Thread: Jai Arrow

Default Jai Arrow

Jai Arrow could follow Jarrod Wallace from fringe NRL player to Origin star
    https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au

JAI Arrow could be on the fast track to a Maroons jersey if he continues to follow the path of Gold Coast teammate Jarrod Wallace.

Last year, Wallace switched from the Broncos to Titans for more opportunities and took full advantage, playing out of his skin to bang down the door for Origin selection.

Arrow’s story in the last few months has largely mirrored that, changing clubs to come down the M1 and then proving to be a standout in his first two Titans appearances including running 210m in a losing effort against the Warriors last Saturday.

“It’s exactly what I knew he was going to do,” Wallace said of his fellow ex-Bronco.

“He’s had the best pre-season he has ever had … he’s not the biggest front-rower getting around but he has been holding his own and doing what he needed to do.

“I’m proud of what he has done.”

Wallace backed Arrow to follow in his footsteps and rise to the next level.

“I know he is going to have a big year and anything can happen off the back of a big year,” he said.

“You saw me last year, I had a good year and I was just lucky enough to get picked in the Origin side.

“If he keeps doing what he is doing, there is definitely a chance there for him.”

Wallace will play his first game of the season on Sunday against St George Illawarra in Toowoomba, having missed the opening two rounds through suspension.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Arrow shoots straight about respect for Brennan
    http://www.nrl.com

Jai Arrow is running through brick walls for Garth Brennan and has revealed how a master psychological ploy by the Gold Coast Titans coach has inspired his solid early season form.

The tough as teak middle forward has been the most consistent in the Titans pack in the opening four rounds of the Telstra Premiership and his assertive performances have him positioned as a genuine Queensland Maroons bolter.

When the 22-year-old was nursing broken ribs in the pre-season and was next to no chance of being right for round one, Brennan publicly stated Arrow would be selected if declared fit.

''I read where Garth said I was in in his team for round one if I was right and that just gave me a massive boost and made me work even harder,'' Arrow told NRL.com.

''It made me want to perform because I didn't expect anything from Garth.''

Arrow had broken his ribs a week out from the first trial when Brennan made his stunning pronouncement.

''They said I'd be out for six weeks but I played the first round against Canberra, so around four weeks earlier than I was supposed to,'' Arrow said.

''After every game they've pulled up a bit stiff but I'm not going to let a few ribs worry me.

''I haven't needled them at all. I put a pad on for the first round against Canberra and came through alright so I thought 'stuff it, I won't wear it from now on'. So I've just grown in confidence from there.''

Arrow was still doing modified contact leading into round two but told the physios he wanted to get stuck into full contact at training ''because that is where the hard work comes from.''

Arrow left the Broncos for the Titans at the end of last year unsure what he'd let himself into.

''The key thing for me leaving Brissie was that I wanted a starting spot and with Josh McGuire being there I knew I had an opportunity here to play more minutes and better footy,'' he said.

''Neil Henry had signed me so it was pretty daunting coming down here not knowing who the coach or the coaching staff were going to be or knowing many of the players.

“Now I've got to know Garth and his staff I wouldn’t change it for the world."

Arrow didn’t want to leave south-east Queensland and the Gold Coast was the perfect fit after he played all his junior football at the Burleigh Bears.

His name has been mentioned several times by Maroons coach Kevin Walters, who has made it clear that Arrow's relative inexperience wouldn't count against him.

''That is a massive rap from Kevvie and if I ever did get a chance to play Origin it would be a dream come true,'' Arrow said.

Arrow doesn't care whether he plays front-row or lock but said he wanted to be known as a player who ''gets all that hard work done that no-one likes doing.''

Arrow said he knew he'd have to maintain his form against an injury-hit Manly Sea Eagles on Sunday in Gladstone where opposite number Jake Trbojevic awaits.

''Jake's played lock for Australia so he is definitely good competition for me to come against this week and I am looking forward to the challenge," Arrow said.

