Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Inactive User

JB-my reply would be that results don’t need to be immediate. It’s a battle for hearts and minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    JB-my reply would be that results don’t need to be immediate. It’s a battle for hearts and minds.
    I'm with you Mr Bods. We need a long term strategy for hearts and minds. And one of the first places we should focus ourselves on is schools. And also the existing fanbase whose profession is teaching, which I think is a strikingly high number.

One of the big reasons I became a mad Rugby League fan was the Principal at my primary school. He'd talk about Origin at assembly. Make sure the teachers gave us no home work that evening. I even think he made a late start on at least one occasion.

Teachers are huge role models in our young lives.

I also remember getting passes to games in Year 8 to the South Queensland Crushers. I also remember being part of half time entertainment at a Brisbane Broncos game in the early 90s through my school.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Players at school assemblies is a low yield strategy with today's kids... Trotting them out at assemblies does not get more people at games.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    Players at school assemblies is a low yield strategy with today's kids... Trotting them out at assemblies does not get more people at games.
    Well I'm a teacher and have years of marketing and communication experience and post graduate qualificiations. So I'm comfortable with my view.

I respect your view because all are valid. But I think your are labouring your point here.

Maybe you can go get PewDiePie to wear a Titans hat or something.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Well I'm a teacher and have years of marketing and communication experience and post graduate qualificiations. So I'm comfortable with my view.

I respect your view because all are valid. But I think your are labouring your point here.

Maybe you can go get PewDiePie to wear a Titans hat or something.
    Equally I respect your point of view @Diehard and I don’t mean any disrespect if you feel this is the case...as this is not my intent. I have much admiration for your passion for the game that you have shown over a long period dating back to the great BRL days and what you contribute to this forum.
    However, as a teacher you would be well aware of high yield strategies based on evidence/data and I do not see any evidence to suggest players attending assemblies is high yield (I have no issue with this being a PR exercise) but if the desire is to get bums on seats through this exercise I believe it is a low yield strategy and misses the mark. I am happy for anyone to present any hard data to suggest that this is high yield strategy to challenge my point of view.
    I personally put my hand up for the Alliance and I have some strong views based in this area because I also have credentials in this area which you have made an assumption that I do not.
    Anyway, the titans are winning and hopefully they hold on for the win.

Or offer some suggestions that you feel meet your own criteria?

I didn't make any assumptions that you don't have any credentials. I just think you went overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer
    Trotting them out at assemblies does not get more people at games.

It is outdated and I would argue it has absouletly no or extremely little influence on whether they attend a football game in today's society.

If the club is banking on this strategy it will be a wasted exercise.

I don't mean for this to be a tennis match.

I'm legitimately interested to discuss this and add to it. I do believe that we do need some real cunning and innovative strategies in the mix.

Hammer, if I remember correctly you posted on here, maybe a decade ago, asking about the Titans use of twitter when it was a brand new platform. Based on that post I actually signed up to twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I don't mean for this to be a tennis match.

I'm legitimately interested to discuss this and add to it. I do believe that we do need some real cunning and innovative strategies in the mix.

Hammer, if I remember correctly you posted on here, maybe a decade ago, asking about the Titans use of twitter when it was a brand new platform. Based on that post I actually signed up to twitter.
    @Diehard can I start with some background first…remembering my point is that just having players at school assemblies in order to garner an increase in tickets at the games is in my opinion outdated and ineffective. If it is a PR exercise then treat it as such but in my opinion it will not relate to increases in tickets sold.

@Diehard you look close to my vintage give or take about 5 years. So to frame my argument I would like to share my experience as a kid and rugby league.

When I was growing up as a kid there was 4 tv channels and only 1 tv in the household, crappy radio and dinner was a family event whereby we all sat and spoke about the day’s events. We had the newspaper delivered each day to the door and the sport pages were 90% rugby league. Rugby League was unchallenged by a country mile as the dominant sport in winter however you only could watch 1 game (BRL) on tv each weekend…it was a massive event in my household that was never to be missed. My love of rugby league was ingrained from my father as it was an event valued…we connected through the spectacle of rugby league and so did my brother and I. Our mates were equally ingrained with rugby league and in our playtime, we connected by playing rugby league in the backyard…some days I would have a football in my hands for hours. I didn’t go to many live games but when I did it was massive…funnily enough though my true memories are not necessarily about the result but rather the connectedness with others whether it be my father, brother or my mates.

