couriermail.com.au

NICK Livermore is the human face of the NRL expansion debate.

His personal story, amid the half-baked promises and millions of dollars wasted, is why the NRL must choose its words on expansion carefully as pressure builds on the governing body to give Queensland a fourth NRL team.

Exactly a month ago, new Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter Beattie had a simple message: The NRL must expand or die.

Last Friday Livermore, the chief executive of the Brisbane Bombers NRL bid, conceded his faith in rugby league’s expansion dream had died.

He informed Bombers directors he was walking away.

After eight years of toil, having invested an estimated 8000 hours and more than $100,000 of his own money in a passionate quest to get the Bombers into the NRL, Livermore is sick of waiting.

“I’m out,” the son of the late, great former Queensland Rugby League chief Ross Livermore said.

“Peter Beattie says expansion could happen but I won’t be holding my breath.

“I can’t justify any more of my own time in pursuing something that may or may not happen.

“We keep hearing Brisbane will get a second team and it’s not a matter of if, but when.

“But the reality is we are eight years down the track and we are still waiting.

“It was a really tough decision to walk away. I have given nearly a decade of my life hoping to be part of a Brisbane Bombers team in the NRL ... but I can’t see it happening for a long time.”

Livermore’s personal experience is a cautionary tale for league’s decision-makers.

Beattie’s sentiments on expansion are understandable, and undoubtedly well-intentioned, but it is becoming increasingly pointless for the code’s heavy hitters to mention the ‘E’ word if they are not serious about doing it.

The NRL is caught in a problematic no-man’s land on expansion.

Geographically, the code must expand, but NRL and ARLC bosses face the difficult task of juggling the need to grow the game with placating bratty, self-absorbed Sydney clubs who continue to haemorrhage millions.

Like dole bludgers sucking cash out of Centrelink, Sydney clubs are content to rot in a world of welfare where annual handouts from League Central are their life rafts to NRL survival.

The code will never truly flourish unless Beattie and NRL CEO Todd Greenberg play hardball with Sydney clubs.

The biggest loser is Queensland. And the impact is felt in good men such as Livermore, Ipswich bid chief Steve Johnson and central Queensland’s Geoff Murphy, who for too long have been fed empty rhetoric by NRL bosses who tickle and tease the expansion bids.

Livermore claims the NRL has three times indicated the Bombers were close to being added to the big league.

First, in 2013. Then 2015. Then 2018. Now the code is considering expansion for 2023, in line with the next TV rights deal.

“Todd Greenberg has been the most honest of any NRL CEO,” Livermore said.

“He had the guts to say to me that at times the NRL has misrepresented to the bid teams where the game is going on expansion.

“I’m not bitter. I’m just disappointed in the lack of honesty.

“We launched our bid in December 2010 and in that time, I’ve had talks with eight senior figures.

“I’ve said to the bosses several times – just give us all an exact time frame (for expansion) and announce which teams are getting an NRL licence.

“Unfortunately, the powerbase of Sydney clubs is holding back the game’s growth, which is a great shame.”