''I can't wait for Sunday and I'm ready to rip in.''

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Arrow shoots straight about respect for Brennan

Jai Arrow is running through brick walls for Garth Brennan and has revealed how a master psychological ploy by the Gold Coast Titans coach has inspired his solid early season form.

The tough as teak middle forward has been the most consistent in the Titans pack in the opening four rounds of the Telstra Premiership and his assertive performances have him positioned as a genuine Queensland Maroons bolter.

When the 22-year-old was nursing broken ribs in the pre-season and was next to no chance of being right for round one, Brennan publicly stated Arrow would be selected if declared fit.

''I read where Garth said I was in in his team for round one if I was right and that just gave me a massive boost and made me work even harder,'' Arrow told NRL.com.

''It made me want to perform because I didn't expect anything from Garth.''

Arrow had broken his ribs a week out from the first trial when Brennan made his stunning pronouncement.

''They said I'd be out for six weeks but I played the first round against Canberra, so around four weeks earlier than I was supposed to,'' Arrow said.

''After every game they've pulled up a bit stiff but I'm not going to let a few ribs worry me.

''I haven't needled them at all. I put a pad on for the first round against Canberra and came through alright so I thought 'stuff it, I won't wear it from now on'. So I've just grown in confidence from there.''

Arrow was still doing modified contact leading into round two but told the physios he wanted to get stuck into full contact at training ''because that is where the hard work comes from.''

Arrow left the Broncos for the Titans at the end of last year unsure what he'd let himself into.

''The key thing for me leaving Brissie was that I wanted a starting spot and with Josh McGuire being there I knew I had an opportunity here to play more minutes and better footy,'' he said.

''Neil Henry had signed me so it was pretty daunting coming down here not knowing who the coach or the coaching staff were going to be or knowing many of the players.

“Now I've got to know Garth and his staff I wouldn’t change it for the world."

Arrow didn’t want to leave south-east Queensland and the Gold Coast was the perfect fit after he played all his junior football at the Burleigh Bears.

His name has been mentioned several times by Maroons coach Kevin Walters, who has made it clear that Arrow's relative inexperience wouldn't count against him.

''That is a massive rap from Kevvie and if I ever did get a chance to play Origin it would be a dream come true,'' Arrow said.

Arrow doesn't care whether he plays front-row or lock but said he wanted to be known as a player who ''gets all that hard work done that no-one likes doing.''

Arrow said he knew he'd have to maintain his form against an injury-hit Manly Sea Eagles on Sunday in Gladstone where opposite number Jake Trbojevic awaits.

''Jake's played lock for Australia so he is definitely good competition for me to come against this week and I am looking forward to the challenge," Arrow said.

''I can't wait for Sunday and I'm ready to rip in.''

https://www.nrl.com/

Walters targets Arrow

BOOM Gold Coast lock Jai Arrow has emerged as a bolter for a Queensland Origin jumper with the Titans tearaway outperforming nearly every current Maroons forward.

Arrow has had an outstanding start to his first season with the Titans, starring as one of their best players in the opening five rounds to help the Gold Coast into sixth spot on the NRL ladder.

The former Bronco has been praised for his consistency and ability to deliver even when the Titans have struggled.

And now his form has made Kevin Walters stand up and take notice, with the Queensland coach admitting Arrow is putting pressure on the incumbent Maroons pack.

After the opening five rounds, Arrow is outplaying the competition, particularly in attack, averaging 156m a game off 17 runs.

He has also made eight offloads and 11 tackle busts.

In comparison, Broncos lock Josh McGuire is averaging 124m a match while Cowboy Coen Hess, last year’s Maroons bolter, is the next best for offloads with four.

Arrow, 22, is also a defensive workhorse with an average of 26.8 tackles a game.

Walters, approaching his third series as Maroons coach, said he had been impressed by Arrow’s form and maturity in a demanding position.

