Rein forecast to muddy waters for Brennan
http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

AFTER 18 months in the wilderness, Mitch Rein is back.

The 27-year-old was at his dynamic best on Sunday night at Cbus Super Stadium, making a noticeable impact upon taking over the dummy-half duties from Nathan Peats.

Rein’s stocks are on the rebuild after an ill-fated move from St George Illawarra to Penrith for last season.

From being one of the most highly rated hookers in the game, he played just five NRL games all season – only as a fill-in when Peter Wallace was injured – and otherwise was condemned to the Panthers’ reserve grade side coached by Garth Brennan.

Rein emerged from the scrap heap when an opportunity to link up with Brennan at the Titans arose and he cut a satisfied figure after his top level club debut.

“I just wanted to get back out playing first grade,” Rein told the Bulletin.

“I only played five or six games last year, not as many as I wanted to, or thought I was going to anyway.”

The 138-gamer said it took a lot of hard work and resilience to force a revival of his career. “Sometimes when things aren’t going according to plan, you have just got to hang in there,” he said. “Once I got here, I ripped in and had a big pre-season. “If it wasn’t for Garth getting me up here, who knows? “I have got to repay him now for giving me this opportunity to play first grade.”

His effort against the Raiders certainly made a big start towards doing that, with Brennan and captain Ryan James raving about the difference having two standout rakes in the side makes. A continuation of his form might just give Brennan a headache about how to best juggle his No.9s.