Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    First Grader

Really need more focus on wrapping up the ball and also hitting and sticking.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic Believer View Post
    We aren't going to win many games as long as we keep missing 40 tackles a game.
    Has been a huge issue especially around the middle of the ruck. When we moved on Paasi, Pulu etc last season I was sure that our middle of the ruck defence would be sealed up but it has been ordinary to say the least. We seem to continually miss a tackle up the middle which leads to a break and poor old Gordon busting his ass to cover. Peats and Latu have been especially bad

Nailed it ... Peats and Latu
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

First Grader

Really feel Latu should be moved to the bench for Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    Really feel Latu should be moved to the bench for Wallace
    Only thing I'm hoping is that Wallace needs to find his match fitness and this will be rectified in the next couple of rounds.

Hurrell determined to build on century
    http://www.goldcoast.com.au

ON Sunday, Konrad Hurrell will bring up his century and he has already set himself the goal of playing another 100 games all for the Gold Coast in promising signs for Titans fans.

Hurrell has been a revelation on the Coast since cutting short an often troubled tenure at the Warriors to move midway in 2016.

In just 28 appearances for the Titans, the exciting centre’s impact has been enormous on and off the field.

He put his transformation down to the way the club has backed him.

“It just feels good when someone has faith in you,” Hurrell told the Bulletin. “(My career) has been a rollercoaster but I’m glad I made it here.”

It’s taken more than six years for Hurrell to crack the ton but he feels there are many more barnstorming performances to come – and he doesn’t want to pull on any NRL jersey other than that of the Gold Coast. “I feel like I’m home now and hopefully I will stay here for a bit longer,” he said.

“The boys help to make you feel welcome at the Titans and the coaching staff, they have been looking after us very well. Why would you want to move away from where you are being looked after?

“From what I have been going through here at the Titans, I reckon I can probably get another 100 (games) just by how the coaches and the staff and all the trainers are here looking after me and for myself knowing what I need to work on.”

Titans coach Garth Brennan last week hailed Hurrell as one of his favourite NRL players in a show of just how highly he is regarded.

“Obviously he is the coach and he is the big dog so for him to say that I’m one of his favourite players, it feels good,” the Tongan international said.

“There is a lot of pressure in that but it makes me keep working hard so I can stay in his favourite books.”

Hurrell will mark up on St George Illawarra centre Tim Lafai in Toowoomba on Sunday as the Titans strive to bounce back from their 20-8 Round 2 away loss to the Warriors.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Ash Taylor declares himself a certain starter against Dragons at Clive Berghofer Stadium
    http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

ASH Taylor has declared he will play in the Titans’ trip to Toowoomba no matter what in a sign of his commitment to putting on a show for his home region.

The 23-year-old was shattered to miss Gold Coast’s away loss to the Warriors last weekend due to a hamstring niggle but put his availability beyond doubt for their Round 3 showdown against unbeaten St George Illawarra.

“It feels good,” Taylor said of his hamstring.

“Obviously it pulled up a bit sore against the Raiders the first game but full confidence now and I am back training with the boys.

“It was a massive call for the coach to pull me out of the game – I was pretty disappointed actually that I didn’t even get a chance to play.

“It’s 100 per cent this week and I’m going to make sure I’m not on the sidelines.”

Taylor, in fact, said he was never going to miss the opportunity to play at Clive Berghofer Stadium – the venue for several of his junior footy grand finals – having missed a pre-season NRL trial there against Brisbane last month.

“No matter how bad the hammy is or anything else, I am playing it,” he said.

“It’s very special to play in front of my family and friends back in Toowoomba. It’s going to be very exciting.

Having won first-up against Canberra, the Titans were unable to cover the loss of their star half in a 20-8 defeat to the Warriors.

The result immediately sparked talk of whether the club will struggle any time Taylor is out, much like the Cowboys did for so long whenever Johnathan Thurston was sidelined.

Taylor shot down that theory.

“Just because I am not in there doesn’t mean they can’t do a good job,” he said.

The Titans-Dragons contest will begin at 3:10pm on Sunday.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Taylor ready for reunion with Hunt
    https://www.nrl.com/

Increased future opportunities was behind Gold Coast Titans halfback Ash Taylor's decision to depart the Brisbane Broncos in 2015.

The player ahead of him at the time? A talented playmaker by the name of Ben Hunt.

Fast forward three years and the pair now find themselves at different clubs chasing the same dream, starting with their round three clash at Toowoomba's Clive Berghofer Stadium on Sunday.

"I grew up under him [Hunt]," Taylor recalled on Thursday.

"I was in the 20's system when he was in first grade and was looking up to him. I know what he can do on the field, he can do some freakish stuff and is always competing so we're going to have our hands full."

Ironically, the Broncos did their best to lure Taylor back to the club in 2017 after confirmation Hunt was headed to the St George Illawarra Dragons, but the Indigenous All Stars representative remained loyal to the Titans, signing a long-term extension.

Shutting down the early season form of St George Illawarra halves Hunt and Gareth Widdop looms as critical for the Titans. The pair have guided the Dragons to the top of the table after two rounds.

"You've just got to take your opportunities," Taylor said.

"Obviously, the teams in the first few rounds didn't put too much pressure on them. We're going to attack them all across the park, I think that's the biggest thing.

"They have some big busting forwards up front that we need to bring back down to earth and make sure our big boys are on the mark."

The clash on Sunday marks a special occasion for 23-year-old Taylor, who returns to his hometown to play at a ground he once called his spiritual home.

"I'm sure the community is excited about the day and everyone is looking forward to the day," he said.

