Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Once again it's up to the Titans to play the Donkeys into form
    It's hard to play a head to head game with teams that cheat the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    It's hard to play a head to head game with teams that cheat the cap.
    Under the current system mate they are complying with the cap....... Third party deals are the issue..... the NRL needs to ban them

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Under the current system mate they are complying with the cap....... Third party deals are the issue..... the NRL needs to ban them
    It was aimed at Teke with the Manly avatar plus aimed at the Broncos whom I don't believe are cap compliant for one second. It's not the monopoly on third party deals I have the issue with as much as the brown paper bags or the leagues club jobs for cousin johnny or their spouses etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    It was aimed at Teke with the Manly avatar plus aimed at the Broncos whom I don't believe are cap compliant for one second. It's not the monopoly on third party deals I have the issue with as much as the brown paper bags or the leagues club jobs for cousin johnny or their spouses etc.
    I agree that cap cheating must be punished and that is what Manly have copped. They have chased this Manly stuff for over 12 months and fair enough.......but with the Broncos, Andrew Gee wouldn't be interviewed. Well that's ok we'll just forget it.
    It gets me that Manly get chased over third party stuff (which is fair enough) but the Broncos can get away with paying blokes well under market value and have a stack of third party deals to keep blokes. Even if they do it above board it isn't a level playing field.

Just noticed, curtain raiser for this is Norths Devils vs Wynnum Manly Seagulls.

Last edited by DIEHARD; 28-03-18 at 12:31 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Cartwright not out of mix for a Titans start
    http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

TITANS coach Garth Brennan insists Bryce Cartwright is not on the outer after axing the big-money Gold Coast recruit to the bench for Sunday’s derby against the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium.

Just a month into his premiership campaign, Cartwright has hit turbulent waters at his new club, with the former Panther relegated to interchange in the wake of last week’s 54-8 drubbing by the Dragons.

But Brennan yesterday rallied in support of Cartwright, admitting he is to blame for asking the utility to play a new tactical role at the Titans before he was ready for its demands.

Traditionally an edge player, Cartwright has been shifted by Brennan into the midfield and he has felt the pinch, missing a game-high six tackles in the Dragons mauling in Toowoomba.

Brennan says Cartwright needs time to find his feet at the Titans and believes dropping him to the bench can help the 23-year-old gradually learn his coach’s tactical plan.

“After three weeks in the starting side, I think Bryce needs a freshen up off the bench,” Brennan said.

“It was probably a but unfair on Bryce to throw him in like I did.

“Combine that with picking him in at five-eighth against the Warriors (following halfback Ash Taylor’s late withdrawal due to injury), and I haven’t done the right thing by Bryce since he’s been here.

“The workload is phenomenal in the middle and he wasn’t ready for it. In an ideal world, I wanted to ease him in.”

How Bennett almost ended, and saved, Garth Brennan's career
    http://www.nrl.com

Wayne Bennett is the man that almost ended Garth Brennan's coaching career. He's also the man that saved it.

It was 2012, and the seven-time premiership-winning coach had just been sworn in as the saviour under the Nathan Tinkler-led Newcastle Knights.

The previous season Brennan had led the club's under 20s to their first semi-final appearance. Six months later, he was being told by the man he idolised that there was no longer a coaching role for him at the club.

That's when Phil Gould called and offered him a chance at the Penrith Panthers, where the now Gold Coast Titans coach would go on to serve an apprenticeship to rival any other in the game.

"There were times, yeah, where I was dirty on Newcastle," Brennan told NRL.com as he prepares to square off against Bennett for the first time in Sunday's derby at Suncorp Stadium.

"There were times I would be cursing having to get back in the car and drive two and a half hours to Penrith thinking 'why couldn't have Wayne kept me? Why couldn't I work with Wayne Bennett'.

"Newcastle was home. I'd been a Newcastle boy all my life. The reality that I had to move, that I had to move away from my wife and my kids. Did I really want to do that? Did I want to go back into the police and give this football dream away?"

How Bennett's rejection saved Brennan

He was beginning to feel sorry for himself, but Brennan's wife Rachel, who was juggling running a successful law firm and raising three children, helped him through it.

"My wife was the one who turned around and said: 'Garth get over it. It's the best thing that's ever happened for you'. For her to say that, who it was affecting more than anyone, made me realise 'you're right, it was the best thing that ever happened to me'.

"It gave me another lease on life. If I had stayed at Newcastle, I wouldn't be sitting here today, I believe. I respect Wayne and appreciate what he's done for me, forcing me to make a decision and move on and make a choice has actually helped me become a better coach."

There's no denying Brennan's disappointment at the time, especially given the excitement he had about working with the coach he considers the greatest of all time.

But he understood this was the nature of the beast. And at the end of 2017, when he was appointed as Neil Henry's successor at the Titans, he did to others what Bennett did to him six years ago.

"I have no resentment towards Wayne. I've done the same thing now that I'm a head coach," he said.

"I've brought my people in. That's the way of the industry we work in. It can be cruel. I can't be critical because I certainly did the same thing. You want the people you can trust and the people you can work with, because you need results.

"I was disappointed, no doubt about it. For someone I had looked up to for so long, I was really hoping to work with Wayne as a coach, but it wasn't meant to be. I got to work with Gus (Phil Gould), who has made me who I am today."

For six years, Brennan spent hundreds of nights away from the family home. Thousands of hours on the road travelling between Newcastle and Penrith in pursuit of a head coaching role in the Telstra Premiership.

He sacrificed a lot, earning the admiration and respect of Gould, who was pivotal in helping Brennan secure a job with the Titans.

NRL Holden Women's Premiership

Brennan never lost sight of what was truly important.

