Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sarginson

Default Sarginson

NRL player bragged about pay, court told
    2:48pm Nov 1, 2017

A Gold Coast NRL player bragged about his salary after allegedly assaulting a security guard, a court has heard.

England international Daniel Sarginson, 24, in the Southport Magistrates Court has pleaded not guilty to one count of assault occasioning bodily harm.

The Gold Coast Titans player is accused of hitting a security guard at a Burleigh Heads hotel in June after he and a friend were refused entry.

During the first day of Sarginson's trial, security guard Kurt Smith testified Sarginson said after the alleged assault: "I'm on half a mill mate, I can do what I want".

Mr Smith said he was struck in the face by Sarginson, and then pinned the rugby league player to the ground by lying on him.

"He was quite strong and aggressive," Mr Smith said about Sarginson's behaviour.

The court was shown footage of the incident that also showed another security guard appearing to kick and knee one of Sarginson's friends in a scuffle following the alleged assault.

The court heard Mr Smith didn't file an official complaint with police until three days after the incident, forcing police to withdraw an infringement notice, which had already been issued against Sarginson.

The trial continues.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...assault-charge
    Psmitty

What sh!t is this? Honestly, pack him up and send him back wherever the fark he came from. He hardly farted in the general direction of an NRL game and gets paid whatever to sit on the sidelines or back in Limey, wherever he is in rehab. That sort of behaviour is why fringe NRL wannabe's remain wannabes. That 500k right now gets Leary or even Crichton. WTF? I really am tired of that crap. I hope that Brennan has a dislike for Pommies.

I know, I know ... I was Sarginson and Greenwood's biggest supporter but now I'm older :0
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Couldn't give a **** about Sarginson's trial. What's more important is some goose at the Club was prepared to hand over half a Mil for that pathetic performance we go out of him this year. Heads should roll for that ****e.

Inactive User

Yeah what a tosser.

No ******** policy. Hope the charges stick and we get $500k back.

Where are the thumbs when you need them?

Can he take Greenwood with him and we can have Leary and Crichton?

Inactive User

Dan Sarginson acquitted of all criminal charges after assault trial

GOLD Coast Titans player Daniel Sarginson has been acquitted of all criminal charges relating to incident at Burleigh Heads Hotel on June 24.

Sarginson, 24, was acquitted after pleading not guilty to assault ocassioning bodily harm after a one-day trial in the Southport Magistrates Court today.

He was also found not guilty of the alternate charge of common assault after Magistrate Mark Howden found he had acted in self defence.

More to come

Earlier, Sarginson denied punching a bouncer in the side of the face during a night out at Burleigh Heads with teammate Kevin Proctor.

Sarginson, 24, pleaded not guilty to assault occasioning bodily harm in the Southport Magistrates Court today.

The police case was based around allegations Sarginson punched security guard Kurt Smith at the Burleigh Heads Hotel on June 24 after a friend was denied entry to the venue.

The court also heard Sarginson had been asked to leave the venue.

Gold Coast Titans player Dan Sarginson arrives at the Southport Magistrates Court. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
    Sarginson, who took the stand to give evidence this afternoon, said he was “fearful” of the security guards who allegedly said “come on let’s go” and pinned him to the ground after pushing him down a flight of stairs.

Sarginson confessed to pushing a bouncer in self-defence but said he was never denied entry.

Footage played to the court shows Sarginson being pushed down a flight of stairs before a scuffle breaks out between he and three security guards.

Sarginson conceded he “pushed” Mr Smith after seeing his friend attacked by another guard.

He denied punching him.

“(Security) had completely manhandled my friend,” Sarginson said.

“I thought: ‘What’s the chance it could happen to me?’

“I just wanted to get out of there and call it a night.”

Gold Coast Titans player Dan Sarginson arrives at the Southport Magistrates Court on the Gold Coast, Wednesday, November 1, 2017. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
    In evidence, Mr Smith told the court Sarginson gloated about his salary during the scuffle saying: “I’m on half a mil mate, I can do what I want.”

However, in court, Sarginson denied making the statement saying it was “garbage”.

“I wish I was,” he said.

Following the prosecution case, defence lawyer Campbell MacCallum argued there was no case to answer to the charge of assault occasioning bodily harm.

CCTV footage of Titans player Dan Sarginson when he allegedly was involved in the incident.
    However, Magistrate Mark Howden said even if the charge of assault occasioning bodily harm could not be proven, a common assault conviction was still a possibility.

In evidence, Sarginson told the court he had been drinking with two friends from England and Mr Proctor before heading out to the Burleigh Heads Hotel.