Rugby league for me has been a vehicle to connect in a shared experience…that’s where my love of the game comes from.

Fast forward to today’s society…I don’t think I could count the number of tv channels that are available between pay tv and free-to-air tv…and what seems like endless screens to view content on and family gatherings like the daily dinner is in some households such a different experience if not rare. We consume our news in many ways on our own and in a myriad of ways such as youtube, reddit, twitter, facebook, Instagram and snapchat…heck even the traditional newspaper is under threat by a new model. Rugby league has so many more challengers for the attention in today’s society. In modern families there are many that don’t have an active male role model and in some that do it is a pretty ordinary role model at that. To be up front…I’m in the education game too @Diehard and what I see in kids today is they crave connection (research would say they crave a dopamine hit via likes) but in most cases it is a rather superficial connection that they get. Kids of today connect in vastly different ways to what I did as a kid.

For these reasons apart from those avid footy diehards a visit by a bunch of rugby league players would be not different to some cricketers, netballers, surfers or the annual Auskick people…and in schools we get them all trying to knock on the door to visit.

In my opinion it is a low yield strategy.

Now to answer your challenge…what would I suggest the titans do.

Well firstly it is worth noting kids don’t by tickets to the football…their parents do!
    And if you think kids of today are going to go home after an assembly visit and hassle their parents to buy tickets to the football I think you’re being a little overly optimistic. In today’s society rugby league is a vehicle to maximise connections…heck that’s what the Legion is all about, connecting to others that have an equal passion for the spectacle and our team. Therefore, with this in mind it is my opinion our strategy should be on how rugby league can value-add to real human connections whether that be father to son/daughter, mates to mates or fellow legion members. The message needs to be in the many myriad of ways we consume news in today’s society…there is a reason why youtubers and vloggers are now famous…because they connect and share sometimes daily their lives and their interests.

The game itself is no longer a compelling case like it was when I was growing up…but the connections can and should be the compelling case. Going to the football should be all about the connection to those that are important in your lives whether it be family or friends/mates…the spectacle and the odd win helps to reinforce these connections.

To highlight this strategy imagine we had a daily vlog by a player/s and/or coaching staff…not a 30 second grab every week but a 10-15 minute daily vlog that highlights what our players are about, what they experience, what they feel (their ups and downs) and how they connect to their families, team mates and the community. Imagine this was an embedded practice whereby people could truly connect in their time and on their own medium and understand their team and their players…build a tribe or heck a legion that was massive. So when some players visit a school it has an ability to reach a much wider medium than what would happen today…you know what most parents get when they ask their child how their school day was…”good”.

There you go @Diehard my strategy would be all about ‘connection’ that the titans and rugby league could maximise and I would do this through how we consume our news/entertainment in today’s society.

^
    ^
    ^
    Post of the decade!

@ hammer well written mate. I’m going to use all if not all of that post.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Well done Hammer. I like that it is grounded in the real world based on values and community connections.

Your idea fits well with the youtube landscape. Just need to find the right candidates with the right qualities and commitment to follow through.

We are facing media fragmentation and suddenly the trade barriers are down and we are competing with many other sports for the screen time of our youth. Not just hearts and minds.

This also parallels my latest obsession that I was discussing and thinking about a podcast featuring, well us. Of course that can include videos and another idea we had on here too, well produced and researched videos about club and rugby league history.

Personally one thing that keeps me coming back and makes me unquestionably stick by the club and game is my fellow supporters.

Thanks for the thought provoking post Hammer and certainly rock solid in it's logic.

Inactive User

Well done Hammer
    I still disagree but I appreciate some analysis rather than just flatly saying I’m wrong.
    Was a good read

I agree with both of you Hammer and Bodsie ... expanding reach in the marketplace requires both consolidation and innovation ... do what works for the core group and continually try to penetrated new sectors.

Also with all the teachers/educators/educationalists in the Forum, I’m going to open a new thread for discussion of how to better engage the education sector. And here is the link:

http://www.leagueoftitans.com.au/for...porter-Culture
    Last edited by Titanic; 17-06-18 at 12:59 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I spent the best part of 2 years working in Townsville and the person I worked for had and has close associations with a number of Cowboys players and ex players.