“He can certainly put some pressure on,” Walters said of Arrow’s Origin chances.

“He’s a younger footballer but it doesn’t put him behind anyone. He’s showing a lot of maturity. He’s been the Titans’ leading player and leading forward and you need guys like that to stand up.

“He will be ready for (Origin) if the opportunity does come. He’s had some really good performances and done lots of work but it’s the quality of that work that’s impressive.”

Walters has some big selection decisions to make this year, with Cowboys co-captain Matt Scott to return from a knee injury and Raiders prop Josh Papalii sent to reserve grade last week.

Melbourne’s Tim Glasby was a shock selection last year and is under pressure to retain his berth while Arrow could be irresistible if he continues his sensational form.

Walters was particularly happy with the 99kg Arrow’s efforts in the front-row in Round 2 and the way he “stood up” to the Warriors pack.

Arrow will make just his 30th NRL appearance against Penrith on Sunday.

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

Junior

You would think that with Gillett out for 3 months that there would have to be a spot for him somewhere.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by ja4220 View Post
    You would think that with Gillett out for 3 months that there would have to be a spot for him somewhere.
    Agreed, unless Walters brings back Guerra.

Junior

With the likely injury to McGuire, Arrow goes to the head of queue.

In-form Arrow happy to remain in Wallace's shadow
    http://www.nrl.com

Gold Coast Titans lock Jai Arrow, the most impressive Queensland middle-forward in the first eight rounds of 2018, is adamant team-mate Jarrod Wallace should remain ahead of him in the Origin pecking order.

Arrow has been nothing short of phenomenal and he was again outstanding in Gold Coast's 10-9 loss to the Sharks, running for 194 metres and making 38 tackles in his 58 minutes on the field.

The 22-year-old moved to the Gold Coast from the Broncos in a carbon-copy career move to the one Wallace made last season. Both are Gold Coast juniors who came home after becoming typecast as interchange men in Brisbane, wanting to make their mark as middle men who could play long stretches of quality football.

Wallace, 26, made his Origin debut for Queensland in Game Two last year, such was his form in his first handful of games for the Titans, and Arrow has been equally impressive this year.

Yet he admits, for now, he should remain in Wallace's shadow, although he'd love to one day play alongside his mate in a maroon jersey.

"Jarrod did a great job last year for the Origin team, and I hope he is there this year. I think he should be a step ahead of me," Arrow said.

"I'm only a young guy who has come down from Brisbane to prove myself and play long minutes. I am more worried about the Titans and what we do here, and I have never really thought about Origin.

"Jay-Wal [Wallace] was a big part of the reason I came down to the club and I look up to him as the leader of the pack. He came down from Brisbane and played outstanding footy and he got that opportunity in Origin and took it with both hands.

"My sole focus is to play good footy for the Titans, I'm a pretty straight forward guy who just knuckles down with the job I have in front of me.

"I'm enjoying my footy, I'm loving every minute I'm getting. I have looked at what Jay-Wal has done and it's a pretty big boost for not only him, but me as well. I really like seeing my mates do well and I try to jump on the back of that."

Wallace reciprocated the admiration and says if 22-year-old Arrow was being considered by Maroons selectors, he would handle the step up.

"He is playing very good footy and if the selectors thought he deserved selection and he could do a job they need him to do, that's up to Kevvie Walters," Wallace said.

Titans prop Jarrod Wallace.
    Titans prop Jarrod Wallace.
    ŠJason O'Brien/NRL Photos
    "I hope I'm there after playing last year but if they choose him in front of me, that's their choice. He's been nothing but outstanding in every game. Tonight he hurt his back and they pretty much had to prize him off the field. It's such a testament to him that he put in such a big effort and without a doubt he deserves a Queensland jumper in the future."

Wallace says the ability of the pair to instantly step up and play long minutes was as much a power of the mind, as a physical adaption.