He said he was trying to leave the venue after his friend was denied entry to the club.

“Because I play rugby I know everything gets blown out of proportion,” Sarginson said.

He said he was on the phone to Mr Procter, who was inside, when he was pushed down the stairs.

Sarginson told the court he was trying to get Mr Proctor to leave as he was worried the situation would escalate because of the player’s profile.

“Kevin is an A-Grade player ... he has a huge profile and anything he’s associated with blows up even more than me ... I just wanted to get out of there,” Sarginson said.

The court heard Sarginson was pinned to the ground after he pushed one of the guards and sustained further injury to his shoulder, which he had surgery on only weeks earlier.

He was allegedly kneed in the back and punched in the face by a security guard, who the court heard had been charged following the incident.

A witness told the court she saw a guard spit in Sarginson’s face and was told by guards to delete a recording she made of the incident.

Dan Sarginson (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
    She described the scuffle as a “vile attack”.

“There was so much said (to Sarginson) in such a short amount of time,” she said.

“They said: ‘Now I know who you are, you’re not so tough now are you?’.”

The court also heard two of the three security guards involved in the incident on June 24 no longer worked at the Burleigh Heads Hotel.

Mr MacCallum argued the security guards had colluded before giving evidence against Sarginson.

“The evidence given by the security providers, at best, is unreliable,” he said.

“At it’s worst it is simply untruthful.”

The trial continues this afternoon.

Earlier a court was told a Gold Coast NRL player bragged about his salary after allegedly assaulting a security guard, a court has heard.

CCTV footage from the alleged incident.
    Daniel Sarginson, 24, has pleaded not guilty to one count of assault occasioning bodily harm at the Southport Magistrates Court today.

The Gold Coast Titans player is accused of hitting a security guard at a Burleigh Heads hotel in June after he and a friend were refused entry.

During the first day of Sarginson’s trial, security guard Kurt Smith said the England international player said after the alleged assault: “I’m on half a mill mate, I can do what I want”.

Mr Smith said he was struck in the face by Sarginson, and then pinned the rugby league player to the ground by lying on him.

“He was quite strong and aggressive,” Mr Smith said about Sarginson’s behaviour.

The court was shown footage of the incident which also showed another security guard appearing to kick and knee one of Sarginson’s friends in a scuffle following the alleged assault.

The trial continues.

Looks like we are stuck with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Where are the thumbs when you need them?

Can he take Greenwood with him and we can have Leary and Crichton?
    I am with you on getting rid of greenwood, looks like we are stuck with sarginson for now. Crighton would be a huge coup

Inactive User

^^^ to me Greenwood is acceptable as a number 16 off the bench back rower. He’s not that bad. But as a starting 2nd rower-NO!

Greenwood was solid until about 6 rounds from home ( like most of them ) when he hands turned to feet and his head knocks starting getting to him.

Im not sure Sarg said that, but even if he did he was full of piss and probably exaggerating. 400k isnt over the top for a rep player as long as they went ok, but he never quite got going.

When we signed him it was before Koni, Peats, Proctor, Hayne. Before Ash had taken off really... we were pretty desperate for someone decent and his resume was pretty good for his age.

Not as bad as warriors paying a million for Tomkins or us 1 Million for Hayne, and at least it was 2 years, not 5.

He can show us something this year or not, up to him really.

I’m on a new focus this year. No more overpaid Nuffies. New coach, youth development or marquee and nothing in the middle.

For any who witnessed the footage this was always going to be the result. This was a stitch up from the beginning. Quality player who showed he is above average defensively in the few games he managed before injury.
    We have to battle a vitriolic and biased band of journalists, a totally useless duo of broadcasters stacked with opinionated dribblers, and now our own supporters who take pleasure in turning on one of our own.
    Show some support and respect for your club and the players within.

Quote Originally Posted by gcboyz View Post
    For any who witnessed the footage this was always going to be the result. This was a stitch up from the beginning. Quality player who showed he is above average defensively in the few games he managed before injury.
    We have to battle a vitriolic and biased band of journalists, a totally useless duo of broadcasters stacked with opinionated dribblers, and now our own supporters who take pleasure in turning on one of our own.
    Show some support and respect for your club and the players within.
    Good post mate.

Off you go mate

Good on him for getting off but I don't retract my desire to see players like him and Greenwood off our books.

I have an issue generally with paying higher dollars for players to come over and 'try their hand'. Our investment in both those guys has far out-weighed any return. One arrived busted and the other dawdles around the left edge. Happy to be proved wrong but having backed both these guys in originally I am now not a fan.

Hopefully, Brennan with new owners and some cap space can attract either youth or quality.