Their strategy was get players to go to school after school after school after school and when the were done , go to another school. They gave freebies, they talked Cowboys , the players interacted with the kids and they kept going back again and again and again to get them at the forefront of the kids minds. Pester power then kicked in. Even when it was picking up , they’d keep going back to schools and still do.

They discounted tickets, gave freebie tickets to kids , and made the experience a family thing.

They have a brilliant, engaging ground announcer. The PA at Cbus is CRAP by the way.
    They use kiss cam at half time - corny yes but it engages the crowd. Also have a goal kicking comp that is effective.
    Half time also had kids leagues games on which provide a laugh.
    They let everyone,kids mainly, on the field after the players have left to mess around for about half an hour or so, they love it .

Even the least popular game get crowds of 12000 on a bad night , usually around the 16000 mark. They got that at the recent Storm game and I was up there for that one as it happens.

Yes they were accessible in shopping centres and generally around the place but schools is where they targeted. And it works. People are decked out in merchandise of all descriptions and you see it around town all the time.

As Mr Bods and others have rightly stated , we don’t do enough on the school front and if the Cowboys success is anything to go by then we should be into it.

The NRL run a junior league clinic once a year and it’s due again very soon. Coles are always involved as a major sponsor and my wife has attended these for the past couple of years in her capacity as a store manager for Coles. Titans always provide at least 3 or 4 players who interact with the kids for most of the day. Last year the had 400 kids. This year they are splitting it as it’s got too big but I would hope again the Titans will be involved. It’s only an annual event but I guess it’s better than not doing it at all.
    Last edited by rj62; 17-06-18 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rj62 View Post
    I spent the best part of 2 years working in Townsville and the person I worked for had and has close associations with a number of Cowboys players and ex players.

Their strategy was get players to go to school after school after school after school and when the were done , go to another school. They gave freebies, they talked Cowboys , the players interacted with the kids and they kept going back again and again and again to get them at the forefront of the kids minds. Pester power then kicked in. Even when it was picking up , they’d keep going back to schools and still do.

They discounted tickets, gave freebie tickets to kids , and made the experience a family thing.

They have a brilliant, engaging ground announcer. The PA at Cbus is CRAP by the way.
    They use kiss cam at half time - corny yes but it engages the crowd. Also have a goal kicking comp that is effective.
    Half time also had kids leagues games on which provide a laugh.
    They let everyone,kids mainly, on the field after the players have left to mess around for about half an hour or so, they love it .

Even the least popular game get crowds of 12000 on a bad night , usually around the 16000 mark. They got that at the recent Storm game and I was up there for that one as it happens.

Yes they were accessible in shopping centres and generally around the place but schools is where they targeted. And it works. People are decked out in merchandise of all descriptions and you see it around town all the time.

As Mr Bods and others have rightly stated , we don’t do enough on the school front and if the Cowboys success is anything to go by then we should be into it.

The NRL run a junior league clinic once a year and it’s due again very soon. Coles are always involved as a major sponsor and my wife has attended these for the past couple of years in her capacity as a store manager for Coles. Titans always provide at least 3 or 4 players who interact with the kids for most of the day. Last year the had 400 kids. This year they are splitting it as it’s got too big but I would hope again the Titans will be involved. It’s only an annual event but I guess it’s better than not doing it at all.
    @r62 I agree the cowboys have a very successful model in this area (I've been told how they do it from those in education) and they have worked from what I have been told very hard on making connections many of which is actually before and after school...but they do have some, in my opinion significant advantages to us... Firstly the number of schools in a close geographical area (acceptable driving distance daily) is much, much smaller than the sheer number on the Gold Coast. Secondly, the other sports do not have the sheer capacity to compete with rugby league for the hearts and minds (eg. No AFL team in Townsville). Thirdly, it does help to have a very successful team over a long period which we haven't had yet (but worth noting they have invested when there has been good times and the payoff will happen when times are lean) and lastly there is a strong player and administration culture that acknowledges it is more than just footy... Therefore they are strategically driven to to bottom to maximise connections between players but also for who you go to the football with.
    @r62 I liked your input... Just for the record I never said don't work with schools...I said if you expect the odd assembly experience to boost your ticket sales than it would be low yield... As you can see from the cowboys model the investment is much, much bigger albeit with some in my opinion advantages.