"I played a few games at Clive Berghofer, that was where all our grand finals were played."

Taylor said he was a certain starter for the clash after missing last week's 20-8 loss to the Warriors and even declared he would take to the field injured if it ensured he would take part.

"It was just a precaution thing last week, a massive call for the coach to pull me out of the game," he said.

"It's 100 per cent this week and I'm going to make sure I'm not on the sidelines. No matter how bad the hammy is or anything else, I'm playing it."

The return of Taylor is another boost for the Titans outfit who also welcome back Queensland prop Jarrod Wallace for his first game of the season after serving a suspension for a shoulder charge in round 26 last year.

Wallace faces a tough challenge up front to start his season with James Graham and Paul Vaughan in strong form early.

"The last few weeks I've been anxious and nervous … not a good feeling," Wallace said.

"It's a good test for me, even with Paul Vaughan there as well. I love playing against guys like that because it brings the best out in me."

From Wackos whispers

Titans vs Dragons

Titans set to welcome Ash Taylor from hamstring injury after he failed to play last week in New Zealand. Only possible change to 17 could be Will Matthews who is in some doubt after picking up cork last weekend with Keegan Hipgrave on standby should he be ruled out. Dragons will have same change as previous weeks with Jeremy Latimore coming onto bench for Hame Sele in only change to 17 named on Tuesday.

First Grader

Yeah boys love me some hipgrave

Wallace to give away the most penalties...fatigue factor.

TITANS FLYERS ADD ELEMENT OF SPICE TO DERBY

Young guns Kiah Cooper and Tyronne Roberts-Davis will face off today. Picture: GOLD COAST TITANS

TWO of the Gold Coast’s brightest emerging flyers will go head-to-head today in a thrilling spectacle for fans at Piggabeen Sports Complex.

Among the highlights of the Coast’s Intrust Super Cup derby between Tweed Heads and Burleigh from 1.10pm will be the battle between 20-year-olds Kiah Cooper and Tyronne Roberts-Davis.

Cooper, the cousin of Ash Taylor who joined the Titans this season on a development contract, will line up on the right wing for Tweed, directly opposite Roberts-Davis on Burleigh’s left flank.

The latter is the cousin of Taylor’s ex-halves partner Tyrone Roberts and is looking to add to the six NRL games he has played to date.

Cooper is excited for the match-up, having known his teammate-turned-rival for five years now.

“We went on a France tour together. It will be funny versing him,” Cooper said.

“His footwork is good and he’s got a lot of speed – especially on me, he’s way faster than me.”

Burleigh coach Jimmy Lenihan was pleased with Roberts-Davis’ Bears debut last weekend against Redcliffe but noted Cooper will take some stopping.

“He is probably a bigger, heavier body and has got a heavier carry,” Lenihan said of Cooper.

“He really gets Tweed off to a really good start with carrying the ball forward for them.”

While the Bears have lost Ben Hannant to a hamstring injury, they have been boosted by the addition of Titans second-rower Joe Greenwood.

Wallace reserves offer rejection

JARROD Wallace was prepared to take the ultimate drop from State of Origin to reserve grade this weekend.

The hardworking prop told Gold Coast coach Garth Brennan he would do the team thing if need be, having missed the opening two rounds of the NRL season due to a suspension hanging over from last year.

“I said to him the other day, obviously the boys are playing well, I was happy to come back through Tweed or Burleigh,” Wallace said.

“Whatever I had to do for the team but I’m just thankful he has chucked me on the bench and now I’m just excited.”

Wallace’s naming on the interchange puts him in unfamiliar territory – Sunday against the Dragons is set to be the first time in 555 days that he has played from the bench, including two State of Origin starting appearances in that time. The 26-year-old though said it will not change his role and is stoked to be finally pulling the boots back on.

“The last few weeks I have been sitting there anxious and nervous,” he said. “Sitting there and watching the boys play, it’s not a real good feeling but they did really well.”

Free to make it Rein

MITCH Rein says he has been given a licence to unleash the dynamic running game that had him on the cusp of a State of Origin jersey a few years back.

The hooker’s six-year, 132-game career at St George Illawarra came to a sour end in 2016 as contract extension negotiations broke down, with Rein eventually switching to Penrith.

He wasted little time in firing a shot at the Dragons, claiming soon after that his former club’s restrictive playing style had hurt his development.

“I know what I’m capable of and playing (at the Dragons), with all the limitations of what you’re allowed to do and what you’re not, that’s one thing I’ve noticed coming here (Penrith) – it’s a lot more positive,” he said at the time.

Rein’s Panthers deal didn’t go to plan either. He spent the majority of 2017 in reserve grade before linking up with coach Garth Brennan at the Gold Coast for this season.

The 27-year-old has already impressed in his first two games in Titans colours and revealed Brennan had given him more freedom to showcase his running game.

“Yeah, I guess so,” he said.

“When I have been coming on, there has been a few more opportunities, a few tired guys, so I’m just playing what’s in front of me.”

Rein admits he still reflects on the end of his time at the Dragons but will get a chance to set the record straight tomorrow when he lines up against the Red V for the first time in his NRL career.

“I spent a fair bit of time down there but that was a few years ago now so it is going to be awesome to come up against a few old mates,” he said.

Meanwhile, Ryan James expects the return of Queensland Origin prop Jarrod Wallace will allow him to run amok on the edge against the Dragons.

The Gold Coast captain is happy to have Wallace back from a three-game suspension as the NRL side looks for ways to plug their own defence.

“I get to go back out on the edge and get to stay there now,” James said.

“I will find my way into the middle at some stage but that was always the plan.”