Thread: BBL

Inactive User

Default BBL

Would you like to see and would you support a Gold Coast Big Bash team??

I would, though I'd feel the numbers wouldn't add up to justify it. Very similar to how the A-League situation turned out in QLD where both NQ Fury and Gold Coast United eventually folded in the comp.

Inactive User

I see there will be a T20 Game between Australia and South Africa in November here on the GC. A good turnout probably a sell out could put us well on the way to having a BBL team.

Bodsy i think one of the problems with the sporting Gold Coast teams is the position of the stadiums.
    The Gold Coast is a bloody big council (all the way to Beenleigh) and I think having a Stadium closer to the fast increasing population areas between Brisbane and the Goldie may help with support. Say a new stadium around Coomera?
    I remember Tate talking about building the Titans a stadium around Coomera so could take advantage and lease out to BBL and others?

And yes mate I would go to the T20 but I travel south so the above mentioned would influence my attendance rate.
    Last edited by RavShamrock; 30-04-18 at 07:24 PM.

Inactive User

Cricket Australia boss James Sutherland foreshadows more cricket for the Gold Coast

CRICKET Australia boss James Sutherland has foreshadowed a growing role for the Gold Coast in Australian cricket, with the Big Bash League (BBL) to arrive as early as next season.

Sutherland fronted the media at Carrara yesterday to confirm the Coast’s first international fixture in November, with talk quickly turning to the potential arrival of BBL action.

Sutherland said Metricon Stadium’s rise as an international-standard venue, as well as the expansion of the BBL from 10 to 14 matches for each team, meant more elite cricket in the city was inevitable.

“From our perspective, we’re excited at the opportunity of playing BBL matches in different parts of the country,” he said.

“Obviously with the expansion of the league this year, each of the home teams will be looking for alternative places to play. It may be this year, it’s a possibility … but I think in the foreseeable future we are going to see Big Bash League cricket here now that we have the infrastructure.

“I can’t see a reason why not. It’s a very exciting time for the game. It really is a new era and … we’re very much looking forward to the summer ahead.”

Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland inspects the drop-in pitch outside Metricon Stadium. Picture: Chris Hyde/Getty Images
    The result of a collaboration between Cricket Australia, Gold Coast City Council and the Gold Coast Suns, November’s T20 international will use a $200,000 drop-in pitch.

Suns chief executive Mark Evans said it “makes sense that cricket expands into Australia’s sixth biggest city”.

“Hosting cricket at Metricon Stadium was front of mind in the early stages of redeveloping the facility and after working collaboratively with Cricket Australia over what amounts to nearly eight years, we’re excited to partner with Cricket Australia to deliver International Cricket to Metricon Stadium,” Evans said.

“We are fortunate to have the opportunity to invest heavily in our cricket infrastructure, including the curation of drop in wickets — a first for an international stadium in Queensland — installation of practice wickets within the Metricon Stadium precinct and resourcing our horticulture and ground staff to bring this opportunity to life.”

Gold Coast cricketers Michael Durbridge and Chris Swan. Picture: Scott Fletcher
    Meanwhile, leading Gold Coast cricket figures have hailed the arrival of international action as a potential game-changer for the sport at the grassroots level.

As the city prepares for its maiden T20 international, the local cricket scene shapes as the big winner with a boost in participation numbers and supporter base.

Gold Coast Cricket junior director Gary Stimpson said the fixture “could only have a positive impact” on local cricket, while Surfers Paradise president and former Queensland Bull Chris Swan believes it could spark the next crop of Australian stars.

“Any exposure to the best cricketers in the world augers well for the future and sustainability of cricket on the Gold Coast. We’ve had Andrew Symonds and Scott Muller as Test players in the past so it’s fantastic Cricket Australia has recognised the Coast has an input into the long-term future of the game,” Swan said.

Queens first grade captain Michael Durbridge paid tribute to Gold Coast Dolphins president Jeff Pfaff for making his dream a reality.

“Jeff had the vision of bringing Twenty20 cricket (to the Coast),” Durbridge said.

“You look at what the Big Bash has done to cricket in Australia from a spectator participation perspective (has been huge). The effect of it probably won’t be felt for another 10 years but there’s nothing but good things could come from it.”

Inactive User

I’ve got mail that there will be 3 BBL matches at Carrara
    Brisbane v Hobart Dec 22
    Brisbane v Sydney 6ers Jan 1
    Melbourne Stars v Sydney Thunder Jan 5

It goes well we might get our own GC Team

The Suns done well jagging 3 then, it'll go some ways to help them financially with their Stadium deal

But it may have been a easy decision for Cricket Australia because from what I understand they're not too happy with the Gabba arrangement, to the point there's no Test Cricket being played there this Summer.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    The Suns done well jagging 3 then, it'll go some ways to help them financially with their Stadium deal

But it may have been a easy decision for Cricket Australia because from what I understand they're not too happy with the Gabba arrangement, to the point there's no Test Cricket being played there this Summer.
    Toads the Gabba missed out on any of the Tests against India but it is hosting a Day/Night Test against Sri Lanka