"We just knew we could do it; it's a mindset," he said. "At Brisbane, we didn't have to do it but we knew we could. We'd done it in Queensland Cup and under-20s. We have both worked our ****s off to get where we are and handle the extra demands."

It was two big plays by Arrow in the final 10 minutes that almost won the Titans the match. He charged down a Chad Townsend kick and Konrad Hurrell almost gained possession after the ball rebounded upfield 20 metres. Then a 25-metre drive upfield by Arrow gave the Titans field position for Ash Taylor to level the scores at 9-9 with a field goal.

"Jai's effort tonight was the epitome of the Anzac round and what it means," said Wallace. "He put his body on the line right to the end, working for his mates no matter how tired he was."

Arrow has fantastic shot at Origin berth
    http://www.couriermail.com.au

Canberra’s Josh Papalii will face Titans’ Jai Arrow today at GIO Stadium and (inset) Arrow during his time with Josh McGuire at the Broncos. Main picture: AAP IMAGE

LESSONS learned from a Queensland enforcer has steeled Titans ironman Jai Arrow as he braces for a State of Origin showdown with Raiders hulk Josh Papalii today in Canberra.

The Titans-Raiders clash at GIO Stadium will feature an intriguing subplot when rival locks Arrow and Papalii square off in a duel that will shape their Maroons’ selection hopes for Origin I.

Arrow is in the frame for an Origin debut after a great start to the season at his new club, while Maroons incumbent Josh Papalii is back in contention after being axed to reserve grade last month.

With Josh McGuire (ankle) racing the clock to be fit for the series opener on June 6, Arrow could be the man to replace him, fuelled by tips from the Broncos lock and Queensland’s reigning player of the year.

“Moose (McGuire) was a really good mentor for me at the Broncos,” said Arrow, who left Red Hill over summer to chase a starting spot at the Titans.

“He and Sammy Thaiday were always jumping in to help me out.”

Arrow was superb against the Sharks last week, amassing 188m, three tackle busts and 31 tackles.

He knows he is tantalisingly close to an Origin debut after a candid pre-season chat with Queensland coach Kevin Walters.

“We had a one-on-one meeting,” said Arrow, who was chosen in Queensland’s Emerging Origin squad in January.

“He told me what I was capable of and said just keep working and if you do that, it (a Queensland jumper) will come for you.

“Going to the Emerging Camp, I was shocked with that, but Kevvie said ‘I think you can do some good things’ and that means a lot coming from someone like him.

“It would be great to play Origin under him.”

The Titans need Arrow to fire to snap a three-match losing streak, but coach Garth Brennan is also banking on chief playmaker Ash Taylor to dismantle the Raiders.

Underlining the expectations he has for the gifted Taylor, Brennan admits the Queensland Origin hopeful has yet to take complete control of Gold Coast’s attack.

“He has been inconsistent,” Brennan said. “He didn’t take the ball to the line anywhere near what he needed to last weekend.
    “Consistency is a big thing for Ash which comes with experience and age.

“I’ve always referred to it as Ash being like a jockey on the horse. He has to make sure he is steering them and heading in the right direction.

“He doesn’t have to have the ball in his hands all the time but he needs to be aware of where we’re heading and where the sets are finishing.

“When Ash plays well and he is on, we play well. There is no doubt about that.”

Junior

Well done to Jai for taking time out of his busy schedule to present jerseys to the QLD U15 Schoolboys side/s.

Gold Coast Titans forward Jai Arrow has no regrets about signing with South Sydney
    https://www.couriermail.com.au/

Queensland Origin forward Jai Arrow will play his last game for the Gold Coast Titans on Friday and has given his cancer-surviving mother a huge gift before he heads to South Sydney.

Gold Coast Titans forward Jai Arrow insists he has no regrets about leaving the rising club after honouring his cancer-surviving mother with a life-changing gift.

Arrow will make his 56th and final appearance in Titans colours in Friday’s clash against Newcastle at Cbus Super Stadium before he embarks on a move to South Sydney.

