Bears utility departs for NRL shot

BURLEIGH’S “Mr Fix It” Dylan Kelly has played his last game for the Intrust Super Cup club after agreeing to join Manly feeder side Blacktown effective immediately.

The 25-year-old, who had spent time in the Sea Eagles system before joining Burleigh last year, heads south with ambitions of forcing his way into their NRL squad.

“Hopefully a couple of good performances and a good end to the year will push me into that side,” Kelly said.

“It is hard to leave Burleigh but there is a little opportunity I want to have a crack at and see if it turns into a big one.”

Kelly is 101kg but has often been in the Bears’ front-row – though his last game for the club came at five-eighth seven days ago against Townsville.

“He’s not going to be easy to replace,” said Burleigh coach Jimmy Lenihan.

“I think the only position he didn’t play for us this year so far was wing and hooker. But at the end of the day that’s where we are in the world, blokes are still trying to get an opportunity to go into the NRL and I think Scott Fulton was the one that did his contract so it appeared he may be able to get in the back door at Manly if he goes to Blacktown immediately.

“I’m not going to stop anyone from getting an opportunity.”

Competition leaders Burleigh have a Round 10 bye.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au