Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Womens NRL comp

Default Womens NRL comp

Really exciting to see this happen and perfect time after so many LIVE Womens World Cup games on Seven.

Unsurprisingly the Titans have for the moment ruled this out for us. But perhaps we can join in the future.

Fact is there are heaps of female players in QLD and we need more than one club, surely.

The Titans said through a spokesperson that they are definitely interested, but the timing is "probably not right" due to the current ownership situation. What's more likely is that the Titans attempt to acquire a license during the second wave of applications, when the competition inevitably expands either in 2019 or beyond.
    Source: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Upcoming women’s NRL competition opens the door for Gold Coast rugby league girls

WHEN Taneka Glover started playing rugby league as a 10-year-old, she was the only girl in her team.

Through no fault of her Beenleigh coaches, she felt left out and not as involved as her male teammates.

She hopes this week’s announcement of a women’s NRL competition to launch in 2018 will ensure no girl in future feels the same way.

“I reckon it is pretty exciting because it is giving girls more opportunities to be themselves,” said Glover, now 15.

“Being the only girl (in a mixed team) … you don’t really get the ball as much as you do in a girls team.”

Glover, who idolises Jillaroos ace Steph Hancock, had a couple of years off league before returning in 2016 for Logan Brothers and then moving to Parkwood this year.

Her Sharks teammates Holly Summers and Hannah Robinson are equally pumped about the boom of women’s rugby league.

Summers dreams of playing for the North Queensland Cowboys one day.

“I’ve been playing backyard footy since I was knee high but club footy, I have only been playing for two years,” she said.

“I love the contact. I love being able to run.

“I have loved watching on TV how everyone gets into it, the atmosphere about it.”

Fellow 15-year-old forward Hannah Robinson made her rugby league debut in 2017 and enjoyed it so much she is already planning her return next year.

“It’s really good,” Robinson said.

“I have never really done a contact sport before. Most of my family, my Dad and my brother both played the sport so I have been into it but not really played before so I thought I would give it a go.

“It’s just a good stress relief, get out there and tackle and blow off some steam.”

Of the women’s NRL announcement, Robinson said it is proof that league is “not just a boys sport”.

Further proof can be seen in player numbers.

The only Gold Coast-based female teams in 2017 were a senior Burleigh side and two junior Parkwood sides.

Helensvale, Nerang, Runaway Bay and Mudgeeraba have already expressed interest in filling teams in the 2018 under-14 and under-16 southeast Queensland divisions, while plans are coming together to hold under-8 and under-10 mini-carnivals during the season.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Inactive User

^^^ the Suns have a women’s team going in the AFLW in a couple of years but we however have missed the boat entirely on being in the inaugural season.
    That is what happens when you have a reactive conservative CEO who’s time has come to an end.
    Well done Calamity Annesley.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    ^^^ the Suns have a women’s team going in the AFLW in a couple of years but we however have missed the boat entirely on being in the inaugural season.
    That is what happens when you have a reactive conservative CEO who’s time has come to an end.
    Frankly Bods, I don't see how Annesley could commit to a womens side on behalf of the new owners. I think this is a new owners call, whoever they might be, if it ever gets determined.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Frankly Bods, I don't see how Annesley could commit to a womens side on behalf of the new owners. I think this is a new owners call, whoever they might be, if it ever gets determined.
    To point the finger at Annersley is as MT says not right.... It will be a costly exercise and as the NRL still own the club Annersley doesn't really have a choice.... You do love a target hey Bods.

New owners issue and we have lots of higher priorities.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Oh, NO! Why did this only get announced after Hayne left?

My view is that if the Broncos get involved, which I am sure they will, where are the other team(s) going to come from to service demand?

2017 Harvey Norman Jillaroos World Cup Squad (in alphabetical order)

Kezie Apps * – Helensburgh (NSW)
    Chelsea Baker * – Wallabies Gladstone (QLD)
    Heather Ballinger – Wests Panthers (QLD)
    Annette Brander * – Beerwah Bulldogs (QLD)
    Brittany Breayley * – Brothers Ipswich (QLD)

Sam Bremner – Helensburgh (NSW)
    Ali Brigginshaw – Brothers Ipswich (QLD)
    Karina Brown – Easts Tigers (QLD)
    Nakia Davis-Welsh * – Redfern All Blacks (NSW)
    Vanessa Foliaki * – Easts Tigers (NSW)

Steph Hancock – Easts Tigers (QLD)
    Isabelle Kelly * – North Newcastle (NSW)
    Renae Kunst – Wests Panthers (QLD)
    Corban McGregor * – Cronulla-Caringbah (NSW)
    Caitlin Moran * – North Newcastle (NSW)
    Lavina O’Mealey * – Redfern All Blacks (NSW)
    Talesha Quinn * – Cronulla-Caringbah (NSW)
    Ruan Sims – Cronulla-Caringbah (NSW)
    Maddie Studdon * – Redfern All Blacks (NSW)

Zahara Temara * – Burleigh Bears (QLD)
    Simaima Taufa * – Mounties (NSW)
    Elianna Walton – Greenacre (NSW)

Meg Ward * – Northern Territory (NT)

Rebecca Young * – North Newcastle (NSW)
    * Denotes World Cup debutant

I'll try and find some QLD participation figures.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    To point the finger at Annersley is as MT says not right.... It will be a costly exercise and as the NRL still own the club Annersley doesn't really have a choice.... You do love a target hey Bods.
    Yes. In order it was Searle, Cartwright, Condon, Hayne, Henry and now Annesley is the latest I feel that needs moving on.
    I’ve sort of gone cold on Sir Greg Condon,I sort of dropped off that agenda I had about May/June this year, the shoulder injuries remain a concern to me but if Brennan is happy to keep him then I’ll go along with it.

Junior

Titans would be mad not to have a womens side.

The Burleigh Women's side are the reigning competition champions, having won the comp the last 3 years. They also made up the majority of the South East QLD side which has won the State Carnival for the last 5 years. A number of former Burleigh players have gone on to form the now Easts Tigers side (which includes current Jillaroo Karina Brown who established the Burleigh side).

I think that it a great idea and we should totally do it however the club may wait until it’s sold to make a decision going forward. One key issue is sponsorship. The Titans men’s team struggles to get sponsors at times especially front jersey sponsors. The worry could be that it could erode the small amount of sponsors out there.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Not sure about that BT, the club could sell front of jersey to sponsors and both the men's and women's carry that sponsor...

Junior

Could be quite a large catchment area. Surprised they didn't do a deal with NZ to form a side.

PNG Orchids eyeing chance to play in new Womens National Rugby League
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs....womens/9259110

Annesley spoke strongly of the Titans interest in joining the new competition at today's sponsor presser, and mentioned the strong level of womens rugby league already on the GC. He said he has been talking to the NRL and awaiting further info.