Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Craig Bellamy reveals would coach Titans if he ever left Storm

CRAIG Bellamy says if he were to ever leave Melbourne, he would like to coach at the Gold Coast Titans.

But the Storm’s supercoach thinks his window may have closed with Garth Brennan’s appointment as Titans coach.

The premiership-winning coach was rumoured to have been a target for the Titans after they parted ways with Neil Henry towards the end of last season.

And while he said his contract with the Storm meant his hat was never in the ring to replace Henry, Bellamy said the Titans appealed as a club he would like to be involved with.

“I think the Gold Coast — as someone from the outside looking in — is a great place to base a sporting team in a competition like the NRL,” Bellamy said.

Bellamy has coached the Storm since 2003.
    “Certainly if I was to ever change clubs as a coach, the Gold Coast would be a place of interest for me.

“But I have another year to go here, the Titans have just appointed a new coach, and I genuinely hope he does well. So me coaching up there is probably unlikely to happen now”.

Bellamy and the Storm will square off against Brennan’s new-look Titans at the Suncorp Stadium double-header on Saturday, May 12.

The double-header, which will also feature a clash between the Broncos and Manly, has become one of the feature events on the footy calendar and will again be the showcase match of the NRL’s indigenous Round.

Garth Brennan was appointed as Neil Henry’s replacement on the Gold Coast.
    Tickets go on sale on Monday, and until December 15 fans can purchase seats at “early bird” prices starting at $14.70 for juniors and $36.55 for adults.

Suncorp Stadium General Manager Alan Graham said fans who purchase tickets during the “early bird” window would also go into the running to win a 2018 Double-header VIP Experience.

In Melbourne’s all-conquering 2017 season, the Storm only lost on four occasions — and one of those was an unexpected 38-36 loss to the Titans at Suncorp.

“I am not a big fan of taking a home game away, I have to say,” Bellamy said. “But if we do have to take a home game away, I am glad that we are taking it Suncorp Stadium.

“The double-header is a great concept because it creates a real big-match atmosphere. There is a real fondness in our team for Suncorp. It’s something we look forward to every year.”

One thing Bellamy won’t have to plan for in his preparations for the Titans match next year is Jarryd Hayne, who officially quit the Titans to rejoin Parramatta during the week.

“I don’t like to make comments about what is happening at another club and their players. But I will say, I find the whole thing to be a real shame to see it play out the way it did,” he said.

“It turned out to be quite a devastating time for a couple of guys there. Neil Henry is gone, and now Jarryd is gone.

“Everyone lost out of the whole saga, and the biggest loser has been the Titans because they did what they thought was right, and at the end of it they lost their coach and their marquee player.

“It got to the stage where one of them had to go, and now they are both gone and the club has to start again.”
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Christ that hurt to read

Quote Originally Posted by NZTITAN View Post
    Christ that hurt to read
    Yep. My conspiracy is that Brennan answers a SOS from Penrith after they punt Hook end of next year. Then hello Bellamy.

Well one can dream. But you’re right hurt to read that.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Yeah....no comment.

Me inside right now *What if...*

Inactive User

I’d rather have the next Bellamy than the current Bellamy and we have the next Bellamy in Brennan.

I do hope you are right Bodsy

First Grader

I am extremely happy with Brennan so far. I think we have made the right choice

We made a good choice for the position we were in when our head coach was sacked with a year remaining on his contract. In saying that does Bellamy realise we only pay about $350-400K for a coach?

It's a pretty unhelpful article actually. If we struggle through this season and our style of play is poor, all the speculation about Bellamy coming here will fire straight up. Pressure that no one needs.

Another gift from sh!t stHayne, if only Henry was finishing his contract next year....

I doubt I could’ve taken another year of Henry bashing to be honest. I wish we hadn’t extended his contract after ‘16.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    Another gift from sh!t stHayne, if only Henry was finishing his contract next year....
    Great point.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    “sh!t stHayne”....brilliant.

What a tremendous endorsement of our club's future.

“I think the Gold Coast — as someone from the outside looking in — is a great place to base a sporting team in a competition like the NRL,” Bellamy said.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    What a tremendous endorsement of our club's future.
    Absolutely, however, as long as we continue to base our clubs philosophy around those of displaced Sydneyites then we may as well go surfing on a large loaf of bread. See you Annesley. Thanks for the memories but we need to develop a Gold Coast siege mentality like all regional clubs. I'm tired of being the NRL's foster child.
    Last edited by Titanic; 03-12-17 at 12:46 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.