Arrow inked a four-year deal worth $3.2 million with the Rabbitohs last Christmas Eve after the Titans opted not to enter a bidding war for the Queensland Origin representative.

The Titans and Rabbitohs could not reach an agreement for Arrow to head south immediately which meant he played out the final season of his contract with the Gold Coast this year.

After a poor start to the year, the Titans have won seven of their past 13 games to rocket into ninth spot on the ladder, proving the future is bright on the Gold Coast under coach Justin Holbrook.

Arrow and captain Ryan James (Canberra) will be replaced by star signings David Fifita (Broncos) and Tino Fa’aasuamaleaui (Storm) next year.

Arrow, 25, has battled rib, shoulder and back injuries this year, but will make his 18th appearance of the 20-round season against the Knights when he comes off the bench.

While there is an element of sadness about departing the Titans, Arrow said he couldn’t wait to get out of his comfort zone at Souths.

“It hasn’t really sunk in yet, I haven’t thought about it much, it feels a bit weird that it’s all coming to an end,” he said.

“I’ll get to have a couple of beers with the boys after the game and say thank you. We’re in the bubble for another week after the game before we are allowed to head out and about and do normal things.

“I actually can’t wait (to join Souths), I am really excited. I’m really looking forward to it.

“It will be a good change for me. It’ll be the best thing for me to get out of my comfort zone and go somewhere foreign.

“There are definitely no regrets. I made the decision a while ago and I’m sticking with it.

“The Titans will have a place in my heart, it’s my hometown and the club is going to be great. What Justin and the two Jimmys (Dymock and Lenihan, assistant coaches) have done has been outstanding.

“With the players they’ve got coming, they will definitely be in the top eight. I hope they do well. I want to see the Gold Coast do well.

“Everyone at the club is great. I can’t thank them enough for everything.”

Arrow started the season in sensational touch but the back end of his campaign has been hampered by niggling injuries and Holbrook’s decision to look to the future by starting Tyrone Peachey at lock.

He is determined to end the season on a high by helping the resurgent Titans equal a club record five straight wins and will run out with a freshly-shaved head.

Arrow cut off his infamous mullet on Monday after raising close to $4000 for the Leukaemia Foundation’s Shave For A Cure.

Arrow’s mother, Nicole Manson, battled Hodgkin’s lymphoma 11 years ago and Arrow had always wanted to honour her.

Now an established NRL player and about to cash in with the biggest pay cheque of his career, Arrow said he had achieved a long-held goal.

“I saw what she went through, she really struggled and was very sick,” he said.

“I have always wanted to do something around charity, especially cancer. There are so many people sick with it and it’s not nice to see someone go through it.

“The mullet was for fun at the start then someone asked me if it was for charity. It all worked out perfect and I’ve been able to raise some money for a great cause.

“I’ve bought a house for mum so she can live in it when I go to Sydney - it can be her house for the rest of her life.

“My mum and dad split up when I was young and we weren’t in a great place financially. I’ve seen her struggle with that and the cancer.

“I have always wanted to buy a house for my mum since I started playing footy. I got the opportunity so I did it.”

Arrow hopes he has played well enough for the Titans to leave Gold Coast fans satisfied with his contribution to the club.

He will leave the Titans on good terms and is determined to end his three years at the Gold Coast on a high.

“I honestly think I’ve done all I can to put my body on the line for the club and my teammates,” he said.

“I’m really close to most of the boys in the team. I get on with everyone and love them.

“It’s sad it’s my last game but hopefully I can celebrate with them, tell them I’m going to miss them and give them a big hug and kiss – a bit of manly love.

“We want to finish the year strong and equal that club record.

“We’re going to come out firing. We won’t be holding back.”

Sorry to see both he and Ryan James go but it has enabled us to build the team we are looking forward to next year. I wish them all the very best in their career and health more importantly. Hope we get the bragging rights at the end of the 2021 season though.