Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Their pack is always a massive problem for us. If they get some direction around the ruck then we will have our hands full I think.
    Given our pack is mobile and speed out wide is not our strength I think we need to play a style of “total football” where we need to move the football relentlessly and try and gas our opposition.
    Structured footy will not work for us.
    Everyone needs to be looking to support their team mate for offloads and all players need to chance their arm.
    We should look to keep the ball in play and when we get a penalty, we need to kick for touch or take the tap quickly rather than have a committee meeting.
    We need to almost reinvent the game like the Dutch did in soccer in the 1970s when they invented the soccer version of “total football”.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Given our pack is mobile and speed out wide is not our strength I think we need to play a style of “total football” where we need to move the football relentlessly and try and gas our opposition.
    Structured footy will not work for us.
    Everyone needs to be looking to support their team mate for offloads and all players need to chance their arm.
    We should look to keep the ball in play and when we get a penalty, we need to kick for touch or take the tap quickly rather than have a committee meeting.
    We need to almost reinvent the game like the Dutch did in soccer in the 1970s when they invented the soccer version of “total football”.
    We could go a step further with inspiration from the Walker Bros Coaching Bible ( available at all good book stores ) and wrestle less in the ruck when defending, giving the other team less time to restructure for the following plays, less time to plan and literally less time with the ball in hand.

Inactive User

^^^ oh yeah I forgot about the Ipswich Walker Brothers game plan. I think they call it “contract football”. Thanks for that info on what ploys they employ in defence, I didn’t know about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    ^^^ oh yeah I forgot about the Ipswich Walker Brothers game plan. I think they call it “contract football”. Thanks for that info on what ploys they employ in defence, I didn’t know about that.
    That's just one element, i also forgot to mention they also have less time to recover and get a breather before they have to kick and chase downfield and defend again.
    Last edited by DavidBouveng; 08-03-18 at 04:10 PM.

First Grader

Sounds like it'd work against Canberra, especially being first game of the year. Hopefully Hayden Knowles has the lads in top shape.

It's called "running them off their feet" in all sports.
    Pretty much the way this game has gone and the coaches whom are proactive in this will be most successful.
    Goodnight to the likes of Bennett and bring on the rule of Brennan.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    What are peoples thoughts on the up coming game? Who's tipping us to start the season with a win? I think we can blind side them. Hopefully grind out a win, just need to keep that ball away from their backline.
    We need to win it & I believe we will
    #itaintweaktospeak

Glad to see Sami named, was concerned he may have got pushed aside with the purchases and reshuffle over the off season.

I'm with you, Pete. I reckon we got their measure. We just might have to work their edges though.

I don't think Sami will be there when others are back from injury (Lee and Elliot).

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

James seen as a danger
    http://www.couriermail.com.au

THE Titans will stick solid with a promise to play entertaining footy and unleash captain Ryan James as a widerunning forward.

James (pictured) will start in the back row in tomorrow’s NRL Round 1 clash against Canberra at Cbus Super Stadium despite the Gold Coast battling a shortage of props.

With Jarrod Wallace and Keegan Hipgrave suspended, and Jack Stockwell (shoulder) injured, coach Garth Brennan will start with a front row combination of Jai Arrow and Leilani Latu.

Arrow, 22, made one starting appearance in the front row during his 24-game Broncos career while Latu started in 14 of 49 games at Penrith.

Brennan said James would spend some time in the front row, but the rookie coach is determined to use him as a backrower on the left edge.

“He brings a real threat,” Brennan said.

James, 26, equalled the record for the most tries scored in a season by a front rower when he crossed 12 times in 2016. Prop Morgan Boyle will make his first appearance this season from the bench after overcoming a shoulder injury.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

THE TFH-branded Titans jersey is not the only new look Gold Coast players will be donning against Canberra tomorrow night.

The Titans will sport the colours of their respective junior clubs with the socks they wear out onto Cbus Super Stadium.

It’s part of an initiative to promote junior sign-on days ahead of the grassroots rugby league season.

The socks will show off the Titans’ strong homegrown links, with seven players representing clubs from either the Rugby League Gold Coast or Northern Rivers Regional Rugby League competitions.

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

Rivals admit shock over a call to snub Austin
    http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

RICKY Stuart’s shock ploy to bench Canberra star Blake Austin even took his Gold Coast counterpart Garth Brennan by surprise.

Austin has been a central figure at the Raiders for years now but was overlooked for a starting halves spot, with Aidan Sezer and Sam Williams instead given first crack.

Austin will wear the No.14 at Cbus Super Stadium tomorrow night.

Stuart has opted to include three halves in his side plus hooker Siliva Havili as they try to cover for injured English rake Josh Hodgson.

“Yeah it probably did (surprise me) a bit,” Brennan said, two days before his first NRL game in charge of the Titans.

“Blake is a class player. I had a bit to do with Blake at Penrith when I first went there and he is a quality player, and himself and Sezer have had a strong combination over the last few years.”

He is wary of Williams though, who has returned from the English Super League after six seasons as an NRL fringe playmaker.

“Sam Williams has been there I think three times so he knows the club, he knows the players. He controls the game very well,” Brennan said.

“I think they have got a really good mix there with what they are doing.

“Obviously there’s some possibility that one of their halves may end up going to nine but I’m not too concerned about Canberra, it’s more about us and that’s what we’ve focused on all week.

“They are a threat, there’s no doubt about that and we are well aware of that, but we need to get our own backyard in order … if we can do that, we can be a threat to anyone else and they can worry about us.”

The match starts at 5.30pm.

Ok, I’m kicking off with my blind optimism again, but I am really keen to see how we go. The back row of proctor, James and Cartwright is one of the best we’ve had, certainly up there compared to when we had Harrison and bird in their prime playing in the back row. In Gordon, we have a solid fullback, something we haven’t had since Campbell in my opinion. We have a solid halves pairing, I’m just hoping the gel and work together. Although I really liked Tyrone Roberts I also believe he was definitely responsible in part for Taylor and Elgey not clicking. Our left side is a worry, but we just need to play like the team that was playing before “fly boy” came and as long as we are competitive, I see that as an improvement. I can’t wait to see the style of play that Brennan has been working on and I am looking forward to seeing a win in the stands on Sunday. Can’t wait.

super pumped as well Dooldog

I did see today that James and Elgey together have a better bond and will defend better i beleive as they are very close and played together a fair bit.

LG correctly points out that while he missed plenty of tackles, he often had a new centre and second rower pairing ever few weeks and it was hard to build any trust or continuity.

Im hoping James' strength and fire can help LG out plenty and he goes well.

Because while Ash is our Money man, LG had a more outstanding patch of games in his rookie year than Ash ever has, and if he fires and complements Ash's kicking and organisation well we are cooking.