"I would have walked away tomorrow. At the end of the day family is first for me," he said.

"If it got to the stage where I have to choose between my wife and kids or coaching and rugby league - it's a no-brainer. My wife and my kids will always come first. If it had have got to the stage where Rachel said you can't do this anymore, I would have walked away. But I knew the support I had from her - and my mum and dad are my biggest fans."

Throughout many of Brennan's 18 years in the police force prior to his coaching days, he spent most shifts in a patrol car.

It gave him a sense of appreciation.

"I remember Sterlo saying years ago, find your passion, make it your job and you'll never work a day in your life," Brennan said.

"I used to drive in a car for two and a half hours, but there are police officers going to work getting shot at, spat at, abused and yelled at for eight hours. I'm sitting in the car listening to the radio or talking to mates - hands free of course."

Broncos v Titans: Sims to start, Cartwright benched

Maybe they had a bit of luck in golden point, but the Brisbane Broncos made it two from three with last week's 9-7 defeat of the Tigers. Belted by the Dragons in round one, Brisbane now have their defence in order. There are concerns for their side, however, with both Corey Oates (hip) and Tevita Pangai Jr. (hamstring) facing at least a week on the sidelines.

The Gold Coast Titans were abysmal in last Sunday's 54-8 trouncing from the Dragons but, aside from a 54-0 drubbing in round 22 last year, have a knack for rising to the occasion against their Queensland rivals.

Brisbane Broncos v Gold Coast Titans, 6.30pm (7.30pm AEDT) Sunday at Suncorp Stadium

The key match-up: The battle in the centres between Broncos flyer James Roberts and Titans powerhouse Konrad Hurrell is a classic contrast of speed versus strength. If the Titans re-produce the same sloppy defensive effort that led to the thrashing from the Dragons, Roberts could have a day out.

For the Broncos to win: First and foremost they can't just show up expecting the Titans to roll over. If Brisbane defend as strongly as they have in their past two wins, they should have too much attacking firepower.

For the Titans to win: It all starts with attitude and self-belief that they aren't as bad as last week's horror show suggests. Atonement will be a strong motivating factor but will only get them so far if they don't put in a serious 80-minute effort against their big-city rivals.

Broncos stat attack: In 25 meetings with the Titans, the Broncos have won 18, lost five and drawn twice. They have out-scored Gold Coast 606 to 351 in those clashes.

Titans stat attack: The Titans have scored 46 points in three games to Brisbane's 45 in 2018, but their 102 points conceded is the worst in the competition.

And another thing: Look for Titans halfback Ash Taylor to have a big game against his former club after his ineffectual performance against the Dragons.

Home Team Broncos Odds $1.23
    Away Team Titans Odds $4.35

Venue: Suncorp Stadium

Match broadcasters: Fox League

Broncos: 1 Darius Boyd (c), 2 Jonus Pearson, 3 James Roberts, 19 Jack Bird, 5 Jamayne Isaako, 6 Anthony Milford, 7 Kodi Nikorima, 8 Matthew Lodge, 9 Andrew McCullough, 10 Korbin Sims, 11 Alex Glenn, 12 Matt Gillett, 13 Josh McGuire

Interchange: 14 Sam Thaiday, 15 Joe Ofahengaue, 16 Tom Opacic, 17 Jaydn Su'A.

Reserves: 18 Todd Murphy, 19 Sam Tagataese, 20 Gehamat Shibasaki, 21 Patrick Mogo

Corey Oates (hip) and Tevita Pangai Jnr (hamstring) are out, with Jonus Pearson and Korbin Sims starting in their place and Jaydn Su'A joining the bench.

Titans: 1 Michael Gordon, 2 Anthony Don, 3 Dale Copley, 4 Konrad Hurrell, 5 Phillip Sami, 6 Kane Elgey, 7 Ashley Taylor, 8 Jarrod Wallace, 9 Nathan Peats, 10 Ryan James (c), 11 Kevin Proctor, 12 Will Matthews 13 Jai Arrow

Interchange: 14 Mitch Rein, 15 Max King, 16 Bryce Cartwright, 17 Leilani Latu

Reserves: 18 Morgan Boyle, 19 Ryan Simpkins, 20 AJ Brimson, 21 Tyronne Roberts-Davis

Bryce Cartwright has been dropped to the bench, with Will Matthews starting in the back row, Jai Arrow shifting to lock and Ryan James moving to prop. Keegan Hipgrave is suspended for one match, replaced on the bench by Max King, while Morgan Boyle drops out of the 17.

Head-to-head: 25 matches, Broncos 18 wins, Titans 5 wins, 2 draws.

Matches at venue: 13 matches, Broncos 12 wins, Titans 1 win.

Last five head-to-head: Broncos 5 wins, Titans 0 wins.

2017 results: Broncos won 24-22 in round 7, Broncos win 54-0 in round 22.

Points per game: Broncos 15, Titans 15.3.

Points conceded per game: Broncos 20.3, Titans 34

Televised: Live on Nine, Fox League

Gee they don't write much in these reviews anymore do they.

It states in the review that channel 9 is broadcasting.
    Does anyone know if this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    It states in the review that channel 9 is broadcasting.
    Does anyone know if this correct?
    The TV guide Im looking at is only showing Dragons v Knights. :/

I don’t want Mondays Newspaper Headline to read “ Titans Play Broncos Into Form. “. That’s all I ask for.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

I was just taking a freash look at the teams lists and I think our bench looks potentially better.
    The bench seams to be more and more influential these days on the outcome so maybe we can pull some confidence from this.
    Yep, starting to talk myself up for this which is usually a good sign we are a chance.

Inactive User

^^^ RVS get ready for the sweetest win in our clubs history on Sunday night. It’s coming.